TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Scroby

WWE General Discussion - March 2008

Last year's Wrestlemania was the first PPV I ordered in years. The only thing stopping me from ordering this year is that I already ordered the Rumble. I can't keep plunking down $40 a month on wrestling shows.

Yikes, the last pay-per-view I ordered was Summerslam 2005. The one before that was Vengeance 2004.

They are too expensive, and I only feel like it if I have a big group of people to share the cost, and barely anyone I hang out with likes wrestling anymore, or at least enough to get a pay-per-view.

Though they are perfectly willing to drop 10 bucks for a general admission ticket to Ring of Honor.

K, I just read that on Raw tonight it's going to be Windham and RotundA vs Sheik and Volkoff. WHAT?

That's a rematch from, what? WM2, I believe.

This is in Milwaukee tonight. I should have gone. Ah well. My entertainment budget has been stretched somewhat thin, and I'm probably going to order WM with a friend and split it with him.

K, I just read that on Raw tonight it's going to be Windham and RotundA vs Sheik and Volkoff. WHAT?

They're doing a WrestleMania Rewind theme for the 3 hour show. All the matches are repeats from past Manias. This is a throwback to WMI.

Regarding the rumors of Ashley Massaro being sent home, there appears to be something to it. She was said to be in "bad shape" at the catering room backstage at Raw a few weeks ago and was sent home as a result. She's also injured at the moment, but that's said to be a cover reason. Massaro isn't expected back anytime soon.

wrestling observer newsletter

This is a much stronger card then last year.

Let's compare.

Wrestlemania XXIII

Money in the Bank

Mr. Kennedy, Matt Hardy, Jeff Hardy, Randy Orton, Finlay, Punk, and Booker T

Wrestlemania XXIV

Mr. Kennedy, Jeff Hardy, Carlito, Chris Jericho, Shelton Benjamin, MVP, Kane* and unannounced*

*Purely speculation and the final spot is open for a variety of people from Punk, Kingston, Henry, Palumbo, Burke, Chavo and perhaps Matt Hardy*

The Money in the Bank concept is fairly simple and easy to execute but we saw a concise difference in quality from the first and most recent editions from the one that occurred in between. Sure, it’s merely a spot fest but an exciting one to say the least. The most important element that will put this year’s edition ahead of last year is that this is an absolute coronation of sorts for Jeff Hardy, whom some people still feel was deserving of a higher spot on this years card but was a victim of poor timing. Last year didn’t offer that but it wasn’t exactly wide open. It was essentially between Edge and Kennedy. Just as this year’s version will most likely be winnable by Jeff Hardy and a dark horse in the eyes of the fans, Jericho. The idea of Kennedy chasing consecutive MITB is a good addition as well as potentially bringing back 3 of the original participants of the best MITB yet (Jericho, Benjamin and Kane). The other three are either in TNA, this year’s main event or deceased.

The most important element to this match is creativity and the involvement of guys like Benjamin and Carlito will put that on display. MVP, like Orton and Booker last year will be an intriguing element since he doesn’t seem to suit this match. This isn’t to say that last year was a poor selection of talent or a lackluster event because it wasn’t. Hopefully, they will cease to do any unnecessary spots such as last year’s memorable but supremely risky spot with Jeff and Edge. As it stands, I feel that this match will be at the very least, equal to last year and quite capable of surpassing it.

WMXXIII

Great Khali Vs Kane

WMXXIV

Umaga Vs Batista

This is an absolute upgrade from last year. Umaga and Batista have a good chance to put on a very fun and entertaining brawl and perhaps even a passable wrestling match. Even if these two perform to their absolute least, it’ll still better then last year’s SD/Raw spectacle offering.

WMXXIII

US Title: Chris Benoit Vs MVP

WMXIV

ECW Title: Chavo Guerrero Vs CM Punk*

*Another match purely based on speculation and used for possible comparison*

This is a essentially a dead heat. Each match featured a tenured veteran against a young emerging talent with an extended period of build but that’s essentially where the similarities end. MVP/Benoit was something of a disappointment considering the much better quality they produced at the end of the feud. If this match does occur, which is a reach at this point; this would be the conclusion to a relatively long running feud. (3 and ½ months is long these days) Most likely, CM Punk ends up in the MITB and Chavo doesn’t make the card at all (it’s certainly not the first time that a mid-card title holder doesn’t appear on WM). However, if it does obtain a spot, it’ll compare well with last year’s mid-card singles title match of the same nature.

WMXXIII

Originals Vs New Breed

WMXXIV

Shawn Michaels Vs Ric Flair

These were the non title, non-spectacle matches of their respective cards, although one can effectively argue that Shawn/Flair and the strong probability of it being Flair’s swan song is more of a spectacle then anything else. For comparison’s sake, I’ll keep these two linked. The ECW 8 man was a filler match, Shawn-Flair will not be a filler match and perhaps it’ll be a true WM classic.

WMXXIII

Umaga (with McMahon) Vs Lashley (with Trump), Special Referee: Austin

WMXXIV

Floyd Mayweather Jr. Vs Big Show

I will give the edge to last year’s event purely for that it attracted more mainstream attention then Mayweather has garnered at this point. The big negative of last year’s match is that Lashley and Umaga were secondary acts to Trump, Austin and McMahon. The match wasn’t enthralling and the post match antics dragged on for eternity and to make it all worthless, the stunner spot on Trump was horribly botched and that’s what a great majority of the nation saw of that entire feud. However, until TBS/Mayweather step it up in the mainstream attention department, it can’t measure up to last year.

WMXXIII

Lumber Jill Match: Ashley Vs Melina

WMXIV

Bunny Mania/Lumber Jill Match: Melina Vs Maria Vs Beth Vs Candice

Anything that keeps Ashley out of the ring is a big plus. The involvement of Playboy at WM is now a WM staple but it’s good that they managed not to waste more time with it and found a way to integrate it into a more pleasant option.

WMXXIII

X

WMXXIV

Finlay Vs JBL

There isn’t a direct comparison to be made here, so consider this a bonus if they can keep the Hornswoggle tripe to a minimum and let these guys have a great brawl where they are quite proficient.

WMXXIII

Shawn Michaels Vs John Cena

WMXXIV

John Cena Vs Triple H Vs Randy Orton

The match-up probably won’t be as polished as it as last year but the booking has been slightly more expertly crafted. The heat for John Cena at WM is always a event in itself and the addition of Orton and HHH whom draw very definant reactions as well will elevate the crowd enthusiasm level to new heights. The uncertainty of the result is an advantage for the triple threat.

WMXXIII

Undertaker-Batista

WMXXIV

Edge Vs Undertaker

This is a toss-up. The booking for Edge’s turn at usurping the UT has been poorly handled in comparison to Batista. Batista felt like a genuine threat. They haven’t built that, um, edge, to this particular match up. UT/Batista, out of motivation and pure chemistry put on a surprising effort that some argue was the better title match last year. Edge is more skilled then Batista by a good margin but it’s yet to be seen if these two can mesh together. I think they’ll deliver as Edge and Taker often do at this event.

Some notes from the Observer:

Brian Gewirtz came up with the Wrestlemania Rewind idea.

The current plan is for Umaga vs. Batista to have a controversial ending, with Umaga going to Smackdown to continue the program.

The changes to the Hornswoggle angle are as a result of ongoing campaigning from "almost everyone" in creative, regarding the time wasted on the angle and the generally poor quarters the angle had been doing. It was thought that Vince would keep going with it just to prove people wrong, as many had been adamant from the beginning that it was a bad idea. The writers were also complaining about having to come up with show long material every week to keep the angle going, when they didn't think it was building ratings and that it was taking time away from things that could help PPV. While not outright saying the angle was wrong, Stephanie was diplomatically expressing concern about where the angle could go in the long-term.

The industry news section on WWE.com was a Vince call. Michael Cole was replaced as the top guy on the website by a new editor, who suggested a number of 'wacky' ideas to Vince over the site, all of which were nixed. Vince then decided that WWE.com was going to be the destination of every wrestling fans who want real news. One person was hired to be in charge of the Industry News section, described (to Dave) as a casual fan who is a fish out of water in his position. The stories he picks to post have to be cleared by creative so the wrong story doesn't get posted.

Punk is back the doghouse for the same reasons he's always been in and out; they don't like his style, they think he's a mark (which Dave describes as "the all encompassing term when you can't really point to anything but someone bugs you because he acts like he's a star when others think he's not"), and he's got bad agent reports over his work, with him being called inconsistent and sloppy.

Regarding the rumors of Ashley Massaro being sent home, there appears to be something to it. She was said to be in "bad shape" at the catering room backstage at Raw a few weeks ago and was sent home as a result. She's also injured at the moment, but that's said to be a cover reason. Massaro isn't expected back anytime soon.

wrestling observer newsletter

Good riddance, she's not skilled in anything really (mic skills, in ring, charisma, etc) and she appears to like meth or something, judging by her deteriorating look as of late. Treatment is probably next....

I wonder if they can put together any other matches using the road agents...

On second thought, I don't think they can. Heck, I can't even find a match they can use Jim Duggan for, unless Ted DiBiase is wrestling tonight (Rematch from WMIV).

I wonder if they can put together any other matches using the road agents...

On second thought, I don't think they can. Heck, I can't even find a match they can use Jim Duggan for, unless Ted DiBiase is wrestling tonight (Rematch from WMIV).

Skinner's only WM match was against Owen Hart at WM8. For obvious reasons, that ain't happening.

Ashely is of no use to the wwe anymore - she's posed nekked.

Punk should thank his lucky stars that Heyman was booked his debut and did it in ROH country. His debut made him out to be a big deal and fans have latched on. I don't understand exactly why he's over to the extent he is with non-ROH watching wwe fans - he has had as many bad matches as he has had good ones, his mic work has been paint by numbers since he debuted. I guess it's his different look and natural charisma more than anything else at this time. I think he's a lock to get drafted to either SD! or Raw. And while that might politically hurt him in that there is a host of veterans he could job to, it should also help him in the ring to work with some wily ring vets on a nightly basis. I mean remember when Punk and Mickey James debuted as a punk rock pairing that I believe ended up getting cut from a Heat (or did it air?)...

I still like the idea that Ken Kennedy is Vince's bastard son. Hornswoggle was sort of amusing, but it's more than run it's course.

After watching that goddawful pedigree on Kane tonight i'm thinking that Triple H needs a new finisher. I remember when the move looked really cool back in the day but now it just looks really REALLY bad almost everytime he delivers it.

After watching that goddawful pedigree on Kane tonight i'm thinking that Triple H needs a new finisher. I remember when the move looked really cool back in the day but now it just looks really REALLY bad almost everytime he delivers it.

Kane never takes the Pedigree properly.

The current plan is for Umaga vs. Batista to have a controversial ending, with Umaga going to Smackdown to continue the program.

The changes to the Hornswoggle angle are as a result of ongoing campaigning from "almost everyone" in creative, regarding the time wasted on the angle and the generally poor quarters the angle had been doing. It was thought that Vince would keep going with it just to prove people wrong, as many had been adamant from the beginning that it was a bad idea. The writers were also complaining about having to come up with show long material every week to keep the angle going, when they didn't think it was building ratings and that it was taking time away from things that could help PPV. While not outright saying the angle was wrong, Stephanie was diplomatically expressing concern about where the angle could go in the long-term.

The industry news section on WWE.com was a Vince call. Michael Cole was replaced as the top guy on the website by a new editohaters !!

?r, who suggested a number of 'wacky' ideas to Vince over the site, all of which were nixed. Vince then decided that WWE.com was going to be the destination of every wrestling fans who want real news. One person was hired to be in charge of the Industry News section, described (to Dave) as a casual fan who is a fish out of water in his position. The stories he picks to post have to be cleared by creative so the wrong story doesn't get posted.

Punk is back the doghouse for the same reasons he's always been in and out; they don't like his style, they think he's a mark (which Dave describes as "the all encompassing term when you can't really point to anything but someone bugs you because he acts like he's a star when others think he's not"), and he's got bad agent reports over his work, with him being called inconsistent and sloppy.

bullshit backstage politics

1- he is over

2- he can wrestle

3- he is good on the mic

whats the fuking problem

Is anybody else not really interested in Wrestlemania this year like me? The card looks like crap and one of the matches I was really looking forward to was Matt Hardy Vs. MVP and they scrapped it for whatever dumb reason.

When was the last time you guys were really excited for Wrestlemania going in? For me, I'd say 22.

It's Flair's final match. If you aren't watching...I don't know what to say to you.

We all know that this WILL NOT be Flairs last match

Vince is getting a star on the Walk of Fame (Edit: Raw started late in Canada and I fell asleep before they announced this, sorry about that).

Vince McMahon will join an esteemed list of celebrities and entertainers this week, when the WWE Chairman will be immortalized with a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.

WWE would like to extend an invitation to our fans to attend Mr. McMahon’s ceremony on Friday in Hollywood, Calif. The Chairman’s star will be located at 6801 Hollywood Blvd., next to Hollywood and Highland, near the famed Grauman’s Chinese Theatre. The ceremony begins promptly at 11:30 a.m. PT.

Founded by the Hollywood Chamber of Commerce in 1958, the Walk of Fame's terrazzo and brass stars are designed to honor those who have contributed significantly in the categories of television, radio, motion pictures, recording and live performance.

Stay tuned to WWE.com for more information on Mr. McMahon’s Hollywood Walk of Fame event as details become available.

Kane never takes the Pedigree properly.

Phineas Godwinn does a really bad sell for it on the Raw currently up on 24/7 too - probably as bad or maybe worse than any of Kane's.

The industry news section on WWE.com was a Vince call. Michael Cole was replaced as the top guy on the website by a new editohaters !!

?r, who suggested a number of 'wacky' ideas to Vince over the site, all of which were nixed. Vince then decided that WWE.com was going to be the destination of every wrestling fans who want real news. One person was hired to be in charge of the Industry News section, described (to Dave) as a casual fan who is a fish out of water in his position. The stories he picks to post have to be cleared by creative so the wrong story doesn't get posted.

bullshit backstage politics

1- he is over

2- he can wrestle

3- he is good on the mic

whats the fuking problem

I think you might have just answered your own question. He's over in spite of all that's been done to prevent it from happening. Jealously is a cruel bitch goddess.

If you guys want to see a really bad Pedigree, look at the one he gave HBK when he turned on him in 2002. In all honesty, HBK was still "injured' at the time, and HHH was doing all he could to protect him, but it still looked rough.

I can buy all of that. He is really inconsistent, one week he'll go out and have a great match and get a great reaction, the next his kicks'll look like shit and he'll nosedive from the ring onto his head twice and risk injuring himself or something stupid like that. And I can certainly buy into Punk thinking he's a star.

But everybody should know by now, 'Punk is in the doghouse' stories are a dime a dozen and don't mean anything. It's like every fortnight one of the reports will trot this out.

My coworker always lies about his personal experiences, and sometimes it spills over to the WWE and UFC (Of which the only 3 names he knows are Tank Abbott, Ken Shamrock, and Dan Severn) Oh yeah and all the Bill Goldburg MMA fights he has seen. Well last night he delivered a classic lie I had to share:

"I was watching Pros vs Joes and Kurt Angle was on there doing mma fights aganist the Joes and he won aganist all of them, until he got to the last guy. He lost to the last guy in 5 seconds cause the producers didn't check this guy's back ground.... It was Duke "The Dumpster" Drose, and Dumpster got trained in MMA by Bill Goldburg.

I managed not to laugh.