TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
HarleyQuinn

Desert Island Draft Thread

Okay, expect a super post in which I summarise why I like up to 5 albums after June the 2nd.

LCD Soundsystem - Sound of Silver (2007).

Just to keep things rolling, Cowboy Numbers has been on the clock for a bit, Coat can pick at anytime.

When the hell did I get on the clock?

Not only are you on the clock, by my watch, it's my turn in ninety minutes.

That being the case, I'm going to go ahead and pick, as I'm about to leave and won't be back for a while. Slim wouldn't pick this anyway:

621.jpg

Monster Magnet - Spine of God

"It's a Satanic drug thing. You wouldn't understand."

Sludged out, tripedelic stoner metal, reverbed into oblivion... with a sense of humor! Musically, this is a sonic juggernaut. The content is warped beyond belief. It's hilariously over the top and completely genuine at the same time.

Take note: if you're only familiar with Monster Magnet re: "Space Lord" and beyond, you know nothing of Monster Magnet. Early Monster Magnet is a mind freak, and this was the sickest they ever got.

"If Satan lived in heaven, he'd be me."

Well, I said a couple of weeks ago, that I wasn't going to go without having at least one album from each of my ten favorite artists so, with only six picks to go and four artists as yet unused, I'd better get on the ball. Starting with:

bonafidecover.jpg

Jon B - Bonafide

Far from his most successful album (400K+ albums sold, according to wiki, which would only make it his third-best selling album), it's by far my favorite, and actually has a large degree of personal significance. The funny thing about this album to me is that there's only two songs on the album that there's any chance most of you would have heard of: Someone to Love (featured on the Bad Boys soundtrack, nominated for a Grammy, peaked out at #10 on the Billboard Hot 100), and Pretty Girl (peaked out at #25 on the Billboard Hot 100). The reason why I find this funny is because, despite the fact that they were the two biggest hits, I personally consider those two songs to be the fifth and seventh-best songs on the album, respectively.

Err... I guess that means that The Man in Blak is up next...

Didn't realize the pick would come around to me so quick, so I'll make this one in a hurry and add the writeup to my backlog:

51YKBB7AK1L._SL500_AA240_.jpg

DJ Shadow - Endtroducing...

I know it's been said, but you are on fire in this thread. I love that fucking album.

Bluesbreakers.jpg

John Mayall and The Bluesbreakers- Blues Breakers with Eric Clapton 1966

Next up, I've got another of my favorite blues albums, I'm not a huge Clapton fan but this album really sold the fact to me, that he is one of the best out there. Mayall certainly holds his own as well, playing guitar, harmonica, piano, hammond organ and also providing vocals. John McVie(of Fleetwood Mac fame) is on bass, Mayall also has a great horn section to round out the sound. The album is split between originals and cover songs, 7 each, one of the covers is Ray Charles' "What I'd Say" which is one of the best on the album. Other standouts include "Double Crossing Time", "Hideaway", "Little Girl" and "Ramblin' On My Mind" which is Clapton's first recorded vocal.

I stopped paying attention to this when I lost my internet connection. How many picks do I have, five? Just gimme five random GbV albums. In fact, here:

Alien Lanes

Under The Bushes, Under The Stars

Half Smiles Of The Decomposed

Propeller

Same Place The Fly Got Smashed

My writeup is that these are all good albums you should listen to.

All better:

f32969t69vp.jpg

The Clash - The Clash

I won't pretend it's better than London Calling, because very few things are, but The Clash nonetheless rules totally and utterly. High-burning anthems like "Clash City Rockers" and "Complete Control" speed along on a fantastic thrumming guitar and some of the best bass riffs I can recall. The album bristles with energy, aggressive on one hand and beautifully harmonized or groovy on the other ("(White Man) In Hammersmith Palais" or "Police & Thieves"). The songs seem simple on casual listen, but there's tons going on at every moment. These guys were so fucking good.

phew - ill take two because of vx different taste and admitted delay in selections.

the jesus and the mary chain - psychocandy (1985)

kanye west - graduation (2007)

i hated graduation at first because i wanted a rap album. it isn't a rap album. each song is designed to be its own entity. its not even a real album to me. thats ok. glow in the dark was unbelievable as well, which probably has something to do with me taking it.

phew - ill take two because of vx different taste and admitted delay in selections.

the jesus and the mary chain - psychocandy (1985)

kanye west - graduation (2007)

i hated graduation at first because i wanted a rap album. it isn't a rap album. each song is designed to be its own entity. its not even a real album to me. thats ok. glow in the dark was unbelievable as well, which probably has something to do with me taking it.

Damn, I can't believe I forgot that one.

Sixteen_Stone.444x456.jpg

Sixteen Stone - Bush 1995

Solid post-grunge era album. Strikes a balance between anger and moody reflection. The album that put the band on the map and quite possibly their best album. Highlights include "Everything Zen", "Little Things", "Comedown", "Machinehead" and "Glycerine".

Guest Vitamin X

Good pick on the jesus and mary chain though, banky. Underrated industrial.

I'm going to make two controversial picks, but fuck it if people don't like em. That's what the later rounds are for, anyways, in my opinion.

REM_Document_cover.jpg

REM - Document

It was between this one and Murmur, but I took this one since I recall using track 2- "Welcome to the Occupation" - for one of the first films I edited, regarding the Iraq War, and it has a bit of a personal tone with me as a result, as does "The One I Love".

Sublime_Self-Titled.jpg

Sublime - Sublime

Yeah, this is the one I'll get shit on for, but at least I'm not Darthtiki. To me, this has been one of those albums that was kind of popular during high school and it's just a bit embarrassing I still listen to it, but it reminds me of all the good times I had during my summers back then, exemplified by the final track "Doin Time". It's got a ton of catchy songs on it for me, and it's good background music for if/when I find the magical hallucinogens on this deserted island or making an awesome bbq.

I'd hesitate to call J&MC industrial. But that's a good pick nonetheless.

After a lot of deliberation, I'm breaking my "one album per artist" rule, just because this is too good to pass up given my other options. Of course, no shame (or surprise) in doubling up on this guy:

e16323wtnhs.jpg

Prince - 1999

I have a really odd history with this album. I first got it right after Purple Rain and was not fond of it at all. The electronic stuff, the long long songs; I wasn't ready for it. I actually gave the copy to a friend. Then I gave it a little more time and it really got its hooks in it. I started driving around with it in cities, and suddenly it started to feel a little better. I think I needed crowds and nightime and fluorescent lights. And now I put it up there at the top of his catalog, and would comfortably call it an essential album for anyone. The big singles are great, but my favorites are probably "Let's Pretend We're Married" (who else could get away with "I sincerely wanna fuck you" and "I want to fuck the taste out your mouth" as come-ons, and make them sound so pleasant) and "Lady Cab Driver," which is like the best use of drum machines, staccato electric guitar, and bedsprings ever. This is a really weird album, and it's more and more welcoming as time passes. The whole second half gets into an unbroken groove that just keeps going and going. The album's sound is very different from Sign o' the Times as well, so even though my 20 albums now have about 160 minutes of Prince among them, we're not talking too much overload. Very pleased to pick up something this good this far out.

Sublime_Self-Titled.jpg

Sublime - Sublime

Yeah, this is the one I'll get shit on for, but at least I'm not Darthtiki. To me, this has been one of those albums that was kind of popular during high school and it's just a bit embarrassing I still listen to it, but it reminds me of all the good times I had during my summers back then, exemplified by the final track "Doin Time". It's got a ton of catchy songs on it for me, and it's good background music for if/when I find the magical hallucinogens on this deserted island or making an awesome bbq.

FINALLY. FUCK. Who would shit on you for liking this and why?