TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
HarleyQuinn

Desert Island Draft Thread

850822_ba00fe0376_m.jpg

I really wanted to pick my personal favorite album from my personal favorite band, but, alas...it was not meant to be.

So then there's this one. What an album...without having to look....once/evenflow/alive/why go/black/jeremy/oceans/porch/garden/deep/release...memorized for the ages....

"iiiiiiiiii admit it...." is how it opens

"reeeeeeeleeeeeeassssseeeee meeeeee" is how it ends

if you are a 29-36 year old male who had a relationship break up in the 90s....did you not get drunk while screaming out "whyyyyy...why can't it be....can't it be minnnnne?"

sure...vitalogy is closer to me....but this album is like my first trip to Wrigley....there have been bigger moments...more vivid memories...but...i will never forget the first time i heard my next pick....PEARL JAM'S TEN.

Damn you straight to hell.

I've fealt for a little while like some people were waiting for Pearl Jam to break open here.

I know I was kinda waiting for someone to pick Ten so I could snag Vitalogy...but then I ran out of patience. Judging from RHR's reaction I guess I made the right call.

If things were reversed and RHR had taken Vitalogy...I'd have taken Ten. So it was only a matter of time.

I still really like Illinois. Overblown and at times excessively cute, sure, but I actually find his voice really compelling. The quieter moments like "The Predatory Wasp of the Palisades" and "John Wayne Gacy, Jr." have held up best.

Weezer_Pinkerton.jpg

Weezer - Pinkerton

This is such a fine album, combining hopes of hope, despair, love and loneliness. It clocks in at a little over thirty minutes but still has an epic feeling. Rivers Cuomo's lyrics and vocals are heartfelt and sincere, while the music is still very pop but a little heavier and darker. Pinkerton really shows how important bassist was in the recording process, as his backing vocals at times either helped harmonize with Cuomo or were falsetto to give some extra depth. I can talk about how great this album is for days and love sharing it with people who have never heard it before.

pinkfloydanimalsth6.th.jpg

Pink Floyd - Animals (1977)

For my money, this is the best album that Pink Floyd ever released. This collection only contains four real songs, what's amazing about it is that (much like on Wish You Were Here really, but the total inverse of Meddle) none of them ever meander off point. In my opinion, this record's strength can be summarised by two things. David Gilmour's guitar playing, and Roger Waters' lyrics. Therefore, "Dogs", which is wonderful in both the musical and lyrical departments, is easily the best track on here. That's not to undercut "Pigs", which features both excellent keyboard work and scathing social satire, or "Sheep", which builds to a feeling of paranoia rarely witnessed in the oral realm. Both "Pigs on the Wing" tracks act as welcome respites from the constant seriousness of the rest of the album, and despite their clipped nature it feels more complete for having them. Despite the fact that the average song here is some 6 minutes longer than the average song on The Wall, this never drowns in its own pretentiousness like that album does. An absolutely stunning record.

Guest Beastalentier

200px-Escalator_Over_The_Hill-CD.jpg

Carla Bley & Paul Haines - Escalator Over The Hill

I just shoveled a foot of snow from my driveway while listening to this album. It made me feel angry and unstable. I'm going to listen to this, kill everyone else on the island, and steal their albums.

200px-Escalator_Over_The_Hill-CD.jpg

Carla Bley & Paul Haines - Escalator Over The Hill

I just shoveled a foot of snow from my driveway while listening to this album. It made me feel angry and unstable. I'm going to listen to this, kill everyone else on the island, and steal their albums.

Good luck getting my last pick:

Human%20Clay.jpg

Is is the shitty 7th grade poetry set to power chords? Is it the fact a guy was pulling an "Eddie Vedder" voice long after Eddie stopped doing it? Was it the pseudo religious overtones? Was it the fact that Scott Stapp appeared on SPIN covered in oil?

Either way you want...I am truly in hell if I end up on a desert island if I have only CREED'S HUMAN CLAY.

So take that shovel and stick it up your ass, cause this would be way, way worse.

(This is a complete joke post. Sorry if I took up your time. If you are a Creed fan, I am sorry. Not for mocking them, but, because you are a Creed fan.

I'm pretty sure The Coat Is My Father's exclusive pick time has elapsed.

Yeah, I was gonna say...Coat can definitely get one of those two picks of his, since it's his turn. Actually, we appear to have gone the entire weekend without any picks.

Oops. I, uh, kinda stopped paying attention.

c57505u8899.jpg

Luckily, my favorite VU album has remained in the game. Although I love all four of their albums to varying degrees, this is the one that holds together as a cohesive statement the most effectively, and contains their strongest set of songs (with the debut giving it a run for its money, but still).

Candy Says is the most simple and emotionally direct song of Lou Reed's songwriting career. In fact, that opening run of Candy Says through Pale Blue Eyes might be the highlight of everything he's ever recorded.

With my next pick, I shall choose......

ct10001.jpg

The Jimi Hendrix Experience - Are You Experienced

Great CD, was surprised it was still left. This CD is full of great tracks. Foxy Lady, Manic Depression, Stone Free, Purple Haze, The Wind Cries Mary, Hey Joe.

Earlier in the draft, I picked my favorite Stevie Wonder album. And now, I'm going to pick my second favorite:

Stevie-Wonder-Innervisions-302323.jpg

Stevie Wonder - Innervisions

A highly acclaimed album, that was praised for both its outstanding music and it's poignant social commentary. Ranked by VH1 as the 31st greatest album of all time, and 23rd greatest by Rolling Stone. It won three Grammys in 1974: Best R&B Song (Living For the City), Best Engineered Non-Classical Recording, and Best Album.

Oh yeah, and it also happens to have one of my Top-5 favorite songs of all time: Don't You Worry 'bout a Thing... Todo 'sta bien, chévere' -- you got that?

acd0006.jpg

Black Sabbath - Master of Reality

Weird how there was no Sabbath yet. I didn't think this one would go first, so I was going to take it as soon as any Sabbath went. Fuck it though, I want it now. I liked the s/t for a while, but in the end, this is my favorite. By far. Better as an album. "Into the Void"? C'mon. Much as I like Sabbath's singles, I'm frankly a little sick of some of them. "Sweet Leaf" and "Children of the Grave", besides being awesome, also benefit from not being so overplayed. This album I'd call the definitive statement of Sabbath, and Sabbath are the definitive statement of Devil Music. Horns high.

Guest Tzar Lysergic

I'm going to make a conscious effort to not choose any Sabbath. I can do this because I can literally mentally press play and listen to the first four records in my head.

paulsBoutique.jpg

Beastie Boys- Paul's Boutique 1989

I went back and forth on this one and another pick I think will still be around later. Figured I should grab this while I have the chance. First off, I love the Dust Brothers use of all the samples(Before the whole Biz Markie/Gilbert O'Sullivan lawsuit about having to clear samples with the artist.) I like how they took little bits and peices of each song, instead of the standard beat loop, going for a "collage" of sounds. Also, the Beasties bring some great rhymes and pop culture references. Overall, my favorite Beasties album so I gotta take it with me.

smash%20offspring.jpg

Smash - The Offspring 1994

This was a tough choice between this, Ixnay on the Hombre and Americana for me. However, this top to bottom is just full of raw energy from Nitro (Youth Energy), to the title track. Also, they're from Orange County so they automatically have a spot.

I'm going to make a conscious effort to not choose any Sabbath. I can do this because I can literally mentally press play and listen to the first four records in my head.

This may be taking the desert island gimmick too literally.

d544430209i.jpg

Radiohead - OK Computer

Boom shaka laka. Even the first time I heard the opening BRRRRWWAAHHHAIIIINGWAAAAAIIBRRRRRANGBRONNNNNG of "Airbag," I knew I would love this album. It's one of the few that I've loved since the early, early days of establishing my musical taste. The reasons why have changed considerably with time, too. That I like it more every time I revisit it after a modest absence is probably a pretty good sign. Some more of my favorite little pieces:

-the "boop, boop, boop, boop" into "Paranoid Android

-the triangle hit that ends the album

-the fact that the guitars sound pleasantly different on all of the first 4 tracks

-SUUUUUUUUCH UHHHH PREEEETTY HOUUUSE

-pretty much the opening 8 bars of every song on here

-the piano melodies on "Karma Police," which are doubly great because I could play them when I was 16 and felt awesome as a result.

I think I was pretty much going to pick a Radiohead album as soon as The Man in Blak did. It was a tough call between this and The Bends. Along with Kid A, those two albums have circulated around in my pantheon for awhile, and on any given day I might think I like one better than the others. I chose OK Computer because, in the long view, I'd rather have the more immersive album than the collection of great songs. If I give Radiohead one piece of a small, lifetime collection, I'll give it to the album more inclined to deconstruction and perpetual appreciation.

Guest Tzar Lysergic

This may be taking the desert island gimmick too literally.

Really, this is more reality-based than anything else. About once a year I'll play the first five or six in a row, or revisit Volume 4 just for shits, but I just don't listen to Black Sabbath anymore; not because I like them less, just because it's pointless. Take your favorite book, and literally read it over and over again for fifteen years or so. The first Sab record was the first music I discovered on my own from my dad's record collection and decisively loved, because it was really the first music I consciously noticed. Sure, I was seven or eight years old, but fuck me, that album was cool and it was scary. As dumb as this statement is given their success long before I was even born, nothing on the radio sounded like that! Nothing my friends liked was like that. Being a little kid with a hissing record and the rain noise with that first distorted chord hitting like a thunderclap. That was like losing my virginity or getting high for the first time. Literally a life-changing moment. That's passed. Now it's just nostalgia and an album of which I literally know every note. I can exist without it now. It's internalized.

nirvana - in utero 1993

can't believe this is still around. along with doggystyle this is the only album that i still like as much now as when i was 12. tremendous. a great balance between nevermind's gloss and the noise that would gain cobain acceptance from his peers. the album is pretty unaccessable for the mainstream. yet it broke through. nice try shedding us 12 year olds cobain, we loved you. an appropriate swan song. thanks for dying before you got shitty with michael stipe.

ps. gene - my next pick goes out to you.