TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
garfieldsnose

AWA Wrestling back on the air

http://sports.espn.go.com/espntv/espnGuide

Went to the DVDVR board and found this out. Went to the ESPN site to confirm and it is indeed true. The morning of Wednesday, February 27 at 1am (night of Tuesday, Feb. 26, depending how you look at it), AWA programming will take the place of the UWF slot. One hour shows from 1am-2am.

I am a bit excited to see this stuff since WWE 24/7 stopped airing classic AWA.

Hell yeah. What years are they covering? Just the ESPN era from 1985-90? I guess that is what they would have the rights to show. AWA even at its nadir is better than that UWF dreck.

I remember turning it on one night expecting the old-school UWF that Cowboy Bill Watts ran in the mid-80s and was very disappointed. I'm looking forward to seeing the AWA stuff again.

How come Vince doesn't run it on 24/7 anymore?

Hell yeah. What years are they covering? Just the ESPN era from 1985-90? I guess that is what they would have the rights to show. AWA even at its nadir is better than that UWF dreck.

From what I understand, ESPN pretty much owns all the rebroadcast rights to just about everything they have ever broadcast. They can't release a DVD, but can replay as much as they want.

Anyone see this the other night? They were smart and had the first match feature a very young Sean Michaels.

Much better show than the UWF episodes.

Guest JuanJoseNYC

ESPN perpetually owns the rights to the shows that they picked up from the UWF, AWA, LPWA, USWA, and GWF (in that order). In the case of the GWF, I believe that ESPN can only show their broadcast and not those that aired over the SportsChannel networks (GWF Major League Wrestling, which aired most Tuesdays back between 1992 until its demise in 1994). However, USWA programming also appeared on SportsChannel between 1991 and 1992, whether ESPN has the rights to those broadcasts is unknown to me. We'll just have to wait and see.

ESPN perpetually owns the rights to the shows that they picked up from the UWF, AWA, LPWA, USWA, and GWF (in that order). In the case of the GWF, I believe that ESPN can only show their broadcast and not those that aired over the SportsChannel networks (GWF Major League Wrestling, which aired most Tuesdays back between 1992 until its demise in 1994). However, USWA programming also appeared on SportsChannel between 1991 and 1992, whether ESPN has the rights to those broadcasts is unknown to me. We'll just have to wait and see.

thats what confused me, I thought with WWE owning the rights to AWA, ESPN wouldnt be allowed to air the shows that aired on ESPN in the 80s, I would think though since WWE owns the footage ESPN may have to pay a small royalty to WWE, then again I dont know

I watched the first show and there was some decent shit on there. The Shawn Michaels match was a good look at a future great learning his craft.

And getting to see a VERY green Scott Hall throwin' a mofucker all around the ring with one arm scoop slams is always cool. Plus, Curt Henning at ringside!

Anybody have any idea of what they'll be showing? Like any good matches I should watch for? I know alot of shit about AWA from the net, DVDS and shoots, but I haven't actually had a hance to watch much of it.

Guest JuanJoseNYC

Stay tuned because you will learn about Nick Bockwinkel's final AWA World Championship reign as he is upended by Curt Hennig at SuperClash II, who coincidentally loses the title by lowbrow means to Jerry Lawler.

So far this show has been sort of a treat for me. I never really got to see the AWA when it was still around (we didn't get cable 'til '91 or so).

I liked the segment with Zbyszko and Jannetty from the first show, where they were doing the sit down discussion. Really showed that Marty could have ended up being a pretty big star if he had kept his crap together.

Don't get the huge push Jerry Blackwell was getting, but I guess anyone of size could get pushed back then, even if they didn't have a bodybuilder physique.

Blackwell from 78-84 was a Damn DAMN fine worker

Really? I guess I've never seen any of his work from them, but his stuff here just makes him look like the usual '80s wallowing tub of lard.

Guest JuanJoseNYC

Think of it like this...

Jerry Blackwell circa 1983-84 > (Santino Marella circa 2007-08 * 2)

Who is the color commentator for the show they're showing tonight? Good lord is he terrible. He sounds like Bruno Sammartino....is it him?

"If the referee asks the wrestler if he wants to give up, and the wrestler says "yes", then that means that wrestler will lose the match and it will be over" ......Wow, thanks for clearing that up, Captain Obvious

Guest JuanJoseNYC

The announcing crew for last night episode (September 23, 1986) was Lord James Blears and Dick Jonkowski.

Guest ChiefWarEagle

AWA on ESPN Classic

Week 1

02/28/2008 (taped 03/04/1986)

Sean Michaels vs. Khan; Scott Hall vs. Doug Sommers; Bruiser Brody vs. Crusher Blackwell; Crusher Blackwell vs. Boris Zhukov

02/29/2008 (taped 07/15/1986)

Rose/Sommers vs. Jake Millman/Chad Bardeux; Col. DeBeers vs. Jesse Hernandez; Nick Bockwinkle vs. Boris Zhukov (show cut off early)

03/01/2008 (taped 07/22/1986)

Fargo vs. Hennig; Boris Zhukov vs. Patterson; Midnight Rockers; Ali Khan vs. Brad Rheingans

Week 2

03/04/2008

Burroughs vs. The Ninja; Pitman vs. Scott Hall; Boris Zhukov & Ali Khan vs. Myers & Cooper; Paul Garner vs. Nick Bockwinkel; Scott Hall vs. Col. DeBeers

03/05/2008 (taped 09/18/1986)

Cooper vs. Larry Zbyszko; Tabb vs. Brad Rheingans; Midnight Rockers vs. Sweat & Crenshaw; Cage Match Brody & Barbarian vs. Jimmy Snuka & Greg Gagne

03/06/2008 (taped 09/28/1986)

Rob Stone vs. Scott Hall; Richards & Frankie DeFalko vs. Yuri Gordyenko & Alexis Smifnoff; Tony Leoni & Dennis Stamp vs. Midnight Rockers; Larry Zbyszko vs. Curt Hennig

03/07/2008

C. Curtis vs. Marty Jannety; Barbarian& Boris Zhukov vs. C. Bassett & Spike Jones; Earthquake Ferris vs. Scott Hall; Jerry Blackwell vs. Bruiser Brody

03/08/2008

Clark vs. Larry Zbyszko; Knight vs. Marty Jannety; Pinky Sanchez vs. Bruiser Brody; Buddy Rose & Doug Summers vs. Curt Hennig & Scott Hall (Tag Team Title)

Week 3

03/11/2008 (taped 07/01/1986)

Earthquake Ferris vs. Col. DeBeers; Gus Torrez vs. Larry Zbyszko; Sherry Martel vs. C. Devine; Curt Hennig vs. Hanson

03/12/2008

Sanchez & Bald Eagle vs. Yuri Gordyenko & Alexis Smirnoff; Tony Leoni vs. Gagne; M. Richards vs. Col. DeBeers; Sweat vs. Larry Zbyskzko; Gartner vs. Leon White

03/13/2008

Tom Stone vs. Super Ninja; Glover vs. Greg Gagne; Sherri Martell vs. The Killer Tomato; Fargo vs. Brad Rheingans; Richards vs. Col. DeBeers

03/14/2008 (taped 12/07/1986)

Jones & Rogers vs. Alexis Smirnoff & Yuri Gordyenko; Sanchez vs. Jerry Blackwell; Tom Stone vs. Super Ninja; Greg Gagne vs. Tony Leoni; Larry Hennig vs. Boris Bresnikov; Rick Gatner vs. Curt Hennig

03/15/2008

Doug Somers vs. Shawn Michaels; Barbarian & Boris Zhukov vs. Marty Janneti & Curt Hennig; Leon White vs. Larry Zbyszko; Stan Hanson vs. David Sanmartino (World Heavyweight Title Bout)

Week 4

03/18/2008 (taped 03/23/1986)

Hernandez vs. Buddy Rose; B. Anderson vs. Col. DeBeers; Knight & DeHass vs. Midnight Rockers; Brad Rheinegans & Masked Murauder vs. Boris Zhukov & Barbarian vs. Scott Hall & Curt Hennig (World Tag Team Title Bout)

03/19/2008

Dennis Stamp vs. Col. DeBeers; York vs. Hennig; Boris Zhukov & Barbarian vs. Midnight Rockers

03/20/2008

Ali Khan vs. Earthquake Ferris; J. York vs. Jimmy Snuka; Jerry Blackwell vs. Hansen (World Heavyweight Title Bout); Alexis Smirnoff, Buddy Rose, Doug Somers vs. Curt Hennig & Midnight Rockers

03/21/2008 (taped 07/31/1986)

Gunther vs. Doug Somers; Fargo vs. Jimmy Snuka; Midnight Rockers vs. Larry Zbyszko & Mr. Go

03/22/2008 (taped 08/01/1986)

Week 5

03/25/2008

03/26/2008 (taped 09/08/1986)

Glover vs. Greg Gagne; Fields & Crenshaw vs. Doug Somers & Buddy Rose; Sweat vs. Larry Zbyszko; Tabb vs. Hennig; Boris Zhukov vs. Nick Bockwinkel (World Heavyweight Title Bout)

03/27/2008

Marty Jannetti (AWA debut) vs. Nick Kiniski; Lord Littlebrook & Little Tokyo vs. Cowboy Lang & Little Mr. T; Stan Hansen vs. Rick Martel (World Heavyweight Title)

03/28/2008

Steve Regal vs. Brad Rheinegans (Light Heavyweight Title); Little Mr. T vs. Little Tokyo; Long Riders & Harley Race vs. Jumbo Tsuruta, Giant Baba & Genichiro Tenryu; Stan Hansen vs. Rick Martel (World Heavyweight Title)

03/29/2008

Candi Devine vs. Sherri Martel (Women's Title); Kamala vs. Jerry Blackwell; Nick Bockwinkel & Larry Zbyszko & Stephens vs. Scott Hall, Verne Gagne & Curt Hennig

Week 6

04/01/2008

04/02/2008

04/03/2008 (taped 04/20/1986)

04/04/2008 (taped 05/01/1986)

04/05/2008

Week 7

04/08/2008

04/09/2008

04/11/2008 (taped 03/31/1986)

04/12/2008 (taped 04/09/1986)

Week 8

04/15/2008

04/16/2008 (taped 05/21/1986)

04/17/2008

04/18/2008

04/19/2008 (taped 08/07/1986)

Week 9

04/22/2008

04/23/2008 (taped 12/27/1987)

RPM's & Cactus Jack vs. Guerrero Bros.; Ron Garvin vs. Greg Gagne; Rock & Roll Express vs. Stud Stable; Sgt. Slaughter vs. Col. DeBeers

04/24/2008 (taped 12/26/1988)

Tom Rich vs. Jimmy Valiant; Top Guns vs. Hangman & Beast; Sgt. Slaughter vs. Boris Zhukov; Stud Stable vs. Nature's Best; Badd Company vs. RPM's

04/25/2008

Iceman King Parson vs. Brickhouse Brown; Eric Embry vs. Jeff Jarrett; Samoan Swat Team vs. Hayes & Cox

04/26/2008

Badd Company vs. Baxter & Odyssey; Manny Fernandez vs. Street; Matt Striker vs. Wahoo McDaniel; Madusa Miceli vs. Wendy Richter (Ladies title); Samoan Swat Team vs. Hayes & Cox (WCCW Tag Title)

Week 10

04/29/2008

Beauty & The Beast vs. Top Guns; Col. DeBeers vs. Grim Reaper; Natures Best vs. RPM's; Young vs. Brickhouse Brown; Jerry Lawler vs. Kerry Von Erich (AWA/WCCW Heavyweight Title)

04/30/2008

Cactus Jack & Young vs. Billy Travis & Rick Steiner; Mike Enos vs. Ali Khan; Jerry Lawler vs. Kerry Von Erich; Ron Garvin vs. Reynolds; Rock and Roll Express vs. Kerry Von Erich & Hangman; Soldat Ustinov vs. Sgt. Slaughter

Guest heyguesswhatidid

Wow, where'd you find the list of episodes, that's awesome, looking forward to a lot of this.

Guest ChiefWarEagle

The guide is from the ESPN website.

Here are the Menu's I did for these.

post-9868-1204777115_thumb.jpg

post-9868-1204777172_thumb.jpg

Guest JuanJoseNYC

All of the episodes seem to be jumbled up, but no matter, because I will be watching them anyways esp. all of the Stan Hansen matches.

Scott Hall was the man on these old AWA shows. How the hell did Gagne not find a way to make money with him? This feud with Col. DeBeers is hilarious, with the Col. refusing to wrestle Hall because he feels he's obviously on anabolic steroids. This is the actual feud!

Other thoughts: What was up with Bockwinkel having a serious match with that no name jobber on this one episode? The guy is a world champ and he's fucking around for 10 mins. with some bum. World champs shouldn't even bother with jobber guys...when did you see Hogan or Flair back then do that sort of thing with frequency? If they did face a jobber, they squashed him.

03/06/2008 (taped 09/28/1986)

Rob Stone vs. Scott Hall; Richards & Frankie DeFalko vs. Yuri Gordyenko & Alexis Smifnoff; Tony Leoni & Dennis Stamp vs. Midnight Rockers; Larry Zbyszko vs. Curt Hennig

Hey hey hey, look who got booked!

Guest JuanJoseNYC
Scott Hall was the man on these old AWA shows. How the hell did Gagne not find a way to make money with him? This feud with Col. DeBeers is hilarious, with the Col. refusing to wrestle Hall because he feels he's obviously on anabolic steroids. This is the actual feud!

Other thoughts: What was up with Bockwinkel having a serious match with that no name jobber on this one episode? The guy is a world champ and he's fucking around for 10 mins. with some bum. World champs shouldn't even bother with jobber guys...when did you see Hogan or Flair back then do that sort of thing with frequency? If they did face a jobber, they squashed him.

Actually, Ric Flair did the same thing with George South on a few occasions while Flair was NWA World Champ. Flair gave South his 15 minutes of fame quite a few times.