TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
HarleyQuinn

Desert Island Draft Thread

Oh, good call. I agree with that.

Yeah, I completely forgot about Dopesmoker. Made me think, though; since he's already got some Neurosis on his list, should he take the similarly-titled Dopethrone instead of Through Silver in Blood?

He called TSIB his favorite album a bunch of times (though it obviously no longer is). I just remember him liking Dopethrone a lot when he first heard it, and as I recall, he ended up preferring Come My Fanatics.

Man, I know way too much about the dude's taste. Oh well, he probably introduced me to more bands than anyone else here, I guess it's fair.

nme.jpg

GIN BLOSSUMS---NEW MISERABLE EXPERIENCE

Great album to get drunk to.

these%20arms%20are%20snakes.jpg

THESE ARMS ARE SNAKES---EASTER

Friends of mine. The guitarist has bitched about all my picks so far. So, this will be his favorite on my list.

MusicCatalogNNelly%20Furtado%20-%20LooseNelly%20Furtado%20-%20Loose.jpg

NELLY FURTADO---LOOSE

My last pick. It's a desert island. A man has needs.

I'm going to make this the place where I say Be is overrated. "The Corner" is probably one of my favorite songs ever, but the rest of the album is real spotty. Not worthy of the classic status many have given it, anyway.

Then again, I'm thinking I just don't like Common as much as I used to or felt I had to.

I'm going to make this the place where I say Be is overrated. "The Corner" is probably one of my favorite songs ever, but the rest of the album is real spotty. Not worthy of the classic status many have given it, anyway.

Then again, I'm thinking I just don't like Common as much as I used to or felt I had to.

I will agree with you that it's overrated. There are some really good songs, and a couple that are so-so. But as a whole its great chill out music.

Guest Tzar Lysergic

Good estimations.

Dopesmoker, definitely.

Not TSIB, though, just for some variety. Freak Out! is a good one. I'll go with that. The football draft made me lose all interest in this.

Guest Tzar Lysergic

Also, choosing between Dopethrone and Come My Fanatics is nigh impossible. Should've just been a double album.

At this point, let's just fill the rest of VX's draft with REO Speedwagon albums, finalize this thing and put it up to a public vote for the best selection.

All voters must rank their top three favorite collections, 1-2-3, with a first-place vote getting three points, second-place vote getting two points, and a third place vote getting one points. All draft participants are disqualified from voting for their own collection and ties are resolved by greater number of first place votes, then second place votes, etc.

Any objections?

That being said, somebody could probably swoop in at the tail end of this draft and, using nothing but the leftovers, still put together a killer list of 20 albums. There's an absurd amount of stuff hanging around out there.

1.Pavement - Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain...

2.Pixies - Doolittle

3.Eminem - The Slim Shady LP

4.Raekwon - Only Built 4 Cuban Linx

5.Tullycraft Disenchanted Hearts Unite

6.The Apples in Stereo - Fun Trick Noisemaker

7.Arcade Fire - Funeral

8.The Unicorns - Who Will Cut Our Hair When We're Gone?

9. The Strokes - Is This It?

10.Violent Femmes - Violent Femmes

11.Weezer - Weezer (The Blue Album)

12.The White Stripes - White Blood Cells

13.Regina Spektor - Soviet Kitsch

14.The Flaming Lips - Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots

15.Clap Your Hands Say Yeah - Clap Your Hands Say Yeah

16.CAKE - Comfort Eagle

17.Belle and Sebastian - If You're Feeling Sinister

18.Beck - Midnight Vultures

19.The Virgins - The Virgins

20.Neutral Milk Hotel - On Avery Island

I've been waiting for you guys to finish so I could do that :P

Yeah, you hit some of the ones I had in mind. The short list I had goes something like this (in no particular order):

The Beatles - Rubber Soul

The Rolling Stones - Beggars Banquet

Pavement - Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain...

John Coltrane - Giant Steps

David Bowie - "Heroes"

Belle and Sebastian - If You're Feeling Sinister

Jay-Z - The Blueprint

Raekwon - Only Built 4 Cuban Linx

Pixies - Doolittle

Funkadelic - Maggot Brain

Ornette Coleman - The Shape Of Jazz To Come

Brian Eno - Taking Tiger Mountain (By Strategy)

Massive Attack - Mezzanine

Soundgarden - Superunknown

Motorhead - Ace of Spades

Outkast - Stankonia

Boards of Canada - Music Has The Right To Children

Nirvana - Nevermind

Arcade Fire - Funeral

Death - Human

I definitely considered Homogenic, but I think Bjork is a little too divisive for something like this. For every one or two people that really dig her stuff, there always seems to be three of four people that either can't stand the lyrical tics or can't stand the over-orchestration of the music.

there always seems to be three of four people that either can't stand the lyrical tics or can't stand the over-orchestration of the music.

FACT: Those people are disgusting heathens who can't appreciate beauty.

I was considering Homogenic in the Dummy spot, too.

A quick list of 20 untakens, without checking against yous guyses:

Stankonia

Doolittle

Slanted & Enchanted

Aladdin Sane

Nevermind (Absolutely amazing that this didn't go!)

Mezzanine

Taking Tiger Mountain (Eno)

The Blueprint

Homogenic

You Forgot it in People (Broken Social Scene)

Summerteeth (Wilco)

Rubber Soul

Small Change (Tom Waits)

Painful (Yo La Tengo)

Get Happy!! (Elvis Costello)

Loaded (VU)

The Smiths

Beggar's Banquet

First Issue (PiL)

Any one of several untaken Talking Heads albums

I considered Get Happy!! , but it ultimately didn't make my cut. The Smiths, really? I would easily consider that to be the weakest of their six albums.

I really like the self-titled. For me, it's exceeded only by The Queen Is Dead on their proper albums. I'd probably take one of the compilations over it, sure, but they weren't eligible.

Anyway, I'll vote.

1. MiB. Seeing as we stole each other's albums all draft, no shock here. I actually own and love every single album on his list except for the Talk Talk one. Which I once downloaded anyway.

2. Milky. The last quarter or so deviates from stuff I like a lot, but he has the best representation of genre classics and probably the most varied list. Definitely wouldn't get bored with this collection.

3. incandescent. Banky actually has a bunch of albums I haven't heard, but I love the ones I have and again, there's a sort of exceptional bright variety here. Wolf Parade, Daft Punk, Prince, Nirvana, and a big collection of jazz and Dylan would make it last.

Honorable mention to The Sperm, who put together a very strong assemblage of my second-or-third favorite albums by several artists. I also very much dug the first half of Steviekick's list, as it contains a lot of albums I'd consider formative favorites.

Death - Human

That's probably my favorite Death Metal album of all time. That or Unquestionable Presence.

We're posting our top three in the thread? Alright then:

1. TheOriginalOrangeGoblin - got me for four albums I wanted on my island, and even most of his non-R&B stuff is music I can enjoy listening to.

2. Edwin MacPhisto - The most well-rounded list, in my opinion, but TOOG has three of my all-time favorites, and Edwin has none, so Edwin gets second place.

At this point, I had difficulty deciding on a third, as only TOOG and Edwin had as many as three albums that I'd have even considered. I'll somewhat reluctantly go with:

3. The Man In Blak - Although, in this case, I'd probably only hold onto Liquid Swords and Revolver, and put the rest up on eBay.

1. Edwin MacPhisto - It would be pretty weird if I didn't pick him first, considering how much we stepped on each other throughout the draft. He's got a little more 90's gangsta rap and Prince than I would prefer, but he's also got a handful of albums that I covet above anything else that anybody else selected here and, truthfully, a few of my own selections as well.

2. The Sperm - Ended up having a much better list than it originally seemed in the earlier rounds. He's got my favorite albums from the Velvets and Zeppelin, along with Exile on Main Street and The Bends. Good stuff.

3. Agent of Oblivion - Just barely edges Ravenbomb, by virtue of the jazz, Isis, and (surprisingly) the Aphex Twin album, which I really dig.

Honorable shoutouts to Ravenbomb, who really should have picked Rocks instead of Toys in the Attic, and Milky, who managed to stab out an essential block of 60's and 70's stuff amidst a whirlwind of gonzo rap, death metal, and other various absurdities.

1. Agent - I just like all those albums, what can I say. A nice balance of stuff that wouldn't seem to go together such as Aphex Twin/early Beatles, but actually yeah, I'd totally listen to those back to back. Or possibly simultaneously.

2. Edwin

3. MiB

Edwin gets the edge because of the 90s gangsta rap and Prince.

1. The Man in Blak

2. Milky

3. Edwin

I almost put Cowboy#s at 3 simply because he's got Illmatic and I think more than a few of Edwin's choices are a tad bit overrated, but in the end the list without Gnarls Barkley on it won out.

Looking back on it, I think Fun House is really the anchor that ties my whole draft together. That really is pretty much the perfect rock album.

Hmmmm... the ones I considered:

RHR - A bunch of stuff I can listen to but nothing really essential. Points for the Springsteen and Eric B & Rakim.

bps - The best Springsteen album, GnR and Tom Petty score points. A lot of other stuff is listenable and I like the variety. Not enough soul in this list (ie. no R&B, Rap, Soul etc.).

Steviekick - Appetite For Destruction, Jay Z & Run DMC I like. Can't stand metal though.

Cowboy - Illmatic and Hendrix are essential and a lot more stuff I actually can listen to as opposed to the other lists. Not a lot of variety though.

Slim Citrus - Great R&B and soul choices plus the Chronic. Best list so far. No idea who Hikaru Utada is though.

Edwin - Snoop, Biggie, Sam Cooke are all essentials and I'm fine with Prince, Radiohead and Dylan. Good list.

That makes my top 3:

1. Slim Citrus

2. Edwin

3. "Hail" bps21

I also very much dug the first half of Steviekick's list, as it contains a lot of albums I'd consider formative favorites.

Looking back, that is how I feel with the list. I got burnt out from picking about halfway through.

Anyway, my top three would be...

1...Milky

2...Mr. S£im Citrus

3...Tie between Cowboy and Edwin.