TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Mik

May 31: EliteXC on CBS

Elite XC a huge success

The show did a 2.7 rating in prime time. The final rating will be higher because that number only counts 9-11 p.m. The peak half hour was a 4.7 for Kimbo Slice vs. James Thompson and that was after 11 p.m. Full ratings will be out on Tuesday but it's likely to be in the 3.0 to 3.1 range.

The overall number isn't through the roof but the growth was outstanding. It was No. 1 for the night in 18-34 and 18-49 as well as all male demos.

Monster success with those ratings. If Elite can hold ground or gain with their next special, then the entire dynamic in the US MMA scene changes.

Elite XC a huge success

The show did a 2.7 rating in prime time. The final rating will be higher because that number only counts 9-11 p.m. The peak half hour was a 4.7 for Kimbo Slice vs. James Thompson and that was after 11 p.m. Full ratings will be out on Tuesday but it's likely to be in the 3.0 to 3.1 range.

The overall number isn't through the roof but the growth was outstanding. It was No. 1 for the night in 18-34 and 18-49 as well as all male demos.

Monster success with those ratings. If Elite can hold ground or gain with their next special, then the entire dynamic in the US MMA scene changes.

Considering Kimbo's hype, that was expected (though maybe not to that high a rating)... Whether or not the next few shows garner those ratings is the key.

Elite XC a huge success

You mean towards B-level to bad fighters and an overhyped sideshow that can't fight anyone but cans? Man I can't wait for that dynamic.

I don't think they overtake UFC. Sooner or later Kimbo will be exposed (probably in embarassing fashion) and the hype will die and UFC will still be there with real fighters.

No. I think he means that other networks now see that this can work on primetime network television. Which means bigger offers are made to UFC or other promotions. Which stands to alter the MMA scene.

Kimbo's first loss no matter how quick or embarrassing, will be no different then UFC bringing in Cro-Cop as a "Mega Draw" with a huge hype and having him fall flat on more then one occasion.

It's MMA, people lose. GSP got beat by Matt Serra, upsets happen. Life will always go on, and with CBS on board for at least 3 more events, EXC should gain some momentum.

I'd like to see some more organizations get the opportunity to get more TV exposure

Despite having no television for the month of June I was actually in position to watch the card. I ended up at my mother's in PA and told my friends I would meet up with them after the card.

9PM rolls around - I put on CBS and and they are running a telethon for something-or-other. Oh well, I tried. Sounds like I didn't miss much but I still need to catch the last three fights at some point.

If this thread is any indication, this card drew a lot different audience then normal shows.

YPOV, stick around and post more. I was wondering where you went.

Ok It's monday, I'm at work but I was too busy yesterday to post, plus I was tired as hell after getting home from WEC last night.....

One thing I wish Elite XC would do next time is put the fight on LIVE for both coasts, just give it to the West Coast at 5pm or 6pm......I loathe watching taped-live events knowing the event already happened. Oh and according to an interview with Sherdog the July 26th date for the next CBS show has been pushed back because they said they don't want to have to rush to put together a card.

My guess at this point would be Kimbo vs. Rogers headlining, but I think another big time match and a definate crowd pleaser would be a Shamrock/Cung Le rematch. That probably even SHOULD BE the main event, but who knows what they will decide.

As far as the second round of Kimbo's fight, I think it was correct to not stop it in the second round because even though Slice was taking a lot of elbows, there wasn't much force on those elbows at all, and it seemed like Slice was actively trying to guard against them and communicating with the referee that he was ok and not to stop it. It wasn't like he ever got rocked with an elbow that just cleaned his clock. As far as the actual stoppage, sure it might have been 10 or so seconds premature, but Thompson was ready to go and was likely to be brutally KO'd in a matter of seconds. This also shows Kimbo has somewhat of a chin because he did take some shots as well but weathered the storm. I think Rogers beats Kimbo pretty easily right now, but again Kimbo has a sluggers chance.

Lawler/Smith was definately stopped too soon though, I wish they would explained why the doctor felt it needed to be stopped.

Carano looked good for such a small amount of training time, she took some shots also and showed a good chin.

If this thread is any indication, this card drew a lot different audience then normal shows.

You're telling me. My wife, of all people, was just Tivo-ing forward to the local news and decided to stop right at the intros for the last fight, mainly out of morbid curiosity. And we ended up watching it all the way to the end.

For two completely uninitiated viewers, the finish seemed a little bogus. I'm not going to be so bold as to call EliteXC's legitimacy into question after watching one fight as a complete novice, but I can't omit the feeling that the timing of the TKO was very "convenient": Kimbo caught that ear right out of the gate in the third round, after appearing to completely disregard it in the previous rounds, and the referee seemed kind of eager to call it, even if Thompson was probably almost out on his feet. (The fact that the referee let the action go when Thompson took a couple of bombs to the face earlier in the match did not help matters.) It almost made it seem like Thompson's cauliflower ear was a "ripcord" for the match.

And, though the play-by-play during the match wasn't terrible, the post-match commentary actually made things worse, continually hammering home that this was a controversial victory, that Kimbo Slice got away with one. I know that EliteXC is trying to make the most of this prime-time television opportunity, but the tone of that post-match commentary seemed a little desperate; maybe my previous years of wrestling fandom betray me, but I would not have been surprised at all to have heard Gus Johnson yelping in the background, urging us to "tune in next week to find out Thompson's response to this controversial finish."

As for the match itself, I found it interesting at spots, but I was never really excited at any point, so to speak. The "technical" aspects of the match yielded mixed results - some of the reversals were interesting, but the clutching was just brutal at times. It seems to me like the referees are in a very tough spot with MMA: you want to encourage takedowns and grappling so that you differentiate yourself from boxing, but you don't want the match to drag into oblivion as one guy takes two minutes to go for a guillotine.

Aside from all of that, one potentially stupid question: are these fights judged on any kind of point system? If so, why wasn't there any kind of indication as to what the scores were as we progressed from round to round? If that were the case, it would seem like presenting that information would not only provide viewers a better context for the match, but give the commentators a springboard for actually touching on a natural storyline for the fight.

Oh and I wonder if the show being on CBS had anything to do with the seemingly faster stoppages. Were the suits at CBS afraid of "devastating" KO's being too much for a more mainstream, casual audience?

So far the best conspiracy theory I've heard about this show is that EliteXC utilized a phantom tape-delay thingy in the second round when Kimbo supposedly "tapped" which is why none of us saw it.

I know in the post-fight conference, Rogers was claiming Kimbo tapped in the second round, saying he was sitting ringside and saw Kimbo tapping, but he should probably pipe down a little, because it was probably just Kimbo gesturing to the ref that he was ok and didn't want the fight stopped. I am not sure what Kimbo would have been tapping out to, exhaustion? He definately wasn't hurt by the lazy elbows.

Yeah, the only times Kimbo made any motion they were thumbs-up when Thompson had the guillotine and side mount. Whatever, some people will find a way to hate regardless.

Yeah, the only times Kimbo made any motion they were thumbs-up when Thompson had the guillotine and side mount. Whatever, some people will find a way to hate regardless.

It's kind of easy to hate on Kimbo seems how he's a sideshow attraction that has no business being the main draw on an MMA show.

Okay, give the guy a break. He's been thrust into the spotlight without much time to prepare and is being shit-talked left and right by anybody with a mic in their face. In terms of skill-level of course he shouldn't immediately be fighting in the main but the ratings speak for themselves and what they're saying is "Elite made the right call". Can you imagine what a disaster it would've been if Lawler/Smith got curtains?

I actually had a post last night, but I walked away without posting it. There's really no point in arguing over this because it's like talking with a brick wall with some people.

The basic fact is thus: MMA is a business. Dana White would not play ball with people, and he left this opening that Elite XC has filled. Irregardless if you liked Elite XC or not, just about everyone OUTSIDE of the hardcore MMA fanbase liked the show. It drew a pretty massive number for it's time slot and expectations. Elite XC has changed the business of American MMA, and it's getting more press then just about anything MMA related in a very long time. You can either accept it, accept the fact that a "sideshow" drew in ratings, and be happy that there is a viable #2 promotion, or you can't. It's that simple. Elite XC is going to be around. They've earned a right to be around.

WEC last night was a good show, but in the end it's not going to mean anything. Elite XC, bad show or not, has changed things. That's just a fact. That is just life.

I think the Kimbo hate is getting to be more over the top and a bigger case of piling on, then the Kimbo love. The guy is 3-0 and a baby in the sport. If you want to hate someone hate Gary Shaw for putting Kimbo in the Main Event slots, but if you were Kimbo and in his situation why WOULDN'T YOU take what's given to you?

Kimbo in this point in his "career" is about as good as you should be with three professional fights. It would be different if he had been given 30 bums to fight as a professional fighter and has been on like a 10 year winning streak, but the guy is 3-0, how fucking good to expect him to be thus far?

Chill the fuck out.

I don't like Shaw at all. Kimbo being beaten on national television by a can after being hyped to the moon would be a huge blow to the Shaw.

I don't mind Kimbo as a person. When I hear him talk he actually sounds very humble. But, I don't agree with the position Shaw has put him in and the only way to end that is for him to get beat in humiliating fashion.

Dama- I disagree 100%. It would be much more beneficial for Elite and Kimbo for him to lose but still show something in the process. Anybody who wants to see Kimbo get humiliated is unquestionably somebody who cares nothing about his growth and just wants to see him get taken down a peg as opposed to evolving as a fighter.

I do not disagree with what you guys are saying, but Kimbo is a draw for casual fans or brand new fans. He had the cult following from online due to his street fight videos, and there is a curiosity factor to him because of that. You guys are thinking like the seasoned, knowledgeable fans that you are. If you are Shaw, you give the fans what they want. Kimbo has been getting very loud reactions, and he was the guy that a lot of people tuned in to see. Granted, he did not get that same reaction after the match on Saturday, so they might need to slide him down the card a bit. However, for your first show on a network, you want to make sure you build your audience as the show goes on. How do you do that? Put the guy that most viewers want to see on last.

Dama- I disagree 100%. It would be much more beneficial for Elite and Kimbo for him to lose but still show something in the process. Anybody who wants to see Kimbo get humiliated is unquestionably somebody who cares nothing about his growth and just wants to see him get taken down a peg as opposed to evolving as a fighter.

Well I never really said I cared about his growth. I don't think the guy is a legit fighter right now. I think every single heavyweight in the UFC (even the bad ones) could eat him for lunch. I guess I just see the UFC as more legit than XC right now. They have better fighters, better fights and they're run better.

Kimbo in this point in his "career" is about as good as you should be with three professional fights. It would be different if he had been given 30 bums to fight as a professional fighter and has been on like a 10 year winning streak, but the guy is 3-0, how fucking good to expect him to be thus far?

There's been dozens and dozens of other MMA that were much better 3 fights into their careers than Kimbo. It's another issue entirely when you consider the training for MMA he's had, but in terms of how good a fighter he actually is, Kimbo is ranks pretty low amongst supposed prospects, even at HW.

I guess I just see the UFC as more legit than XC right now. They have better fighters, better fights and they're run better.

I don't think there's a single person on this planet with a functioning brain who feels differently.

There's been dozens and dozens of other MMA that were much better 3 fights into their careers than Kimbo. It's another issue entirely when you consider the training for MMA he's had, but in terms of how good a fighter he actually is, Kimbo is ranks pretty low amongst supposed prospects, even at HW.

Ermm, yeah you're right, let me clarify, I meant "career" as in training time along with this fights. Other fighters were better three fights in, but they probably had years of training in fights on smaller shows before they had their fights.

Basically, Kimbo is going through his local bar circuit and KOTC years right now, just with a bigger audience watching.

Now this doesn't mean he will or won't ever amount to anything, it just means he is an infant in the sport.

Well I never really said I cared about his growth.

Then care about the growth of the sport, because Kimbo is going to lead something big for the next few years... hopefully.

I'd also be remiss to mention how awesome it is that Nicky Serra ended up losing by TKO for refusing to get up from the BUTT scoot position. Serra's don't tap, right Nick?

Guys, I just want to say as an outsider looking in, Kimbo was 100% the reason why I tuned in. Hell I didn't even know Gina Carano was fighting but was pleased as punch to see her. We were entertaining guests at our house Saturday night and threw the show on the big screen...I didn't sit down to watch the whole thing, just those particular fights. In that regard, I would say CBS succeeded. Amazingly, it sort of got me interested in MMA again, as I tuned in to the WEC show the following evening and enjoyed it. Keep in mind I loved the UFC waaaaay back in the mid-90s but sort of lost interest over the years. I mean, I don't know if you hardcore MMA guys like fans like me, but I would think you want every fan you can get.

Lushus, I might've talked my fair share of shit on you back in my days lurking in the WWE folder but you're good people and a welcome addition to this folder. I seriously hope you continue to watch, MMA needs fans of all kinds.