TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Enigma

John Cena calls out the The Rock for leaving wrestling

I would imagine that this is the consensus opinion within WWE. There's got to be some harsh feelings considering that he's a guy who owes his career to them, and here they are having to pander to him by inducting his relatives into their "Hall of Fame" just to get him to show up at any of their events.

If Cena ever achieves non-wrestling mainstream success, I'd love to hear the new tune he'll be singing...

He has.. once he gets this 2nd movie out, he'll be everywhere.

Maybe Cena is questioning Rock's work ethic? I'm sure you all know Cena was out on the road for 2 weeks at a time when he was plugging the album, doing press for WWE, and doing house shows/Raw. Maybe Cena feels like if he can push himself to do all the extra stuff outside the ring and still show up for every show, Rock could've done the same thing.

:(

I think all the money he made from when he headlined has given enough back to the business.

Plus, the guy came back in 2003 and 2004 when he really had no reason to. He's an actor now, not a wrestler.

Well that's the other thing - where does Cena define "contribute" as wrestle? Maybe he just wants Rock to show up and bury active wrestlers by putting them down in a comedy skit? One time a wrestler commented to me that he felt Bret Hart could have done more to help the Canadian indy scene - as this was 2005 he obviously wasn't expecting him to wrestle.

Well, considering Hart had a stroke obviously he's not going to be expected to wrestle. The Rock? Not so much..

Maybe if you read between the lines of what Cena is saying, it is just him wishing out loud that The Rock come back once in awhile. Can't say I'd blame him if that were the case.

Which was the point I was trying to make... I think it's just a guy speaking passionately about what he wishes. Unfortunatley the way he worded it (if that's all he was trying to say) was poor.

I have always been in the camp of those that think he should give back to the business. For me it would be enough for him to show up at a Wrestlemania here and there just to give a quick promo, show up at a Raw when they are in Los Angeles if he isn't filming, or even being one of those interviewed on someone else's dvd.

There's no point, or pay-off, to these types of appearances.

Some of you guys are unbelievable...

It's almost as if you would expect The Rock to work a match whenever the WWE wants him too...and if he didn't he'd be an asshole who doesn't appriciate the fans or the company...

He's given enough of his life to the WWE...let him live the rest of his life the way he wants to. He has a family...he's moved on.

WWE can have jilted lover syndrome all they want. The best thing for most of these guys is if they can find a job that allows them not to get hurt three times a week and get paid more then they should take it and never look back.

The wrestling business is a backstabbing circus and the only thing the Rock owes them is not a damn thing. They made just as much off of him as he did off of them, possibly more. To me, he already gave back to the fans and the business can kiss his ass.

You have to see that Rock is in a no-win situation, though. If he doesn't come back, he's seen as ungrateful. If he comes back and it's publicized, he's stigmatized because public opinion of wrestling is probably close to an all-time low. Best thing for him and his career is to stay away. He made it out, good for him.

The Rock should only return if he puts someone over, and it should be contractually stipulated that Triple H can't have anything to do with him for at least three years.

I think the biggest difference is that the Rock does not want to be associated with wrestling anymore. All the other examples you guys names still associate themselves with the business that made them famous.

Jordan - Used to be President of Team

Brown - Still works with the NFL

etc

etc

Except WWE feels they made him. That's why they want gratitude. I'm not taking any sides right now, but that's probably what WWE feels.

Exactly. It's not like playing for the Hurricanes could have gotten him a shot at being a movie star.

Should Rock start his own promotion? He doesn't denounce the business. He'll talk about it and respectfully say his time in the business is over and that acting is his focus.

Why doesn't WWE complain about Stacy Keibler? If it werent for WWE, she never would have gotten the gig with DWTS and became a B/C list sitcom/soap actress. It's the same principle. Stacy and Rock got a break thanks to WWE and left to pursue other jobs (though with a obvious degree of status).

Cena is talking as a fan in that article, and that's the way a lot of fans feel. There is nothing wrong with fans wanting The Rock to come back and wrestle another match or two just like their is nothing wrong with him focusing on becoming a full-fledged hollywood a-list star. If I remember correctly he wanted to come back for Wrestlemania 21 to wrestle Sting, but WWE wasn't willing to go that route.

Should Rock start his own promotion? He doesn't denounce the business. He'll talk about it and respectfully say his time in the business is over and that acting is his focus.

Why doesn't WWE complain about Stacy Keibler? If it werent for WWE, she never would have gotten the gig with DWTS and became a B/C list sitcom/soap actress. It's the same principle. Stacy and Rock got a break thanks to WWE and left to pursue other jobs (though with a obvious degree of status).

It's the same way with alot of people, but not many, if any, were as popular as The Rock.

Didn't the WWE let the Rock's contract quietly expire a few years ago due to WWE's oversight?

Anyway, the Rock is the fucking Rock. He can call his own shots. He's done more than enough for the business, he's already given back. He's jobbed to pretty much everyone and a lot of his title reigns were transitional reigns.

If I remember correctly he wanted to come back for Wrestlemania 21 to wrestle Sting, but WWE wasn't willing to go that route.

One of the other ideas floated for Rock that WM was to do a short-term World title switch with JBL; Rock would win at WM then drop it back to JBL the following Smackdown.

As much as I'd mark out like crazy if he were to come back again, it's just not worth it in the long run. Him coming back for "one more match" just doesn't matter, especially at Wrestlemania, as if he were to wrestle there he just shouldn't lose. And yes, I know there is a difference between "putting someone over" and "losing" but the Rock, much like the Undertaker at this point, just shouldn't be losing at Wrestlemania (if the Rock was actually to wrestle there). Hell, I'd go so far as to say if Rock was to come back for one more (no matter the venue) that he just shouldn't lose....and that doesn't do anything for the business.

Now, if he was going to come back and put in two or three more years, then he could lose (maybe not his first match back, but here and there as storylines go). There is no reason for the Rock to come back, at least, not in the "one more match" sort of way. I'd even argue there would be no reason for Rock to come back for a few years either, as he is just, well...he's above it.

The Rock doesn't owe anybody anything, but I think he could still show up a little more often than he does (like, once or twice a year maybe?). I don't think his schedule is so unbelievably busy that he can't push aside a Monday or two every every year to make an appearance.

Except WWE feels they made him. That's why they want gratitude. I'm not taking any sides right now, but that's probably what WWE feels.

He is part of the reason the company is public and stayed making money even when Austin missed a year. McMahon made way more off The Rock than vice versa. Never forget that. The Rock's contract is over. He made it out of wrestling without fused vertebrae in his neck. He made it out without having to use steroids long term. He is 36 years old. When you are saying the Rock needs to come back and owes WWE and all of that bullshit, think about your favorite wrestlers that are no longer around. Think about Mick Foley who will die young and gave his health to wrestling coming out to crickets nowadays. Think about Flair period. Let the man retire.

The Rock shouldn't appear.. and he doesn't owe the WWE a god damn thing.

Cena makes me sick... I wonder what his tune would be if he was in Rock's shoes?? Or any wrestler criticizing his decision? I mean how many wrestlers can say they presented at the Academy Awards??

Yes, what John Cena said is sickening.

He just feels that if The Rock really did love wrestling he wouldn't leave the way he did (not that there's anything wrong with that), so Cena seems upset that The Rock seems disingenuous about the whole loving the business thing.

He should do whatever he wants to do.

I'll give him credit for staying away. He's moved on, and doesn't tease the fans that he might come back. He also doesn't go the Stone Cold route and put himself over active wrestlers.

I don't really think he owes them anything, either. He went out of his way to try and put guys over, and look what happens. The political backstabbing and such that goes on was clearly annoying him, and I can't blame him a bit. Plus, look at the shape guys are in that stay in wrestling for long periods of time. Austin, for one.

The Rock is the smartest guy in wrestling, because he got out of it with his health and fame intact.