TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
SilverPhoenix

College Hoops: 3/1/08 - 3/16/08

What's strange about this year's crop of "bubble" teams is that no specific school really demands a spot. UK should be in but outside of that demented fanbase, will anyone be that upset? Same goes for Ohio State, Villanova, Arizona State, Illinois State and those others.

The ESPN people seem to think Arizona is more desering than Oregon. Granted UA played a hellacious schedule, but in the Pac 10 they played the same schedule. And Oregon did better. And swept Arizona. I think they're both in anyways due to how the conference is viewed.

I also have to say I don't believe most teams actually get "snubbed". You either won your games or you didn't. If Oregon misses out, well they should've beaten UCLA, USC or WSU once. Or just not lost to Oakland.

I still argue they should get rid of that play-in-game between the potential #16 seeds and assign the first two bubble teams on the outside to play for a #12 seed against the strongest #5. They will never do that but it'd be a much more compelling game between, hypothetically, Arizona State and Massachusetts then it would be for Coppin and Portland State.

Dammit to hell. Arkansas 92 Tennessee 91 in an absolute instant classic. Just picture perfect shooting and offensive execution from both teams with Lofton BARELY missing the last 3. I'm not that bummed cause we get some extra rest and could still be a #1 with the #1 RPI and SOS, but more likely the top #2. Still, what a game.

Dammit to hell. Arkansas 92 Tennessee 91 in an absolute instant classic. Just picture perfect shooting and offensive execution from both teams with Lofton BARELY missing the last 3. I'm not that bummed cause we get some extra rest and could still be a #1 with the #1 RPI and SOS, but more likely the top #2. Still, what a game.

the way I see it in terms of Number 1 seeds would be UNC, Memphis, Kansas (barring a loss tommorow) and UCLA in that order, but tommorow we shall see, the seedings should be interesting given all the upsets in the last couple days

the way I see it in terms of Number 1 seeds would be UNC, Memphis, Kansas (barring a loss tommorow) and UCLA in that order, but tommorow we shall see, the seedings should be interesting given all the upsets in the last couple days

I'd agree with those four...I'd say the Kansas-Texas winner out of the Big 12 should get the fourth number 1 seed.

Guest Beastalentier
What's strange about this year's crop of "bubble" teams is that no specific school really demands a spot. UK should be in but outside of that demented fanbase, will anyone be that upset? Same goes for Ohio State, Villanova, Arizona State, Illinois State and those others.

Ohio State fans would tip some cars, yeah.

Amen to Tenn vs. Ark today. That was just a magnificent display of basketball at the highest level, unlike the various dreck we've seen in the Big 10 tourney and some games in the Big East tourney. Seriously, this was like watching a 1990s UK vs. Arkansas game. It should have been the final, instead now we get an ultra shit jobber like UGA trying to take someone's bid tomorrow.

I want to see Kentucky out, just to see the meltdown that would ensue on Catspause and the epic 4Chan Thread that will be started.

As for the other teams in question....

Ohio State - It'll make me happy if they're left out.

Villanova - As a Big East Fan, I want them in. As someone who tries to be as fair as possible...They should stay home. Especially after St. Joes loss in the A-10 Final.

Arizona State - They need to be left out. Seriously, they need to get the fuck out.

Illinois State - I would love to see them in, but that 30 point blowout is just too fresh.

I agree with those saying Tenn won't be a one seed, but just to play defiant biased Tennessee fan, here's a point Coach Pearl made in the postgame tonight.

Apparently the RPI is not only a ranking for a particular year but an actual calculated number. According to Pearl, Tennessee's current RPI is the second highest RPI heading into the Tourney in the last FIFTEEN years, only behind Duke in 1999. I know the committee puts primo stock in the RPI, so I think, especially considering the quality of the game we lost today, that we still have a chance.

Guest Beastalentier
Illinois State - I would love to see them in, but that 30 point blowout is just too fresh.

I like that in college basketball, people have a soft spot for small schools and the idea that anything can happen, as opposed to last bowl season, where merely entertaining the concept of Boise State in a BCS game was an affront to organized sport.

The importance of the RPI has been greatly devalued in the last two years. Before 2006 no RPI Top 30 team had ever been left out but in the last two seasons the committee has left out three RPI Top 30 teams.

The importance of the RPI has been greatly devalued in the last two years. Before 2006 no RPI Top 30 team had ever been left out but in the last two seasons the committee has left out three RPI Top 30 teams.

Still bitter about Hofstra's 2006 snub.

If Illinois State gets in I will not be happy. No signature wins, NONE.

I wish Dayton would get a closer look by the committee, I am a Homer for them, and I am not sure they pass the eyeball test, but they have tremendous numbers, good wins, and dealt with injuries to multiple top players. I can live with the three bad losses argument.

I like that in college basketball, people have a soft spot for small schools and the idea that anything can happen, as opposed to last bowl season, where merely entertaining the concept of Boise State in a BCS game was an affront to organized sport.

Boise State wasn't... Hawaii was.

I blame the basketball upset mentality on Hoosiers.

And BYU lost to UNLV in the Mountain West Finals... stupid Cougars.

Guest Beastalentier

No, I remember people here last year who were otherwise disinterested (that word means "nonpartisan") in the Fiesta Bowl, rooting for Oklahoma to silence the masses who liked the idea of a non-establishment team succeeding and throwing off the system that was good enough fer paw and good enough fer me. This contingent was doubled or tripled when Hawaii played Georgia, though, so we'll take a split decision on this one.

Cal State Fullerton is going to the dance !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

First time since 1978

:D :headbang: :cheers:

I can't wait to go to school on Monday. Though the evil 4-letter empire is predicting that we'd be playing Duke in the first round which has me worried.

I know it's early and it'll depend on the actual match-ups but which likely #1 seed (Memphis, UNC, Big 12 Winner, UCLA) will be the most vulnerable to the inevitable mega-upset? It has to happen at some point.

I would say Memphis, because they can't shoot free throws. Any team that can stay with them has a shot.

They went for over 70% in the CUSA tourney. If that translates to the National Tourney, then their major weaknesses is gone, and that'll make them a very good Final Four Candidate.

First time since 1978

I can't wait to go to school on Monday. Though the evil 4-letter empire is predicting that we'd be playing Duke in the first round which has me worried.

That would be great if Fullerton got Duke

I started chanting "We want Duke!" when the game ended. I believe Duke would be a good match-up since both teams play a similar style.

However I want anyone but Stanford or any other team that is really big.

I still think Tennessee will somehow get a 1. They are still #1 in the RPI and who exactly is going to replace them? I know Texas beat them head to head, but TX also has some weird losses. Kansas has nowhere near the SOS that Tennessee has.

Anyway, I think UCLA is the current #1 seed most likely to lose early since I just dislike that crappy Ben Howland style of play. Honestly it is a drawback that hurts some very talented players. Playing these ugly 65-64 type games might get you to a FF, but you can't win the title with it and it also leaves you open for an upset.

Of the teams who could get a 1, Tennessee certainly could go down in the 2nd round. They are fun to watch but can't play D for shit, so a dangerous 8/9 team could give them a fit. After all, they lost to Arkansas yesterday and ARK is basically an 8/9 type team.

For anyone interested, I went ahead and created a Smartmarks.com group on ESPN's Tournament Challenge:

Since today the NCAA Brackets come out, I figured I'll go ahead and post the information to my ESPN Tournament Challenge group:

Go to games.espn.go.com

Fill out up to 10 brackets for the 2008 Tournament Challenge

When you are finished, click on the join/create groups option

Look for "TheSmartMarks.com"

The password is "tsm2008"

Join up and prepare to be defeated!

Let's get a bunch of people in this one!

First time since 1978

That would be great if Fullerton got Duke

I started chanting "We want Duke!" when the game ended. I believe Duke would be a good match-up since both teams play a similar style.

However I want anyone but Stanford or any other team that is really big.

I take it you're went to CSUF?

Once the brackets come out Diamond, maybe put a seperate page up for this. I mean, I'd like to join but I'm not going to until after the brackets or until tomorrow, really... and I just think this might get lost in the shuffle.