TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Enigma

John Cena calls out the The Rock for leaving wrestling

Good lord... if people think Cena gets booed now, just imagine that crowd reaction if he had an encounter with The Rock.

The Rock got out on top and went on to bigger and better things. It's obvious that some resent this (Not just Cena). No matter how much "they love" the business, there isn't a wrestler out there that wouldn't want to trade places with The Rock right now. I mean how many former wrestlers can say they were a presenter at the Academy Awards?

That's not true... if somebody loves the wrestling business and wants to be a wrestler, and has a spot working for the WWE and love what they're doing, why would they leave to make movies? Not everyone cares about more money.. and unless you love the film industry, why would you care about presenting or even getting an oscar?

Being in movies isn't necessarily a better job than being a professional wrestler. They're two different professions and it depends on what you want to do with your life. Being an actor isn't "bigger and better things" than being a wrestler. They're two different things, one is not better than the other. I disagree 100% that any wrestler would trade places with the Rock. I mean, how many people who've presented Academy Awards can say they've won the WWE title? See, works both ways.

Also,

Wrestlers who take steroids claiming it's for 'testosterone replacement therapy' - "Maybe somebody who's become anaemic, or is terminally ill, is the only person who I would suggest needs that. I don't buy or believe any of that.

"Any time somebody is busted in our system it's a 30 day suspension. You know what it should be? Call the authorities and have somebody f***ing go to jail."

I found that quote much more interesting.

I also find it interesting, albeit for different reasons, that Cena is calling out the man that basically allowed the 5 Knuckle Shuffle to get over. If it wasn't for The Rock being able to turn a simple elbow drop into one of the most anticipated moves in his matches, Cena would have never been able to do a similar manuever.

Good lord... if people think Cena gets booed now, just imagine that crowd reaction if he had an encounter with The Rock.

The Rock got out on top and went on to bigger and better things. It's obvious that some resent this (Not just Cena). No matter how much "they love" the business, there isn't a wrestler out there that wouldn't want to trade places with The Rock right now. I mean how many former wrestlers can say they were a presenter at the Academy Awards?

That's not true... if somebody loves the wrestling business and wants to be a wrestler, and has a spot working for the WWE and love what they're doing, why would they leave to make movies? Not everyone cares about more money.. and unless you love the film industry, why would you care about presenting or even getting an oscar?

Being in movies isn't necessarily a better job than being a professional wrestler. They're two different professions and it depends on what you want to do with your life. Being an actor isn't "bigger and better things" than being a wrestler. They're two different things, one is not better than the other. I disagree 100% that any wrestler would trade places with the Rock. I mean, how many people who've presented Academy Awards can say they've won the WWE title? See, works both ways.

You also need to take Rock's personal life into consideration. He has children...a family...maybe he wants to spend more time with them and make sure they don't grow up with a father who is always on the road. The Rock has simply moved on....I don't understand why retiring from wrestling is any different than retiring from something else.

Rock has put in his time...someday someone might say the same thing about Cena. When Cena has a family and other outside endeavors, he'll know that it's not such an easy decision to come back to wrestling.

I know, I wasn't saying that The Rock was wrong for moving on to film making, or that it made him love wrestling any less. All I was saying is, some people love wrestling and thats what they want to do with their lives. Being in movies isn't "better" than being a wrestler, and all wrestlers wouldnt jump at the chance to be in movies. Is it that hard for people to fathom that some wrestlers might actually WANT to be a WRESTLER? Why's everyone seem to think that they'd all be movie stars if they could.

................................................................................

.................................................................................

.................................................................................

I hate to sound like a broken record but The Rock doesn't owe anyone jack shit.

The guy had an excellent career in WWE that he's very proud of and his popularity shot him to superstardom in Hollywood. Some people are just upset that the guy actually moved on in great health unlike guys like Ric Flair, Hulk Hogan and Steve Austin who HAVE to make wrestling appearances just to keep themselves in the public eye when they couldn't succeed elsewhere. I hate to break it to you people but there IS life after wrestling.

He'll always put over the company that made him famous, what more could you want? It's not like he disowns it.

I know, I wasn't saying that The Rock was wrong for moving on to film making, or that it made him love wrestling any less. All I was saying is, some people love wrestling and thats what they want to do with their lives. Being in movies isn't "better" than being a wrestler, and all wrestlers wouldnt jump at the chance to be in movies. Is it that hard for people to fathom that some wrestlers might actually WANT to be a WRESTLER? Why's everyone seem to think that they'd all be movie stars if they could.

Because a lot of those people who want to be a wrestler at one point tend to get burned out eventually. For The Rock, he had an avenue to go down when he was ready to get out of wrestling. For some, though, they don't have that and are basically stuck.

Yes and for lots of those people, they still love wrestling and it's still what they enjoy doing with their lives. Do you really think HHH would jump into being a full time actor if he was given the chance? I think he loves wrestling and would choose to remain a wrestler.

What Anklelock? That's not a reply. Tell me how I'm wrong. They're two completely different things. Wrestling is going out in front of a live audience and putting on a match. Being in movies is being filmed, and doing multiple takes of each line out of sequence, then waiting to see what the director and editor do with it. Making movies isn't necessarily a step up from being a wrestler.. It all depends on the individual and what they want to do.

Yes and for lots of those people, they still love wrestling and it's still what they enjoy doing with their lives. Do you really think HHH would jump into being a full time actor if he was given the chance? I think he loves wrestling and would choose to remain a wrestler.

He also has the tiny little benefit of getting whatever angles he wants, getting whatever push he wants, and getting to go over anyone he wants.

Thats not the point. The point is, some people enjoy being wrestlers. Some people dream of it all their life. Some people enjoy it throughout their whole careers, and would never want to be anything else.

I don't even know what I'm arguing anymore, because it has nothing to do with The Rock. Oh yeah, I remember.. Just because The Rock chose that he would rather do movies at this point in his life, doesn't mean that all wrestlers would. Many wrestlers in fact, wouldn't. There's nothing wrong with either way. Just different people who want to do different things.

There, I said it as clear as possible, I know I'm right on that point, it's over.

I guess some people's line of thinking is that being a movie star is more prestigeous to the main stream than being a professional wrestler, you get payed more, and you don't have to injure your body while doing it, therefore all wrestlers would rather be actors.

Guest frostdude1

Cena's needs to shut the f*ck up and work on improving his own career rather than criticizing someone who has done more than he ever will.

My personal opinion of it has always been that it would not hurt for him to come back every now and again for something like a promo or appearance simply for the fans who miss him so much. He doesn't have to wrestle..in fact I wouldn't want him to. People care about the character more than seeing him wrestle.

I just felt like if I was in his shoes I would at least try and come around every once and a while for a promo or a skit just to say hello to the people who in part put him where he is at today, the fans. Not doing so sort of does come across as snobby in a little bit of way to me because even if I hated the business after I got out, I would think that if I was so popular and I knew that fans loved me to death, I'd do it for them. But that's just me.

Being a succesful actor is 10 times better than being a succesful wrestler.

As a selfish wrestling fan, there's nothing more I'd like to see than The Rock come back to wrestling, but I understand he's left that world behind. I know good and well he's never going to wrestle again. That's fine. But it doesn't make it any less irritating when he appears during a pre-taped commercial going "Hey RAW fans, come check out my latest movie, *insert movie here*!". Why couldn't he do that live? If he loves wrestling so much, why couldn't he have been bothered to show up during Raw XV? Hell, in the last three years, I've seen Shaq on Raw more times than The Rock. I just think there's something kinda wrong about that.

Thats like saying being a governer is better than being a police officer. Maybe for some people, but some like being a police officer better and would never even want to be a governer.

I give up.

Not really if you're a wrestler, you're a actor basically, just of the D-Level variety. If you have a chance to get a better job (which is a real acting gig), you'd probably be a dumbass not to take it.

Defending the state (Police Officer) and Running the state (Govenor) is not a great analogy in this situation. We're talking about guys pretending to fight.

No, if you're a wrestler you aren't a D level actor. They're TOTALLY DIFFERENT JOBS. Sure, when you're cutting a promo, maybe you're a D Level actor. But wrestling, putting a match together in front of a live crowd IS NOT LIKE READING LINES IN FRONT OF A CAMERA AT ALL! APPLES AND ORANGES, PEOPLE. There's alot more to wrestling a match than 'pretending to fight'.

No, if you're a wrestler you aren't a D level actor. They're TOTALLY DIFFERENT JOBS. Sure, when you're cutting a promo, maybe you're a D Level actor. But wrestling, putting a match together in front of a live crowd IS NOT LIKE READING LINES IN FRONT OF A CAMERA AT ALL! APPLES AND ORANGES, PEOPLE. There's alot more to wrestling a match than 'pretending to fight'.

No, not really. They're just acting.

Okay, you're right. I give up, and admit I am wrong. I must be, because everybody seems to disagree. Wrestlers are just wannabe actors. Haha, they wish. Suckers. They can never make it as big as The Rock and are all jelous that he made it to the next level of their acting career than they're at. They're stuck at level D! :P suckas.

It's all quite simple, actually.

Wrestling is a business (much like Hollywood), and wrestlers are essentialy freelance contractors. If they sign a contract, they must stay for the time they have signed on for, and when that time has expired, they are free to do as they please.

Have you ever had a really back breaking labor job where you work five days a week and just want to call it quits on the weekend? Well, wrestlers (at least the main eventers) get maybe 5-15 days off in an entire YEAR, not even counting promotional work.

Let's say you put in your time at said labor job, you do really well, and your boss and clients love you, yet your body can't handle the strain. You find a new job that pays better, and has a lot less to do with the toll it puts on your body and more to do on the way you do business and the way you market yourself. Anybody who worked shit jobs in college and got a nice office job later on can attest to this. You get this new job based on your past work experience and resume, and the new job allows more time off, better benefits, and in a nutshell your family life and overall quality of living improves. And best of all, you get to sleep 8 hours a night.

You a currently doing a gig for said new job, and your old boss calls you up and says "I know you are busy, but all of the old clients have been asking about you. Do you think you could set something up to take time off of your better job and come back to work for us for a few days? We could really use the additional revenue!"

That being said, The Rock doesn't owe the WWE a damn thing.

Cena is wrong

*End of Thread*

Thank you and good night!

Well, wrestlers (at least the main eventers) get maybe 5-15 days off in an entire YEAR, not even counting promotional work.

So you're saying they work 345-360 days a year? I think you're a little off on that number.

Has it come to anybody's mind that this is probably just Cena's / WWE's way of goading The Rock into working a comeback match to put either Cena / Orton / somebody else over since The Rock didn't do the job in his last match?

I'm not pining away for him to come back, and I don't refuse to see his movies in protest, but he's starting to come across as the family member or friend who pledges eternal love and admiration for you, yet never really sees you or calls you anymore unless there's something in it for him.

That's how I've always looked at it too.

I wish the Rock would've worded it better by saying "I can't thank the WWE enough for what they've done for me, but I have no intentions on ever coming back." instead of kissing up to fans by saying crap like "I miss you guys and I wish I could still be there blah blah blah"

Guest cheetoe

If Cena was wrestling in the WWF/E during '98-'02, he would have been nothing more than a mid-card guy. He should be happy Rock's not around... if he was he would have his spot. If he was smart he would realize Rock coming back would expose him.

Think about it, his character is based on Marky Mark... It's really kinda funny... when it's all said and done, his legacy is gonna be a fucking spinner belt. Rock was one of the most charismatic characters in wrestling history. He was a top face and a top heel when the main event was crowded with hall of fame talent like Stone Cold, Foley, HHH, and Undertaker. He was almost single handedly responsible for making Chris Jericho a legit main event wrestler in the WWF/E... Cena's the top guy during a period when there really arent any true greats at the top of the card other than Hunter. Notice that they keep Cena away from guys like Undertaker, the mixed responses he gets would turn into heavy boos, and he would be hard pressed to recover. They would have no choice but to turn him. He wouldn't be able to hold his own as a face. Shit, I doubt right now he could stay a strong face against Jeff Hardy. Cena/Undertaker is a big money match that should be main eventing a Wrestlemainia, but they can't do it and keep Cena in his spot as the top face in the company. He's a weak face, and even with the superman push, the fans turn on him at the drop of a dime.

Cena should be shining Rocks wrestling boots. He hasn't accomplished anywhere near what Rock has and until he does, he shouldn't be calling anyone out.

What I kind of get peeved about, and this is my Achilles heel, is that I've wanted to do this my whole life. Rock falls into that category. At one point he loved wrestling and wanted to do this his whole life.

The Rock never wanted to be a wrestler. When he failed at football he was "forced" into the business to make a living.

That's true. Alot of people forget that.

I'm not saying Rock hated being a wrestler, I'm just saying that although he enjoyed it, wrestling wasn't his ultimate goal. Cena is making the false assumption that anyone who enjoys being in the industry will somehow want to be involved in it for their entire lives.