TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
HarleyQuinn

Desert Island Draft Thread

f62057swzqs.jpg

Public Image LTD - Metal Box/Second Edition

John Lydon's second, and in my opinion, far superior band. Really, if I had my druthers, I would take their first three albums, as I cannot fathom living without any of them. Their second album, though, is their longest, their most consistent, and their most focused. Listening to this album is comparable to having Lydon grab you by the ears and stare into your eyes without blinking for an hour. It's frightening, paranoid, and mesmerizing, and not only that, but you (or at least I) can dance to it. Oh, and Jah Wobble's bassline on Poptones. My god.

bringingitallbackhomekb7.th.jpg

Bob Dylan - Bringing It All Back Home (1965)

Sure, at the time of its release the album itself may have been overshadowed by the outrage of Dylan going electric and leaving protest singing behind, but beneath that stylistic surface there lies an excellent record filled with brilliant song after brilliant song. The first half of the album - the electric side - contains an excellent mixture of more rock-orientated numbers ("Subterranean Homesick Blues", "Maggie's Farm", "Outlaw Blues") and pensive love songs ("She Belongs to Me", "Love Minus Zero/No Limit"). Unfortunately, it also features two novelty comedy songs ("On the Road Again" and "Bob Dylan's 115th Dream"), which, whilst not bad in and of themselves, do seem rather out of place on this album. Of course, the accoustic side is even better, with four of his absolute best songs coming one after another. "Mr Tambourine Man", "Gates of Eden", "It's Alright Ma, I'm Only Bleeding" and "It's All Over Now, Baby Blue" are not only poetic in their imagery, but also dreamlike, harrowing, and potent. I don't think a better 1-2-3-4 punch has ever taken place. For a long time I contended that this is Dylan's best album. Highway 61 Revisited may have eclipsed this for me by now, but even so, in terms of twin peaks, I'm not sure that a better combination exists.

Beck - Odelay

Odelay.jpg

I love how Beck juxtaposes little blips and bleeps of different musical genres together, making an audio collage. It's sophisticated, but comes across less hipster elitist than kitschy odd. The five strongest tracks ("Where It's At", "Devils Haircut", "The New Pollution" "Jack Ass" and "Sissy Neck") are spaced far enough from each other so that they can really stand out and serve as tent poles to hold up the album. This allows some of his weirder songs like "High 5" and "Hotwax" to shine on their own. The album's last track, "Ramshackle" is sparse and accoustic, which is in stark contrast with the rest of the album and is a perfect ending.

38824878_4148baa970.jpg

The Stooges - Fun House

Whew, dodged a fuckin' bullet there. I actually could take any Stooges album, but this is the one I wanted. I find it more urgent than Raw Power, and really what's doing it here is that "TV Eye" is better than any song on Raw Power. Just take all that stuff MiB said, but change the opinion of which album is prefered. There you go. TV Eye is my ring tone. That motherfucker will wake me up at 2 in the morning, and I do occasionally get stupid motherfuckers calling me then.

d87020fx956.jpg

Pearl Jam - Vitalogy

It's funny...Pearl Jam's Ten was the first CD I ever owned. I'm a big fan of the first 5 or so albums they put out, saw them live once after No Code came out...and actually really enjoyed their last album as well.

But if my high school years had a soundtrack...it's Vitalogy. It's one of those albums that I can listen to all the way through (until we get to the last track that is...What the fuck was that?) And the opening moments of Spin the Black Circle will still pump me up like no other. So yeah...I pick this.

stcd01.jpg

'Supernatural', Santana

- One of the best selling albums of all-time, featuring the biggest hit of the 1990's, just abotu everyone has heard this album. The main knock on it is that it doesn't flow too well and is eclectic but there is such a wide variety of genres, artists and styles on the album that flow can be forgiven. Unexpectedly phenomenal songs such as "Put Your Lights On" and "Maria Maria" highlight one of the most purely enjoyable albums of recent times.

Guest Tzar Lysergic
38824878_4148baa970.jpg

The Stooges - Fun House

Whew, dodged a fuckin' bullet there. I actually could take any Stooges album, but this is the one I wanted. I find it more urgent than Raw Power, and really what's doing it here is that "TV Eye" is better than any song on Raw Power. Just take all that stuff MiB said, but change the opinion of which album is prefered. There you go. TV Eye is my ring tone. That motherfucker will wake me up at 2 in the morning, and I do occasionally get stupid motherfuckers calling me then.

Fuck you, you fag fucking fuckface faggot fuck.

Wasn't he fifty-odd when he recorded that album? It doesn't seem like it would really be my bag, but it's an oddity for that alone.

Edit: This was in reference to Santana.

I totally didn't have Agent down as a Stooges fan.

38824878_4148baa970.jpg

The Stooges - Fun House

Fuck you, you fag fucking fuckface faggot fuck.

Similar sentiments, albeit slightly tempered because I didn't think there was any chance of this coming back around to me once Steve popped the draft's Stooges cherry. Actually, because I figured you would grab it! The ferocious irony of it all.

Guest Tzar Lysergic

It was definitely my next choice. I was in the clear after Dave, too.

I'm just going to continue my method of picking whatever I like and then get pissed when people take stuff I wanted.

Guest Tzar Lysergic

Albums taken thus far that would without a doubt be on my list:

Fun House

Low

Revolver

Highway 61 Revisited

Reign in Blood

Rain Dogs

d87020fx956.jpg

Pearl Jam - Vitalogy

It's funny...Pearl Jam's Ten was the first CD I ever owned. I'm a big fan of the first 5 or so albums they put out, saw them live once after No Code came out...and actually really enjoyed their last album as well.

But if my high school years had a soundtrack...it's Vitalogy. It's one of those albums that I can listen to all the way through (until we get to the last track that is...What the fuck was that?) And the opening moments of Spin the Black Circle will still pump me up like no other. So yeah...I pick this.

Son of a....

Dammit...

Guess I'm up, then.

Zappa_Joe's_Garage.jpg

"Joe's Garage" by Frank Zappa

Without a doubt my favorite Frank Zappa album. Like The Wall, it tells a great story but works just as well listening to the songs on their own. Wet T-Shirt Nite, A Token of My Extreme, Outside Now, and He Used to Cut the Grass in particular are great songs.

Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not truth. Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is THE BEST...

850822_ba00fe0376_m.jpg

I really wanted to pick my personal favorite album from my personal favorite band, but, alas...it was not meant to be.

So then there's this one. What an album...without having to look....once/evenflow/alive/why go/black/jeremy/oceans/porch/garden/deep/release...memorized for the ages....

"iiiiiiiiii admit it...." is how it opens

"reeeeeeeleeeeeeassssseeeee meeeeee" is how it ends

if you are a 29-36 year old male who had a relationship break up in the 90s....did you not get drunk while screaming out "whyyyyy...why can't it be....can't it be minnnnne?"

sure...vitalogy is closer to me....but this album is like my first trip to Wrigley....there have been bigger moments...more vivid memories...but...i will never forget the first time i heard my next pick....PEARL JAM'S TEN.

Guest Tzar Lysergic

Time for my selections.

I took a little while on this one. Ravenbomb drew first blood on Zappa, which is where I'm going with my first selection.

Helsinki Concert? Actually multiple shows. Disqualified. Ditto Zappa in New York, which is my favorite album of his.

I'm taking

wazoo.jpg

The Grand Wazoo.

I can't exist without Frank Zappa, and if his live collections aren't up for grabs, I'll take my favorite from his jazz period.

My second pick is themed directly towards the whole island scenario. If I'm stranded on a tropical beach, I need a soundtrack for when I'm trying to catch a buzz on random botanicals and letting invertebrates sting me and shit.

Ween_TheMollusk.jpg

Ween-The Mollusk

RHR's pick...

gracealbumqi6.jpg

This album for me is like watching Len Bias highlights. It's not perfect, it's rough, maybe too shiny in places. But, the promise shown is amazing.

And I love all of the songs....with "Last Goodbye" being one of my favorite drinkin' songs...

My next pick is JEFF BUCKLEY'S GRACE.

As I say to my friends, "Hi. I'm me. Have we met?"

What I mean is, I like wierd songs to drink to. I can hit most of the notes in "Last Goodbye" so it's very relieving to sing with while drinking. I usually feel better afterwards.

illinoise.jpg

"Illinois" by Sufjan Stevens

Half my time on the island could be spent just reading through the paragraph-long song titles on this thing. I actually only discovered the album relatively recently, but I fell hard for it as soon as I heard "Chicago" and "Casimir Pulaski Day." There actually isn't a lot I can say about it other than that it's one of my favorite albums of the past ten years.

Bon-Jovi-New-Jersey-253301.jpg

'New Jersey', Bon Jovi

- My favorite album by my favorite band. Pretty simple eh? Also it's Bon Jovi's best blend of everything I love about them: the 80's party music, the western symbolism/cowboy mythos and the cheesy yet great power ballads. For my money, this is Bon Jovi at their best.

Ironically, despite being my favorite Bon Jovi album, it doesn't have any of my 3 favorite Bon Jovi songs on it.

Illinois is a mediocre album that quickly became intolerable due to the sheer amount of indiehype Sufjan Stevens received. I certainly wouldn't go so far as to say it sucks, though.

Of course, the accoustic side is even better, with four of his absolute best songs coming one after another. "Mr Tambourine Man", "Gates of Eden", "It's Alright Ma, I'm Only Bleeding" and "It's All Over Now, Baby Blue" are not only poetic in their imagery, but also dreamlike, harrowing, and potent. I don't think a better 1-2-3-4 punch has ever taken place. For a long time I contended that this is Dylan's best album.

i don't know if this would count, but there's a string of greatness on the american release of 'revolver' which goes:

"eleanor rigby" - "here, there, & everywhere" - "for no one" - "got to get you into my life"

i'd put that above dylan, as much as i absolutely adore that dylan side 2.

Chocolate and Cheese > The Mollusk

coming from probably the biggest ween fan on the board, i never really understood what was supposed to be so awesome about 'chocolate and cheese'. i mean, it's ween's first properly polished album and important for their career and what not, and it's got some of their best songs, but some of it is pretty damn boring & uneven. "buenos tardes amigo" is too long to be entertaining after 2 or 3 listens, aimless noodling like "candi" doesn't do anything, and "joppa road" is just awful. 'the mollusk' is solid pretty much all the way through.