TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Scroby

WWE General Discussion - March 2008

Well...being over isn't a reason to be given the title at all..Let's say RVD or Jeff Hardy got the titiles when they were at their best...What then?

They certainly can't do much in terms of making the stories behind the matches any good. I think if either one of those guys got the title, there would be the big moment when they won, but the months to follow would be awful. The only guy that can get over as champ without talking much is Taker. I think as soon as Hardy or RVD won the strap, they would have realized it was a bad idea, because the whole idea of wrestling, is storytelling. I think it would have been just like when Randy Orton won the title in 2004. It was great when it happend, but they soon realized that at the time, he wasn't the one for the job.

I see that this guy is now banned, but I wanted to reply to his post. While he is right, pro wrestling is all about story telling, it takes more than one wrestler to just tell the story about a match. It does take much more than one person. One person just helps makes the storyline work. If you have 4 wrestlers and 1 ref in the ring, then the 4 wrestlers and 1 Ref helps tell a story, but then there's always the booker/promoter who basically creates the story being told. So while I understand what Pongkong means, there's a lot more to making something work in wrestling than just one person. It takes many things to make something fail.

While RVD had a bit of trouble with his Mic work, you can't deny how over he was weather he was in or outside the ring. RVD could have been a great champion pretty much just based off that. When you have a fanbase like the one RVD has, they're most likely going to buy more into his matches than other people. RVD as a babyface champion, booked correctly, would have made a lot of money. Even RVD as a babyface chasing after a heel champion for a few months would have made a lot of money just based on how over he was.

I wanted to reply too, but I'm not quoting him.

If the fans are willing to look past poor workrate or lackluster promo-cutting skills to chant your name for no apparent reason (that is, with no prompting, or with open-ended prompting that wasn't directly designed to get a chant for one person) during a potential title chase, why would they not be willing to look past those same attributes during a title reign?

Van Dam's always a guy that marched to the beat of his own drum. RVD is not stupid enough to know that by the time WWE stopped dicking around and gave him the WWE title in 2006, it was too late to make any real money off of it and no one really cared. I don't think he was too happy either about being lied to by Vince McMahon about what the ECW re-launch was going to be. He also knew he was just keeping the belt warm for when Cena would get it back. I'm defending at all what he did because it is stupid and irresponsible, but I'm just trying see how he'd probably rationalize it. I seriously doubt that if they had done what they could have done in 2002, Van Dam would have been the first legit star in the post-Austin/Rock era and he wouldn't have put himself in the situation he put himself in during '06.

And to say RVD was nothing more than a mid-card-for-life guy is asinine. You don't keep a guy with that kind of charisma and the ability to hold the crowd in your hands like RVD had in the mid-card (unless you just don't want to make money and give preferential treatment to people who don't deserve it).

GREAT POST

AND NOW THUTHINESS IS ADDING RVD TO HIS LIST OF CHRISTIAN, HBK AND ANGLE AS BAD WRESTLERS / WORKERS ??!!

LMMFAO

THIS GUY IS NUTS

Yeah, but RVD was working a style a WWE didn't really suit a WWE maineventer. Plus, a lot of guys were already saying he couldn't work, it wasn't just Triple H. People like Jericho, Angle, and Austin seemed to feel the same way about Rob, Rob's style isn't one you could polish like Batista. Like Pong said, he can't tell a story in the ring, and he's pretty awful at everything but jumping high. I mean yeah, it wouldn't have hurt to give him a run with the title, but it wouldn't have helped either in my opinion. He still would've had the same bad matches he had, with the same guys he ended up wrestling anyway.

Get some old tapes of matches between RVD / LANCE STORM -- RVD/ JERRY LYNN and them come back to see if u can type what you just did

The Three Way will be the main event, obviously. We need another WrestleMania to end with Cena getting someone to tap out and hear the crowd collectively groan.

lolz

exactly !

Van Dam's always a guy that marched to the beat of his own drum. RVD is not stupid enough to know that by the time WWE stopped dicking around and gave him the WWE title in 2006, it was too late to make any real money off of it and no one really cared. I don't think he was too happy either about being lied to by Vince McMahon about what the ECW re-launch was going to be. He also knew he was just keeping the belt warm for when Cena would get it back. I'm defending at all what he did because it is stupid and irresponsible, but I'm just trying see how he'd probably rationalize it. I seriously doubt that if they had done what they could have done in 2002, Van Dam would have been the first legit star in the post-Austin/Rock era and he wouldn't have put himself in the situation he put himself in during '06.

And to say RVD was nothing more than a mid-card-for-life guy is asinine. You don't keep a guy with that kind of charisma and the ability to hold the crowd in your hands like RVD had in the mid-card (unless you just don't want to make money and give preferential treatment to people who don't deserve it).

GREAT POST

AND NOW THUTHINESS IS ADDING RVD TO HIS LIST OF CHRISTIAN, HBK AND ANGLE AS BAD WRESTLERS / WORKERS ??!!

LMMFAO

THIS GUY IS NUTS

RVD is very good, but he's not a great worker. I agree with the majority on the others (being good; not great) but people seem to be misinterpreting Truthiness' post.

Why do wrestlers get a tattoo on their ring finger, or tape the rings like Kennnedy does now?

Shawn Michaels, Jericho, Hogan and a few others have tattoo's on their ring fingers

Just wondering

Why do wrestlers get a tattoo on their ring finger, or tape the rings like Kennnedy does now?

Shawn Michaels, Jericho, Hogan and a few others have tattoo's on their ring fingers

Just wondering

Pretty sure it is their way of replacing their wedding bands (which they probably don't want to be punching each other with) with an alternative form of permanent symbol of marriage.

Here is one thing about RVD that the crowd accusing him of being a bad worker never bother to answer: If the guy is such crap, why is it that he seemingly had the match of the night on virtually every Raw in 2001-02? Why is it even with the hugely babyface hating crowd in WM in Chicago RVD was one of the most over guys on the show?

Why does every match have to "tell a story" or have great psychology? Hell, most of the story driven matches are a result of the bookers, not the actual wrestlers. If Van Dam had a history of forgetting key moments of booking in a match or not conveying what the booker wanted, I can see this point. The only real weakness with psychology RVD has is when someone works his legs, since he has to use his legs to do a lot of moves.

Yeah, but RVD was working a style a WWE didn't really suit a WWE maineventer. Plus, a lot of guys were already saying he couldn't work, it wasn't just Triple H. People like Jericho, Angle, and Austin seemed to feel the same way about Rob, Rob's style isn't one you could polish like Batista. Like Pong said, he can't tell a story in the ring, and he's pretty awful at everything but jumping high. I mean yeah, it wouldn't have hurt to give him a run with the title, but it wouldn't have helped either in my opinion. He still would've had the same bad matches he had, with the same guys he ended up wrestling anyway.

Get some old tapes of matches between RVD / LANCE STORM -- RVD/ JERRY LYNN and them come back to see if u can type what you just did

I have those tapes greek, and while they're fun matches, they're nothing more than a typical mastabatory indy spotfest.

As much as I like RVD, I have to say that I never got the big deal about the RVD/Lynn matches. Maybe it's because I've never cared about Jerry Lynn at all.

Or that maybe in the feud, they should have had a few title changes. RVD won every single match, and the feud became boring.

(I know Jerry Lynn probably won a match, but RVD won all the matches that mattered...and it became boring for me)

Well, Smackdown was always the better show until 2004. I rarely watched RAW because of HHH, so I probably would have watched RAW if RVD was champ. Only because it was something different, though. Never was emotionally invested in him, though.

Give me a break. Van Dam was so well recieved that he was beating Steve Austin clean and in main events for the WWF Title just three months after he debuted. Where was John Cena three months after he debuted? Jobbing to Reverend D-Von on Velocity?

I think you do have to factor in that RVD was already well known to wrestling audiences due to being one of ECW's main players for some time. Cena was coming in cold to anyone who didn't follow OVW. I mean, I'm in the crowd of 'RVD should have been given a chance at the top', but you've got to have some context of history if you're making a statement like that.

I wish people would've never learned the term "X Pac heat", because I don't think they know what it means. It has become a cop out defense for people to make up arguments for wrestlers (mostly heels) they don't like. If a heel gets booed, it's "X Pac heat", but if a heel gets cheered he's over, he's not a shitty heel. That kind of annoys me.

Am I wrong in thinking that PongKong was what WP was posting under? He's been bragging for a while that he has been posting over here for a year and a half without any of us figuring it out.

I love RVD. He probably is one of my favorite wrestlers of all time, but I'm with most as far as how good of a worker he is. He's a spot monkey, and I'm okay with that. That's the type of matches that I enjoy.

The Weather Channel's current forecast for Sunday, March 30 (WM24) in Orlando, FL is calling for Scattered Thunderstorms with a 60% chance of rain during the day. At night, the forecast calls for clouds with a 10% chance of rain. A structure will be built above the ringside area to block the wrestlers and announcers from the potential rain. The live audience won't be as lucky.

He should cite his source if he's going to C/P.

Exactly. I can't stress this enough. CREDIT YOUR SOURCES. Don't pass off shit without telling us who wrote it. Make it clear that it is NOT your writing.