TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DrVenkman PhD

WWE 24/7 Discussion - March 2008

20464515si9.jpg

Should have held out until today, Nate! $25 value!

And seriously WWE.com, you time to add that promotional offer advertisement but not realize the February theme has been over for days now? I want to know what's coming in April, damnit!

lol i dont think it would have matter Venkman, I had 24/7 previously before I dropped it for a couple months, I would like to know the April theme myself, I DEMAND A WCW THEME :P

and on the HOF piece about Bret, there's a clear view of *you know who* during Bret's speech

Was it the thought of Jeff Jarrett whacking Arnold Drummond over the head with a guitar that got your vote?

Actually, Paul Orndorff returning. The rest is like a cherry on top.

Theme for next month is...

APRIL 2008: WILD KINGDOM

Get ready for an adventure as you enter WWE 24/7’s Wild Kingdom. All April, relive the careers of the toughest “animals” ever to step into the ring and revisit memorable matches featuring all kinds of untamed creatures.

LEGENDS

WWE Hall of Fame: Ernie Ladd – Known as “The Big Cat”, Ernie Ladd stalked the top Superstars in wrestling throughout three decades. Relive Ladd’s incredible career, from early days as professional football star in the AFL to WWE battles with Bruno Sammartino, Andre the Giant and Gorilla Monsoon. Includes classic interviews, a visit to Ladd’s hometown in Louisiana and highlights from Ladd’s 1995 Hall of Fame Induction.

Jake “The Snake” Roberts: Pick Your Poison – The career of Jake Roberts in one of the most tumultuous in wrestling history. Follow “The Snake” on his chaotic path, from a difficult childhood through success in the Territories to Superstardom in the WWE. Features candid interviews and details rivalries versus Ricky Steamboat, the Honky Tonk Man, the Ultimate Warrior, Jerry “The King” Lawler and many more.

THE BIG ONES

WWE In Your House: Mind Games – Huge night of action from ’96 features Shawn Michaels defending the WWE Championship versus the deranged Mankind. The Undertaker takes on the bizarre Goldust in a Curtain Call Match. The British Bulldog and Owen Hart challenge the Smokin’ Gunns for the WWE Tag Team Title and much more.

WCW Wrestle War ’90 – “The Nature Boy” Ric Flair defends the WCW World Championship versus Lex Luger. The Steiner Brothers battle Ole and Arn Anderson for the World Tag Team Title. Road Warriors Animal and Hawk face the Skyscrapers in a Chicago Street Fight. All-time rivals square off when The Rock ‘n’ Roll Express faces the Midnight Express. Cactus Jack is in action and much more.

TV CLASSICS

The Film Room with Gordon Solie – Debut episode highlights the career of Jack Brisco through rare film culled from the Championship Wrestling from Florida library. Relive incredible action featuring the NWA World Heavyweight Champion, including battles versus Dory Funk, Jr. and Johnny Valentine. See classic Tag Team action with the Brisco Brothers. Hosted by Jim Ross.

History of ECW – (2) New episodes as Tazz and Joey Styles continue to chronicle the Evolution of Extreme. Unbelievable “Hardcore TV” action includes Cactus Jack’s last ECW match, Chris Jericho vs. Tazz and Rey Mysterio vs. Juventud Guerrera.

The Monday Night War – WWE and WCW continue the battle for sports entertainment supremacy on (2) new episodes hosted by Michael Cole. On Raw, Stone Cold Steve Austin continues his personal war with the Hart Foundation. How will this affect the Texas Rattlesnake when he faces Triple H? In addition, a tournament kicks-off to crown new WWE Tag Team Champions. On Nitro, tensions continue to rise between Hollywood Hogan’s nWo and the stars of WCW. Exciting action includes Rey Mysterio versus Kevin Nash, Dean Malenko battling Eddie Guerrero and Public Enemy taking on Harlem Heat.

SHORTIES

WWE’s “Glamazon” Beth Phoenix guides you on an adventure inside WWE 24/7’s Wild Kingdom to discover some of the craziest sports entertainment moments featuring members of the animal kingdom. See what happens when Jake “The Snake” Roberts targets “Macho Man” Randy Savage, Triple H battles in a Hog Pen, the British Bulldog’s mascot Matilda gets dog-napped, “Gorgeous” Jimmy Garvin is forced to work on the Von Erich farm and much more

WrestleWar '90 is something to see. Trust me.

Guest shadylpete

I've never seen the Jake Roberts DVD or Mind Games or Wrestle War, so i'm happy with next month's lineup

I've never seen the Jake Roberts DVD or Mind Games or Wrestle War, so i'm happy with next month's lineup

The Jake DVD is pretty damn good.

Just watching the SNME that set up Wrestlemania II. Good show. Ventura's got a pretty politically incorrect line during the T/Orton match. When Piper is whipping T with his belt, Jesse says it looks like Roots 2.

"See what happens when Jake “The Snake” Roberts targets “Macho Man” Randy Savage,"

SOLD. Oh and WrestleWar 90 is good too, I like it when WCW PPVs I've never seen are offered. As I mentioned before, my favourite Raw airs next month. I watched the Roberts piece on my computer when it first came out and since I generally don't like doing that I probably skipped a lot of it. I recall it being interesting and I'm looking forward to watching it on TV but I also remember Meltzer reviewing it in the WON, talking about how much BS was coming from Jake.

I might have to talk my girlfriend into subscribing since her cable system gets 24/7. (She lives half an hour from me and I can't get it. What a crock of shit.) I want me a copy of Wrestle War 90.

"See what happens when Jake “The Snake” Roberts targets “Macho Man” Randy Savage,"

SOLD. Oh and WrestleWar 90 is good too, I like it when WCW PPVs I've never seen are offered. As I mentioned before, my favourite Raw airs next month. I watched the Roberts piece on my computer when it first came out and since I generally don't like doing that I probably skipped a lot of it. I recall it being interesting and I'm looking forward to watching it on TV but I also remember Meltzer reviewing it in the WON, talking about how much BS was coming from Jake.

Wrestlewar 90 was the first NWA PPV I got to watch. Borrowed it from a friend.

Was watching World Championship Wrestling the other day. I thought it was funny how the end of the Dusty/Tully match totally ripped off the end of the Savage/Santana IC title match. The Dusty/Tully match was only a few weeks after Tito and Savage so they have no excuse.

Wrestlewar '90 holds a special place for me because I got interested in wrestling between that PPV and Starrcade '89 two months before.

April looks to be a pretty good month... wasn't Mind Games the PPV that ECW initially "crashed"?

That it was. I've seen the main event a lot since 2001 (when it was on Foley's 1st DVD, after 5 years of hearing about it but never being able to see it) but never the show in full. I don't think it's a very good show outside of that match but I'm sure Gunns vs. Owen/Bulldog is ok. Goldust / Taker might be ok too, but my first thought always goes to a match Goldust had (and now I can't remember if it was against Taker or Warrior) in the spring where they did NOTHING for 10 minutes because Goldust was actually injured. Either way, I enjoy seeing full shows for the first time.

I'm watching the 87 Texas show now thanks to Cogeco's screw-up. Pete "Duke of Dorchester" Doherty is the absolute worst I have heard on commentary (and he's the colour man to Pritchard and McGuirk...). I'm not even one match in and his grating heel commentary, sounding like a cross between Gilbert Gotfried and the talking germ from Musinex commercials, is annoying.

Hercules vs. JYD is the 2nd match on this show (listed as 6th on HotWWE). Now Pete's commentary is becoming so annoying it's getting funny.

The show has interesting production compared to most Old School shows - they show a picture of a ring to open it, presumably since they have no exterior shot of the arena. The crowd is dark (listed as "2,000+" but I don't know what the Sam Houston Coliseum's capacity was) and the shots seem tighter and more in the ring than your 1985 Boston shows. I assume they didn't often film from this location, so it's interesting to be able to see a house show from this location.

Demolition vs. The cousin team of Brady Boone and Billy Jack Haynes is pretty dull but the crowd pops for a hot tag near the end of the match and it picks up a bit. Rick Rude is in the ring now for his match with Paul Orndorff as match #4 so I'm not sure where this Greg Valentine vs Ken Johnson match listed as match 2 fits in yet. Rude's plain red tights are very generic, especially for him (just a minor note obviously) but so far these guys are having a good match.

Since there's no result listed for Rude / Orndorff,

Rude wins by blocking a sunset flip and holding the ropes - making it the second heel win by using the ropes in just 4 matches

. Beefcake vs. One Man Gang is up now and is not listed on Cawthon's site, so there you go landy. Doherty cracks me up by saying "World Wide Wrestling Federation" despite it now being almost 1988.

Wow, Beefcake does a clean job (mostly - Slick was on the apron and he did the idiot face move of going to beat him up) to an elbow drop. I don't THINK I've seen post-Dream Team Beefcake take a pin before, he usually wins or it's a no contest or something screwy, but I really only have Manias 4-6 to base that on.

. Now it's time for Hart Foundation vs. Strike Force! This is what I came to see.

Doherty's awfulness (and heel bias) goes to a whole new level during this match. I almost thought we were going to see Bret Hart lost by submission in some historic lost result,

but eventually Neidhart managed to hit Martel with a tag strap at the same time Tito turned the referee around to see it happen

. Match was good, but not as good as I thought it might have been.

Here's another unlisted match for you, landy: Ron Bass vs. Ricky Steamboat (who Doherty calls Ricky "The Steamboat" Dragon). After that match, we get to the not quite 2nd match (but shouldn't be this high up the card) match of Valentine vs. Johnson.

I'm noticing now the cameramen are wearing "Hulkamania" shirts as opposed to camera crew shirts.

Ok so Hogan vs. DiBiase was about what I thought - DiBiase bumping around and Hogan looking strong as ever, but it's a fun formula when Hogan has a good opponent like Ted or Mr. Perfect. You know the drill.

Anyway, as per landy's request, the full card and order. If someone else does a review of this show when it is actually supposed to be available (I'm assuming King will), give Cawthon the match times.

Sam Houston vs. Dusty Wolfe

Hercules vs. JYD

Demolition vs. Brady Boone and Billy Jack Haynes

Rick Rude vs. Paul Orndorff

One Man Gang vs. Brutus Beefcake

World Wrestling Federation Tag Team Champions Strike Force vs. Hart Foundation

Ultimate Warrior vs. Iron Mike Sharpe

Ricky Steamboat vs. Ron Bass

Greg Valentine vs. Kenny Johnson

World Wrestling Federation Champion Hulk Hogan vs. Ted DiBiase.

Who the hell is Kenny Johnson?

And Mind Games is a pedestrian show outside of the main event. The only other decent match on that card was a fun strap match between Savio Vega and Justin Hawk Bradshaw. I guess Bulldog and Owen/Smoking Gunns is OK too but it's nothing to write about (Probably in the ** range). And you've got the awfulness of Mark Henry's in-ring debut and a shirtless Jose Lothario.

The Film Room with Gordon Solie – Debut episode highlights the career of Jack Brisco through rare film culled from the Championship Wrestling from Florida library. Relive incredible action featuring the NWA World Heavyweight Champion, including battles versus Dory Funk, Jr. and Johnny Valentine. See classic Tag Team action with the Brisco Brothers. Hosted by Jim Ross.

Will this be a fixture in the TV Classics section? I'm really looking forward to this.

Did they cut out Ultimate Warrior vs. Iron Mike Sharpe then? And what was the result of Bass/Steamboat? Thanks.

Sorry, my mistake. I forgot to mention Warrior vs. Sharpe, it's in there now.

Steamboat won with a running crossbody

I'm kind of annoyed they are showing WrestleMania X8 this Wednesday and WrestleMania IX two weeks later. I wanted to watch a digitally restored version of IX as part of my Mania Countdown, but I can't wait until 5 days away from Mania 24 and then find time to watch 14 more Mania shows. I'm actually watching WM V right now and I never noticed that during the opener, Heenan gives Donald Trump a thumbs up and Trump gives Bobby a positive reaction. I'm at Twin Towers vs. Rockers right now (a Shortie later this month with the "lost classics" theme) and while this is quite the enjoyable big team vs. high flyers match, the REAL underrated match is Rockers vs. Barbarian and Haku at Mania VII. I look forward to Mania VII every year and that opener is one of the reasons.

Will this be a fixture in the TV Classics section? I'm really looking forward to this.

Since it's hosted by Ross but called "The Film Room with Gordon Solie, I wonder if this is something CWF put together back in the day.

It also makes me wonder if this is a subtle nod that Gordon might be going into the Hall of Fame this year.

It might be the archived film footage that some of the Florida shows would have with Solie and one of the involved wrestlers doing after the fact commentary pieced together as program hosted by Ross. Google doesn't seem to have heard of "The Film Room with Gordon Solie".

Let us just pretend I'm commenting on last March's airing of WrestleMania V since this is off topic but really amused me: Everytime I've watched this show, I've FF'd right past Run DMC. I stopped the FFing a bit early this go and caught Monsoon state "well a little of that went a long way with me". I can't believe I never heard that - so awesome, Gorilla just saying whatever he wants.

Going back to WrestleWar '90, the more I look at the situation regarding that PPV, the more I'm convinced WCW/NWA dropped the ball by not having The Great Muta stay a little bit longer.

I know the original plan was Sting vs. Flair in the main event, and it would have been killer, especially considering the turn the Horsemen executed on Sting during the Clash of Champions where he injured his knee. Still, putting a freshly turned Lex Luger in that spot at that point wasn't the right thing to do. Go back and watch the 6 man match between The Horsemen and the remaining members of J-Tex from the same clash. Muta was getting insane reactions from the crowd, partially due to the Horsemen's turn and partially due to Muta just being awesome and the crowd recognizing that even though he was supposed to be a heel. I also know Muta had given his notice before all this had happened, but who's to say his mind couldn't be changed?

I wish the story would have gone like this:

Sting gets injured, and the Horsemen brag about how Flair is going to win the match by default. Sting says he gets to name his replacement, and who does he pick but the one man who has recently taken him to the limit - The Great Muta. Muta proceeds to hit the ring, destroy The Horsemen, and then he mists Flair to recapture the killer heat he lost during his job-out session at Starrcade '89.

They then go to the PPV... Muta and Flair put on an easy 4 star+ match... Sting still plays the role of the adviser, much like he did for Luger in the match (And to be the mouthpiece due to the fact Muta remains silent). The match ends with Flair retaining due to the Horsemen (They could have used the angle where they were threatening Sting), and Muta is free to go back to Japan.

At the same time, Lex Luger is beginning a subtle face turn that culminates at Capitol Combat in the cage. That match remains the same, and things begin to get set in motion for Sting/Flair at GAB '90.

The overall problem I had with Luger being in both main events is that everyone knew it was just a place-holder until Sting got better. If they had two different main events against Flair, the reactions might have been different.

Muta was probably under contract to New Japan and WCW had limited use of him. Muta won Battlebowl '92 and the TV and NWA World Titles, so WCW certainly knew they had a hit on their hands.

Muta was probably under contract to New Japan and WCW had limited use of him. Muta won Battlebowl '92 and the TV and NWA World Titles, so WCW certainly knew they had a hit on their hands.

I agree... I just wish they would have worked something out to extend his stay just a couple of weeks so he could have worked the main event of WrestleWar.

If someone else does a review of this show when it is actually supposed to be available (I'm assuming King will), give Cawthon the match times.

Will do.

I don't know..I remember when Muta returned in '92, and while they ran promos for him and stuff, it doesn't seem like he was as "big of a deal" as his first run, at least from what I remember.

And it was just sad anytime he returned to WCW in the late 90s and early '00s. That Dark Carnival stable with him, Vampiro, The Demon, and The Insane Clown Posse was just embarrassing.

But that's neither here nor there really.

I don't know..I remember when Muta returned in '92, and while they ran promos for him and stuff, it doesn't seem like he was as "big of a deal" as his first run, at least from what I remember.

He wasn't as a big deal in '92 as he was in '89. During 1989, he was the #2 heel in the company (Behind Terry Funk), and he was still getting face-like reactions from the crowd every time he'd pull out the handspring elbow, moonsault, or mist.

just watched the snme. I was rolling on the floor when Fuji was shown backstage, he was holding the ice pack over his hat, which he hadn't taken off. I never knew there was an angle with Fuji and Heenan being in cohoots with the Bundy attack on Hogan.

Great commentray by Jesse during the Hogan match. I love him pointing out to Mcmahon all the times Hogan cheats blatanly and gets away with it. He starts off all happy, then suddenly gets hushed "I believe he is unconcious" He seemed to be selling the seriousness of the angle, while he is happy to see Hogan hurt, he seems to realize he could be hurt very badly and kinda subconciously feels a bit bad.

The tag match was also good. All in all, a fun show.