TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
HarleyQuinn

Desert Island Draft Thread

You are correct. "What's the Difference" can get some party play too, depending on the scenery.

"Xxplosive" used to get a fair amount of burn at high school parties way back when. "Let's Get High" and "Bang Bang" for that matter, too.

I've seen "Fuck You" be popular at parties and "The Watcher" for mellower moments. This is why I pick that CD, damn near every song has memories attached to it and/or can set the mood.

Fuck you is a popular one everywhere.

Everyone knew the lyrics when I went to a concert where Devin The Dude was performing.

Gah! Is the time difference working against me here? To be fair I've only heard War and The Joshua Tree from the U2 discography, but still.

straightouttacomptonsmakb1.jpg

NWA - Straight Outta Compton (1988)

Hip hop is fast proving to be a popular choice in this here competition. Knowing the general tastes of this board, I thought this was a more urgent pick than some of my other favourite albums, although there are two that I'm not so sure about. Anyway: onto the album itself. Sure, this is a polarising release in some ways, since gangsta rap would probably not exist on the scale that it currently does without it, but still, contained within are several of the finest rap songs ever penned. Whilst Dr. Dre's beats would become even greater in the earyly 1990s, there's a certain funkyness to these numbers that contrasts with the humourously misanthropic lyrics really well. The opening trifecta of "Straight Outta Compton", "Fuck tha Police" and "Gangsta Gangsta" is quite possibly my favourite threesome ever, each one building into even more of an angry state until the groovy refrain of "If It Ain't Rough". "I Ain't tha 1" is possibly the most misogynistic thing ever, and it's all the better for it. Of course, the most important thing about any rapper is his ability to rap, not to write, and Ice Cube and Mc Ren are in top form throughout. Seriously, Cube's delivery is subliminal and Ren's flow is pretty addictive itself. Easy E is the only real genital wart on here, but he does provide some goodtime comedy through his attempts at rapping. Oh, just to mention every member (and because I should anyway), this album was also produced by Dj Yella, I'm not sure what effect that had on the record since I haven't heard any other release he's been involved with, but still, the production here is really good, so I presume he's a good producer.

I have an aside as well! "Parental Discretion Iz Advised" is awesome.

My next pick is....

66811.jpg

Lil' Flip - Undaground Legend

This is Lil Flip's 1st nationally released CD and also what got him famous mainstream. His hit "The Way We Ball" was a national hit and got him radio play all over the country. I still listen to it 6 years after it's release.

Since In The Aeroplane... has been knocked out of contention, I tried to think of an album that appeals to me in a similar manner, and came up with this:

d66640td4gj.jpg

The Flaming Lips - Clouds Taste Metallic

My favorite Lips album. People who are only familiar with the current Yoshimi-fied version of the band might be surprised by how loud and noisy this is. Unlike some of their earlier albums, however, the inclination towards feedback doesn't overwhelm their incredible ability to write pop songs. Wayne Coyne's lyrics are whimsical, "psychedelic" (or at least what counts for psychedelic to your average hipster), and inscrutable, and yet the songs are all very emotionally direct in their own way.

I'm going to resist the recent trend to pick a hip-hop album, and stay in the seventies a little while longer:

ParliamentMotherShip-CD-Cover.jpg

Parliament - Mothership Connection

I feel that this album defined a style, and laid the groundwork for "P-funk," which would go on to inspire the "G-funk" era of the early nineties. An album of listenable tracks that included three hits: P-Funk (Wants to Get Funked Up), Mothership Connection (Star Child) and Give Up The Funk (Tear The Roof Off The Sucker).

I had this one sent in a pm, but I got here just in time, apparently.

Miles-davis-in-a-silent-way.jpg

Miles Davis - In A Silent Way

My favorite Miles. I know Gene liked this one a lot, and when I saw he went another way, I figured I'd be safe holding onto this for a bit.

So here it is. This is like what Van Gogh's Starry Night would sound like. This album doesn't just sound cool and relaxing, it is cool and relaxing. It's sitting on the porch with a cold drink on a warm, breezy night. It's luudes on the beach. It's the summer between sixth and seventh grade. It's afterglow.

Miles has been more interesting, but never better, in my opinion.

This is actually a perfect night for it too. I'm going to listen to it now.

Guest Tzar Lysergic

I do love that one, and a favorite of mine for a while, but it's no longer essential to me. As far as Miles goes, I can't believe Kind of Blue took so long to hit me. That record deserves all of the praise it receives.

AqueminiOutKast.jpg

OutKast - Aquemini

I'm not a huge hip-hop fan by any means, but Aquemini is irresistible, even when taken out of a historical context that shows it may have momentarily saved the genre from Puff Daddy's tyrannical run of samples posing as singles, even when shifted away from a wistful remembrance of days before Andre went all trimillennial. Here, they simply tip their hat in respect to P-Funk musically, rather than completely drive their adoration through a brick wall, and the result is their most consistent offering to date. This would be worth it even if the only track was "Rosa Parks", which still provides the best encapsulation of all of their influences and rhyme-javelin' inclinations.

AqueminiOutKast.jpg

OutKast - Aquemini

I'm not a huge hip-hop fan by any means, but Aquemini is irresistible, even when taken out of a historical context that shows it may have momentarily saved the genre from Puff Daddy's tyrannical run of samples posing as singles, even when shifted away from a wistful remembrance of days before Andre went all trimillennial. Here, they simply tip their hat in respect to P-Funk musically, rather than completely drive their adoration through a brick wall, and the result is their most consistent offering to date. This would be worth it even if the only track was "Rosa Parks", which still provides the best encapsulation of all of their influences and rhyme-javelin' inclinations.

FINALLY. When "Lil' Flip" went before this I was about ready to write this whole contest off. God damn. One of the best hip-hop albums of all time.

Rolling-Stones-Let-It-Bleed---Se-379096.jpg

The Rolling Stones- Let It Bleed 1969

Now, I know a lot of hardcore Stones fans don't rate this one as high as I do, but I love this album. My favorite from an amazing run of albums stretching from the late 60's to the early-mid 70's. The opening of "Gimme Shelter" still gives me chills when I hear it, the whole album top to bottom is really solid. You have a blues standard("Love In Vain"), a modernized blues song in "Midnight Rambler"(with some vicious lyrics by Mick), Keith's first solo vocal performance with "You Got The Silver", an uptempo rocker-"Live With Me" and the anthemic "You Can't Always Get What You Want" as the closer. To me, not a bad one in the bunch, with the Stones hitting on all cylinders. This is one I definitely have to take with me.

Police-album-synchronicity.jpg

The Police - Synchronicity 1983

The band's last studio album which many consider their best. While arguments for Outlandos d'Amour and Ghost in the Machine could be made for best Police album, the true testament is that in the latest umpteenth greatest hits collection released in 2007 8 out of the albums 11 tracks were included. The album alone could be considered a greatest hits package with "Every Breath You Take", "Wrapped Around Your Finger" and my personal favorite "King of Pain".

"Message In a Bottle" is my favorite Police song.

You know, I do love Aquemini, but I always seem to forget it when I'm doing or talking about a greatest of all time thing. It was the furthest thing from my mind in this thread, for one, and I've got one or two more rap albums squirreled away. Good call.

I mean, yah... Lil Flip? I didn't see that one coming.

Straight Outta Compton, by the way, I think is more important than outright good, although it is and I listen to it a lot. It's totally frontloaded. The rest of the album almost seems like a drag after the opening three tracks.

Fuck a Outkast. Texas>>>>>>> atlanta

No.

Yes. Any place that jeezy calls home loses.

I've never been to Atlanta, but Texas is possibly the most godawful place I have ever visited.

I'm talking about music.

Guest Beastalentier
"Message In a Bottle" is my favorite Police song.

"Can't Stand Losing You" or "So Lonely" for me.

"Can't Stand Losing You" is my favorite as well with "De Do Do Do, De Da Da Da" coming in a close 2nd. I have an unabashed love for songs that prominently feature gibberish.

No.

I've never been to Atlanta, but Texas is possibly the most godawful place I have ever visited.

I'm talking about music.

I'll take Outkast, T.I., Ludacris, Dungeon Family and Cee-Lo (hell, even Lil Scrappy) over the Texas rap scene, that's just a personal call, though. I think the Atlanta stuff is more interesting, especially production-wise. I've tried to get into the Houston stuff, I just find it boring, to be honest.

As far as critical success, commercial success, inovation, importance, cultural relevance, staying power and even my own personal taste: Outkast>Lil Flip

No.

I'm talking about music.

I'll take Outkast, T.I., Ludacris, Dungeon Family and Cee-Lo (hell, even Lil Scrappy) over the Texas rap scene, that's just a personal call, though. I think the Atlanta stuff is more interesting, especially production-wise. I've tried to get into the Houston stuff, I just find it boring, to be honest.

As far as critical success, commercial success, inovation, importance, cultural relevance, staying power and even my own personal taste: Outkast>Lil Flip

I'd take UGK, Scarface, Lil Flip, Geto Boys, Devin Da Dude, SUC (Screwed Up Click), Slim Thug, ect.

No.

I'm talking about music.

I'd take UGK, Scarface, Lil Flip, Geto Boys, Devin Da Dude, SUC (Screwed Up Click), Slim Thug, ect.

Its kind of like the beginning of Dinosaucers where the two different groups are running at each other.

No.

I'm talking about music.

Its kind of like the beginning of Dinosaucers where the two different groups are running at each other.

Fucking wow. I had no idea what you were talking about until I looked it up on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tv2ndRhnc9c

That might be the weirdest/most fucked up shit i've ever seen.

The Man In Blak is The Pain In My Ass, for taking an album I was sure I would lose a mere handful of picks before things got back around to me. I got all excited. Looks like it was worth it for Neutral Milk Hotel, though, because this also survived a whopping 28 choices:

c37668p4306.jpg

The Notorious B.I.G. - Ready to Die

One of my top-5 rap albums. At the center of it all is "Juicy," one of the most joyous songs I know and one I'd be really happy to have on call if I were stuck by myself for the rest of my life. Like Doggystyle, this is another one with good memories attached, namely back-and-forth singalongs of "Gimme the Loot" and "Warning" on long car rides that felt like 20 minutes with this as the soundtrack. Happiness aside, Big was pretty close to perfect on this, and he owns the whole thing (Method Man's unadvertised appearance on "The What" is the only guest shot). It's the rare super-long rap album that manages to entirely avoid filler. If forced to do a firm, objective breakdown of strengths and weaknesses in hip hop albums, I would probably cite Ready to Die (or Aquemini, ya bastard) as the best I've ever heard.

daft punk - discovery (2001)

daft punk was crazy everywhere in 07. and its all thanks to this album. homework was straight house. human after all was too much rock. this was the mixture. an album over 5 years in the making. perfect pop. probably the best pop album since purple rain. they synthesized all of their influences and made an album with worldwide appeal. they'll never come close to touching this again. nor, if i may be so bold, will any dance act. as perfect of an album as there has been made in the past 25 years.