TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DrVenkman PhD

WWE General Discussion - February 2008

I don't know if you did or not because I haven't read much of that thread, but kudos if you did, sir...great minds think a like...I shall give full credit to you should it happen!

How about that news item on MTV.com (I think) where Hogan has issued a challenge for Ric Flair to face him at WrestleMania? Apparently Hogan has stated that Mania "badly needs a main event" or something of the like. Obviously, he's aiming for the big paycheck that a Mania match would entail and not the relevant Flair farewell match we all hope for, but what do you guys think of the possibility?

Personally, I don't think Hogan would lay down for Flair, specially at Mania, so Flair can have his moment. And on the other hand, it would be too much of a reward for Hogan to be the one who retires Flair. So IMO, this isn't a good idea. Hogan can go create his own Fed with Bischoff for all I care.

Horrible idea. Hogan is the LAST guy Flair should have his final match with. It isn't even a dream match. They have wrestled over 50 times. Hogan's reaching for attention as always. How many different people has Hogan hinted at doing a WM match with? Savage, Khali, Show and now Flair.

Part of me hopes he's getting a match with Flair. I'm going to the last RAW before Wrestlemania, and I've never seen Hogan live before. Would be fun to see him and Flair hype a match. On the other hand, the match would suck suck SUCK, so I hope Flair gets a good opponent for his final match.

Am I the only one who's never heard of this Mayweather guy? I mean after reading the PPV results Sunday night, I had to Google his name to find out anything about him. I seriously doubt McMahon will get the kind of mainstream attention out of this like he did when Mike Tyson came in at Wrestlemania 14, if that's what he's going for.

You probably are. Mayweather along with Oscar De La Hoya set the record for a boxing Pay Per View buyrate last year. For nearly three years he has been recognized as the best pound for pound boxer by Ring Magazine.

I seriously doubt I'm the only one, as Mayweather must only be famous with boxing fans. And lets face it, most diehard boxing fans hate wrestling (and vice versa).

I have no idea who he is, but I do know who Oscar De La Hoya and even Roy Jones Jr. are. He has NO mainstream coverage, unlike Mike Tyson did years ago. I mean, hell, Tyson had a Nintendo game named after him, and a high-profile rape case, not to mention he had bitten off Holyfield's ear which gave him tons of press.

Atleast among my friends, boxing has been over-taken by UFC in popularity. I mean, I would even say someone like Tito Ortiz is more mainstream than Mayweather. But still, nowhere near as well-known Mike Tyson.

This angle could backfire, kinda reminds me of when WCW tried bringing in the No Limit Soldiers as babyfaces and it backfired.

He has NO mainstream coverage
They will by mania, The Clemons, Mcnamee, and Pettittee Love triangle is getting most of the attention now, but I'm sure Mayweather will pop a buyrate. I'm kind of baffled that you know Roy Jones and not Mayweather, its kind of odd. It still doesn't really dismiss the fact that he's very well known, and is a very big deal.

Isn't Cena about to leave again too shoot a new movie?

He has NO mainstream coverage
They will by mania, The Clemons, Mcnamee, and Pettittee Love triangle is getting most of the attention now, but I'm sure Mayweather will pop a buyrate. I'm kind of baffled that you know Roy Jones and not Mayweather, its kind of odd. It still doesn't really dismiss the fact that he's very well known, and is a very big deal.

Isn't Cena about to leave again too shoot a new movie?

When I said Mayweather has no mainstream coverage, I meant that his name isn't in the news all the time like Tyson's was prior to his involvement at Wrestlemania 14, with the Evander Holyfield ear-biting incident and shit. The only mainstream sports star close to having the same effect as Tyson did back then, would be someone like Barry Bonds or even Roger Clemons, but that would be in horrible taste.

Floyd Mayweather had two of the biggest PPV drawing fights last year alone in 2007... Just because you've never heard of him, doesn't mean he doesnt get mainstream coverage. His 24/7 series with De La Hoya and Hatton last year were very popular.

Floyd Mayweather had two of the biggest PPV drawing fights last year alone in 2007... Just because you've never heard of him, doesn't mean he doesnt get mainstream coverage. His 24/7 series with De La Hoya and Hatton last year were very popular.

But the fact that I haven't heard of him and I have heard of most other popular boxers is a pretty good indication that he doesn't have the kind of wide-spread appeal needed to pop a big buyrate on a WWE ppv (not boxing). And this is aside from the fact that he's feuding with Big Show, who is not in Stone Cold or HBK's league.

And here's further evidence I'm not alone in wondering who the hell Mayweather is: http://prowrestling.about.com/b/2008/02/18...yweather-jr.htm

I really hope Shawn is super heal going into his match against Flair. If they do the gay "I respect and love you so much but I have to do my job and fight you at WM" angle, it will suck !! He needs to super kick him out of nowhere next week and it would instantly be the most anticipated match of the night.

Also I hope they include Jericho in the Finlay vs JBL/Vince match. It makes the most sense.

I don't know if HBK could go super heel when he's expected to go over Flair and retire him at WM. I still like Edge vs Flair in a Title vs Career match, with Edge going over only to have MITB winner Jeff Hardy cash in his title shot and beat Edge to end the night.

Floyd Mayweather is huge in boxing circles but never crossed over to the main stream conscious like de la Hoya has. I mean Pretty Boy even did Dancing with the Stars for crissakes. It's actually a pretty good cross promotion between WWE and PBF in that wwe hopes even a fraction of his boxing fans tune in for the PPV and Floyd is hoping to raise his name value to non-boxing fans which seems to be working. I'm not feeling Mayweather vs Big Show though. Mayweather should have been booked the heel(he's a natural heel), however against Big Show, the size difference alone keeps him the David-esque defacto face.

But the fact that I haven't heard of him and I have heard of most other popular boxers is a pretty good indication that he doesn't have the kind of wide-spread appeal needed to pop a big buyrate on a WWE ppv (not boxing).

Mayweather isn't the type of boxer who appeals to the older crowd, but to the 18-25 crowd. He's young, charismatic, and appeals to the "hip hop" type crowd.

I guess because you never heard of him, means he has no wide-spread appeal right? :bonk: :bonk:

I don't get how you can say that he's not big enough to draw a buyrate for the WWE, when his fights are almost double price for the PPV and generate more then double of what the WWE PPV's draw. You mentioned he got no reaction last night, Anaheim sucks for crowd reactions. Did you even see the reaction he got at No Way Out? I doubt it...

If you follow wrestling via Dave Meltzer, you can't NOT have heard of Mayweather. He was talking about him all the time during the Mayweather / Hatton 24/7 deal (which also aired about 5,000 times on The Fight Network here).

I don't keep up with boxing at all and I've heard a fair bit about him, especially before his Ricky Hatton fight. He's been on sports broadcasts even down here.

But the fact that I haven't heard of him and I have heard of most other popular boxers is a pretty good indication that he doesn't have the kind of wide-spread appeal needed to pop a big buyrate on a WWE ppv (not boxing).

Mayweather isn't the type of boxer who appeals to the older crowd, but to the 18-25 crowd. He's young, charismatic, and appeals to the "hip hop" type crowd.

I guess because you never heard of him, means he has no wide-spread appeal right? :bonk: :bonk:

That's not what I'm saying, but I really don't think he has wide-spread mainstream fame. And I'm in the 18-25 demographic... The point I was trying to make is that he isn't on the same level of fame as Mike Tyson. Tyson is/was a household name with most people who've never even seen a boxing match. I doubt the same can be said about Mayweather, at this point anyway.

For those wondering, the Mayweather angle made ESPN via Jim Rome's Final Burn segment in which he rants about Mayweather needing to focus on what matters, boxing, and not (paraphrased) "Jumping off the turnbuckles onto Triple H or anyone else".

I could be off base here because I was a youngster during Tyson's heyday and have never closely followed boxing, but to me, saying "Tyson's a household name even to non-boxing fans" is the equivalent of saying "Everyone whose never watched a football game in their life knows who OJ Simpson is!" or "Even people who hate basketball have heard of Dennis Rodman".

Anyone whos ever read the sport page or watch ESPN has heard of him, but he has no mainstream appeal because Celtic Jobber and some geek at about.com that looks like a 40 year old virgin hasn't heard of him...

I could be off base here because I was a youngster during Tyson's heyday, but to me, saying "Tyson's a household name even to non-boxing fans" is the equivalent of saying "Everyone whose never watched a football game in their life knows who OJ Simpson is!" or "Even people who hate basketball have heard of Dennis Rodman".

I know you're being sarcastic, but can you imagine the mainstream coverage Vince would've got with O.J. around the time of Wrestlemania XII? ;)

Anyone whos ever read the sport page or watch ESPN has heard of him, but he has no mainstream appeal because Celtic Jobber and some geek at about.com that looks like a 40 year old virgin hasn't heard of him...

I don't read the sports page or watch ESPN. I like wrestling because it's not a *real* sport, I hate sports.