TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
SilverPhoenix

College Hoops: 3/1/08 - 3/16/08

Bad day for the Pac-10 bubble teams as all three lost. I still think Arizona is safe as I think the committee will reward them for the schedule they played although I really thought Stanford would have a lot tougher time with them tonight but they were able cruise in the second half. That should secure a 3 seed for the Cardinal and probably a trip to Anaheim to start to the tournament.

Guest Vitamin X
The Portland State Vikings are dancing! Yes! Portland State, by the way, has three alumni/current students on this board. At LEAST.

YES!

I was shocked to learn that the men's basketball team was actually so good. I saved the issue of the Vanguard saying Champions.

WE BELIEVE.

The Portland State Vikings are dancing! Yes! Portland State, by the way, has three alumni/current students on this board. At LEAST.

YES!

I was shocked to learn that the men's basketball team was actually so good. I saved the issue of the Vanguard saying Champions.

WE BELIEVE.

I want one of those. What're the odds you grab one and I pick it up from you next time I'm in Portland?

.. I used to write for The Vanguard.

Guest Vitamin X

If they're still around tomorrow, I'll grab one for ya. The Vanguard's office actually is right around the corner from where I work in the Smith Basement these days.

I actually heard an announcer say during the Wake/Florida St game that if the Seminoles beat North Carolina that they suddenly might become involved in the NCAA tournament discussion.

As a Seminole fan, I say HAHAHAHAHAHA YEAH RIGHT!

The record would be a weak 20-13 with the only quality wins being NC and Florida. The only chance they have is to win the whole ACC tournament so they truthfully have no chance in hell.

Yesterday I ranted against the Pac 10 being such an amazing conference and the game results bear me out. There are clearly 4 tourney teams in the Pac 10 and the rest are NIT teams. On what planet is Arizona St. a tourney team with a 70+ RPI and a Pac 10 tourney loss to USC? Oregon is NIT bound as well.

They'll probably still let Arizona in just because they always make it.

As far as the SEC goes, I have to wonder if UGA beating Ole Miss could be dubious news for UK. It was an OT game and UK should win it but what if UK loses this game? It would be a loss to a team with a 140 or so RPI, so I wonder if that would put UK back on the bubble. At least if Ole Miss had won and UK lost to them, it wouldn't be a biggie.

Yesterday I ranted against the Pac 10 being such an amazing conference and the game results bear me out. There are clearly 4 tourney teams in the Pac 10 and the rest are NIT teams. On what planet is Arizona St. a tourney team with a 70+ RPI and a Pac 10 tourney loss to USC? Oregon is NIT bound as well.

They'll probably still let Arizona in just because they always make it.

As far as the SEC goes, I have to wonder if UGA beating Ole Miss could be dubious news for UK. It was an OT game and UK should win it but what if UK loses this game? It would be a loss to a team with a 140 or so RPI, so I wonder if that would put UK back on the bubble. At least if Ole Miss had won and UK lost to them, it wouldn't be a biggie.

I said it last week on another board, and I'll say it again.

Kentucky was in barring a trap loss in the SEC tournament. Lo and behold, Georgia is that potential trap loss. If Kentucky loses, it gives the committee every reason to leave out the Wildcats. Otherwise, Kentucky becomes too strong.

I don't even know if a loss would knock them out. Who is the worthy team ahead of them? Arizona State? Oregon? Ohio State? All of them have their flaws and I cannot say that any of those teams are ahead of them. And they all lost in their first tournament games like UK potentially could.

Guest Beastalentier

These conference tournaments don't really serve much of a purpose, do they? I mean, other than further exploiting 19-year-olds for financial gain, of course.

These conference tournaments don't really serve much of a purpose, do they? I mean, other than further exploiting 19-year-olds for financial gain, of course.

There are 20- and 21-year-olds, too.

Even if they don't win their conference tourney, an impressive run from a bubble team in these tournaments could get them into the big tournament.

Outright winning your conference tournament, regardless of your season record, gets you an automatic bid.

Guest Beastalentier

There are too many games in the college season. I'm convinced that some of them have to be meaningless. If not these, then maybe those early games where big schools buy wins against small schools.

Obviously a team wants to win the NCAA title, but conference championship banners get hung in the rafters as well. So, I think they serve a purpose.

There are too many games in the college season. I'm convinced that some of them have to be meaningless. If not these, then maybe those early games where big schools buy wins against small schools.

You're thinking of football. This doesn't happen near as much in basketball.

It does happen as often, if not more, in basketball. I'm sure UCLA scheduled those games against Yale, Youngstown St, Idaho State, UC Davis, and Western Illinois because they thought those teams offered a competitive game. The same goes for all top rated schools. Those games are nothing but mere exhibition games for big name schools to fill their arenas. The small schools have no choice to accept the "honor" of traveling cross country during the school year with the very faint hopes that they might catch that powerhouse team on an off day and get some attention that they could never obtain on their own.

BWAAAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! Illinois beat Purdue, I highly suggest when the brackets come out Sunday to pick Purdue as a first round upset

It does happen as often, if not more, in basketball. I'm sure UCLA scheduled those games against Yale, Youngstown St, Idaho State, UC Davis, and Western Illinois because they thought those teams offered a competitive game. The same goes for all top rated schools. Those games are nothing but mere exhibition games for big name schools to fill their arenas. The small schools have no choice to accept the "honor" of traveling cross country during the school year with the very faint hopes that they might catch that powerhouse team on an off day and get some attention that they could never obtain on their own.

My point is that there are so many fewer sure wins in college basketball. I'm sure Kentucky thought that Gardner-Webb and San Diego were pretty easy games when they scheduled them. There are tons of upsets on this scale in basketball, while a comparable upset in football happens almost never.

Guest Beastalentier
BWAAAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! Illinois beat Purdue, I highly suggest when the brackets come out Sunday to pick Purdue as a first round upset

Ugh. Fucking horrible. Did the red-faced dopes of Illini Nation throw any batteries or ice cubes at Purdue players' parents, or chant "fuck you"? Will they be able to match this showing in next year's tournament, when they add the first ever convicted felon in Big Ten basketball history to their roster?

Georgia/Kentucky has been postponed due to damage to the Georgia Dome. I would have to think they will need to cancel the tournament and give their automatic bid to Tennessee (regular season means something!) because they still have the semis and finals to finish by Sunday and they would only be able to do that by having the winner of the UGA/UK game play two games in one day tomorrow, if they can even continue the tournament.

If last year taught us anything, it's that Wisconsin can blow anything when they convince themselves they just have to show up at the arena and they'll win.

Holy fucking shit. What an ending to the Minn vs IU game. Fucking insane.

Cannot believe Purdue lost to Illinois today. What a fucking collapse at the end.

Duke with the good win over GT today, even though GT pulled to within 3 at one point.

Georgia/Kentucky has been postponed due to damage to the Georgia Dome. I would have to think they will need to cancel the tournament and give their automatic bid to Tennessee (regular season means something!) because they still have the semis and finals to finish by Sunday and they would only be able to do that by having the winner of the UGA/UK game play two games in one day tomorrow, if they can even continue the tournament.

Could they move the games to another local site, such as the Phillips Arena or other college venues? Not that it really matters, it's the SEC.