TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
garfieldsnose

AWA Wrestling back on the air

A fan being held back by 2 cops while Col Debeers mocked him after mauling Snuka on tonight's show was awesome.

Another fan nearly jumped the chain rope fence when Debeers had Snuka up for a face plant pildriver on the floor.

AWESOME.

Caught last night the Lawler-Von Erich title vs. title match in Nashville that led up to their SuperClash match. It was not exactly five-star but it was pretty entertaining. I admit I marked out when both of them look at the ref when he tries to break them up, look back at each other and then knock the ref out and proceed to keep pounding on each other. And the end exchanges between the two were golden...

Lawler..."Hey, he's disqualified, right? In World Class, you lose the belt on a disqualification. I'm the champion!"

Von Erich..."Well, in World Class, we don't have any sissy rules like no piledrivers...I'm the champ!" I do remember Tennessee banning the piledriver, even though it was legal in both the AWA and WCCW.

On another note...anyone know if I can find footage of the Kerry-Colonel DeBeers match where DeBeers accidentally yanked off his boot and revealed the amputation that Kerry had tried to hide of his foot?

Whoa. Did that really happen? Wow. I'd like to see footage of that, too. What did Kerry do in response?

Vader came out tonight with a ball cap and yellow jacket on, and teamed with Buck Zumoffe wearing a construction worker hat and shirt.

And they fought Jay York and Renslow (?) who were The ALASKANS, and dressed as eskimos. Kent called them #1 and #2 despite mentioning their real names.

Rodger Kent randomly started talking about Catchaboo, Alaska which made me laugh.

Then Kent said one of the Alaskans had died and Greg said "uh...no" and it turned out Kent was talking about Yukon Eric. Then he and Greg argued over how Eric lost his ear.

All greatness!!

Around what years are they doing now? I stopped watching when it seemed like I was seeing repeat airings constantly.

They're muddling around in early 1986. But it's hard to tell if they're going in order or not. Some of the eps are those I haven't seen yet. Not saying they're not reruns but I've seen more than a fair share of AWA on ESPNC.

5 stars to Slaughter's theme. My friend who is a huge GI Joe fan got a kick out of this. As the song sounded dubbed in, he asked what song they're dubbing over. I didn't know at the time. After watching the next couple eps w/ Slaughter sans music, I assume they're dubbing over silence. I love the mob Slaughter attracts when he's passing out the Fabulous Rougeau flags.

Yay for AWA also doing the ol heel team vs face star and a jobber (Rose/Somers vs Vader/Jesse Hernandez). I tend to get a kick out of those. To this day, I want to scream NOOOOOO when the face star tags in the shlub.

So does anyone know the deal w/ ESPNC avoiding the 1989 AWA eps? Were they off ESPN at this time?

And three cheers for the Verne Gagne/Lord James Blears commentating combo. Both of these guys are always lost. During the Vader/Hansen championship match, Gagne was more concerned about getting some semi-attractive skirt to say hi to all the wrestling fans out there.