TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
HarleyQuinn

Desert Island Draft Thread

You guys, if you're going to quote a post, edit out everything except the most recently added line. The one you're responding to.

Milky's a Nazi.

I'll quote it all.

Which just HAPPENS to be the most recently added line this time.

You win this round.

Guest Vitamin X

Nirvana-Bleach.jpg

Nirvana - Bleach

Although not as popular or as critically acclaimed as their other albums, Bleach to me was and is always their best album. It exemplifies their raw sound, and it has a ton of great, catchy songs to go along with all the rough stuff.

31502-0-300-0-300.jpg

Venom - Black Metal

It was between this one and Welcome To Hell, which to me, could be pretty much the same album. I chose this one for its significane in the whole black metal album. Fun as shit to listen to and bang heads to. Got me into my black metal phase (along with Emperor and Immortal) back just after high school. Not a popoular or even well known choice here, but this is what I'D take to the desert island, dammit.

wolf parade - apologies to queen mary (2004)

nothing to say. just a great album. play it at a party sometime. my own personal party on an island will be a happenin. from the opening footstomp to the this heart's on fire, incidently one of the most romantic songs ever, this album never quits.

f90430prbmv.jpg

Pixies - Surfer Rosa

In all honesty, from start to finish, I like Doolittle better. Fortunately, I like Surfer Rosa almost as much, because if there's a Pixies song I need to have forever, it's "Where Is My Mind?" That guitar part is eternally printed on my cochlea and played a huge part in getting me to start broadening my musical horizons. The album's greatness is also helped by the fact that the first 7 songs leading up to and peaking at "Where Is My Mind?" are pretty much perfect. I would also keep the liner notes so I could remember what breasts looked like, if I started to forget after a decade or so of beachy exile.

Guest Beastalentier

I had Paul as more of an Ermac, destroying us telekinetically.

Guest Beastalentier

D'aww, Mortal Kombat sucked, anyway. Super Street Fighter II is the thinking man's fighting game.

I wasn't terribly good at Mortal Kombat back in its heyday, so I was a big fan of Baraka. Chopping a guy up with his sword arms by smashing punch was almost as satisfying as a too-complex-for-my-stubby-10-year-old-fingers-to-manage fatality.

Maybe we'll work out a trade later on. Surfer Rosa, my #15, and cash considerations for Aquemini and Vin Baker.

Edit: I ripped shit up with Cammy.

Guest Beastalentier

Blanka sucked. Didn't handle well. My skill set is speed-oriented, so I can really only use Vega or Fei Long.

Cammy's aurora borealis/castle/bridge stage had really cool music, but Sagat's gamelan stuff was always my favorite. Luckily, it usually takes me several tries to get past tiger!/tiger!/tigerKNEE/tiger uppercut!/tiger!/tiger uppercut!, so I get to hear it a lot.

41XZ43YYX9L._AA240_.jpg

Neil Hamburger - America's Funnyman

This album will help me laugh by being really unfunny. The highlight of this is certainly when he gets people to make some noise by telling them that this is being recorded, so some guy commandeers the mic and yells "METALLICAAAAAAAA!!!!!" so loudly that it makes the mic overmodulate and fuzz out. Anti-humor at its best. Hey, I lost this album when my hard drive crashed, so if you have it so I can take it to the island with me, please PM me with a sendspace link! Or, better yet, post it on the board so all can delight in Neil Hamburger.

EDIT: I swear you said Blanka and changed it to Baraka after I posted.

Nope, Baraka from the start. I was in an MK-only context until I saw that you had post-leapfrogged me with the SSF2 reference. You must have been thinking your usual wistful thoughts about Blanka Marvin.

Guest Beastalentier

A Jew-hating arm-bladed political messiah? Recipe for success if you ask me.

I'm enjoying (I never know if "eating," "drinking," or even "consuming" is appropriate for a McDonald's shake product) my annual shamrock shake, it's warm out, I'm in high spirits, I'm picking another album.

3013.jpg

Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark - Architecture & Morality

I haven't seen much electronic in this exercise, so here's some. It's so delightfully poppy, you could call it musical opium! "The New Stone Age" is really intense and cool in a druggy paranoid Station to Station way, and could've easily fit on that album, but it's just a fantastic opener here. "Souvenir" and "Joan of Arc" are brilliant songs that I can't help, well, not singing, but sort of just yelling to at (off)key moments of each, which you can probably figure out were you to listen to them. The long instrumental passages are nice complements to the well-condensed synthpop songs. It just sort of delivers a lot of things that one could ask for, I guess, so thanks, OMD.

Van.Halen.-.Van.Halen.jpg

Van Halen- Van Halen 1978

It was between either this or 1984, but overall this one had a much more consistent feel to it. Literally, the first half of the album is a string of classics. Plus, Ain't Talkin' About Love is one of my personal favorites.

Guest Beastalentier
Literally, the first half of the album is a string of classics.

Well, unless they engraved an audio recording on a spool of thread, then no, it isn't literally a string of classics.

348181.jpg

Sex Pistols- Never Mind The Bollocks, Here's the Sex Pistols 1977

Gotta have a punk album with me, so if I'm going to take one, it has to be this. Of course, everybody knows that this is the only album recorded by the band and it stills stands up to the test of time. When you listen to it, you can just picture Johnny Rotten sneering and you can feel the attitude on every track. Favorites include "Bodies", "God Save The Queen", "Submission", and "Anarchy In The U.K."

Edit: Dammit, Darthtiki got the album I was going to pick next....

In regards to SF, I'm a Dhalsim and Sagat user. Not too common, so it throws people off, plus they're really fucking good. MK, it's Scorpion for me, or else any of the cyber ninjas.

Also, Sex Pistols:

happy_thumbs_down.gif

I'm actually glad nobody is taking much punk, it gives me breathing room for several of my choices. But... while I appreciate the Sex Pistols aestetically, I never want to listen to them. Sid Vicious needed a hug. Best story about Sid Vicious, he goes up to Lemmy and says "I can't play bass." and Lemmy says "I know."

PiL are pretty good, though.

Guest Vitamin X

You could argue that Venom's Black Metal sounds more like punk than the genre which it spawned.

When it comes to SF, I always kicked ass as Ryu and Dhalsim.

Also, Sex Pistols:

happy_thumbs_down.gif

I'm actually glad nobody is taking much punk, it gives me breathing room for several of my choices. But... while I appreciate the Sex Pistols aestetically, I never want to listen to them. Sid Vicious needed a hug. Best story about Sid Vicious, he goes up to Lemmy and says "I can't play bass." and Lemmy says "I know."

PiL are pretty good, though.

I love Public Image Limited. Second Edition (aka Metal Box) is regular listening for me. The bass just fucking kills. Flowers of Romance is great too.

You could argue that Venom's Black Metal sounds more like punk than the genre which it spawned.

Venom are interesting to me-they couldn't play for shit, but I won't deny that Welcome to Hell and Black Metal are fun listens. Not the best albums, but fun.

StoogesRawPower.jpg

The Stooges - Raw Power

It's a good thing that Milky reminded me that punk music existed, because I've got a gaping hole in my collection thus far where some loud, vicious, lawn-melting rock should be. Raw Power certainly qualifies as such; it's a loud motherfucker, with a mix that's almost constantly in the red. The visceral production is almost enough on it's own - and, frankly, it's what made me choose this over the more conventional-sounding Fun House - but the songs themselves continue to pile it on through a destructive, sexually-charged protopunk assault.

148439.jpg

Do or Die - Picture This

Great CD that helped Twista be propelled to fame. From songs like Po Pimp, 6 Million, Kill or be Killed, Paperchase, Shut Em Down, Search Warrent, Another one Dead and Gone, etc. All great songs.