TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DrVenkman PhD

WWE 24/7 Discussion - March 2008

I am so going to record that WresleWar PPV. I am trying to check out all the old school WCW PPVs I can find since there's really nowhere else where they are available (unless you wanna pay through the nose on ebay).

watchin the SNME prior to WM 2, and I believe this was where the infamous Hulk Hogan music video debuted

Yeah, they also played it on a TNT episode (2nd last one before Mania 2, I believe). I have it on DVD - it's an Easter Egg on Hulk Still Rules - but it was still awesome seeing it on 24/7.

my first thought always goes to a match Goldust had (and now I can't remember if it was against Taker or Warrior) in the spring where they did NOTHING for 10 minutes because Goldust was actually injured.

That was Good Friends, Better Enemies. I recall Warrior confiscating Marleena's cigar (and maybe even director's chair) and smoking it in the ring. Also, for some reason I also seem to recall a hat being involved (not to be confused with the Lawler's "Baseballcapgate"), and some of Goldust's intimidation on the outside being his "rubs chest/breathes in" thing.

For those that don't have WWE 24/7 Online, here is the History of the IC Title Part IX lineup:

Mr Perfect vs Tito Santana (SNME 7/90)

Mr Perfect vs Kerry Von Erich (SummerSlam 1990)

Kerry Von Erich vs Mr Perfect (MSG 10/90)

Brother Love Show w/ Dustin Rhodes (SuperStars 12/8/90, JIP)

Kerry Von Erich vs Mr Perfect (SuperStars 12/15/90)

The Shamrock promo on the new MNW is so awful.

I agree... although I did like when Shamrock started to "snap", especially after his match with the British Bulldog at Summerslam '97.

Where does that Dustin Rhodes segment fit in? Was he being groomed as Mr. Perfect's next challenger?

It was in the middle of the Rhodes/DiBiase feud. DiBiase butted in and tried to get Rhodes to be his servant. When Rhodes turned him down, DiBiase and Virgil attacked and the soon-to-be former IC Champ Kerry Von Erich made the save.

The next week, DiBiase bought his way as the special guest ring announcer for the Tornado/Perfect title match.

In a blink or you'll miss it moment, watch for Teddy Long on the newest NWA episode. As Arn Anderson is about to start his match against Mike Jackson, Pee Wee Anderson hands the TV title belt to Long, who is at ringside.

Also, the press conference for the Crockett Cup is very interesting from a historical perspective considering Bill Watts is a part of it.

The RAW before X-8 is hilarously bad. They blur our Stephanie's ass-crack.

As much as I liked the Rock/Hogan match, I haven't watched it since the original PPV. I heard that on the WWE DVD they altered the crowd noise to make it look like the Rock and Hogan got equal cheers. Anyone who saw that PPV live knows that the crowd was completely pro-Hogan until the very end.

Urban legend (maybe, as there could have been SOME altering but not enough to care). The crowd is still amazingly pro Hogan on the DVD (which I assume is the version on 24/7). I said eons ago in the WWE folder the biggest change to that match was a different camera angle on a People's Elbow (I remembered the PPV one not landing very well) but someone - maybe even bob - said I was mistaken. Mania XX is the one with altered crowd responses for Lesnar / Goldberg, but even that is only toned down (plus the original crowd audio is available on the Spanish track).

Going by pictures on WWE.com, I think next week's Hart vs. Hennig update is going to be from Uncensored 98 (which also explains why they called him Hennig and not Mr. Perfect). Not their best of course, but it's something different and different can be good.

Then again, WWE.com also has a picture of the 6 man tag from Mania XII and I don't know what that has to do with anything scheduled for this month.

When I thought "Front Leg Back Kick" was the most convoluted wrestling move I've ever heard (what is it anyway? A kick to the back?), Bill Mercer takes the head position with calling Michael Hayes' neckbreaker a "Spinning rolling suplex sidedrop" right after he called Buddy Roberts' neckbreaker a "rolling head drop". I understand the "rolling head drop", but the other one doesn't make any sense.

Anybody noticed that the footage where The Great Kabuki yields his sword on the bridge, he seems to be in a Darth Vader costume ? Now there a license-to-print-money gimmick if there ever was one.

Then again, WWE.com also has a picture of the 6 man tag from Mania XII and I don't know what that has to do with anything scheduled for this month.

I guess you missed it, but the Sunflower website says that match is one of the Shorties beginning next week.

Should have remembered that since I type up the schedule here - thanks for pointing that out.

I watched Nitro last night (but ended up being too tired to finish Raw - I also have the shows labeled in reverse but that's fine), it was a pretty interesting show. After the nWo seemed totally boring around Spring Stampede, I guess due to Hogan being gone and in-fighting angles that went nowhere - they seemed "cool" again on this show and I can see why people were still into them. I enjoyed the big promo with Hall and Savage against DDP (DDP: "You couldn't get the job done last night on your own" Hall: "You did the job"). I was surprised at how dull Jericho vs. Ultimo was until the finishing sequence and even more surprised (though not really) that they jobbed Jericho clean while advertising his big CW title bout coming up on WCW SN.

Raw was pretty bizarre. Not a great show but some fun nostalgia - it's funny how somethings I remember clear as day upon getting a visual reminder (the crappy missed uppercut finish to Neidhart / Goldust, LOD holding Shamrock and Austin apart) but other things had me scratching my head.

* Goldust getting The Bulldog's music after his match was pretty funny.

* I remember in 1997 I thought the USWA vs. ECW match was a big deal and was looking forward to it airing on 24/7. Now that I saw it... wow, that was pretty dull. I think what I remembered was Heyman's "shoot" about the Lawler family while he was on commentary.

* Bobby Fulton and his awesomely awful tights vs. Tommy Rogers: What in God's name was THIS doing on Fed TV? Pretty cool to see the Unprettier though.

* In my memory, the ending to the main event was totally different. I thought

Ahmed turned on Taker and gave him the PRP, setting up a pin. Instead Kama pins Taker... CLEAN? Wow.

. It was also a bit funny when I thought Faarooq said "Col. Mustafa".

Back to Nitro for a minute, if what I've heard is true and the "magic camera recording locker room conversations" was a Vince Russo invention, I give him credit on that one. I know these segments on Nitro where Gene Okerlund interviews people are a regular part of Nitro, but damn does it seem kind of stupid to have Ric Flair and Roddy Piper do a 2 minute segment in the entrance aisle just so Flair can say "I was brawling with Syxx backstage". That sort of things seems like it would be much more effective if the viewer sees Piper confront Flair backstage and Flair explains himself.

The NWA weekly show was incredibly good this week. The crowd was insanely hot and the wrestlers seemed to turn things up a notch as a result.

Jim Cornette's commentary during the Midnight Express match was classic. Hearing his interviews week after week is always a highlight of that show. Also great is how the Midnight Express toy with the team they face.

* I remember in 1997 I thought the USWA vs. ECW match was a big deal and was looking forward to it airing on 24/7. Now that I saw it... wow, that was pretty dull. I think what I remembered was Heyman's "shoot" about the Lawler family while he was on commentary.

Did they play Dreamer going crazy in the Memphis studio? I also remember a big brawl between Dutch Mantell/Dreamer/Lawler that went all over the studio with Kids almost getting crushed. And Dreamer gives James Beard one of the best piledrivers ever.

Watched the Bret/Flair title match for the first time. I know both of them didn't like it but I thought it was a good match. Flair was having the inner ear problem at the time and he was slow and methodical in the match. If he were healthy, I think it could have been five stars but it was still pretty damn good.

Dusty really did have an ego back then...think about it. He won the World Title from Flair at Starrcade 85, only to have to return it on a technically. Before that, he only lost the TV title because of an injury and Arn Anderson never defeated him for it. Later in 86, he lost the National title in a screwjob to Tully Blanchard. It's one thing to lose one title questionably. But Dusty loses three different titles questionably over a five-month span. Ego run amok there.

Should he have just jobbed clean to all those guys? I personally don't mind a top face being screwed out of a belt as much as a top face jobbing clean.

I remember seeing the Dreamer/USWA stuff in Memphis at the time and thought it was truly strange. This was in the dying days of the USWA right before the screwed up sale by Lawler and Co. to some dudes from Cleveland that weren't really solvent.

Should he have just jobbed clean to all those guys? I personally don't mind a top face being screwed out of a belt as much as a top face jobbing clean.

I remember seeing the Dreamer/USWA stuff in Memphis at the time and thought it was truly strange. This was in the dying days of the USWA right before the screwed up sale by Lawler and Co. to some dudes from Cleveland that weren't really solvent.

I'm not saying he should job clean to all those guys. But I have a problem when three guys hold onto his titles by bullshit means over the space of five months. It makes them all look bad. You should throw some kind of bone to them. Rhodes was also incapable of doing a clean job to Flair.

It's a Catch 22, it really is. On one hand if you job the face clean you run the risk of fans not believing in him anymore (Sting had this problem in the 1990s at times). On the other hand the heels eventually wear out their welcome big time if they constantly cheat to win with no repercussions. This happened to the NWA by 1988, also happened to WCW by 1999 with the NWO.

This is a separate issue, but I think the NWA's problem in the 80s was that Flair was the last of the travelling world champions in an era of promotions consolidating their power and going national. The sort of booking that works well with a travelling champ (namely cheating like a mofo or retaining via time limit or other BS reasons) is stuff that works fine on a regional level, but is it really something you can get over with a national audience and a unified promotion?

Anyway, the Raw on right now is hilariously weird. I didn't remember half of this stuff. Tommy Rogers vs. Bobby Fulton on Raw in 1997? WTF? I didn't really remember RVD making all these Raw appearances, but he and Lawler were actually a team in the tag tourney. This stuff was counterproductive to ECW though. While wildly entertaining and different it just made the guys involved look bush league to mess around with Lawler in a midcard angle on Raw.

Oh, and what was up with the finish to that main event? Kama just pinned UT clean in the center. Huh?? Since Ahmed was doing the obvious heel turn why not just have him turn on UT, then Kama gets the win, then the new Nation celebrates? The way it came off UT just looked like a bitch that lost to a returning JTTS.

The story they were going with was that Ahmed refused to tag UT so he just got beaten up too bad and then got hit with a cool looking finisher in my opinion. However, I do agree that should've had Ahmed turn on him and then have Kama pin him.

Id like to request something if I can. If anyone is subscribed to WWE 24/7 online, would you be able to post the episode of Raw that they are offering this month? There is a nice closeup of me right after the Kings Court with Yoko and I havent seen it in years. TIA.

It's weird. 1997 was Taker's prime year and he was in a lot of great matches and got a good run with the title. But he jobbed a ton of times. I think Charles Wright (Kama aka The Godfather) was a buddy of his so maybe that's why he got the clean pin.

Can we agree the Ahmed heel turn basically killed his career? He went from feuding with the Nation for a year to then joining the group and doing a goofy heel turn, and then got hurt on top of it so that when he came back they had moved on and he was further screwed. Of course he was injury prone and sloppy, but that heel turn was the catalyst for the downward spiral.