TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest raptor

Reviews 6/19

Guest raptor

Buffy The Vampire Slayer/Angel: Reunion

Creators : Jane Espeneson, Paul Lee, Brian Horton, Ryan Sook, Chynna Clugston-Major, Randy Green, Rick Ketcham, Eric Powell

Auxiliary Facts: None

Plot: The Scooby Gang speculates about Buffy’s clandestine meeting with Angel, all while their are being stalked by a fire demon.

Comments: This is the first Buffy related comics that hasn’t been perfect since I began reading them. It’s not a bad comic by any stretch, but I guess I had higher expectations (considering it’s subject matter and $3.50 price tag). I’m not a huge fan of Jane Espeneson either, as I find her episodes to be the least entertaining of the series. There are a lot of good moments here (especially the end), and that’s enough for a decent score. **1/2

Avengers Icons: Tigra #4 (of 4)

Creators : Christina Z., Mike Deodato Jr.

Auxiliary Facts: IR: Tigra’s Husband’s Murderer

Plot: Tigra continues on her path of revenge by seeing to the end of the Brethren of the Blue Fist. She finally confronts her husband’s killer, and makes a life altering decision.

Comments: This mini has been the best of all the “Icons” series. Christina Z. has shown herself to be a very capable writer, making a b-level Avenger into a sympathetic lead heroine. It wasn’t a great story, but it was an acceptable series. The conclusion was a pretty good shocker, but the rest of the issue was kind of jumbled and uneven. Good effort, however, and it gives the “Icons” line a much needed shot in the arm. ***

Ultimate X-Men #19 (X-Men: World Tour Part IV of IV)

Creators : Mark Millar, Chris Bachalo

Auxiliary Facts: A TON of stuff (deaths, etc...) that I’d rather not give away.

Plot: The World Tour comes to an explosive conclusion, as people die, true heroes are made, and an earth-shattering decision is rendered.

Comments: Man, does Mark Millar know how to end a story arc or what? Proteus gets his in a believable way, Colossus’ plot thread is tied up, and Iceman grows some balls. It was completely satisfying from a storyline perspective. Now, from a fan prospective, I have one big beef. Chris Bachalo’s art sucks. It’s as simple as that. He seems to have no grasp of anatomy, and his expressionless faces are deplorable. If Adam Kubert draws this issue, it’s the best book of the week, but as is, it’s far less than perfect. ****

New X-Men #128 (New Worlds)

Creators : Grant Morrison, Igor Kordey

Auxiliary Facts: A:Cannonball, Monet, Siryn, Multiple Man, Darkstar, Rictor. 1st: Weapon XII, Fantomex

Plot: As Charles reveals the existence of the X-Corporations to the general populace, an emergency team of X-Men (Cannonball, Monet, Siryn, Multiple Man, Darkstar, Rictor) is dispatched to a suspicious accident. As Charles and Jean discuss her recent power displays, the mutant criminal Fantomex arrives to put them in a morally compromising situation and reveal the existence of Weapon XII.

Comments: Morrison is very quickly turning me into a believer. I despised everything after “E is for Extinction” (which was fan-frickin’-tastic), but he seems to have put the worst behind him. Imperial was great, and his new storyline looks to be his best yet. His character dynamics are spot-on, and the major revelation in this issue will have long time fans breathlessly awaiting the next issue. The Phoenix is back, and the X-Men will never be the same. ****

Daredevil #34 Uber-Book of the Week!

Creators : Brian Michael Bendis, Alex Maleev

Auxiliary Facts: A: Spider-Man, J. Jonah Jameson, Elektra, Bullseye

Plot: As Ben Urich and Peter Parker attempt to dispel the Murdock/Daredevil connection, Foggy continues to try an persuade Matt to give Daredevil a rest...forever.

Comments: In two weeks, Bendis has delivered two outstanding character studies. Foggy’s anger is palpable as he tries to get his friend to give up his second life. There is a lot of inspiring dialogue in this one, and it serves as a perfect jumping-on point for readers who missed the “underboss” storyline. Maleev deserves a great deal of credit, as well, especially the scenes where Daredevil is running through the rain. GET IT, OR GET CANCER~!*****

The Morlocks #3 (of 4, Sinners and Saviors)

Creators : Geoff Johns, Sean Martinbrough

Auxiliary Facts: IR: Litterbug

Plot: As the Morlocks continue acting out their death wishes, the Sentinels close in. They lose one of their own, and find themselves a greater purpose... and a future.

Comments: Johns finally delivers the great issue this mini is capable of. After rereading the other issues, the death in this issue was a little predictable, but that’s my only gripe. The plot is interesting, and the Morlock’s “higher purpose” sets up what should be a killer final issue. ****

Spider-Man: Quality of Life #2 (of 4)

Creators : Greg Rucka, Scott Sava (Digital Pencils)

Auxiliary Facts: None

Plot: The Lizard continues his war against the food manufacturers that have given his wife cancer. As Peter Parker makes a frightening discovery, Curt Conners is given the worst news possible...

Comments: I seem to be enjoying this mini a lot more than some other people. I don’t have a huge issue with the digital art, and I think it’s a very passable style, and a good insurance possibility for obscenely late titles. Rucka writes a mean Spider-Man as well, and seems to have a perfect grasp of Spidey’s trademark quips. ***

Guest starvenger

>Now, from a fan prospective, I have one big beef. Chris Bachalo’s art sucks. It’s as simple as that. He seems to have no grasp of anatomy, and his expressionless faces are deplorable.

I think Bachalo's art can be very hit and miss, and it depends on his motivation. Case in point - his later issues of Generation X as compared to the early issues and the two Death mini-series.

Oh, and why is it that Multiple Man always seems to be in a "substitute" X-Team?

Guest raptor
I think Bachalo's art can be very hit and miss, and it depends on his motivation.  Case in point - his later issues of Generation X as compared to the early issues and the two Death mini-series.

I agree. I have no idea what happened to him. His art has deteriorated to the point where he belongs nowhere near mainstream titles.