TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
HarleyQuinn

Desert Island Draft Thread

Murder Incorporated is phenomenal, I can't believe it didn't make the album.

1412553-1278763975.jpg

'Gods Son' by Nas, 2002

- With 'Illmatic' gone, I'm choosing what I consider Nas' second best album. His most emotional and personal album and also the one with the least filler (barring 'Illmatic' which has no filler). Great and underrated album.

Guest Tzar Lysergic

Pretty sure I don't like Bruce Springsteen at all. I don't even get why people do, honestly.

I took Use Your Illusion II last round, but the page 1 list was never updated with it.

Anyway...I want to take the Cars on my island...so I'll take The Cars by...the cars

41F1Q632R6L._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Just What I Needed, Best Friends Girl, Good Times Roll, Moving In Stereo, You're All I've Got Tonight...the album will do me well.

Of course my favorite Cars song (Since You're Gone) is on a different album...but there's too much goodness on this album to not pick it.

s2086.jpg

Iron Maiden - Number of the Beast (1982)

The cornerstone of Maiden. Not a single weak track. It's tentpoled by Maiden staples like "Hallowed Be Thy Name", the title track and "Run to the Hills." What comes in between is superb. "22 Acacia Avenue" and "Invaders" show off Bruce Dickinson's wide range of vocal abilities over a bunch of great riffs.

I'm completely exhausted right now, and thus don't have the energy to do a write-up, but I choose Paranoid by Black Sabbath.

For my next pick I select....

gallery44.jpg

Chalie Boy - The Versatyle Child

This CD is great. You gotta get both versions, regular and slowed. Chalie Boy is a soul singer/rapper from Texas. Its a really good mix that comes out great. I'm guessing that none of you have heard of him before, but you should really check him out.

I'm taking a momentary break from the seventies to select:

Aijuswanaseing.jpg

Musiq Soulchild - Aijuswanaseing

Easily one of my favorite albums to come out this decade; Musiq is a soulful singer with great range, and I really enjoyed the beats on his songs as well, particularly L' Is Gone, which features a sample from an album I hope to take later in this draft, possibly even with my next pick. Besides, you had to know that an artist whose voice and style has been compared to Stevie F. Wonder was going to be on my draft board...

The_Cure_-_The_Head_on_the_Door.jpg

The Cure - The Head On the Door

From here on out, these are all real heavy hitters for me, but they're left to the back end due to my reasonable certainty that I wouldn't lose them. Remember when I said Nation of Millions was a strong contender for album of the 80s? This is the real one.

I know, I know... it's Cure. And if I'm picking Cure, you'd probably expect Disintegration, but trust me, this is their magnum opus. Even if you don't like the Cure, or you think of them as a singles band, you really owe it to yourself to give this a chance. It's not like the other Cure albums. I love every second of this... it's hard to pick a favorite track, but I'd have to say it's probably "The Baby Screams" with "The Blood" a close second.

Bonus: Robert Smith wrote this album based on nightmares he had while sleeping off alcoholic binges.

Beatles_-_Abbey_Road.jpg

The Beatles - Abbey Road

Writeup later, but I feel fortunate just to have this come back to me, after watching it prompt the ridiculous discussion from earlier in the thread. Blabby motherfuckers, all of you.

Ha ha. I know, I think you wasted a pick with Revolver right out of the gate. Some Beatles hating motherfuckers up in here...

I may or may not have something up my sleeve w/r/t this.

That was a complete "loyalty" pick, as it's one of the few albums from my formative years that is as important to me today as it was back then (and for completely different reasons, no less). The overall impression of the Beatles among the community is completely irrelevant to me, as far as Revolver is concerned.

121138.jpg

Kenny Wayne Shepherd Band- Trouble Is.... 1997

Seeing as I'm a blues/blues-rock fan, I have to take some Kenny with me. This album was my introduction to him, I saw him open for "Van Cherone" in 1998 and was blown away by his guitar skills. I went out and picked up the album and never stopped listening to it. It has originals like "Blue On Black", "Somehow, Somewhere, Someway", "Slow Ride". It also has a Dylan cover and Hendrix cover back to back("Everything Is Broken" and "I Don't Live Today", respectively). All in all, a must have for me and the start of a string of blues/blues rock albums I picked up over the years.

Some Beatles hating motherfuckers up in here...

They're somewhere on the second tier of my favourite bands, but Revolver is probably the only album of theirs I would select for a list such as this.

f9f379fea79d6865028f6c6003c86194.jpg

Tiger Army II: Power of Moonlite - Tiger Army 2001

This disc balances some great hard driving punk with some classic roots rock. Some are the highlights are "Incorporeal", "Power of Moonlite" and "In the Orchard"

consider me lame but ive never even heard of the last two selections

i must say that this has run out of steam. everyone has such divergent tastes that everyone might as well just name their top 20 albums and show their dicks.

It is a little weird. There are 7 or 8 lists so far that I would absolutely never find interesting at all. 20 rounds was a little long--I think it would have ultimately been more cohesive with just 10 picks. Then we'd actually be competing not just among each other, but among our own favorites. With 20, there are always going to be 4-5 albums you really like that no one else is going to pick, and you can just grab them whenever. You'd get a better sense of what really mattered to everyone by cutting things in half, and I think everyone would be a little more satisfied with their lists overall.

That said...#11!

c46141rq3et.jpg

The Beatles - The Beatles

Ah, the White Album. Any collection of mine without something by the Beatles would be pretty nonrepresentative, and MiB basically made my choice between this and Abbey Road for me. The White Album is pretty unique in the Beatles' catalog (and music in general, for that matter). It's the rare album that feels like you're reading a book, or just kind of hanging out for an afternoon while these guys do their thing. It's intensely familiar, but also has their broadest scope and their most experimental tendencies. Some of the stuff falls flat, but in a charming way. All posturing about the album and its atmosphere aside, this also happens to include some of my favorites songs: "Dear Prudence," "Sexy Sadie," "Happiness is a Warm Gun," "Mother Nature's Son." Oh, and "Rocky Raccoon" rules almighty, no matter what anyone says.

Guest Vitamin X

Fuuuuuuuck. I was thinking of taking Number of the Beast this round, but Steviekick took it. I should've probably waitd on the R.E.M., considering it's doubtful anyone else here really likes them enough to take them this early.

Fuck. Finally.

The White Album and Abbey Road finally go. You should all be ashamed that an album by somebody named "Chalie" went first, by the way.

Fuck. Finally.

The White Album and Abbey Road finally go. You should all be ashamed that an album by somebody named "Chalie" went first, by the way.

More dickriding and more disgustingness.

i must say that this has run out of steam. everyone has such divergent tastes that everyone might as well just name their top 20 albums and show their dicks.

Surely I wasn't the only person who volunteered for this endeavor that suffered from no delusions of what it was going to digress into? I wanted to do it because I thought it would be fun to think about what I think are the 20 albums I'd want to be stranded with. Seeing as how there seem to be only two or three people in the draft that even listen to the kind of music I listen to on anything resembling a regular basis, I was under no illusion that I had a shot at "winning." In fact, when it comes time for the voting, I'll be shocked if I'm anywhere other than dead last.

But, I sure am enjoying myself; this is the most I've actually thought about music, ever.

Surely I wasn't the only person who volunteered for this endeavor that suffered from no delusions of what it was going to digress into? I wanted to do it because I thought it would be fun to think about what I think are the 20 albums I'd want to be stranded with. Seeing as how there seem to be only two or three people in the draft that even listen to the kind of music I listen to on anything resembling a regular basis, I was under no illusion that I had a shot at "winning." In fact, when it comes time for the voting, I'll be shocked if I'm anywhere other than dead last.

But, I sure am enjoying myself; this is the most I've actually thought about music, ever.

It's funny cause if I were to choose anyone's list instead of mine, it'd probably be yours. But yah, I'm in the same boat. I know my tastes differ from everyone and I know I will likely finish bottom 3. Doesn't really bother me none.

Fuuuuuuuck. I was thinking of taking Number of the Beast this round, but Steviekick took it. I should've probably waitd on the R.E.M., considering it's doubtful anyone else here really likes them enough to take them this early.

pick something asshat. you're the motherfucking reason this draft takes so long. you post and don't pick? what an asshole.