TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
garfieldsnose

AWA Wrestling back on the air

One would think the Tokyo Bullets could at least tuck their blonde hair under their masks.

lol yeah, that was horrible but in the best way possible.

Oh and I noticed one of the regular jobbers on these shows, Todd Becker or something, now, for some reason, also started reffing on this show. Damn, they must have really been reaching if they're asking jobbers to pull double duty and ref!

Jesus, Rheingans and Zbysko just completely wasted 20 good minutes that didn't even need to be half that. What a shitty shitty deal that was for a main event. Unless you like headlocks and armbars.

Ralph and Lee having a freakout about Larry cheating for the finish, during replay, like they didn't notice it before, was quality though.

Do not let Brad Rheingans talk!! Bad idea!

But yeah, Lee Marshall was really on a roll on some of these shows.....and people think Schiavonie was a shill on Nitro?!! Shit, Lee Marshall oversold damn near everything on these shows like he was having a gun stuck in his back the whole time, especially the "excitement" of the Team Challenge Series updates, which the recap on this show was great.....Koloff v. random jobber in a TCS match, apparently this guy (Mike George) was Baron Von Raschke's team "timekeeper." You know its getting bad when the actual jobbers are put over on TV as special!!

Grasping a bit but Mike Geogre was a late 80's Midwestern territorial headliner.

This next show sounds craptastic, can't wait to actually watch it! When was the AWA's last show on ESPN and when did they finally give up?

I want them to backtrack though to 1989. After that, they can feel free to bust out some old school Global action. I wanna see The Patriot, not The Trooper.

One would think the Tokyo Bullets could at least tuck their blonde hair under their masks.

Oh and I noticed one of the regular jobbers on these shows, Todd Becker or something, now, for some reason, also started reffing on this show. Damn, they must have really been reaching if they're asking jobbers to pull double duty and ref!

On some of the shows from circa '86 they had a couple guys pulling ref duty...notably Earthquake Ferris and that LaDeaux (sp?) boxer guy. I think the idea was that it was a way for the newer guys to learn the sport without doing matches immediately.

I don't even know if most of this stuff is exactly Wrestlecrap. The Team Challenge Series stuff obvious is, especially things like the football match. But The Texas Hangmen squashing a couple of jobbers? That might be a bit boring, but it's not really Wrestlecrap.

Speaking of the Texas Hangmen, does anyone know if this was the same pair as in WCW, who pulled double duty as Tough Tom and Mean Mike, Disorderly Conduct?

A few gems already early on in tonights show....

I've noticed this during other matches as well the last few weeks, but every so often, they will cut in rabid crowd reaction footage from old Showboat shows, years before 1990 when that place was pretty hot in terms of crowd reactions. Its easily noticable when they do this, since you can actually see the entire crowd in the background of showing ringsiders, and at the actual tapings in Rochester, they were lucky to even fill up 5 rows of ringside plus a few sections right in front of the hard cam.

Also so far, Del Wilkes did the typical cookie cutter babyface promo after his squash and then addressed about 10 kids at ringside and made sure they would be safe and not get into any trouble during the summer and made them promise they would be good (WTF?) , it was funny seeing how these kids ate it up though, and shook his hand after he told them that.

And it looks like these shows went a bit off order since we're now getting about half of the Mike George-Nikita Koloff TCS classic they referenced the night before. Even though Mike George did some heavier standing matches in the midwest, he was the equivalent to George South of the Carolinas around these parts, and thus still screamed out jobber, big time. Plus having him casted as Larry's Legends "timekeeper" didn't help him much either!

Speaking of the Texas Hangmen, does anyone know if this was the same pair as in WCW, who pulled double duty as Tough Tom and Mean Mike, Disorderly Conduct?

I don't think they were one of the same, but it may be possible.

On some of the shows from circa '86 they had a couple guys pulling ref duty...notably Earthquake Ferris and that LaDeaux (sp?) boxer guy. I think the idea was that it was a way for the newer guys to learn the sport without doing matches immediately.

Yeah, but at least they werent working matches on the same tapings back in 86, Becker was also doing jobs at the same time he was being used as a ref.

This next show sounds craptastic, can't wait to actually watch it! When was the AWA's last show on ESPN and when did they finally give up?

I want them to backtrack though to 1989. After that, they can feel free to bust out some old school Global action. I wanna see The Patriot, not The Trooper.

I would bet that is next once the AWA wraps up. I really enjoyed the initial first 3-4 months of Global, especially. The LW tournament was great, I remember Jerry Lynn and Waltman working against each other, IIRC. I also recall seeing Waltman doing some crazy somersault dive from the ringpost to the stage where they would interview wrestlers and thinking that was pretty good stuff for it's time.

Plus the GWF ran out of the Dallas Sportatorium, great location and crowd too. I always wanted to see a show there just because of the unique atmosphere it gave off when watching GWF, USWA, and of course World Class.

Wonder what the deal was with The Texas Hangmen being booked as singles guys in this particular point in time?! Granted, it might just be for a week or two, but still, WTF. I can't think of a tag team other than them that I'd rather NOT see in singles matches whatsoever. Even their horrible tag squashes are getting really boring, singles is even worse.

Did they tell Scott Norton to wear his pants up that high as a rib to go along with the "Flapjack" gimmick?

I heard the same rumor, as I was told the Midwest Indy team THe Southern Mississippi Miltia around 2001 were these guys

What the fuck is this Rick McCord guy going for by coming out in a tuxedo and looking like the biggest DB evaaaaar?! I don't get his gimmick at all.

Oh sheesh, Destruction Crew have a new manager, Christopher Love, who I believe is Bert Prentice perhaps?

Still can't remember, or figure out, who the masked guy is in the crowd.

Absolutely horrible promo with DJ Peterson and McCord after the match. Seriously, ouch.

I have to admit on that recent show I almost fell on the floor laughing at that crappy tag match with the Tokyo Bullets. It was blatantly two white guys under masks, even more obvious than guys like Paul Diamond in the Orient Express or Jamie Noble in the Yung Dragons.

Words can't explain the insanity of the last few shows worth of Buck Zumhoffe.....I don't even know where to start! The fuckin promos he did were some Wrestlecrap gold to a tee.

I heard the same rumor, as I was told the Midwest Indy team THe Southern Mississippi Miltia around 2001 were these guys

Okay - Over at wrestling classics they confirmed the Hangmen don't = Tough Tom and Mean Mike of Disoderly Conduct

Words can't explain the insanity of the last few shows worth of Buck Zumhoffe.....I don't even know where to start! The fuckin promos he did were some Wrestlecrap gold to a tee.

Sad but true - when I was a wee mark of 7 years old or so, I marked for Bucky Zumoffe because Baron VR told me what a great guy he was

Sad but true - when I was a wee mark of 7 years old or so, I marked for Bucky Zumoffe because Baron VR told me what a great guy he was

I've met Buck a few times at indy shows in MN from the past 10-15 years, and lets just say he's a fuckin weird fucker, big time. Gives Jake Roberts a run for his money as most drugged out, smoked out, soaked up......well you get the point. The only difference is I think Buck has totally lost his mind completely and possibly isnt even on drugs or booze anymore. At least Jake still has regained himself a bit, not the case here. He actually still works around the state once in awhile, a while back he even was a part of a show at a local bar in town here that had his name attached to it, featuring midget wrestling. It was billed as something like "Buck Zumhoffe's Rock N Roll Midget Wrestling" or something. One of the most brutal wrestling shows I've seen, easily. The guy STILL comes out with his boombox!

But, yeah, sadly, the guy is almost like an oldschool legend of sorts in Minnesota. Hence some promoter (for all I know, Zumhoffe was putting on these bar shows) attaching his name to the whole deal.

My first exposure to Zumhoffe was seeing him as HHH's first WWF opponent in a jobber squash, which is on HHH's DVD (one of them). Then soon after I picked up a wrestling magazine that had a retro AWA top 10 from 1989 or so and I saw Buck Zumhoffe listed. I thought "Man the AWA must have sucked at that point if that jobber was ranked."

Okay - Over at wrestling classics they confirmed the Hangmen don't = Tough Tom and Mean Mike of Disoderly Conduct

If these are the same Texas Hangmen that were champs in WWC at the time, they are One of the Disorderly Conduct guys and Rick "Bull Pain" Ganter.

Imagine how cool it would be for the Hulkamania generation to have Larry Nelson interviewing Hogan every week.

Caught most of Friday's show. DeBeers' promo was good stuff. While Bloom goes w/ FatJack, DeBeers prefers FlipFlop to describe Scott Norton. Also, DeBeers selling the 'new' info that Norton is a champion arm wrestler was great. Larry Z also had an entertaining promo. He really looks so goofy w/ the championship though. Granted, they were kind of out of options . . . I mean DJ Peterson is getting a title match on Tues's ep (unless they skip ahead again).

Any chance we may get WCCW episodes? I was watching a Von Erich/SST match from World Class in 1988 and there were ESPN banners in the arena. I can only assume ESPN broadcasted both promotions. Either way, I could go for some WCCW even in their later years.

Imagine how cool it would be for the Hulkamania generation to have Larry Nelson interviewing Hogan every week.

Caught most of Friday's show. DeBeers' promo was good stuff. While Bloom goes w/ FatJack, DeBeers prefers FlipFlop to describe Scott Norton. Also, DeBeers selling the 'new' info that Norton is a champion arm wrestler was great. Larry Z also had an entertaining promo. He really looks so goofy w/ the championship though. Granted, they were kind of out of options . . . I mean DJ Peterson is getting a title match on Tues's ep (unless they skip ahead again).

Any chance we may get WCCW episodes? I was watching a Von Erich/SST match from World Class in 1988 and there were ESPN banners in the arena. I can only assume ESPN broadcasted both promotions. Either way, I could go for some WCCW even in their later years.

Well, ESPN does own a run of WCCW stuff that they called "Heroes of World Class" or something, so I'm sure it's possible to see that, and GWF definately also.

Late era WCCW might be more depressing than fun though, so I don't know how much I want to see that stuff. Old school Global action though? I'm there. Used to watch it every day when I got home from school, which I couldn't do with the AWA since I was in elementary school for most of their ESPN run and seemingly never got home until 5:00 or so.