TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
HarleyQuinn

Desert Island Draft Thread

Guest Tzar Lysergic

This is kinda tough, actually.

I think my favorite might be Ravenbomb's. He has a few I've never heard, but he also has a bunch I adore, like the two Beefhearts, plus California, which is right there as my favorite album ever. I was going to take it the very round he did, figuring no one else liked Bungle that much. He also sniped me on Swordfishtrombones. Damned if I give a shit about the Decemberists, though. The middling stuff he has for me are things I'd be more than fine with listening to, like the Cash and Neil Young and The Wall. Joe's Garage is a wonderful Zappa Pick.

Milky's list..I don't know. He has six or seven albums I consider absolutely essential, but I either hate, dislike, or don't care about the rest of his list at all. My indifference to rap music really burns him in my selection.

Blak's list is pretty good. He has fewer albums than Milky that I really love, but the rest of it I like well enough. Only a couple I don't, like VU & Nico, which I despise.

Darthtiki's list is like that of a 14 year old suburban girl in the mid 90s.

Edwin's is the same situation as Blak, only I like Blak's more.

Sperm's list. That one I'm digging. The only band he has that I don't like at all is The Smiths. Only two albums I'm unfamiliar with. The LCD soundsystem and Deltron3030. WL/WH is the only VU album I actually kinda like.

Ok.

1. Ravenbomb

2. the Sperm

3....tough call. Milky.

Surprising honorable mention:

Were I to literally wash up on an island sifting though wreckage, the box of albums I would most like to find would be Slim's. His list is very positive and the kind of thing I'd be singing at the top of my lungs after a week alone.

1. TheOriginalOrangeGoblin- Probably has the most albums I could listen to front to back and really enjoy.

2. "Hail" bps21- As mentioned earlier, just a good collection of listenable albums and artists. Solid picks all around.

3. Milky- Just for the insanity of it(I mean that in a good way.). I can't believe the Geto Boys slipped my mind completely, that was a great pick.

Honorable mention to StevieKick's first 10, the list kind of fell apart after that, but that top 10 has a lot of good stuff on there.

Milky's list..I don't know. He has six or seven albums I consider absolutely essential, but I either hate, dislike, or don't care about the rest of his list at all. My indifference to rap music really burns him in my selection.

How's that hash out? There's a couple albums on there I'm pretty sure you like, but wouldn't consider essential. The Miles one, as noted, I believe you've said the Monster Magnet one was good, Sabbath and South of Heaven, I'd think.

I'd guess you hate the Cure, probably Metallica and maybe Deicide, but really...

I appreciate the respect my list has gotten, but I really don't think it's that out there. The GG one is the only one I can't imagine anyone wanting, but other than that, those are all pretty good, unless you just outright don't like rap, like Gene said, or something. I kept it fairly approachable, even leaving off some of my favorite artists like Tom Waits and Prince, cause I would have had to go for Heartattack and Vine or The Black Rider, and Lovesexy or the black album once my other favorites were snagged. And I didn't even approach like, Anal Cunt and stuff. I also felt handicapped because two of my favorite genres, blues and folk, often don't have album propers, it's lots of comps and complete works of and such. I didn't even pick a Marilyn Manson album... honestly, besides POAAF, any would have done.

Here's a quick unmentioned 20 from me:

Ice Cube - Amerikkka's Most Wanted

Christina Aguilera - Back to Basics

Bonnie 'Prince' Billy - I See a Darkness

The Homosexuals CD

Clint Mansell & Kronos Quartet - Requiem For A Dream

Misfits - Walk Among Us

Killing Joke - s/t

Throbbing Gristle - 20 Jazz Funk Greats

Bathory - s/t

Suicide - s/t

Acid Bath - Paegan Terrorism Tactics

Aphex Twin - Selected Ambient Works vol. 2

Mike Oldfield - Tubular Bells

Patti Smith - Horses

Elton John - Goodbye Yellow Brick Road

Billy Joel - Glass Houses

Agoraphobic Nosebleed - Frozen Corpse Stuffed Full of Dope

Foetus - Nail

Elvis Presley - s/t

Skrewdriver - White Rider

The last one is a white power band. I almost selected it for the real draft, but I thought it would be too distracting. The politics have nothing to do with it, it's just a really good album.

Guest Tzar Lysergic

1.11 - The Clash - London Calling 1979

2.07 - Public Enemy - It Takes A Nation of Millions To Hold Us Back 1988

3.11 - David Bowie - Hunky Dory 1971

4.07 - Metallica - Master of Puppets 1986

5.11 - Miles Davis - In A Silent Way 1969

6.07 - Iggy and the Stooges - Fun House 1970

7.11 - Black Sabbath - Master of Reality 1971

8.07 - Slayer - South of Heaven 1988

9.11 - Curtis Mayfield - Superfly 1972

10.07 - Black Flag - Damaged 1981

11.11 - The Cure - The Head on the Door 1985

12.07 - The Beatles - Magical Mystery Tour 1967

13.11 - John Lennon - John Lennon/Plastic Ono Band 1970

14.07 - Dethklok - The Dethalbum 2007

15.11 - Monster Magnet - Spine of God 1992

16.07 - Dr. Octagon - Dr. Octagonecologyst 1996

17.11 - Deicide - Deicide 1990

18.07 - The Geto Boys - The Geto Boys 1990

19.11 - Eazy E - Eazy Duz It 1988

20.07 - GG Allin - Freaks, Faggots, Drunks and Junkies 1988

Bolded are the six I'd consider essential. I can't think of a solo Beatles work I really like that much, Dethalbum, while I really like it, is something I can't take seriously at all, I don't care about rap music enough to have an opinion one way or the other on those selections, GG Allin is a guy I find fascinating but never listen to. I hate that Metallica album, never been a Clash fan, Deicide's kinda 'eh', and Monster Magnet is good. Black Flag's not a band I ever got into either. I have no use for the Cure outside of some of the singles.

Guest Tzar Lysergic
Tubular Bells?? You've got to be kidding. I know you're not, but..you've got to be kidding.

Really, yeah, Tubular Bells opens with the theme from the Exorcist and over the next hour or so transitions into "The Sailor's Hornpipe". That is some badass shit. And naming the instruments when they come in? That's hardcore.

Darthtiki's list is like that of a 14 year old suburban girl in the mid 90s.

Let's see:

14 years old in the mid-90's...check (1996)

Lived in the suburbs...check

girl...nope

well 2 out of 3 ain't bad.

My picks:

1. Orange Goblin

2. RHR

3. BPS

All right, it's been a week since the last vote was cast, so here are the results:

Edwin MacPhisto - 14 (2 first place votes)

The Man in Blak - 10 (2 first place votes)

Milky - 10 (1 first place vote)

TheOriginalOrangeGoblin - 9 (3 first place votes)

Tzar Lysergic - 9 (2 first place votes)

Mr. Slim Citrus - 5 (1 first place vote)

The Sperm - 4

bps21 - 4

Ravenbomb - 3 (1 first place vote)

RHR - 2

incandescent - 1

Even with my disqualification of the third-place tie vote with Cowboy Numbers, Edwin wins this one pretty handily, gaining the most points by appearing on the most ballots. Pretty startling that a collection with two Bon Jovi selections and an Eagles live album managed to pick up more first place votes than anybody else in the draft.

All right, it's been a week since the last vote was cast, so here are the results:

The Sperm - 4

bps21 - 4

RHR - 2

incandescent - 1

Even with my disqualification of the third-place tie vote with Cowboy Numbers, Edwin wins this one pretty handily, gaining the most points by appearing on the most ballots. Pretty startling that a collection with two Bon Jovi selections and an Eagles live album managed to pick up more first place votes than anybody else in the draft.

fools.

all of you.

Pretty startling that a collection with two Bon Jovi selections and an Eagles live album managed to pick up more first place votes than anybody else in the draft.

Trust me, I'm as shocked as anyone. I wasn't expecting one vote anywhere, let alone the most 1st place votes.

The Sperm - 4

bps21 - 4

RHR - 2

incandescent - 1

What?

Guest Vitamin X

I'm disappointed that Milky didn't just do the rest of my draft. I should've been more persistent in asking rather than the REO Speedwagon.

FWIW, I really liked Milky's, Agent's, and Banky's drafts. I haven't heard enough of Edwin/MiB's music to figure out if I liked them or not, and the Sperm did a pretty good job picking as well.

Saying you stopped giving a shit about it made me not want to do it for you. I'm not your fucking houseboy. I found it a bit condescending.

Guest Vitamin X

I didn't mean it like that, to be honest. Quite the contrary, as a matter of fact, since I was attempting to imply that you picking would enhance the overall list, but I suppose it doesn't really matter, does it.

I could have sworn that somebody selected The Piper at the Gates of Dawn at one point, but skimming over individual lists I cannot find it. Did I hallucinate this?

I may have speculated that Agent may want it as his Floyd pick, that may be what you're thinking of. Of course, I may not have actually done this, I'm not sure. What a long thread...

Probably a quickly retracted pick or something, although I remember you telling me that I would "understand" some album or another if I just "did more drugs". Was that not The Piper at the Gates of Dawn?

edit: here's what I was talkin' about: http://forums.thesmartmarks.com/index.php?...9589&st=420

Now we're talking.

There are a few albums that I just outright will not allow someone to dislike based on their chemical dependencies. Best example: Marilyn Manson's Mechanical Animals. I am an unapologetic Marilyn Manson fan, but if anyone dislikes that album, I tell them that unless you are a heavy user of disassociave drugs, you absolutely will not "get it". True.