TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
slabinskia

Lets Talk About...

I thought I would stick with the wrestlemania theme. This remains the best top to bottom wrestlemania card imo. Does everyone else still hold this show in the same regard as they did 7 years ago ?

Like I said in another one of these Let's Talk About...threads (I'm thinking it was the WMV one), it's much more interesting for me to talk about mediocre or crappy WrestleManias than the good ones for some reason. This was just a really good WrestleMania. Probably the best. Almost all of the matches were good and even the ones that weren't were short.

And I fear this board may become oversaturated with these "Let's Talk About..." threads.

Let's talk about the "Let's Talk About" threads. I remember the Let's talk about thread about Wrestlemania 2. I loved the way Al started the thread, it gave it a nice flow, and the posts, wow, not your ordinary run of the mill garbage we usually see.

My guilty pleasure of WM17 came during the gimmick battle royal. Seeing Michael Hayes come out to "Badstreet USA" in front of a Texas crowd was awesome.

I liked the Let's Talk About WrestleMania IV thread best mostly cause I was the one who started it! And incidentally the thread went four pages!

And I agree with Bruiser- we should do one a week maximum. If people really want to start a thread about something, just don't put Let's Talk About... in front of it. I think that's a compromise we can all agree on. And I think the poster of the current "Let's Talk About" thread should pick the poster of next week's "Let's Talk About" thread.

I liked the Let's Talk About WrestleMania IV thread best mostly cause I was the one who started it! And incidentally the thread went four pages!

And I agree with Bruiser- we should do one a week maximum. If people really want to start a thread about something, just don't put Let's Talk About... in front of it. I think that's a compromise we can all agree on. And I think the poster of the current "Let's Talk About" thread should pick the poster of next week's "Let's Talk About" thread.

I believe I waited a week until I posted my "Let's talk about" thread. And mine was awesome as it wasn't about a Wrestlemania.

Guest JuanJoseNYC

Quite simply, WrestleMania X-Seven will go down as the greatest WrestleMania of all-time. WrestleMania XX takes a very close second. X-7 had a match that told a story in each and every single one of them. It was Austin vs. Rock II. Austin receives unannounced help from Vince McMahon and turns heel (an ill-fated turn) The Gimmick Battle Royal was hilarious especially with Gene Okerlund and Bobby Heenan pulling out their stash of catchphrases for one night only. Triple H vs. Undertaker became a coming out party for The Game. In short, if you like title changes, X-Seven featured 5 title changes out of the possible 6 championships that were defended.

Let's not forget that you can really close the whole "Monday Night Wars" chapter in wrestling with Wrestlemania 17.

I just checked the line up for X7, I'd actually forgotten how awesome the show was.

I believe I waited a week until I posted my "Let's talk about" thread. And mine was awesome as it wasn't about a Wrestlemania.

luke-o, you didn't break the rules. It was alkeiper and whoever posted this thread. Bastards!

No it wasn't, they'd wrestled a few times before, including the previous year's Wrestlemania. (Yes, I know that one was a three-way with Jericho, but you didn't say "first singles match".)

X-7 is probably my favorite Mania ever, even despite the dumb Right To Censor matches and the stupid Austin heel turn. Between the massive venue, the big matchups, some goofy comedy, all put together it just worked perfectly. And even though it does feature the aforementioned dumb heel turn, Austin/Rock II might be my favorite Mania main event ever.

Sorry I forgot to mention "singles match" for you then. I seriously don't remember them wrestling in singles competition before WrestleMania. I am sure they did, but I have no recollection of it.

I'd make the argument that aside from the six-week stretch after Wrestlemania X-7, virtually everything from January 2001 to the commencement of the Invasion angle was some of the company's best booking ever. This show is a representation of that, with almost every match and angle not only being of premium quality, but making sense.

This past December on 24/7 was the first time I had watched Taker / HHH in years. I usually FF through it thinking it's overrated and too much of a outside the ring brawl, but I was really into it again so that's good. Raven vs. Kane vs. Big Show is much better than I ever expected - Kane showing off his breaking into fenced cages skill, golf cart spots, wrestlers going through dry wall, fun stuff. And yes, the GBR is one of my WrestleMania guilty pleasures and I can't help but smile everytime I watch it. I actually had the same feeling for the Raw 15th Anniversary battle royal.

At risk of being shunned from the General Wrestling folder, I'm willing to go as far as to say that wrestling wise, 2001 is a little bit better than 2000. They're both great but I just remember 2001 having slightly better midcard filler.

Guest Smues

Best wrestlemania ever, and in my worthless opinion best WWE PPV ever. Sure the Austin turn was stupid, but the crowd popped for it so it didn't hamper my enjoyment of the show. UT/HHH was the shock of 2001 for me not in that it was a good match, but that HHH jobbed. I thought for sure Undertaker's WM streak was over, especially after that sledgehammer shot.

One of my favorite Manias watched live. Me and my friend had so much fun watching the show, and the gimmick battle royal had us marking like little kids. Top to bottom, the best of all time.

Though it loses some luster if you watch it too much. Nothing could top seeing this live on ppv. and yes this time period in WWE was one of the best

"Let's talk about... The US Express Version 2 with Dan Spivey"

OK. I've said it before and I'll say it again. Dan Spivey should have been a much bigger star than he was in this business. Great look, and a great move set. Might not have been a super talker, but he often had a manager anyway. Actually, come to think of it, he was pretty good on the mic as Waylon Mercy. Too bad injuries derailed him.

Now, what's this about this Wrestlemania thing?

Guest lethaldragon
Sorry I forgot to mention "singles match" for you then. I seriously don't remember them wrestling in singles competition before WrestleMania. I am sure they did, but I have no recollection of it.

Insurrextion 2000. That'd be May 6th. For one example.

"Let's talk about... The US Express Version 2 with Dan Spivey"

OK. I've said it before and I'll say it again. Dan Spivey should have been a much bigger star than he was in this business. Great look, and a great move set. Might not have been a super talker, but he often had a manager anyway. Actually, come to think of it, he was pretty good on the mic as Waylon Mercy. Too bad injuries derailed him.

Now, what's this about this Wrestlemania thing?

Agreed. I was a huge Spivey mark.

Waylon Mercy was a great gimmick. Even JR put it over in a recent blog. It's a shame that Spivey's body came out. He could have been big around that time.

I was a fan of the Austin heel turn. To me, it resurrected a stale character. I found him stale but others didn't and that's why it was an ill-fated decision business wise. But I'm glad they did it. Everyone acts like it was shocking but to me it wasn't. I thought the general consences was that he was going to go heel.

Austin/Rock was the most logical main event. I think everyone thought that but there was definitely a feeling of not wanting to see another Austin/Rock match too.

HHH/Taker was real good. They only wrestled each other because they had no other one to fight but it worked very well. Heenan and Mean Gene's return was the highlight of the gimmick battle royal. I remember Test just cracking Guerrero across the face with a big boot.

I recall the Shane vs. Vince garbage match being a very fun brawl. The best part was when the sedated Linda got out of her chair and kicked Vince in the balls.

I also remember a quick shot of 'WCW talent' sitting in a skybox for this match. The previous Monday had been the big Raw/Nitro simulcast.

I agree WMX7 was one of the best ever. Hovever, It was overshadowed by the sale of WCW. I really wish the angle with Shane announcing he'd "bought" WCW was done after Wrestlemania, but I do understand that they wanted to add more heat for the Vince vs Shane match.