TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Diamonddust

Smackdown Spoilers for 2/29/08

Report by Ben Nisbet and PWinsider.com

Smackdown:

# Big Show defeated two opponents. Show cuts a promo after, mentioning Mayweather's $20 million payday.

# Jimmy Yang & Shannon Moore defeated Deuce & Domino.

# Chuck Palumbo defeated Jamie Noble after the Full Throttle.

# They do a vignette setting up that Batista wants to face Umaga at Wrestlemania XXIV.

# Batista and Kane defeated Great Khali and MVP, Batista pinned Khali after a spear in a long match.

# Jesse & Festus defeated WWE Tag Team champions John Morrison & The Miz in a non-title bout.

# Balls Mahoney vs. Big Daddy V ends in a no contest when Undertaker comes out, chokeslams Mahoney and demands that Edge send his minions to the ring. Edge comes out with the Edgeheads.

# The Undertaker defeated Zakk Ryder with the chokeslam. After Smackdown went off the air, they did a deal where Batista, Undertaker and Kane all laid out Edge before he ran off. Edge cut a promo on the mic saying it would be over at Wrestlemania and left. Taker and Kane left together, leaving Batista to send the crowd home happy.

Guest dustinbeaverton

Is Mayweather worth $20 mil? If WrestleMania ells for $50, that means 40,000 people would have to buy it based solely on Mayweather. I know nothing about the boxing world, but does he have that many fans willing to pay to see him in a pro wrestling match?

Remember when Mahoney was getting over on ECW? That's probably my only major complaint about WWE right now. They don't let midcard acts get over and stay that way.

Is Mayweather worth $20 mil? If WrestleMania ells for $50, that means 40,000 people would have to buy it based solely on Mayweather. I know nothing about the boxing world, but does he have that many fans willing to pay to see him in a pro wrestling match?

It has been discussed ad nauseum in other threads, but Mayweather drew 2.4 million buys for his last PPV fight, so he's the biggest legit PPV draw in the world right now. Whether or not that translates into additional interest in Mania is anyone's guess.

By the way, it's unlikely that he's getting a straight $20 million payday. The package he was offered could probably be worth $20 million total, and is likely based on a percentage of the gate, merchandise and DVD sales.

Oh, and your math is off to a disgusting degree. At $50 a pop (BTW, Mania is actually $55/$70 - HD this year), he would have to generate an additional 400,000 buys. However, 50% of that figure goes to cable companies right off the top. So in actuality, it would take roughly 800,000 additional buys to pay him off, but that's before expenses.

I know WWE's been ignoring the US and IC titles for a while, but who else could MVP defend the US title against besides Matt Hardy?

Noble's still feuding with Palumbo, and Yang and Moore haven't been built up for US title shots as they're in tag matches.

I know WWE's been ignoring the US and IC titles for a while, but who else could MVP defend the US title against besides Matt Hardy?

CM Punk. Champion vs Champion (if they put the title on Punk at all). This would lead to Chavo getting a spot in MitB in any circumstance since ECW Title isn't presented as a world title anymore. WM needs a solid opener/mid-card wrestling match and Punk-MVP fits the bill. Everything else is either the main events or a spectacle match.

Seems like a Triangle Tag match is being built up towards

Miz/Morrison vs Dreamer/DeLoser (love that nickname) vs Jesse/Festus

Throw in Wang/Moore and you have the hated 4 corners tag match at WM.

the Raw tag belts obviously will be Holly/Rhodes vs Santino/Carlito if they bother.

That's a superfluous addition to the show. They'll just do a tag team battle royal for the pre-show. They already have 8 matches set with the probable addition of MVP/Punk or something involving the ECW title. 9 matches is an ideal amount. Sounds more like they are building to a predictable split between Miz and Morrison, which would be a idiotic thing.

Noble's still feuding with Palumbo, and Yang and Moore haven't been built up for US title shots as they're in tag matches.

Kane

Kane

Yeah, because thats a new and fresh feud...

Anyway, no MVP = No SD! this week for me.

Guest dustinbeaverton

Oh, and your math is off to a disgusting degree...

Yes. Yes, it was.

Kane

Yeah, because thats a new and fresh feud...

Anyway, no MVP = No SD! this week for me.

He was in a tag match, that has to count for something, right? I mean, with the likes of Batista, Kane, and Khali, maybe he will shine.

Here's another set from WO

Crowd is at least 80% hispanic, mostly people with little kids.

Dark match: Koslov over a jobber. I think there was only one dark match

here as they were late getting people into the arena.

-ECW-

After ECW goes off the air, the crowd keeps chanting Chavo sucks as Punk and

Chavo face off. Chavo is getting nuclear heat. CM Punk kicks Chavo, poses

with the belt and heads out to massive cheers. As Chavo gets up, the crowd

starts chanting Chavo sucks again. They are taking apart the ring and Chavo

is still getting booed and chanted at. So Chavo grabs the mic and cuts a

promo, including "I really expected a better reception from La Raza" This

really sets the crowd off. Great heat.

Smackdown:

Show opens with Big show squashing two jobbers. Show makes short work of

them to mixed cheers. Since running down Mayweather isn't working, Show

starts running down Delahoya instead, saying that Mayweather won't make it

ot their fight and Show will then destroy Oscar.

Next is Yang & Moore vs the Greasers. Yang gets the win.

Edge says he wants to move to god's country-Canada

Chuck Pulumbo beats Noble-Noble makes Pulumbo look like a m illion bucks

here, but still gets in some ocassional nice offense.

Maryse is back but still impossible to understand. She and Vickie have a

confusing interaction. Batista gets announced as Smackdown's choice to face

Umaga.

Batista and Kane beat Great Khali and MVP in a long match-and a pretty good

one if you like big men (most of you don't!).

Eve reminds us Rocky and Miaviea are being entered into the hall of fame.

Eve is terrible.

Festus and Jesse's entrance video is pretty funny.

Morrison and Miz come out and introduce their new segment called "The Dirt

Sheet." It's basically Jesse's promos cut out of context so they can make

fun of him-the best line was where they cut it so that Jesse was talking

cheerfully about being anally probed by aliens.

Anyway the match was ok, with Festus and Jesse getting the win. The kid

next to me called Festus the Flying Biscuit. I cracked up laughing and

that's what I'm calling Festus from now on.

I'm not sure if we're dark from this point or not because they rolled away

the crane camera.

Big Daddy V vs Balls Mahoney ends in a no contest when Undertaker comes to

the ring during the middle of the match. Big Daddy V shakes the spot,

Undertaker choke slams balls.

Undertaker cuts an old school style promo, says "death waits for no one" and

tells Edge "to get his minion out here."

Undertaker and Ryder have an ok match. Ryder gets in a bit of offense but

it's pretty much a squash, Ryder gets choked out with Undertaker's new

finisher. Hawkins runs in and gets choked out and coughs up the blood.

I'm pretty sure we're dark from this point on.

Undertaker then straps the WHT to the ring rope. Edge continues to back

away. I'm sure it's dark by this point. Batista's music hits and he shows

up behind Edge. Then Kane's music hits and he block's Edge's escape from

the other end. They force Edge back to the ring, he takes a spinebuster, a

choke slam from Kane, a chokeslam from Undertaker and then a tombstone.

Undertaker and Kane exit with the classic Brother's of Destruction exit.

Then Batista litterally slaps hands with everyone in the front row (90% of

the crowd is still here) on both sides and in the corners. He kisses

babies and gets kissed by chicks and gets a standing ovation on the way out

and he bows to us. Edge gets up, gets booed big time as he's heading down

the ramp, so he returns to the ring, grabs a mic and cuts a monster promo on

the crowd. Finally people start to leave after his music hits, but the

front row is there and Edge is tearing up people's signs. Great heel

moment. This was the hottest the crowd's been of the three shows I've been

to here.

Most Over

1.Batista

2.Undertaker

3.CM Punk

4.Kane

Most Hated

1.Chavo

2.Edge

3.The Great Khali

4.Miz & Morrison

Don't know how I feel about Taker using that new choke out/MMA move as finisher now. I don't mind it too much against bigger guys, but not against guys he can easily tombstone.

Don't know how I feel about Taker using that new choke out/MMA move as finisher now. I don't mind it too much against bigger guys, but not against guys he can easily tombstone.

Taker wants to see more blood?

Lance Storm has some pretty interesting comments about the new finisher as it puts Taker on his back, which is the one position any wrestler should avoid like the plague.

Lance Storm has some pretty interesting comments about the new finisher as it puts Taker on his back, which is the one position any wrestler should avoid like the plague.

Who gives a fuck... Pro Wrestling is going with the times, if it wants to have more MMA finishes, let it. Although I respect Lance Storms talents in the ring, and what he has accomplished, he needs to stop thinking old school. Taker's been wrestling longer then he has ever been, especially at an main event level, if hes evolving with the times, I have no problem with it.

Taker's new submission is fine. Sure, he could have easily taken out Matt Striker and the Rated Rmy, but why not test out his new move on easier opponents? That way, when he's in the ring with someone like Batista or Edge again, he's had some practice with it and knows what it can do.

I can see Storm's point. If you want to make things more realistic with MMA finishes, you have to point out that it's not that realistic for someone to actively favour a move that would put them at increased risk of getting pinned. Double edged sword.

Noble/Palumbo was a pretty damn good match.

Also, Batista is pretty dumb. Barging in on Vickie/Teddy and announcing he'd like to face Umaga at WM? If I were Batista, I'd think about lobbying for a MITB qualifying match, hoping to get in & earn a guaranteed title shot, rather than volunteering for some worthless brand-dick-waving contest.

Batista is smart enough to know that he's at a disadvantage in a ladder match. Beating Umaga would earn him credit with Vicki. In fact, he should have told Vicki "When I win at WM, I get a shot at the title". They still have a month to build to why this is more important to Batista.

What the hell is Edge's shirt?

edit- And yea...pretty nasty, Taker's tongue was covered in "blood". Which could only have come from one of the other two.

The recap of the show on WO says Batista is going after the US title next week... way to go down a peg, Dave. The flipside to that is that's much better than Batista just continuing his rivalry with MVP and putting down the title as unimportant.