TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Mik

May 31: EliteXC on CBS

n00b behavior is inevitable, we're pretty forgiving around here compared to other places. Just ask a question if you need to know anything, also check out the threads pinned at the top, good resources.

I'm another n00b who is back after having been a fan for the first 20 or so UFC cards and then disappearing. I found the show "fun" and frustrating at the same time and plan to catch the competition to get back into it.

FYI for those looking for more free MMA from EliteXC on Saturday June 14th they're holding a show in Hawaii with the main event being their Lightweight Champ KJ Noons making his first defence against former UFC fighter Yves Edwards.

Dama- I disagree 100%. It would be much more beneficial for Elite and Kimbo for him to lose but still show something in the process. Anybody who wants to see Kimbo get humiliated is unquestionably somebody who cares nothing about his growth and just wants to see him get taken down a peg as opposed to evolving as a fighter.

Well I never really said I cared about his growth.

Then care about the growth of the sport, because Kimbo is going to lead something big for the next few years... hopefully.

I honestly don't care about the growth of the sport if it means sacrificing its legitmacy and presenting itself as the brutish psuedo-sport that it's been viewed as by the mainstream for the past decade and a half.

I hope to god Brett Rogers knocks Kimbo's head off his shoulders...

Rogers has impressed me much more as a HW prospect then Kimbo has.

I think you'd be out of your mind to say that Kimbo has been more impressive at this point. Rogers is awesome if only for the fact that he sounds EXACTLY like Darryl from NBC's The Office. Like, dead-on. Also, unless I'm wrong he coined the term "Wobble wobble" when he KO'd Thompson and they showed the replay on the big screen.

Dama- I disagree 100%. It would be much more beneficial for Elite and Kimbo for him to lose but still show something in the process. Anybody who wants to see Kimbo get humiliated is unquestionably somebody who cares nothing about his growth and just wants to see him get taken down a peg as opposed to evolving as a fighter.

Well I never really said I cared about his growth.

Then care about the growth of the sport, because Kimbo is going to lead something big for the next few years... hopefully.

I honestly don't care about the growth of the sport if it means sacrificing its legitmacy and presenting itself as the brutish psuedo-sport that it's been viewed as by the mainstream for the past decade and a half.

It's not like Kimbo Slice is all that Elite XC has to offer though. There are plenty of other good fighters and potential matchups to be had.

It's not like Kimbo Slice is all that Elite XC has to offer though. There are plenty of other good fighters and potential matchups to be had.

Actually, they don't have a lot of good fighters, which is part of the reason I don't think they'll maintain a fan base that well, but that's another story.

It's not simply the idea of an MMA neophyte, whose street-fighter persona runs opposite of everything MMA has tried to present itself as, being used as the main attraction of several events. How is anyone supposed to take a sport seriously, when the presumably second-most watched promotion also has an overprotected, unprofessional poster-girl with split loyalties? An uneven presentation with an oddly non-fight oriented focus and amateurish time-management? Match-ups picked that were almost certain to focus solely on a single aspect of the fight game, thus losing a large part of the dynamic that makes MMA unique and exciting? And the type of boxing promotor that fans have been claiming is ruining that sport using every lie, misdirection and outright scam around, making it come across as staged as pro wrestling to many pundits and fans?

Now I'm not saying the show was Iron Ring-level bad, and a few of the points are admittedly debatable, but I think that on an overall scale your average UFC, WEC, or IFL event would've served to show the sport in a much more favorable light.

Speaking of Gina, how the fuck do you not make a weight class that was put together specifically for you, twice in a row?

if theres nothing else on I'll watch the MMA stuff on HD Net or WEC on VS HD if its on. Theres been a lot of MMA on HD Net which is a product of Mark Cuban. With his money and marketing ability Id like to think whatever he does will end up being more sucessful than elite XC.

was Saturday's show an example of a typical EliteXC event?

No, and that is my point. It would be different if every single EliteXC show up to this point was like this, but they have had good shows on Showtime, especially when working with Strikeforce. If they simply would have just re-aired a different event that aired on Showtime, people would probably not be bashing it the way they did. And that brings me to the other point which is that most people have seen other EliteXC events and know that the CBS debut show is not the best stuff they have to offer so it is kind of annoying that they are judging the entire organization based on one subpar(but not even horrible) show. For a big CBS primetime nationally televised audience, yeah I agree they kind of dropped the ball, but if you've seen EliteXC on ShowTime before you know damn well they can put together good cards when they aren't so overly-focused on trying to appeal to the lowest-commen denominator fans. If you've read CBS's reaction to the show and fans reaction, CBS seems pretty open to making changes for the next telecast, and that seems like a pretty good thing.

After catching a few of the prior EXC shows on showtime I gotta say this show is definitely not up to par with there past shows.

That Cung-Le/Shamrock fight was great, does anyone know how long ago that was? Has a re-match ever been discussed? Sorry for being all off topic and such.

Oh alright I thought it was much longer ago. I'm guessing Cung-Le hasn't defended it yet.

And not to be too much of a bother but could anyone explain the relationship between EXC and Strikeforce? Was that just a joint event or do they have a regular working relationship?

Completely unprofessional act by Alves. For a guy who wants to be seen as a contender, this does little to brighten his star. How can he be seen as reliable to make weight for a title bout if he whiffs on the biggest fight of his career?

And jesusgoddamn did Gina look so fucking hot kicking that chicks ass. Top female fighter in the world at one hundred and *mumbles* pounds. I would so do her. She can pull guard on me all nite loooong. Am-i-rite? I would never pass guard unless it was to rear mount her. SEXUALLY.

And jesusgoddamn did Gina look so fucking hot kicking that chicks ass. Top female fighter in the world at one hundred and *mumbles* pounds. I would so do her. She can pull guard on me all nite loooong. Am-i-rite? I would never pass guard unless it was to rear mount her. SEXUALLY.

She could triangle me all day :wub:

I saw a 2 Disc DVD today and it had Kimbo on the front cover. It was only 12 bucks and I was tempted but I decided against it.

The Diaz vs Noons DVD? I almost bought that at Target for $12.99 myself

im watching the Showtime card tonight off the DVR about 45 min behind, but Waterman took a finger to the eye from the start of the fight and it kept on going..I dont think they're too consistant on their rules.

I couldnt believe Waterman got dominated like he did though, but anyway.

Noons sure beat the shit out of Edwards. I was expecting a different fight there.

And yes after watching the show again, I think for the first time ever I've slightly understood the mentality of those guys who pay dominatrix's to step on there balls with high-heels. I would let Carano choke the life out of me with a body scissors and die smiling.