TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest heat

How to book the rest of 08

I don't want to go into detail on how I would book RAW but here is it briefly, from WM to Summerslam.

HHH wins the title at WM and Hardy wins MITB

HHH drops the title to JBL at Judgement Day or Vengence.

Jeff Hardy cashes in his MITB for a Summerslam title match against JBL and wins the title.

I feel JBL would be the perfect heel for Jeff Hardy to win the title off of, just based on JBL's promo skills alone. JBL can shoot on Hardy being just some stunt wrestler, drug addict, and someone who will never win the big one... which will make the feud very heated, and will have a good build.

If Hardy wins the title this year, it would be much better if he beat Triple H for the title. They can play up that Hardy beat Hunter at Armageddon, and that while Hunter beat Hardy to win his Wrestlemania title shot and kind of even things up, it wasn't a straight singles match. Hardy and Hunter have a backstory they can draw on to make for a compelling story, even to where it becomes almost Teacher vs. Pupil. It would be far more interesting than anything they could with JBL, even with the lure of shoot comments, which would serve only to bury Hardy.

So, you want Cena to come back, win the title at WM but lose it clean one month later?

He's already in the title match. I didn't pick that. And yes, I think it should be possible to win the title at WM and lose it at Backlash. If not, Backlash is just a boring throwaway PPV every year.

Then you want Cena to turn heel, when the current dynamic is going great guns and needs no adjustment?

First off, tell me how many legitimate main event heels there are on Raw right now. I count one (Randy Orton). That means a heel turn for someone is very necessary within the next 6 months or so especially if we bring back another main event face. I haven't watched Raw since Cena came back, but I read the results on PWTorch last night, and they said that Cena's still getting booed by half the crowd. If that's the case, I think that would make him a prime candidate to be the one that turns.

And then you want to recreate the Fingerpoke of Doom, one of the most monumentally retarded angles WCW ever did, just for a one-week title reign?

It's not for a one-week title reign, it's to have Cena turn on Jeff Hardy, advance Hardy's character in a meaningful way and give him the feud that will turn him into a true main eventer. Also, I didn't mean it literally has to be a fingerpoke, just that he gets Kennedy to lay down for him. The reason the fingerpoke angle was such a failure in WCW was that they used it with established main eventers and therefore it devalued the title that Nash wouldn't care if he could keep it. If Kennedy knows that he'd probably lose to Cena in a rematch anyway, that's a different story. I'm not married to that part though. I was thinking that alternately, he could refuse to lie down and Hardy could cost Cena the title in the rematch. Makes it kinda tough to deal with the title match at the next PPV though. Also, it might work a little better using someone further down the card than Kennedy, maybe someone already in Cena's stable. If anything, I'm trying to recreate the Orton/Evolution angle where Hardy thinks he's getting his big chance and then he gets turned on by his own stable.

I like how RVD returns for no reason.

The thread asked what would happen if I was in charge of Raw. The reason I would bring RVD back if I was in charge is because everyone on Raw bores me in their current roles, and RVD doesn't. Also, both times that he's been well booked for more than a couple months (summer/fall 2001 and spring/summer 2006), he's been extremely over, moreso than any face has been on Raw since he left. Cena's over in his own way, but I want a traditional face champion, one that's cheered by males 18-35 in addition to children and women. That's supposed to be the WWE's target demographic, and they've been left too long without someone they can cheer for. I think a lot of them are just turning off the product completely for that very reason.

You know, there's really no reason that RVD isn't in the WWE right now in the first place other than that the bookers don't like him and won't find anything for him to do in the main event. Well, I could definitely find something for him to do in the main event, and if I offered him a 6-month title reign starting a month after he came back, I'm sure RVD would be more than happy to wrestle on Raw every week.

I like how RVD returns for no reason.

The thread asked what would happen if I was in charge of Raw. The reason I would bring RVD back if I was in charge is because everyone on Raw bores me in their current roles, and RVD doesn't. Also, both times that he's been well booked for more than a couple months (summer/fall 2001 and spring/summer 2006), he's been extremely over, moreso than any face has been on Raw since he left. Cena's over in his own way, but I want a traditional face champion, one that's cheered by males 18-35 in addition to children and women. That's supposed to be the WWE's target demographic, and they've been left too long without someone they can cheer for. I think a lot of them are just turning off the product completely for that very reason.

You know, there's really no reason that RVD isn't in the WWE right now in the first place other than that the bookers don't like him and won't find anything for him to do in the main event. Well, I could definitely find something for him to do in the main event, and if I offered him a 6-month title reign starting a month after he came back, I'm sure RVD would be more than happy to wrestle on Raw every week.

Or its probably because he was caught with dope when he finally got the title, and he's also not too good of a wrestler

Guest dustinbeaverton

Or its probably because he was caught with dope when he finally got the title, and he's also not too good of a wrestler

But man, that's so weak. I mean, I'm sure RVD was well aware of the WWE's policies, but to be punished so harshly for pot? Seriously, Vince did more harm to himself using roids. Pot is so harmless, especially compared to the crazy shit that WWE guys use, whether roids or painkillers or whatever. Again, it's totally RVD's fault since he knew of the policies... but that's a stupid policy, in my book. Slap him on the wrist, but don't kill his career over it.

Marijuana is illegal, no matter how you cut it. If your world champion is caught doing illegal things, you have to take measures to show that you don't condone that behavior. Now if RVD hadn't gotten caught, the WWE would have let his marijuana use slide.

Guest dustinbeaverton

Yeah, but if RVD gets pulled over for speeding, are they going to bury him? I understand it's illegal, and obviously RVD knew the risks involved, so he needed to use better judgment... unless getting high is more important to him than wrestling. It just sucks that he got punished so harshly for something so harmless. Tough luck for him, that's all.

Comparing speeding and getting caught with pot is so inconsequential it shouldn't even be a valid comparison. Pot is pot...no matter who you are, you're going to be looked at as a bad role model. You can't tell me if Michael Jordan got caught with pot and suspended by the NBA, nobody wouldn't understand why.

To add to my previous post, if Cena was caught doing pot as champion, everyone would call for him to drop the title and be suspended. Difference is, he probably would be put right back into the main event upon his return. It's his relationship with Vince that allows that. RVD never really had a great relationship with Vince, and when Vince finally gave him the ball, he dropped it. RVD never really should have been given another opportunity when you think about it, given his relationship with Vince. That lone incident lost Vince's trust in RVD. RVD was probably not apologetic anyways, since that is his lifestyle. It shouldn't be that hard to understand that aspect, even if you are a big RVD fan.

Yes, the WWE really needed to show that they don't approve of smoking weed after they'd already spent 6 years marketing RVD as a stoner selling "no one gets higher" T-shirts, etc. How hypocritical can you get? That's like taking Stone Cold out of the main event during 1998/1999 if he got arrested for being drunk in public.

Marijuana is illegal, no matter how you cut it. If your world champion is caught doing illegal things, you have to take measures to show that you don't condone that behavior. Now if RVD hadn't gotten caught, the WWE would have let his marijuana use slide.

wrld-orton02-2.jpg

wrld-orton02-2.jpg

He wasn't the WWE Champion at the time, he didn't get busted by the cops, and his best friend wasn't in the passenger seat with a bag full of pain killers at the time either.

And Orton did miss out on a big push as a result of his transgressions. It was only after he apparently (or they are doing a better job covering up his shit this time) calmed down that they gave him a title run. And even then, he's probably not going to survive Mania with the belt intact.

If it was up to me, I'd have Orton retain at Wrestlemania and drop it afterwards either at Backlash or SummerSlam back to Cena or HHH. Cena's reign was long enough, its about time a real heel had a long title run for a change. Its like JBL, but better.

However, if HHH wins at Wrestlemania:

Rematch against Orton at Backlash in a Street Fight (I like that idea as someone else had pitched) since Cena is likely to take the fall in the Mania match because of his movie coming up.

Defends it against JBL at Judgment Day, rematch at Vengeance

Defends it against Khali or somebody at The Great American Bash

Drops it to Hardy or Kennedy at SummerSlam

John Cena, Vince's golden boy and the TOP face of all of WWE, is not going to take the fuckin' pinfall at Wrestlemania, movie be damned or not. Orton's in the match to do the job, plain and simple. The match will either see HHH defeat Orton or Cena defeat Orton.

Yes, the WWE really needed to show that they don't approve of smoking weed after they'd already spent 6 years marketing RVD as a stoner selling "no one gets higher" T-shirts, etc. How hypocritical can you get? That's like taking Stone Cold out of the main event during 1998/1999 if he got arrested for being drunk in public.

Because RVD wasn't marketed as a stoner in ECW. And I'm sure with the relative IQ in WWE brass, they thought that phrase meant RVD goes really high with the frogsplash.

I'm not saying RVD should have or should not have been suspended. But it's easy to see why WWE did what they did. It's a fucking corporate business, and it happens all the time. Just because your favorite (bad) spot wrestler got suspended for smoking weed isn't the best reason for an outcry.

wrld-orton02-2.jpg

He wasn't the WWE Champion at the time, he didn't get busted by the cops, and his best friend wasn't in the passenger seat with a bag full of pain killers at the time either.

He wasnt WWE champion but got the belt a mere two months after the Signature thing in his second steroid bust of 2007. He wasnt punished for a good 6 months like RVD did obviously. He was busted by the cops obviously when they broke up the fake pharmacy, only they declined to press charges. But recieving steroids in the mail is illegal right? Illegal should be illegal no matter what if they took that kind of actions against RVD. Its the same thing with the current World champion and the ECW champ who all got title pushes very soon after the signature bust.

I'm not saying RVD should have or should not have been suspended. But it's easy to see why WWE did what they did. It's a fucking corporate business, and it happens all the time. Just because your favorite (bad) spot wrestler got suspended for smoking weed isn't the best reason for an outcry.

All I'm saying is that WWE corporate/the board of directors/the stockholders are not the reason RVD's not a main event star. The bookers and Vince not liking him are. They only gave him a push in 2006 because it was absolutely necessary to get their ECW brand off the ground and it had no shot without him. Of all the wrestlers the WWE's had in the last 10 years, RVD was the most over that never got a sustained push, long title reign, and legitimate attempt to make him a main event superstar. Even Jericho (who wasn't as over as RVD) got the Undisputed champion thing, a 4-month title reign, and a WM main event. They botched the hell out of it, but at least they tried.

Just some quick thoughts....more fantasy booking than reality.....

WWE TITLE:

HHH wins at Mania, and sometime in the summer, Flair beats him for the title and then retires (he's not finished at Mania). Tournament following sees Hardy/HHH in the finals (thinking this might be at SummerSlam) with Hardy going over. Later on near the end of the year, Kennedy beats Hardy.

WORLD TITLE:

Taker goes over at Mania, and has a strong run, not ending until Survivor Series when he's defeated by Jericho (who goes to Smackdown sometime in the year)

ECW TITLE:

Punk regains from Chavo (probably Mania) and from there, Benjamin wins the belt in no time, probably a Kofi Kingston run near the end of the year also. Wouldnt be shocked to see Umaga possibly given a run, too.

OTHER STUFF:

Cena and Batista have a strong feud later in the year when Batista is drafted to Raw and turns heel. Michaels is thrown in the mix with them too somehow.

MVP moves to Raw and is pushed hard and Big Show gets a strong return push on Smackdown.

JBL and Vince are paired up most of the year as a strong alliance.

Orton could see going to Smackdown, turning face, and feuding with Edge by mid year

Iggy, the only think I want to point out about your fantasy booking is RVD's comeback title program. He hasn't beaten Orton in their ONLY one on one match. Orton/RVD has happened COUNTLESS times, including Orton's 1st IC Title victory. Just have him come back for "putting him out" before or something.

Yeah, I was having Cena win the title in the Triple Threat at Wrestlemania, and then letting RVD challenge him for the title at Backlash drawing on the history from ONS and Cena never getting his job back. Seems like a solid basis for a feud IMO. I'm also using that narrative and the loss to set up Cena's heel turn where he realizes that he "can't beat RVD straight up" and that his only chance of winning the title back is cheating to win.

Orton was just in the paragraph to explain the angle where he never gets pinned for the title (triple threat match) and then misses out on his rematch because Orton's temporarily injured and RVD wins the title from Cena before Orton ever gets a chance to invoke his rematch clause.

John Cena, Vince's golden boy and the TOP face of all of WWE, is not going to take the fuckin' pinfall at Wrestlemania, movie be damned or not. Orton's in the match to do the job, plain and simple. The match will either see HHH defeat Orton or Cena defeat Orton.

HHH never got his job back from Cena.