TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
dh86

Smackdown to leave the CW

Mediaweek has a report this afternoon adding more details to the split between WWE and the CW Network that was announced last night. Smackdown will no longer air on the CW after September 12, 2008, which coincides with the end of the fall network TV season.

The report includes information from insiders at CW, with their general belief that WWE's ratings in the key adult 18-49 demographic were slowing. WWE's product, especially Smackdown, has been strongly marketed toward kids recently, which has led to lower adult demographic ratings.

From Mediaweek's report: "The CW insiders said the network was not exactly excited about renewing, since the Smackdown adult 18-34 rating this season had decreased to a 1.4, which made it only the seventh highest-rated show on the network in prime time."

CW also feels that Smackdown, despite its strong overall ratings, isn't a good fit on the CW, as viewers tune in for Smackdown, but don't watch any other programming. The report quoted one CW insider: "No one who watched Smackdown watched any of our other shows on any other night."

The lack of crossover viewership for other TV shows on the CW hurt the network financially, as they couldn't package commercial timeslots to advertisers with "other CW female-skewing shows." The report quotes a CW insider, who says, "I think we just knew it was time to move in another direction."

liars, I watched Reaper until the writers strike axed it. If they'd add programming that wasn't reality crap or teenage girl crap I would buy the argument but thats all they put on.

I think when they say no one watched the other shows they're talking about all the women oriented ones they try to sell as top shows like Gossip Girl or America's Next Top Model.

I actually watched Reaper too, I thought that was the only decent show on that station.

Supernatural is a really good show and it comes on CW too. But hardly anyone knows about it because they don't advertise it much.

Supernatural is badass, but I'm always working when it's on. Suppose there is always dvds.

--Not a lot has gotten out regarding the WWE making the announcement they will be off the CW Network as of the end of September. WWE made the announcement last night when finding out CW was going to send the news to its affiliates today, so that the word would get out. If they had a new deal in place, they would have announced it. Just to clear a few things up contractually. Legally, they can go anywhere on network or pay-TV (HBO, Showtime). No way HBO will touch them, as during the hot period, HBO talked about it, felt wrestling would be good for ratings and decided against going in that direction because they considered it low-rent programming. Showtime is possible, but it is in so few homes that it would be a killer to the brand. On cable, they can only go to stations under the NBC Universal umbrella, like USA and Sci-Fi. Spike or TBS are contractually prohibited. The best bet seems to be MyNetworkTV, which is in basically the same number of homes as CW, but desperately needs a show that will draw ratings. It would make sense for MNTV to move the show back to Thursday, because you should have your star show on a night viewership is highest. It'll be interesting to see how this all plays out.

On the surface, it does look like MNTV is the front runner. NBC probably don't want Smackdown on USA for the aforementioned reason of not wanting to look the wrestling network, and WWE probably don't want Smackdown on Sci-Fi, if only because it would put Smackdown on the same network as ECW, and that might be seen as dragging Smackdown down to the level of ECW.

That MyNetworkTV station is basically what became of my local UPN channel once that merger happened with the WB. It's also an HD channel for me and in fact is just 1 spot on the dial from CW. So that would be fine with me...the HD feed can't be worse.

What's sad is since the move to High Definition WWE tv is probably visually the best looking thing on television. The new set and the colors look awesome and the camera work and production seems top notch. But they will never escape the "low-rent" programming tag because of the fan base that Vince and creative cater to. How many of us have feel shame when a girlfriend or friend walk into the room and there is Vince McMahon on our television - with his bare ass - demanding that a midget leprechaun kiss his ass. It's difficult to admit to watching and impossible to justify. How can you market THAT to a network? "Yeah, this woman is the widow of one of our deceased wrestlers, obviously not the one that killed his wife and child, we have her in this storyline where she's aligned with our top bad guy and the little guy in the mask is concerned about his dead friend's estate - isn't that great!"

Maybe if they treated this thing like a real television show. Hired real writers from established shows under the NBC/Universal umbrella to produce storylines and create characters. They don't have to target the lowest demo. If something like American Gladiators can make an impact on NBC so can WWE - if it wasn't the bullshit product we have right now. If Dick Ebersol had more control perhaps. But Vince would probably rather go on MyNetworkTV than listen to someone tell him what to do with his product.

The WWE guys got nice pops at the last UFC PPV. People, whether they are current wrestling fans or not, will always be enamored by the characters and have shown that they will watch if there are personalities that come along like Hogan, Piper, Flair, Rock, Austin, etc. But the structure of WWE, the badly scripted promos, the stopped pushes, etc. keep any new stars from catching on. Or they catch on and their legs are cut underneath of them because SOMEONE is threatened or an agent doesn't like their attitude.

I know - I'm not saying anything new. I just hate how wrestling is perceived by tv types and how there is this attitude that the entire fan base are stupid hillbillies - not NASCAR hillbillies even - but rather people who don't have money for cars, electronic gadgets, beer, etc. I think a lot of the wrestling audience buys stuff that isn't zit creme, drug store body spray, Starbursts and video games.

While the new set is awesome, their production has suffered in the last few weeks as they seem to be framing everything for HD without considering how the SD feed looks.

I dunno about everyone else but my HD feed of SD looks like crap. I almost felt like turning to the standard channel since the HD feed has so many breakups and blurry crap in it. It has to be the network since the Rumble HD broadcast looked great.

justcoz, I think you nicely summed up a lot of the problems WWE has run into, trying to still be Vince's version of toilet humor and shock TV, but at the same time trying to be a publicly traded company and vying for bigger time slots on better networks, etc.

While the new set is awesome, their production has suffered in the last few weeks as they seem to be framing everything for HD without considering how the SD feed looks.

I agree. There were a couple of spots in the Rumble where the camera seemed to miss something they never would've before.

The HD is great... As someone mentioned above me, they just need to letterbox the SD feed, and it would solve that problem. But the HD feed is fantastic, and the camera angles look really good in HD.

WWE HD is probably the best visually produced HD on television right now.. I give major props to the WWE production team.

SD has a new home. From WO.com

WWE announced today that MyNetworkTV would be the new home for Smackdown starting in September.

In a joint announcement by Vince McMahon and MyNetwork President Greg Miedel, they announced the partnership. No terms were publicly announced for the deal, nor was a night of the week for the show announced, other than the show would stay in its two-hour format.

MyNetworkTV and WGN were the only two networks to show major interest in a product that would significantly boost ratings for all but the major broadcast network stations. Due to significantly more clearances, MyNetworkTV was clearly the best option for WWE.

Wwe better get their pick of day and timeslot. Getting off Friday night could possibly make up for the downgrade station move. Wednesdays would probably be the best move, however they'd also have to move ECW from Tuesdays if possible. three straight nights of wwe programming would be too much.

I suspect ECW will be folded when the current contract runs out. I mean if SD! ends up on MyNetworkTV and ECW lost it's only Sci-Fi backer, it's virtually doomed.

I never got UPN, so I was FINALLY able to get SD when they merged with WB and became the CW.

...so now they're going back to a channel I don't get. Fucking Smackdown.

I get SOME MyNetwork TV shows in syndication, played early in the day on CW.

So maybe I'll have like...2 PM on Tuesday for SD, or some shit like that.

Mediaweek has a report this afternoon adding more details to the split between WWE and the CW Network that was announced last night. Smackdown will no longer air on the CW after September 12, 2008, which coincides with the end of the fall network TV season.

The report includes information from insiders at CW, with their general belief that WWE's ratings in the key adult 18-49 demographic were slowing. WWE's product, especially Smackdown, has been strongly marketed toward kids recently, which has led to lower adult demographic ratings.

From Mediaweek's report: "The CW insiders said the network was not exactly excited about renewing, since the Smackdown adult 18-34 rating this season had decreased to a 1.4, which made it only the seventh highest-rated show on the network in prime time."

CW also feels that Smackdown, despite its strong overall ratings, isn't a good fit on the CW, as viewers tune in for Smackdown, but don't watch any other programming. The report quoted one CW insider: "No one who watched Smackdown watched any of our other shows on any other night."

The lack of crossover viewership for other TV shows on the CW hurt the network financially, as they couldn't package commercial timeslots to advertisers with "other CW female-skewing shows." The report quotes a CW insider, who says, "I think we just knew it was time to move in another direction."

So the Network gets pissed when the WWE tries and run with a more adult content storyline with Hassan/Taker and then get pissed when they start to cater to children again because they got neutered...

Yeah!

Good job gang.

Also I watch CW all the time in the middle of the afternoon, it's got a good block of Reba and What I Like About you reruns.

I like those two shows.

The evening stuff is all soap operaish drivel though. It's basically becoming Oxygen Lite.

I'm currently interning for a large market CW affiliate and honestly the highest rated programming on a consistent basis is "Family Guy" reruns or so I've heard.