TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
KGB

NHL Thread, March 2008

It's March now. The Habs are currently in 1st place in the Eastern Conference, which is different. The Leafs are looking strong in the quest for 9th place in the East once again. And holy shit, there's already a game ongoing today?

Philadelphia Flyers @ NY Rangers on NBC, started at 12:30 EST, that's the earliest start time I've ever seen for an NHL game.

Flyers v. Rags was a very entertaining game.

Bruins have five games this week, which will be their true barometer of whether or not they're going to stick around. All of the games are against beatable teams, and three of them are at home. They're 7-0-1 in their last eight and the rumors continue to swirl that Patrice Bergeron could be back for them if they make the playoffs. There's also a slight chance that Manny Fernandez could be back this season. They're currently 6th in the East, with the tiebreaker over the Rags, and only 4 points behind Ottawa.

And the Flyers continue to struggle against the Rangers. I hate it when division teams have periods of dominance over other teams. Devils and Rangers have just lambasted the Flyers, whereas the Flyers can handle the Islanders and Penguins pretty well.

Guest Michael Myers Resplendent

Favorite Team Report:

The Black Hawks are finally starting to show some needed physicality in recent games, but it's too little/too late. If key players had asserted themselves earlier in the season, say November and December, maybe they would've been able to prevent some of the major injuries that amassed for this team: at one point I believe there were nine guys on injured reserve. Another item on the shopping list will have to be an imposing enforcer to keep opponents from attempting to take liberties with our precious Toews/Kane/Sharp. Find one, develop one, just keep the stars safe. Adam Burish gets pretty chippy when it comes to defending teammates, but doesn't seem to really strike fear in anyone's heart. Dustin Byfuglien looks like he'd be a good goon at first, but he's more of a skill player upon closer inspection, and doesn't seem like he's interested in enforcing. Wisniewski, Seabrook, and Barker have all shown flashes of physical brilliance in recent games, but we have higher hopes for Seabrook and Barker than that. For all the talk about how the Stu Grimsons and Bob Proberts of the world have no place in The New NHL, I think that the Hawks, as currently constructed, are in a prime position to spend a roster spot on a good old-fashioned goon.

Also: 4-1 win over Vancouver, three games out of a playoff spot behind the Avalanche and three places that shouldn't be hosting the NHL, goals by Ladd, Kane, Sharp, and Kane again, assists from Kane, Toews, Keith, and Williams.

Patrick Kane: still the frontrunner for the Calder? 16 goals, 39 assists.

Patrick Sharp: deserving of something, in my opinion. 32 goals, 18 assists, +17 differential, 7 short-handed goals, 7 game-winners. We've got something here.

Kane could still win the Calder, but there is Mike Green from Washington and if Carey Price continues his tear, he can also win too.

Guest Beastalentier

Count Bettman is in Chicago for a press conference tomorrow. I expect him to announce:

1) Now that the Black Hawks have turned a new corner in the organ-i-zation, they will host a Winter Classic at Soldier Field

2) Now that the Black Hawks have turned a new corner in the organ-i-zation, they will host a Winter Classic at Wrigley Field

3) Now that the Black Hawks have turned a new corner in the organ-i-zation, hell is freezing over and I will resign as commissioner

This week and next make one long moment of truth for Chicago. Win over Minnesota, that's great, now Anaheim, S.J., Edmonton, Detroit, Carolina, Columbus. They need at least 9 points of a possible 12 or they revert to evaluation mode for the rest of the month.

It's mind-boggling that I'm even thinking in these terms, but...

The Senators are only seven points up on ninth place right now. :ph34r:

Sorry to salt your wound, but you probably began thinking about that when you noticed the Sens no longer had home-ice advantage.

I love watching Alex Ovechkin play as much as the next guy, but TSN really needs to tone it down on their lovefest for the guy. I think Gino Reda would have his baby if he was asked nicely.

See, now why can't the Leafs do something like that?

Ask and ye shall receive. 5-1 Leafs after two.

:(

Bruins have been outscored 16-3 in three games, and this one's not even over yet.

Did I ever bring up the pre-season bet my grandfather and I made? He's a Leafs fan, and has said every year as long as I can remember "This is the year." This year when he said it, I countered with the Sens, and he said he thought the Sens were on their way down. Our bet was then made: 24 Blue if the Sens missed the playoffs, another 12 if the Leafs finish ahead of them. I gave him a chance in February to renege, and he didn't. Now, there's a little egg on my face.

Big win for Philly last night, giving them a little cushion.

Corry Perry out six weeks with a laceration on his leg.

How about Sergei Samsonov, in 23 games he has 26 points.

Guest Beastalentier

:( Worthless bastard. I don't think Europeans do well under Denis Savard. Lang is in the doghouse, and Ruutu was sent out of town as well.

Hey, tonight is Bobby Hull & Stan Mikita Night! Big big game against the Sharks coming off Weds. night's Corey Crawford shutout. The race for 8th place continues!

Don't look now, but the Rangers have collected points in 11 straight and are only four points out of first in the Atlantic. What's going to be awesome is that something like their final 8 games are against divisional opponents.