TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DrVenkman PhD

WWE General Discussion - February 2008

The biggest problem with this entire Flair scenario is that he is being forced into it by Vince. If Flair simply came out and said he would retire the next time he lost a match and put the pressure on himself, then it would be one thing. But Vince dictating it makes it a bit unpleasant.

Oh, and why are people so obsess with Jeff Hardy (or Edge last year) winning MITB and cashing it in at the end of WM? It's just such a lame, WM IX type of situation and it really doesn't make any sense at all. Jeff or anyone else would go through hell to get the briefcase and likely would be more banged up than the WWE champion, who just wrestled a standard match. In storyline terms it makes no sense to cash in a MITB when you surely aren't 100%.

Yes, but in "Wrestlemania's main event is the biggest moment of your career" terms, cashing in MITB at the end of Wrestlemania assures that you'll have 'main-evented' the biggest show of them all, on the off chance you aren't fortunate enough to win the Rumble or go into the show as champion in the future. Many have held the championship, but that number's huge compared to the number of guys that can say they main evented Wrestlemania, cheap MITB cash-in or not.

It's gotta suck to require surgery when you're job was supposed to be sitting in an office writing.

It's a worked injury.

Why would they work a manager's knee injury?

source: Wrestling Observer Newsletter

-- The Great Khali's translator/manager, Ranjin Singh, is going to be off television indefinitely. Singh was "injured" this past Sunday at No Way Out. According to an article on WWE.com, Singh sustained a fractured patella after he was kicked from the entrance of the Elimination Chamber to the ground by Undertaker at No Way Out. According to the article. Singh also shattered his knee cap in three different places when he landed hard on the ground. According to the article, doctors say Singh will require surgery to repair the injury, and there is no timetable on when he'll be able to return. Singh is actually fine as this is just a storyline. No word yet if this was simply a way to write his character off of television.

I was thinking about the time when Orton had an injury before he came back and went to Smackdown to feud with Taker. He had his head shaved and looked much thinner than normal. Vince came out and took a shot at him for looking so thin. It's funny because he is looking EXACTLY like that now. He gets this Main event slot at Mania, but can you see the guy getting jobbed out pretty hard thereafter because he's so skinny again?

On the Jeff Hardy topic...and I am in no way a Hardy fan...

But this is just what I think...

WrestleMania, to me, is when that BIG moment in a guys career is SUPPOSED to happen. Now this years "Main Event" is Orton (who no one thinks should be champ...including the office who had to include their 2 top draws into the match), HHH (who's champion every time you blink) and Cena (who's held it for most of the last 3 years)

WHO CARES WHO WINS???

It's all the same.

Now where they screwed themselves was pretending that Hardy was going to get a push up to the top. PEOPLE BOUGHT IT. PEOPLE (not me...but at this point...yeah...me) WANT IT.

If Mania ends with Undertaker and Cena, HHH or Orton holding the titles...

We've seen literaly nothing. No history at the historic event. Nothing of note that will be remembered two months later. NOTHING.

Now if the red hot Hardy wins the title...

Then you've done something.

The biggest problem with this entire Flair scenario is that he is being forced into it by Vince. If Flair simply came out and said he would retire the next time he lost a match and put the pressure on himself, then it would be one thing. But Vince dictating it makes it a bit unpleasant.

Did they ever explain WHY Vince forced Flair into that situation? As far as I recall, he just came out and ruined Flair's moment, told him he'd have to retire next time he lost and walked off. No real reason. Was there any other explanation than that, or was it just 'Oh, that McMahon, he's such an asshole' and that's that?

Also, whatever happened to WrestleMania being the blow-off for a big, meaningful feud built up over a period of months? Are people really, STILL, suggesting that instead of a strongly built main-event title match that you put your money down on, they should end the show with an impromptu MITB title change? Sure, it'd be a big surprise. But that doesn't mean it'd be good. This isn't New Year's Revolution, it's Mania.

WrestleMania, to me, is when that BIG moment in a guys career is SUPPOSED to happen.

Count me in as one of the millions of Randy Orton fans who thinks he has what it takes to be champ. He is the top heel in wrestling right now and he deserves to have his big moment. As I've said before, he's had big moments, but he hasn't had his "WrestleMania moment"...yet.

If Jeff Hardy won, it would be forgotten about 2 months later.

It's time for Triple H to do the job for Orton.

Also, whatever happened to WrestleMania being the blow-off for a big, meaningful feud built up over a period of months? Are people really, STILL, suggesting that instead of a strongly built main-event title match that you put your money down on, they should end the show with an impromptu MITB title change? Sure, it'd be a big surprise. But that doesn't mean it'd be good. This isn't New Year's Revolution, it's Mania.

WWE doesn't start fresh feuds the night after Mania anyway. There are always WM rematches the next month. If Jeff surprised everyone he would just start up his feud with Orton again. Orton wins he continues to be chased by Cena and HHH. HHH wins he feuds with Orton and if Cena wins it's the same old crap.

IMO, there is nothing to look forward to regardless who walks out of Mania with the title.

Maybe Jeff should just win the MITB and cash in against Chavo? That way, people get their impromptu title change and no one really cares about a main event being ruined.

WrestleMania, to me, is when that BIG moment in a guys career is SUPPOSED to happen.

Count me in as one of the millions of Randy Orton fans who thinks he has what it takes to be champ. He is the top heel in wrestling right now and he deserves to have his big moment. As I've said before, he's had big moments, but he hasn't had his "WrestleMania moment"...yet.

If Jeff Hardy won, it would be forgotten about 2 months later.

It's time for Triple H to do the job for Orton.

I am a big fan of orton too. He has a lot of qualities of the old time heels I like. I think a lot of the criticism of him on the internet is a load of bullshit mostly. for example, people going on and on about him using headlocks. are you kidding me? If that is such a fucking crime then just about every wrestler of the 1980s was terrible because they had long headlock spots. But unlike those of the 80s, randy tries his best to actually make it look like he is really wrenching it.

the guy has done nothing but put people over and make them look good. He sells moves of others like he just got shot. His workrate imo is very good and the icing on the cake is he seems to stand up to certain elements backstage (hhh for example) that everyone claims to hate online. The man doesn't get nearly enough credit imho

But it's the ECW Title, so it won't mean shit if he wins it.

Excatly... Jeff needs to win a title on SD! or RAW or else the whole point of building him up is wasted.

As for the MITB concept... It's basically like the KOTR, where it helps establish wrestlers from the midcard/upper midcarder, into main event level status. MITB helped Edge greatly.

That's my whole point with the ECW title comment. People seem to want Jeff cashing in the MitB just for the novelty of an impromptu title change at the biggest event of the year even it means wrecking one of the two title match main events. Is the whole idea that Cena and HHH get so caught up with each other that Orton sneaks in a pinfall leading Hardy to get "revenge" on Orton (for what exactly? Losing when he had the shot at Rumble?) or Edge cheating to get a DQ lost to UT leading to Jeff doing the "right thing" and giving Edge a taste of his own medicine?

I'd much rather see Jeff win the MitB and either build to the HHH/Hardy rematch at 'Slam or see Edge spend months paranoid that Jeff will do to him what he has done to others. Both would offer better long term success then a pop at WM that does nothing in the long run.

Edit: Does Hardy need to win MitB? Couldn't he realistically put himself back in place to be a #1 contender in the summer? Would having a guy like Benjamin win the MitB do more to elevate someone?

Yeah I see your point... Me personally I'd rather see Jeff Hardy win the title off JBL. I feel JBL is the perfect heel to get faces over... JBL is a big part of the reason why John Cena is a legit main eventer right now IMO.

Yeah I see your point... Me personally I'd rather see Jeff Hardy win the title off JBL. I feel JBL is the perfect heel to get faces over... JBL is a big part of the reason why John Cena is a legit main eventer right now IMO.

I wouldn't have ever thought of JBL being the one to drop the title to Jeff (probably because I don't see JBL having the title again), but now that I think about it, JBL would be by far the best heel for Jeff to get his title win off of.

Even if he's clean, ex addicts have a tendancy to relapse. Like I said, I'm a big fan and hope he doesn't.. but since when has he been clean? Wasn't he fired from the WWE for drugs, then went to TNA? Did he clean up while in TNA? I never heard anything about him going to rehab, so I guess he just quit taking drugs one day. Now he's back to his hectic scheadule in WWE...

I wish him the best, but it wouldn't surprise me.

Jeff was suspended just a few months ago for failing a drug test. However, now that Jeff has gotten himself to a new level, they could give him the Orton treatment and ignore it.

Excatly... Jeff needs to win a title on SD! or RAW or else the whole point of building him up is wasted.

As for the MITB concept... It's basically like the KOTR, where it helps establish wrestlers from the midcard/upper midcarder, into main event level status. MITB helped Edge greatly.

And who else? RVD and Kennedy were both a bust.

That is arguable, but if it is agreed they were busts, it was most certainly to outside circumstances. RVD cashing in at the ECW show was perfect and gave him good momentum. He would be considereda bust only due to the drug bust. Kennedy was primed to step it up and the injury screwed it all up.

Kennedy losing the MitB via injury was probably the best thing to happen for all parties involved. It got Edge away from Raw where he should have never been in the first place and re-established his (pardon the wording) edge that was lost in the process of months spent with Orton. Kennedy was kept away from main event programs after the past year showed that Kennedy wasn't ready.

The MitB aspect of RVD's character wasn't a bust. That all went well. It was what occured after that that was the problem.

Jeff was suspended just a few months ago for failing a drug test. However, now that Jeff has gotten himself to a new level, they could give him the Orton treatment and ignore it.

Was it a drug test? All I ever heard was "unprofessional behavior".

That is arguable, but if it is agreed they were busts, it was most certainly to outside circumstances. RVD cashing in at the ECW show was perfect and gave him good momentum. He would be considereda bust only due to the drug bust. Kennedy was primed to step it up and the injury screwed it all up.

I think RVD's MITB/title reign, was done more too give ONS a buyrate boost and help jump off the ECW brand. I doubt WWE really had big plans for RVD, the drug bust was just the perfect reason to get the title off of him, and make a WWE guy the face of ECW. It would of have eventually happened like that anyway, and Rob would still have ended up leaving. Kennedy on the other hand, was a terrible choice. He might've became a major player if the injury didn't happen, but he still would've eventually got busted for steroids, not to mention making a fool of himself on Nancy Grace. So Batista would've still been champ and feuding with Khali most of the summer. Which means Edge would have probably been fed to a returning Triple H ( seeing as he avoided that program like the plague, but got lucky because Kennedy got hurt, and moved to Smackdown) He probably would've asked for a release after jobbing to Trips, which was implied a lot during the time.