TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
HarleyQuinn

Desert Island Draft Thread

Sorry, totally forgot it was my turn.

With my next pick, I'll take...

B00003IE26.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

DMX - ... And Then There Was X

Great hardcore rap CD. Couple of good party songs on there, but mostly some dark and violent shit. This is my favorite CD DMX has put out.

f59522ynq68.jpg

Fugazi - Red Medicine

This is, to my ears, the ultimate Fugazi album. The slower, more atmospheric moments such as Fell, Destroyed and Latest Disgrace are genuinely creepy, and really effective, and show an evolution from their earlier, punkier days. Not to say that they still don't rock on this album (witness Bed For The Scraping or Target), but even when they do, there's a precision to it, a sense of control over their own sound that I don't get from a lot of other albums. I'd be willing to stack the guitar work of the MacKaye/Picciotto alliance against any two-guitar team in rock history, Sonic Youth and Television be damned.

c322281xwi1.jpg

Fugazi - Repeater

To me, this is Fugazi's masterpiece. It's the album that defined and killed posthardcore all at once. Coat's completely right; MacKaye and Picciotto are amazing together. But what makes Fugazi so special is how tight their rhythm section is. Drummer Brendan Canty's genius is clearly evident on "Shut the Door". Meanwhile Joe Lally's bass lines flutter in and out of the album at all the right times. You can't go wrong with any song on the album; songs like "Repeater", "Merchandise" "Sieve-Fisted Find", and "Styrofoam" are just amazing.

Alright...I'm going a complete different direction than I have been.

41W9BFP0J4L._SL500_AA240_.jpg

I don't really like country. But...man I love this album. I don't know if it was just the time in my life that I caught it...but whatever the reason...I'm taking Tim McGraw Everywhere.

It's an album I can listen to straight through...and a couple of the songs mean a lot to me.

So...yeah...

Screw it...I've gone country.

college_dropout_cover.jpg

'The College Dropout' by Kanye West

- Probably my favorite album of this decade. Easily Kanye's best work as, if you skip the skits, there isn't one bad song. The 'All Falls Down' -> 'Never Let Me Down' and 'Two Words' -> 'Last Call' sections are two of my favorite song streaks I've ever heard on a rap album. I still listen to this album regularily and it still sounds as fresh as the day it came out and never gets overplayed (unlike Kanye's other two album which don't have anywhere near the repetitive value).

Hm. That might have been the only rap album I would've taken. Oh well, on to my next pick.

Trout_Mask_Replica.jpg

"Trout Mask Replica" by Captain Beefheart

I usually go back and forth on which one I like better; this or Safe as Milk. I generally think Trout Mask Replica is the better of the two albums, but on a given day I'd usually rather listen to the more accessible Safe as Milk. But once in a while I'll go through Trout Mask Replica and think "yeah, this is a hell of an album." It is by no means accessible, but that's part of why I love it. I remember seeing a documentary on Beefheart, and someone said when he was working on the melodies for the album he was doing it on piano despite not knowing how to play, the idea being that he'd come up with more interesting stuff by using an instrument he didn't know how to play. I love that kind of mentality.

Guest Tzar Lysergic

Pretty sure he also laid down the vocal tracks without wearing headphones. He just thought of the song in his head and sang.

I considered taking that album earlier.

trex.jpg

T. Rex-Electric Warrior

How this made it this deep has me baffled. Easily one of the best albums of the 70's, and arguably glam rock's zenith.

123_2530.jpg

Isis-Oceanic

Can't afford to not have this. I need something extremely intense, cerebral, and heavy. This album destroys.

Curse you indeed.

I didn't see College Dropout going that high.

I like some of my albums to come a bit better but I knew there'd be plenty of interest in College Dropout so that's why I took it high. I love the album and wouldn't want to miss out on it.

The Rolling Stones - Exile on Main Street (1972)

rollingstonesexileonmaiiu6.jpg

The raw bluesy feel that informs even the acoustic songs on this album really appeals to me. I know that this was their signature sound, but here it's been refined, usually to co-exist with more jazz based instrumentation. This gives entirely different overtones to songs such as "Rocks Off" and "Sweet Virginia". Somehow, despite its considerable running time, the album never begins to drag, even the filler ("I Just Want to See His Face", "Let It Loose") isn't generic enough to be completely pointless. The record does step out of its safety zone from time to time, usually with fantastic results. For example: "Loving Cup" is a delicious piano ballad, and "Torn and Frayed" is an oddly melodic acoustic romp. I basically just love this album, atypically buried vocals aside.

Well, the 24 hours are up, so I guess I'll take my next turn.

toys_in_the_attic.jpg

"Toys in the Attic" by Aerosmith

Aerosmith was my favorite band for years. And while I admit their recent stuff isn't that great, their classic stuff still holds up. This album in particular. I'd have to have SOME Aerosmith with me if I was going to be stuck on a desert island, and this album is their best.

Hmmm what should we go with now, ah I know:

0210.jpg

'Lies' by Guns N Roses

- I definetely want some GnR with me and since 'Appetite' is gone, I took the next best thing. I can't decide which 'Use Your Illusion' I like better and both have WAY too much filler to take just one of them (if I could take both, I would but I don't think I'm allowed to) while 'Lies' is leaner and much closer to the angry vibe of 'Appetite' than the schizophrenic tone of the double album. Plus I need the angry racist, homophobic hate of One In A Million when I'm stuck for eternity.

PS: Would I be allowed to count Use Your Illusion as one double album? If so, then I'll change my choice.

Edwin nailed it. Separate releases so they'd have to be selected with 2 picks.

Yah I figured, so yah my pick is Lies.

And I'd want them cause I REALLY like some of the songs (Civil War, November Rain, Don't Cry, You Could Be Mine, Estranged)...just a shame so many others arer bascially unlistenable.

PS: you got the wrong album for me. I'm talking the original GnR Lies from 1989. The 2 CD's have a very different song order.

Well...then I'll take Use Your Illusion I...since the GNR is about to run out.

I'm taking I over II because Coma is my favorite GNR song. Plus...I can listen to any of their albums straight through without skipping...so it really came down to just that one song difference for me. Plus...november rain is epic.

503799_170x170.jpg

David Bowie - Station to Station (1976).

I'm tired as fuck right now, so I don't think I would quite be up to writing an explanation. Expect it in the next few days though.