TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
King Kamala

This thread is gay

I'll admit his output in the past 25 years has sucked. Though "Nikita" amuses me since it's the only love song dedicated to a male Soviet Guard. I found that out on Pop Up Videos. Seriously, Nikita's a guy name and he never specifies which gender he's singing about! Come to think of it, a lot of his songs were gender-neutral. Who was he fooling in the seventies?

but I like pretty much anything he did up until 1975ish.

The fact that he managed to release anything that's even remotely listenable with Bernie Taupin as his wordsmith is pretty impressive though. His lyrics were always total garbage, even by the standards of popular music.

Hey now, Andrew Ridgely is married to one of the chicks from Bananarama.

To tie this into the thread, George Michael sang backup vocals on the aforementioned "Nikita". And IIRC, Wham! did backup vocals during Elton John's set at Live Aid.

I really like "Measure of a Man" from the Rocky V soundtrack. Really works well over that montage in the credits. I also kind of like the stuff from the Lion King. Those are some nice pop hits. Actually I don't think Taupin had anything to do with either of those.

I also like "Funeral for a Friend". But not "Love Lies Bleeding." Just the first minute or so.

I have that greatest hits disc that collects his seventies singles, and I really love it.

Same here. I'm also partial to "Don't Go Breakin' My Heart," having lost certain elements of my virginity while listening to it.

I love him, fuck everybody else.

His best song is "Tiny Dancer". One time, I was getting into my car late at night, with the windows fogged over, and I took my finger and wrote "HOLD ME CLOSER TINY DANCER" on the rear window. The smear stayed for a good 10 months.

My favorite, at least currently, has to be "Mona Lisas and Mad Hatters". "Daniel" is a close second. I still haven't figured whether the song is about his gay lover, his blind Vietnam Vet brother, or perhaps both.

What a cocktease, pun blatantly intended, that This Thread Is Ghey can't offer anything here.

As it turns out, I can't really offer anything apart from that, either.

Edit: Yes, I can. I Guess Thats Why They Call It The Blues FTW.

Double edit: My second FTW in a day and change. That's a new one. I'll blame Taz's debut on 24/7 this week.

If you can find it, check out his duet with Mary J. Blige. They sing "I Guess That's Why They Call It The Blues." It's beautiful. Makes me cry.

I never really listened to any of his classic albums in their entirety but I've had a few of his greatest hits compilations that I really enjoy whenever I feel like listening to that kind of pop music. Of course I missed some of his rather rare stuff like "Tiny Dancer" (now one of my faves) and "Mona Lisas and Mad Hatters" in the beginning but thanks to movies like Almost Famous I got the chance to listen to them and add to the enjoyement. His seventies stuff I would have to say is my favorite like "Candle in the Wind", "Your Song" and "Don't Let the Sun Go Down on Me."

Guest Michael Myers Resplendent

"This thread is gay" by "IDrinkKamalaMilk" is too self-celebratory, even for me.

I don't care about Elton John at all. Shatner's "Rocket Man" which I found by way of Stewie on Family Guy was hysterical when I was a senior in high school.

I bought a friend the Shatner album The Transformed Man in high school. One of the best gifts I've ever given.

I like Elton John and should probably pick up that two-disc compilation sometime, or just download all his albums.

Check out Girl Talk's "Smash Your Head". Biggie Smalls mashed up with "Tiny Dancer".

I know mash up is dead, but Girl Talk is the one dude who manages to do it and keep it relevant.

"Smash Your Head" live easily generated the most rapturous crowd response I've seen at a show in years. I mean, insanity. I'm kind of surprised Elton John hasn't been sampled more often. I know "Ghetto Gospel," the (dead) Tupac song with Bodie from The Wire in it, samples "Indian Sunrise," but I can't remember much more offhand.