TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
bob_barron

Broadway Brett beats retirement!

Agent: Packers QB Brett Favre will retire after 17 seasons

By CHRIS JENKINS, AP Sports Writer

34 minutes ago

(AP)—Green Bay Packers quarterback Brett Favre has decided to retire from the NFL after 17 seasons.

“He has had one of the greatest careers in the history of the National Football League, and he is able to walk away from the game on his own terms— not many players are able to do that,” Packers general manager Ted Thompson said Tuesday.

Favre’s agent Bus Cook said the 38-year-old quarterback told him of his decision Monday night.

“Nobody pushed Bret Favre out the door, but then nobody encouraged him not to go out that door, either,” Cook said by phone from his Hattiesburg, Miss., office.

FOX Sports first reported Tuesday that the three-time MVP planned to retire.

Associated Press Writer Ron Harris in Jackson, Miss., contributed to this report.

Next year will be interesting.....especially since we're playing the AFC South.

I'm just so depressed right now, I didnt want this to happen. This is just as bad when I found out Steve Yzerman was retiring but even worse because Favre has played EVERY game for the packers since 92 so games without him now will take some time tp get used too.

Guest Beastalentier

Matt Millen runs the Lions + the Packers don't have Favre + the Bears are rebuilding = Vikings take the North with 9 wins, maybe even 8.

Guest Vitamin X

Wow. This is going to be really weird to watch the games. Horrible to think that the last memory of him is going to be the biggest choke of his entire career. He started his career with an interception for a score, and ended it just the same, in the worst possible way. So everything's on Rodgers now, and I'm excited to see what the kid can do, especially after his good showing last year in Dallas. Again, it's just going to be really weird watching the Packers with a different quarterback, especially one that can get on the injury list.

Thanks Brett, but I think you made the right choice. Time to move on.

Guest Tzar Lysergic

I have a tremendous amount of respect for him and his career, but I'd be a liar if I'd posted anything but that picture.

Guest Beastalentier

I hope the "Brett Favre jersey + camouflage pants + boots" look never goes out of style as acceptable apparel for Friday Fish Fry, Catholic Church Bingo, and your daughter's high school graduation.

I hope the "Brett Favre jersey + camouflage pants + boots" look never goes out of style as acceptable apparel for Friday Fish Fry, Catholic Church Bingo, and your daughter's high school graduation.

Walworth County Fashion.

Its going to be weird to see someone else under center for the Packers after all these years. Hell, I don't remember the Packers without Brett Favre its been that long.

So, what does Green Bay do with the 30th pick in the draft now? Do they go with a quaterback now? I'm not to familiar with the Pack, so I don't really know their needs outside of quaterback.

A sad day, but at least he made them good again before he left. This is much easier to take now than it would have been after the 4-12 season a couple of years ago.

So everything's on Rodgers now, and I'm excited to see what the kid can do, especially after his good showing last year in Dallas.

I'm more concerned about his fragility instead of his ability.

It's true that his last play was a pick-six, but he managed to steal some of the limelight from the Imperial Soldiers from Foxboro during the season and at least went out havin' fun.

Obviously as a Lions' fan I'm glad to see him go. I'm still pretty bitter that Detroit could never beat Favre at Lambeau (even when the Lions fielded playoff teams in the 90s or when the Packers were 4-12 a couple years ago) but what can ya do? Great player, respect him and all that, but I definitely won't shed a tear for him. I'm interested to see how Rodgers does, usually Jeff Tedford QB's don't fare too well in the NFL (Akili Smith, Joey Harrington, Kyle Boller, etc...). I'd like to think that Detroit can be a factor in the NFC North next season with some better players being brought in, but with Millen still in charge, I won't be holding my breath anytime soon.

I hope this doesnt mean we repeat the 70s and 80s shittiness for another couple decades.

I can't imagine why we would. The Packers are still a good young team. Even without Favre they would only need tweaking, not a complete overhaul.

Well, he doesnt have much competition for that title. He was better on the bench than Grossman or Jackson on the field.

Maybe it wont be so bad next season, considering the North competition.

Very sad day to me. I just though this past year was some kind of wild ride and kept waiting for it to end. I thought the NFC Championship was a lock and was heartbroken to see him go out there and choke. I just knew he'd come back to this surging young team that had so much more experience this year and take his best and final shot at it. Seemed like the NFC was getting stronger and the stars were all aligned for him to get it done. Sad to see him go. My favorite NFL player of all time. Thanks for the memories, Brett. what a career.

Guest Vitamin X

As I'd been saying for the past few seasons, the Packers ceased being Favre's team YEARS ago, when Ahman Green was the featured back in Sherman's offense. Last season was an aberration. The shame was that Favre hogged all the media attention instead of other guys on the team who were just as responsible, if not moreso, for the team's success. Is this a sad day? You bet. I'm fucking pissed I blew my only chance to see Brett Favre play live in `06 (when the Packers visited Miami). And I was thinking that with them going to Seattle in `08, I'd get to see it this year, but nope. I'll probably go to Canton for the HOF induction though, in five years.

This doesn't give the NFC North division to anyone, by the way. That division is still the Pack's to lose, until the Vikings learn the art of the forward pass (both doing it and defending against it) the Bears find an offense, and the Lions find a new GM. Depending on how durable and how consistent Rodgers plays though, I'd say Dallas is probably the clear cut favorite in the NFC right now.

Guest Beastalentier

Walworth County Fashion.

That's like every county fashion.