TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DrVenkman PhD

WWE 24/7 Discussion - March 2008

see, that's my biggest problem there, the time frame. I just don't think that style gives you very good 30 minute matches. The pacing is usually shit, the psychology is all over the map. Guys like them should go for about 10 minutes and then wrap it up.

Again, I haven't seen it, so my opinion doesn't hold a whole lot of water, that's just my general take on long matches featuring guys who focus mostly on insane high spots.

I did notice watching it there weren't really any rest spots, which is good for action but I have no idea what story that match told for 30 minutes other than two guys fighting for a title. We get a double dose this month too because Flash Funk vs. Sabu is on the June 23rd Raw, but that's a much shorter, condensed spotfest.

I thought the match was quite overrated myself. (It was on the Rise and Fall dvd, IIRC.) Generally it's difficult to judge ECW matches from the television shows since the matches are often clipped.

If it IS on the DVD I must never have watched it or totally forgot about it in 3+ years. As this is the only match on ECW this week I believe, outside of a commercial break, it aired in its entirety.

Wow, it is on the DVD. Maybe that's why some of the spots seemed familiar (which would imply my "totally forgot" line from above is not entirely accurate)... I thought maybe I just recognized them from video montages.

I never saw the Undertaker vs Giant Gonzales before watching the 15-0 feature (on a side note, it feels weird to hear faux-Solid Snake narrating Taker's streak), I've read all these reports that this was a -***** match and the worst Wrestlemania match of all-time. While I didn't expected to see a great match, it's not nearly as bad as people made it out to be. It's still a bad match, but you can see far worse on any random jobber matches on the house show programs.

Compared to any Undertaker vs Khali confrontations, or nearly all of Khali's matches for that matter, this was Savage/Steamboat. The match had good heat and Gonzales actually knew what he was doing in the ring. He was faster, showed more charisma and was more entertaining in that match more that I've seen in Khali since he debuted. Khali dreams he could work like El Gigante.

I didn't even knew that Bill Alfonso, the best part of the ECW shows, was the referee for that match. Besides, I can't hate any match featuring the use of an ether-soaked rag :P

I finally re-subscribed to WWE 24/7 tonight, could someone fill me in on what I've missed in terms of the programs that follow continuity like MNW, NWA, Prime Time, etc...

I finally re-subscribed to WWE 24/7 tonight, could someone fill me in on what I've missed in terms of the programs that follow continuity like MNW, NWA, Prime Time, etc...

When did you unsubscribe?

When did you unsubscribe?

well Inisight switched to Comcast where I lived the in January and I noticed stuff was missing left and right, then when they added stuff it was charging stuff at 3.99 a show, even for the Shorties

so I just basically said to heck with this and unsubscribed, so I've missed roughly 2 months of stuff

Fonzie was Gonzalez's handler in WCW as well. I remember he wrote a column in one of the wrestling magazines (PWI or WOW or something) about five years back about being Gonzalez's handler.

And Gonzalez is just terrible. One of the worst wrestlers I've seen. I don't know if it was his condition or something else, but he was very weak for a guy of his size. And what's the use for a 7'7'' wrestler if he can't throw people around?

I was settling in to watch the MSG show tonight now that everything is on my system and working, but it turns out it's really the Houston show added early.

Anyone have a full match listing for the Houston show? I think the one of the History of WWE site is incomplete.

Yeah I noticed it didn't have a result or time for Hart Foundation vs. Strike Force so I'll get to be surprised (though I often skim these quick enough that I forget results anyway). It's also 2.5 hours which doesn't seem to add up from the card on Graham's site. I'm starting my Mania countdown this weekend but I'll post a card when I do watch the show.

It's a bit harder every year with the added 4 hours and a lot of years I make good use of the FF button... one year I even counted the WM2000 bonus DVD as watching Manias 1-15. Before I had my HDTV I would FF a lot but now if I try and use the SLP VHS tapes that were released as the Mania Collection, my TV says "No Source" and won't show them. This causes me to watch them on the TV in the computer room and not pay attention to the lesser editions / matches.

I dunno about this Gonzalez superiority over Khali. UT vs. Khali in the Last Man Standing match on SD a while back was a shockingly good match I thought. And we've seen Khali have some passable matches with Cena. I can't think of ANY semblance of a decent Gonzalez match.

That said, the WM IX match with UT isn't as bad as reputed. Just one more mediocre match on a bottom tier WM.

I dunno about this Gonzalez superiority over Khali. UT vs. Khali in the Last Man Standing match on SD a while back was a shockingly good match I thought. And we've seen Khali have some passable matches with Cena. I can't think of ANY semblance of a decent Gonzalez match.

That said, the WM IX match with UT isn't as bad as reputed. Just one more mediocre match on a bottom tier WM.

Yeah, at least Khali has bulk and mass to go along with his size. Gonzalez was just a lanky ex-basketball player.

Looks like 24/7 Online is doing the "Build to WrestleMania" theme instead of the "here's a bunch of Mania matches!" theme they usually do. So far their entire line-up on the March to Mania contains ZERO WrestleMania matches, just build-up. I love it.

Raw: Episode 20

June 7, 1993 | Approx. run time: 38 mins.

The first ever King's Court on Monday Night Raw highlights this episode as Jerry "The King" Lawler has Yokozuna and Mr. Fuji as his guests. With The King of the Ring only six days away, will Yokozuna have any final words for WWE Champion Hulk Hogan? Also, there's a new Intercontinental Champion and he's in action on this edition of Raw. Finally, Mr. McMahon will conduct an in-ring interview with Razor Ramon who's still a little ticked off over his loss to the 1-2-3 Kid. What will the Bad Guy have to say? Find the answers to these questions and many others on this episode of Raw.

Raw: Episode 21

June 14, 1993 | Approx. run time: 43 mins.

It's the night after the King of the Ring and there are tons of questions to be answered. Was Hulk Hogan able to defeat the giant Yokozuna? Who was crowned the 1993 King of the Ring? Will the 1-2-3 Kid finally answer Razor Ramon's challenge? Also, catch Mr. Perfect, Owen Hart, and Jerry Lawler in action along with Marty Jannetty taking on Doink the Clown! This is certainly a Raw not to be missed.

History of the Intercontinental Title: Part IX

March 1, 2008 | Approx. run time: 44 mins.

Mr. Perfect claimed he was the most perfect Intercontinental Champion ever. However, was this truly the case? On this edition of History of the Intercontinental Title we look at some of Perfect's earliest title defenses against Tito Santana and The Texas Tornado, "Kerry Von Erich." Rarely seen matches from Madison Square Garden, Saturday Night's Main Event, and WWE Superstars are featured. Plus, what role does The Million Dollar Man, Ted DiBiase play with the Intercontinental Title? You'll have to catch this edition to find out.

Introducing: John Bradshaw Layfield - WWE Debut

January 27, 1996 | Approx. run time: 8 mins.

Hear from JBL himself why he believes his debut in the WWE is the most successful in sports-entertainment history. Love him or hate him, one has to recognize that it truly does take a talented individual to have a wrestling debut 12 years ago and still be an active wrestler on the WWE roster today. For one of the first times ever, re-live the debut of JBL as he went by the name Justin "Hawk" Bradshaw.

Bonus Features: Exclusive Interview with John Bradshaw Layfield.

The Main Event: Randy Savage & Hulk Hogan vs. Twin Towers

February 3, 1989 | Approx. run time: 24 mins.

What exactly caused the Mega-Powers to explode? This shocking revelation led to the main event of WrestleMania V. Now, 24/7 Online goes back to The Main Event when Hulk Hogan and Randy Savage took on The Twin Towers. Was Miss Elizabeth's ringside presence a factor for the breakup between these two best friends? You'll have to check out this classic match to see for yourself.

No Way Out: Shawn Michaels & John Cena vs. Undertaker & Batista

February 18, 2007 | Approx. run time: 32 mins.

The main events for WrestleMania 23 were set months in advance with Shawn Michaels challenging John Cena and The Undertaker challenging Batista. Mr. McMahon came up with the concept that both WrestleMania main events would team up to take on each other at No Way Out. Tensions were building and mind games were played among all four Superstars, so it was almost a given that someone would turn on the other. Find out who does the unthinkable when four of the biggest WWE Superstars do battle at No Way Out.

Saturday Night Main Event: Trish Stratus & Mickie James vs. Candice & Victoria

March 18, 2006 | Approx. run time: 7 mins.

Mickie James loved hanging out around Trish Stratus...a lot. In fact, their friendship became Mickie's obsession. However, after Trish tried to cut Mickie out of her life, they reluctantly teamed up on Saturday Night's Main Event. Could they overcome the awkwardness between them and defeat the duo of Candice Michelle and Victoria? One thing is for sure, you won't believe how this match ends as it takes Trish and Mickie down the road to one of the most classic diva matches at WrestleMania.

No Way Out: Randy Orton vs. Rey Mysterio

February 19, 2006 | Approx. run time: 23 mins.

Randy Orton wanted to go to the main event of WrestleMania so badly he'd do anything to get Rey Mysterio to put his WrestleMania title opportunity on the line at No Way Out. That included bringing Eddie Guerrero's name into their rivalry. Rey, defending the Guerrero name, was determined to defeat Randy Orton. Would he be able to complete this task? Find out in this classic match.

Wrestling Challenge: Piper's Pit

February 7, 1987 | Approx. run time: 4 mins.

WrestleMania III will always be remembered as being the night Hulk Hogan body-slammed Andre the Giant. However, what led up to this gigantic match-up? Would you believe all the drama began on Piper's Pit? Roddy Piper was certainly known for being part of some of the most controversial moments in WWE history, and this one certainly won't disappoint.

Raw: Batista & Triple H, In-ring Face-off

March 28, 2005 | Approx. run time: 15 mins.

Six days before the World Heavyweight Championship match at WrestleMania 21, Batista and Triple H had a face-to-face confrontation overseen by Eric Bischoff. Both had a strong hatred toward each other, but this was the final opportunity for either Superstar to truly tell how they felt. The censors had their fingers on the bleep button for this one as you won't believe what both Superstars had to say to each other in this explosive Raw moment!

Allegedly, Ric Flair carried El Gigante to some pretty good matches (in the *** range) during their house show series in '91. But since I don't think any of those were taped, that's all based on hearsay.

It wouldn't surprise me though if Flair did drag a good match out of the lug. Flair circa '91 could have carried me to a *** match.

Here is a rant I wrote for the June 7th Monday Night Raw on WWE 24-7 Online.

Monday Night Raw-June 7, 1993 WWE 24-7 Online Rant

Monday Night Raw, June 7, 1993

-Annoucers: Vince McMahon, Bobby Heenan and Randy Savage

-Kickoff by announcing Shawn Michaels as the new Intercontinental Champion. He comes down the aisle with Diesel.

-Shawn Michaels says that it is not safe to watch Raw with him on top, especially with his "Insurance Policy."

-Interesting tag team match tonight as Rick Steiner and Billy Gunn take Fatu of the Headshrinkers and I.R.S. They actually had quite a few of those inter-tag team matches around this time.

-Shawn Michaels (w/Diesel) Vs. Ross Greenberg: Shawn Michaels starts by working his arm, which goes into a series of bodyslams. Ross Greenberg gets surprise small package, but only gets a one count. Michaels retaliates by punching Greenberg into the corner. Michaels with a supeplex, and Vince McMahon reminds us that the King of the Ring is this Sunday night, only on Pay-Per View. Michaels bodyslams Greenberg onto Michaels knee, and puts him into a headlock. Still to come tonight, Adam Bomb Vs. El Matador, never knew they fought. Michaels continues to pound on Greenberg, and connects with an eblow off of the middle rope. Michales with a piledriver, pin, and a three count. Fun old school jobber beatdown, *3/4. After the match Michaels yells at McMahon, because he feels that it is rude that he has to defend his newly regained Intercontinental Title against Crush this Sunday night. Very strange for 1993, because he seems to be yelling directly at McMahon, almost recognizing that McMahon is the owner of the company.

El Matador Tito Santana Vs. Adam Bomb (w/ Johnny Polo): They exchange arm bars to start. Tito Santana then gains the early edge as he continues to work on Bomb's arm. Adam Bomb returns with a series of punches. A bodyslam by Bomb, but he misses an elbow, and another one. Santana goes right back to Bomb's arm. An arm drag by Santana to keep the pressure on. He goes back to the arm to add some more pressure. Bomb begins to pound on Santana and send him from post to post. Bomb with a sideslam, and both men exchange a good amount of punches. Santana hits with the pattenant flying forearm, goes for the cover, but only gets a two count. Santana with a dropkick, does not affect Bomb. Bomb takes over, and then jumps from the apron over the ropes and clotheslines Santana, as he is in mid-air, he goes for the cover. Santana did a good job putting Bomb over as a newcomer, **1/4.

Tatanka Vs. Peter Weekes: Tatanka goes right to the arm, very El Matador-esque, I might add. Peter Weekes reverses and hits with a chop. Tatanka is able to reverse that and he chops him. The crowd start the "OHOHOH" chop chant. Tatanka is back in control as he sends Weekes to the outside. Back in, and Tatanka still delivering the chops. Weekes with a chop and a punch. I wanted to give a Bronx Cheer when he finally punched, rather than chopped him. Tatanka with more chops, just cannot get enough, these two guys chest will be bright red after this one. Tatanka on the top rope, comes down and hits with a big chop. He goes for the cover, and gets the three count. A chop fest, *1/4.

Kings Court with Jerry Lawler: Who has to go to the bathroom? This would be my normal break, but since I am doing this, I will hang in there. He begins by ripping on Randy Savage and Vince McMahon, typical Lawler jokes. He procedes to make jokes about New York City. His guest this, however, is Yokozuna. We go to a commercial break, isn't this basically a glorified commercial break? We're back, and the girls are out to give Yokozuna flowers. I wonder what their job description was. Yokozuna enter the Court with Mr. Fuji. Crowd chants "Hogan" and Lawler gets very upset, he should be happy they are even paying attention. Typical "Five Hundred Fitty Pounds" promo from Mr. Fuji. Lawler asks Yokozuna what he has to say to Hulk Hogan, and he responds with "Hogan, you're going down." What build up, no, I actually thought Hogan was going to win, stupid mark.

Billy Gunn and Rick Steiner (w/ Bart Gunn and Scott Steiner) Vs. Fatu and I.R.S. (w/ Samu, Afa and Ted Dibiase): IRWIN! IRWIN! Samu and Afa are eating WW_ Ice Cream Bar. Randy Savage wishes The Fink and some random lady in Houston a happy bar. It is a Randy Savage ice cream bar, I actually liked getting a Bret Hart ice cream bar personally, stupid mark. Fatu and Bart Gunn start, and Gunn kicks things off with a drop toe hold. He keeps the momentum as he gives Fatu a breakbreaker. Rick Steiner in and he works on Fatu as he sends him to the corner, but, catches an elbow. I.R.S. in, and he sends Rick Steiner to the outside. He comes back in, and we go to a commercial break. I.R.S. attempts to hit Rick Steiner and accidentally catches Fatu. During the break Ted Dibiase had to prevent a near confrontation between I.R.S. and the Headshrinkers by dishing out some dough to the Somoans. I.R.S. and Rick Steiner are the legal men, and Rick Steiner with a head lock, but I.R.S. is actually able to get two near falls. I.R.S. throws Rick Steiner out of the ring, but Scott Steiner tosses him back in. He throws him out again, and this time Dibiase and the Headshrinkers beat down on him. Scott Steiner is able to make the save, and send his Rick Steiner back in where he is greeted with a series of double team moves by I.R.S. Bart Gunn tries to help Rick Steiner, but he just distracts the referee which allows more double team moves. Rick Steiner finally tags in Bart Gunn, and he clears his. Howver, I.R.S. clotheslines him from behind, goes for the pin, and the gets the three count. Too many people all over the place, but still a cool concept. *1/4.

Next Week: Marty Jannetty Vs. Doink the Clown, there goes that push for Jannetty, plus Jerry Lawler in action.

Vince McMahon interviews Razor Ramon, and the crowd chants "1-2-3," which is more of a crowd response than Sean Wauldman ever got as X-Pac. Razor Ramon announces he will face the "Stick Man," 1-2-3 next week, and will give the kid $7,500. Vince McMahon then informs him that he only got 7 % of the vote in the crowds prediction for who will the King of the Ring Quarterfinal Match between him and Bret Hart on Sunday. Ramon comments on the location of the event, and he claims that it is perfect that he is at the Nutter Center, because when it is all said and done all Bret Hart will be is a "Nutter loser, a Nutter hase been, and a Nutter grease spot on the mat." That is all the time we have, do not forget King of the Ring on Sunday.

Bottom Line: Tons of build up for the King of the Ring, and not much else. Fun show, nonetheless.

Looks like 24/7 Online is doing the "Build to WrestleMania" theme instead of the "here's a bunch of Mania matches!" theme they usually do. So far their entire line-up on the March to Mania contains ZERO WrestleMania matches, just build-up. I love it.

Same here. Another solid lineup. I'll most likely check out the videos later this week or next as I don't want to burn through all the videos right away and leave me tapping my toe waiting for the 15th.

The one theme I hope they leave alone is April's Hall of Fame month but we'll see how it goes.

I'm watching Mania 1 right now - funny to hear the theme I now associate with Prime Time Wrestling thanks to 24/7 being used to sell a program, t-shirt, and hat. I love this uncut boxset (copyright right on music be damned!) and it will suck when the day comes these tapes fall apart. I should convert them to DVD or something.

I'd forgotten how good Taker-Orton was from Wrestlemania 21. I'll have to check out the rest of the shorties, especially with my Anthology collection in storage.

I don't recall seeing either on the list here, but Taker-Flair from 18 and Shamrock-Rock from 14 are my two sleeper faves.

I'd forgotten how good Taker-Orton was from Wrestlemania 21. I'll have to check out the rest of the shorties, especially with my Anthology collection in storage.

I don't recall seeing either on the list here, but Taker-Flair from 18 and Shamrock-Rock from 14 are my two sleeper faves.

The Taker/Orton WM match was quite good with both guys busting their asses off. Even more impressive considering Orton had to go in for shoulder surgery later that week and wrestled at less than 100%.

Guest bp2007

Same here. Another solid lineup. I'll most likely check out the videos later this week or next as I don't want to burn through all the videos right away and leave me tapping my toe waiting for the 15th.

The one theme I hope they leave alone is April's Hall of Fame month but we'll see how it goes.

Great selection so far. Another solid History of the Intercontinental Title too. I'm interested to see what they have to offer for the second half. I too also hope there's no WM matches offered then. I've seen all of those 1000 times.

20464515si9.jpg

Should have held out until today, Nate! $25 value!

And seriously WWE.com, you time to add that promotional offer advertisement but not realize the February theme has been over for days now? I want to know what's coming in April, damnit!

Guest shadylpete

Pick your Big One result for March was Wrestlemania VIII (which was my pick!) The events for April are:

AWA SuperClash

WCW Fall Brawl ’00

WWE Bad Blood ’03

I've already seen Bad Blood '03 & I'm not willing to see a WCW PPV from the Russo Era, so my vote goes to SuperClash. The April theme isn't up yet though.

That Fall Brawl show is actually pretty good. Definitely the best of the Russo WCW era (granted that's not saying much). There's a surprisingly good Goldberg-Scott Steiner match, a fun six man tag between Three Count and The M.I.A., a fun match between The Filthy Animals and The Natural Born Thrillers, and Kevin Nash actually putting over Booker T cleanly.

There's a lot of crap on there (Jeff Jarrett el kabonging Gary Coleman, Vampiro Vs Sting crap, typical Russo stuff) but it's probably the best choice of the bunch.