TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DrVenkman PhD

WWE General Discussion - February 2008

Holy crap! King Of Trios, FTW!

http://www.wwe.com/inside/industrynews/6547354

Makes up for them pulling Colin. This is all really bizarre.

It's even wackier to see they're not just lazily feeding the news, they're actually re-doing it. This is the original link for that story:

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2008...ower-of-threes/

I can understand posting news about small promotions like ROH or international promotions, because they're in no way serious competition to WWE, but when you see news about Congress being disappointed at Vince McMahon for not showing up to the steroids hearings....that's unreal to say the least.

I don't see this feature lasting for long. If it does stays, it will be heavily filtered/censored.

There's nothing to filter or censor - the stories aren't from a feed, they're retyped by WWE.com staff and credited to the website they took it from. That means someone actually decided a story about Congress going after WWE was something worth typing up on WWE.com.

"A WWE spokesman, Gary Davis, replied to the statement, saying that Terry’s comment on wrestlers was a stereotype, and that WWE tests their stars throughout the year for their own well-being, as there is little need for an edge in fixed competition."

Kayfabe, Gary, kayfabe!

I have a hard time believing that someone is sitting there typing these out. Why the hell would you pay someone to do that when there are tons of automated tools out there to do it for free.

Feeds don't have to be lists that take you to other sites.. they can be multi-layered and you can apply templates to them as well.

There's nothing to filter or censor - the stories aren't from a feed, they're retyped by WWE.com staff and credited to the website they took it from. That means someone actually decided a story about Congress going after WWE was something worth typing up on WWE.com.

"A WWE spokesman, Gary Davis, replied to the statement, saying that Terry’s comment on wrestlers was a stereotype, and that WWE tests their stars throughout the year for their own well-being, as there is little need for an edge in fixed competition."

Kayfabe, Gary, kayfabe!

Copeland to MMA ;)

And it isn't like any of the companies they're "advertising" are a threat. Only one of them has a TV deal and anyone fishing around on WWE's website beyond the basic articles is probably already aware of the alternative options anyway.

They're probably trying to bankrupt the paysites - make all the sites that rip-off the paysites more popular, thus drawing away eyes and subscriptions when everybody paying for the news realizes they can get it for free. Pay sites go out of business and then then the sites the wwe is linking have no news to report and they disappear as well.

Obviously they want to hurt the pay sites because that's money and website hits that could be going to WWE. I really like this. Let's put it this way, I'm more likely now to check out wwe.com on a daily basis than I was yesterday. Just to see what industry news they are reporting. I imagine there are more people like me. I think they realized that there is an internet wrestling audience that doesn't give a rat's ass about their site and this is their way of addressing that.

WWE, being the recognized leaders in the industry, should want the overall industry to be healthy. The last boom period for the industry was because everything in the business - WWF, WCW, ECW - were all doing well and all had their own fans. I'm not saying that WWE promoting TNA is a great idea but if TNA was doing a 2.5 on Spike, instead of low 1's, that's more leverage for WWE when doing network deals. Even though it's not one of their brands it shows cable execs that wrestling has an audience and if the second-rate promotion is drawing that, what ratings will the big dog bring? The business looks healthy when indies, TNA, ROH, MMA, UFC, etc. are all drawing, getting good ratings and interest on PPV.

It will be interesting to see if they post TNA tv taping spoilers. That may actually help TNA's ratings more than hurt them.

This could also help non-WWE talent get some recognition and leverage in trying to get a deal with WWE. My uncle and I were talking about this the other day. Back in the old territory days, with the Apter wrestling mags, you would read about stars from other territories and there was actually some anticipation of when they may show up in WWF. If you read the magazines, you knew who Randy Savage and Rick Rude were before they debuted in WWF. This could be the same type of deal. Where a person reads about Nigel McGuinness and knows their reputation when they debut in WWE.

Now, they need to have some audio or video content targeted at the internet audience. It would be great if they had JR do an audio show, similar to the pay site hotline reports, where he and guests discuss the same things that he writes about in his blog, take live calls and occassionally get critical of the product.

I would think WWE's just covering their ass. When folks think wrestling, they think WWE, for better or worse. With this "Industry News" section, WWE have suddenly flashed a spot light on the indies. Now WWE can say "Hey, we're not the only wrestling group out there!" when Congress gets on their ass. Take some of the heat off of themselves and have it put on someone else. I mean, how many Senators or Representatives do you think even know much, if anything about TNA? Or ROH or any of the indy promotions out there?

The section is still pretty cool though.

So, I was on the way to a RAW house show today when I noticed a limo in the ghetto side of town which you can turn into on the way to the Show Me Center. However I arrived to the Show Me Center before the limo did, and come to find out, the limo belonged to WWE Heavyweight Champion, The Legend Killer, Randy Orton. Randy Orton was riding in da hood, home boi

So, I was on the way to a RAW house show today when I noticed a limo in the ghetto side of town which you can turn into on the way to the Show Me Center. However I arrived to the Show Me Center before the limo did, and come to find out, the limo belonged to WWE Heavyweight Champion, The Legend Killer, Randy Orton. Randy Orton was riding in da hood, home boi

I'm sure Randy was getting some of the Kush.