TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
SilverPhoenix

College Hoops: 3/1/08 - 3/16/08

Are you a Duke fan Cowboy?

As a former Tarheel I don't want to have to hate you if the answer is yes.

The answer is indeed yes.

You're going down on Saturday.

What happened?

Don't worry - no shame in losing to the best team in the nation. North Carolina playing D = trouble for everyone else.

Danny Green was a beast last night. Knocking down all the big shots, blocking 7 Duke shots, and posterizing the hell out of Greg Paulus.

If anyone stumbles across an image of him immortalizing Paulus as a punk please post it here.

I was ready to fucking stab somebody last night.

That shit was bullshit. I'm sick of mildly unstable t not getting called for SHIT in the paint.

Seeing as how Hansbrough went to the line ZERO times, I'd say that makes us even.

Bracket Project Update

Last Eight In

New Mexico

Syracuse

Oregon

Ohio State

Arizona State

Illinois State

Massachusetts

Kentucky

Last Eight Out

VCU

UAB

Virgina Tech

Villanova

Mississippi

Western Kentucky

Maryland

Dayton

I;m looking at the top 25 AP Poll, anybody else find it weird that Texas loses to Texas Tech and barely beats NEbraska and OState, and yet somehow moves up 3 slots to number 6? Also, does Duke ever drop more than 2 slots after a loss?

Well Duke did just lose to the #1 team in the nation, so I doubt they would fall that much.

It's funny but when UK lost to San Diego early in the season I didn't feel it was that bad of a loss, at least not like that Gardner-Webb fiasco. I sorta kept track of USD in the WCC after that game and noticed that they were winning consistently out there, only losing to Gonzaga twice and St. Mary's once in conf. play. Now they are in the tourney, thanks to having the tourney on their court. I wonder, does the WCC actually get 3 bids or is St. Mary's basically screwed?

South Alabama lost tonight to Middle Tennessee. Well, WKU...the Sun Belt tourney is yours. Now don't blow it!

Well Duke did just lose to the #1 team in the nation, so I doubt they would fall that much.

It's funny but when UK lost to San Diego early in the season I didn't feel it was that bad of a loss, at least not like that Gardner-Webb fiasco. I sorta kept track of USD in the WCC after that game and noticed that they were winning consistently out there, only losing to Gonzaga twice and St. Mary's once in conf. play. Now they are in the tourney, thanks to having the tourney on their court. I wonder, does the WCC actually get 3 bids or is St. Mary's basically screwed?

South Alabama lost tonight to Middle Tennessee. Well, WKU...the Sun Belt tourney is yours. Now don't blow it!

St. Mary's is in right now, they're probably in better shape than anyone in this group....

Florida

Ohio State

Oregon

Arizona State

Syracuse

Villanova

Dayton

St. Joseph's

Temple

Ole Miss

Virginia Tech

Maryland.

For St. Mary's or South Alabama to get knocked out of the tourney....They would need like a combination of 9 of these teams to get hot.

And in all honesty, here are the teams that I see playing their way in, this weekend.

Syracuse/Villanova

Oregon/Arizona State

Maryland/Virginia Tech

Temple/St. Joes/Dayton (one of these 3 will most likely win their Conference Tournament)

Everyone else is dead in the water, or is going to kill themselves by Friday.

I know that the last projection posted was before the 2 big losses today, but no way Illinois State should get in after the performance Sunday. That coupled with no wins with any real meat sealed their fate.

I am rooting for Temple to make a big run in the A-10 tourney. I am a Dayton homer, and although injuries and the inability to beat mediocre teams on the road sealed their NIT fate, I think the A-10 is not getting as much respect as it deserves. 1-11 are all respectable teams (which is different than the previous 3-5 years).

I know that the last projection posted was before the 2 big losses today, but no way Illinois State should get in after the performance Sunday. That coupled with no wins with any real meat sealed their fate.

I am rooting for Temple to make a big run in the A-10 tourney. I am a Dayton homer, and although injuries and the inability to beat mediocre teams on the road sealed their NIT fate, I think the A-10 is not getting as much respect as it deserves. 1-11 are all respectable teams (which is different than the previous 3-5 years).

Illinois State is dead as well. Losing by 30 just made their situation that much worse.

VCU is definitely NIT bound after tonight. No chance for them, and this is coming from CAA School Alumni. It wouldn't be so bad if they were a lock a Top 2 Seed for the NIT Tournament, but since the Top Seeds are reserved for 8th Place BCS teams, is a double hurting.

Now as for the A-10, they can still get 3 in. They need for UMass to make it to Final (though winning on Thursday, may send them over the top), and Xavier to lose before Saturday (which usually happens). Otherwise its a 2 Bid League.

I highly doubt Illinois State is dead, granted their resume isnt super strong but they did beat Cincy who plays in the best conference in America and swept Southern Illinois and Creighton, which no one had done in years, Drake cant even say they swept both teams because they lost to Creighton, truthfully with the Big Ten I actually wouldnt be all that surprised if someone like Penn State or Illinois making a serious run or even winning to throw everything off

The MVC always gets 2 bids so I think Illinois St. is going to get in. They would be in much better shape though if they hadn't been utter bitches against Drake in that final however.

WKU! WKU! My parents' alma mater is officially in the tourney after beating Middle TN last night. Please put them against some lame, overseeded major conf. team. I think ESPN's bracket had them against Purdue, which would be one of the most obvious upset picks ever.

Now Villanova is in a do or die game on Thursday, aganist Georgetown. Win and you're in. Lose, and you're a #1 Seed, in the little dance.

Dayton also won their game aganist St. Louis in overtime. Dayton needs to win aganist Xavier to have ANY shot at the Big Dance.

The Portland State Vikings are dancing! Yes! Portland State, by the way, has three alumni/current students on this board. At LEAST.

Anyone care to explain why everyone keeps pimping the Pac 10 so hard? Aside from UCLA I don't really see anything special there. Stanford has run up a big record on the 77th SOS, and will almost surely be a 2nd round upset pick in my bracket. Washington St. is a boring plodder team that I'll also have gone in the 2nd round. USC actually could be a threat on a good day, but they are so up and down I'm not sure whether to pick them to go far or not.

Those are the locks. Arizona has a good RPI and SOS but with a losing conf. record I don't really think they should make the tourney unless they make a Pac 10 tourney run. Oregon is a very mediocre team (18-12, 54 RPI), do they really deserve to get in? And I'm mystified as to why so many experts are putting Arizona St. in the field at 19-11 with a 75 RPI.

The Pac 10 should get about 5 bids. The 4 main teams (UCLA, USC, Stanford, Wash St.) plus whoever can make a Pac 10 tourney run.

Anyone care to explain why everyone keeps pimping the Pac 10 so hard? Aside from UCLA I don't really see anything special there. Stanford has run up a big record on the 77th SOS, and will almost surely be a 2nd round upset pick in my bracket. Washington St. is a boring plodder team that I'll also have gone in the 2nd round. USC actually could be a threat on a good day, but they are so up and down I'm not sure whether to pick them to go far or not.

Those are the locks. Arizona has a good RPI and SOS but with a losing conf. record I don't really think they should make the tourney unless they make a Pac 10 tourney run. Oregon is a very mediocre team (18-12, 54 RPI), do they really deserve to get in? And I'm mystified as to why so many experts are putting Arizona St. in the field at 19-11 with a 75 RPI.

The Pac 10 should get about 5 bids. The 4 main teams (UCLA, USC, Stanford, Wash St.) plus whoever can make a Pac 10 tourney run.

Is there anybody you like besides Louisville? I swear every post you have in here says that so and so team is a second round upset because they aren't that good (Georgetown, Tennessee, Pac-10 teams, etc.).

Does Dayton have a shot to get in? They couldn't beat Xavier today and only finished 7th in the A-10, but they do have 21 wins, including Pitt and @ Louisville (two better wins than pretty much anyone else on the bubble), and had injury problems for much of conference play.

Does Dayton have a shot to get in? They couldn't beat Xavier today and only finished 7th in the A-10, but they do have 21 wins, including Pitt and @ Louisville (two better wins than pretty much anyone else on the bubble), and had injury problems for much of conference play.

its hard to say, they could get in depending on their SOS, RPI, who they beat in conference

Showing the highlights of the end of USC/ASU, where the Sun Devils had a tying basket waved off with 17 seconds left on a phantom call, one of the ESPN2 analysis just let loose:

"A joke. Pac-10 officiating is a joke. There was no box out, no nothing." and "Wouldn't be a Pac-10 game without bad officiating."

Then, when the other analyst said, "That's just enough, now...it happens," the first analyst came back with, "No! It happens in THIS conference in big, big games."

I don't know who that analyst is, but he is awesome. I thought they were going to throw down on the air.

EDIT: It was Doug Gottlieb. Doug Gottlieb is awesome.

Showing the highlights of the end of USC/ASU, where the Sun Devils had a tying basket waved off with 17 seconds left on a phantom call, one of the ESPN2 analysis just let loose:

"A joke. Pac-10 officiating is a joke. There was no box out, no nothing." and "Wouldn't be a Pac-10 game without bad officiating."

Then, when the other analyst said, "That's just enough, now...it happens," the first analyst came back with, "No! It happens in THIS conference in big, big games."

I don't know who that analyst is, but he is awesome. I thought they were going to throw down on the air.

Doug Gottlieb brings the LOLs, and that's about it. I can't wait till his next burial of West Virginia, despite winning today.

I don't think Dayton does. The 14-1 start was great, but the 7-9 finish will look ugly. They haven't looked bad without Chris Wright (2nd best player, lost for the year on Jan 8th v. Rhode Island), but I just think their bad losses (@La Salle, Duequesne, @GW) will sink them. La Salle and Duequesne were both solid programs this year and not the fodder they are mostly thought as, but I just don't think an NCAA tournament team loses all three of those games.

But I think they are more worthy than teams like Illinois State, New Mexico, UAB, Virginia Tech, Maryland, Ole Miss and Ohio State.

The RPI and SOS helps them, the eyeball test hurts them.

Looks like 2-time defending champ Florida's bubble is about to burst. They're getting killed by nearly 30 to below-average Alabama right now. Obviously this isn't the same cast of characters, but I figured it might've been nice to see them get in and make a decent run at it.

EDIT: Never mind.

Damn. I must see this.

Oh joy, U of L loses to Pitt yet AGAIN in the Big East tourney. Ah well, as I said recently there are worse things that dropping to a 4 seed if it's in the right bracket. I'll take being a 4 in the Tennesee or Memphis region. I'd rather not have U of L shipped out west to be screwed by UCLA, and UNC in Charlotte isn't a feasible win.

Man, this BE tourney has already become a total joke. UConn, U of L, and ND all losing today sets up the epic matchups of G'Town/WVU and Pitt/Quette. I have to admit though, once I saw Pitt was U of L's potential first game I knew we were in some trouble.

RE: The ASU phantom foul.

There needs to be some kind of universal understanding of the "over the back" foul, from high school to NBA officials. The victim of the foul needs to be in a position to box out, then actually attempt to box out. If there's any contact then, that's a foul. Pendergraph went over a USC guy who was basically looking at the basket (in all honesty, he was waiting for the ball to rim out, which it did) and timed it right for the putback dunk. The USC rebounder wasn't even in position to do anything.

That was a disgusting call. Just...sad. ASU has a damn good team (seen them live) and a beast in Pendergraph. I hope that they can make the dance despite this call, but that's a longshot now.

Well, with just about every bubble team losing tonight, Arizona St. has as good a shot to make it as any other team in this spot.