TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
bob_barron

Broadway Brett beats retirement!

Yes, since I am not a Jets fan at all and root for the Saints.

You're still coming across as biased as Matt, though.

Ultimately, both of you are right and wrong......both Farve and the team ownership/management are really at fault here, neither would balk at what they felt was best for Green Bay. I don't think its very wrong or illogical for Farve to want to start again since he did, after all, bring the Pack to the NFC Championship last year. And yes, because he's one of the greatest players, most certainly in Green Bay team history. But it really isn't his call, so he has to be blamed a bit for his attitude since then (especially bringing some more personal issues to the mainstream), but I don't see it anything but a slap in the face of a true icon to suggest that the team he helped build into a competitor and champion once again, he would now have to be a backup QB for. If anyone can't understand that, it's really showing your ignorance towards the situation.

On the flip side, Brett has made it difficult for this to be resolved just as much as Green Bay, and I think letting his revenge inside him demand to be traded more prominently to NFC North teams is kind of tacky. I can understand his frustrations, which leads to his attitude towards this and that, but I was hoping Brett would be a more stand up kind of guy and keep to point.

That pretty much sums it up, Jedediah. As I said before- yes, I am biased, and yes, Favre made mistakes. But I feel that management made bigger mistakes, and if it weren't for those, neither Brett nor the team ever would have been in this situation.

P.S. After all the years he's kicked your team's ass, you'd think you'd know how to spell Favre. :P

That pretty much sums it up, Jedediah. As I said before- yes, I am biased, and yes, Favre made mistakes. But I feel that management made bigger mistakes, and if it weren't for those, neither Brett nor the team ever would have been in this situation.

P.S. After all the years he's kicked your team's ass, you'd think you'd know how to spell Favre. :P

lol, i'm still learning!

And I am still betting Brett to Vikes by the beginning of the season.

FYI, got the ticket to Cali - August 19-29, I'll let you know more when I'll actually be up in LA, flying into SD.

The starting job should be his. Brett's the greatest of all time,. Rodgers has never started a game.

No, he's not and Rodgers deserves a chance. He was supposed to be Favre's replacement. Favre retired, Green Bay moved on.

How am I a horrible fan?

You just said you wanted your football team to go 0-16 out of spite for a guy who had the balls to stand up to a primadonna. You should be punched in the face.

I'm pretty sure the majority of Packers fans want the same

They're blinded by loyalty to a guy past his prime. Guess what? Brett Favre has no loyalty to Green Bay. He wanted to go to an NFC North team to spite the Pack.

You're still coming across as biased as Matt, though.

Because I think Favre's been a total douche in this situation. I don't think he ever wanted to go to Green Bay to begin with. The Packers management hasn't been perfect either, but they've had this guy trying to call their bluff at every turn. And when he doesn't get his way he runs and lies to the media and whines.

I don't see it anything but a slap in the face of a true icon to suggest that the team he helped build into a competitor and champion once again, he would now have to be a backup QB for. If anyone can't understand that, it's really showing your ignorance toward the situation.

I can see why he'd be insulted, but he retired. The Packers move on. Sorry, Brett.

I saw a breakdown of the details of the conditional pick on TV. From what I remember it was a 4th round pick to start with. Becomes a 3rd if Brett plays 50% of all offensive plays, becomes a 2nd if he plays 70% and the Jets make the playoffs, becomes a first if he plays 80% and the Jets make the Super Bowl.

In summary it's a 3rd round pick.

There's apparently some language in the trade that makes it prohibitively costly for the Jets to trade him to the Vikings or anyone else. So Favre is and will continue to be a Jet unless he decides to retire again. Chad Pennington will be cut soon.

I'm stunned. I don't know that the difference in wins and losses with Garcia rather than Favre will be that great (the defense and the running game will carry this team anyway) but I had gotten to the point where I was downright excited about the idea of Favre playing in Tampa. And now...nothing.

Jets fans are getting delirious already. There are a few already mapping out possibilities that the Jets could win the division, or at the very least win a Wild Card and then duplicate what the Giants did last year. It's gonna be awesome hearing them bitch and complain when they still finish at least 2 games out of a postseason spot after spending about $100 million on acquisitions and a 3rd round draft pick on Favre.

Guest Vitamin X

Good riddance to old rubbish. Matt, I like you and all kid, but that is totally dumbassed to wish the Packers go 0-16 if you're really a Packer fan. If you're a Brett Favre fan, have fun jumping board to the Jets; I'll be watching the Green and Gold hopefully get back to the NFC Championship game and beyond.

This is one of the rare instances where bob and I agree completely on the matter. Fuck Favre and his primadonna ass. And, in a typically Wisconsin fashion, there's a "Favre Approval Rating" in the papers there recently and apparently he dipped pretty damn low (like, minus 20% or something, I think?) I don't know, the point is most fans are NOT behind Brett but behind the team. Also, I wanted to address this-

How am I a horrible fan? I want the shitty GM gone.

What in the everloving FUCK'S wrong with you? Ted Thompson is a shitty GM? Are you fucking kidding me? The guy who got the Packers tremendous salary cap relief, who focused on building the draft rather than free agency and has found diamonds in the rough like Greg Jennings, Nick Collins, Daryn Colledge, Jason Spitz, James Jones, Aaron Rouse, and Mason Crosby? Thompson's first pick ever as GM was Aaron Rodgers. To a certain extent, I think he really is gambling his entire job based on that, since the first year he took over he declined to resign Marco Rivera and Mike Wahle, which destroyed the Packers offensive line and made them go 4-12. But on the bright side, the team has quickly rebounded and found considerable depth on defense and offense- There's more decent to great running backs on the roster than we know what to do with, a plethora of receivers good enough to bust out a 5-WR set on multiple occasions last year, and a tough, very deep front seven on defense, and one of the best secondaries in the league. The ONLY question on this team is how well Rodgers can play. And if he fails, we have Brian Brohm and Matt Flynn to give it a shot.

Kid? We're both the same age.

Okay, he's not a shitty GM. But he is at least partially responsible for this whole Favre situation. And yes, I am a Favre fan, but that is because he was the star of the Packers, my favorite team. I am still a Packers fan, and still a Favre fan. But I'm a Packers fan first?

There's apparently some language in the trade that makes it prohibitively costly for the Jets to trade him to the Vikings or anyone else. So Favre is and will continue to be a Jet unless he decides to retire again. Chad Pennington will be cut soon.

I'm stunned. I don't know that the difference in wins and losses with Garcia rather than Favre will be that great (the defense and the running game will carry this team anyway) but I had gotten to the point where I was downright excited about the idea of Favre playing in Tampa. And now...nothing.

Your team gets 10 wins

Guest Vitamin X

FarveJerseyGreenlg.jpg

Room spinning, and such.

And the saga reaches its conclusion. Now, let us not speak of this again after this week.

Favre hasn't really been a great player for a while. In an era where quarterbacks are supposed to first and foremost protect the ball he makes a lot of ill-considered plays - a shovel pass into a guy's back, throwing into triple coverage, etc. Although he was better last year he's been a pick machine for a while now.

It should be fun to watch but I suspect both Jets fans and Favre fans will be dissapointed.

I think what we saw in Green Bay is the result of three years of Favre making noise about retiring, kind of retiring, then coming back. It got absurd. The guy retired and a month later we heard that he was thinking of coming back again. He was holding everyone emotionally hostage. It's like he was afraid he was becoming irrelevant and the way to keep his name in the headlines is to fake retire every year.

I'm a Jets fan. I'm already disappointed. I've been saying for years that Favre was washed up and shitty now and that the Packers should just bench him and let Rogers start. Now that they finally get the memo, it looks like my team's the one that will be punished. Oh well, at least we should be drafting high again next season. Maybe we can get Tebow?

I'm a Jets fan. I'm already disappointed. I've been saying for years that Favre was washed up and shitty now and that the Packers should just bench him and let Rogers start. Now that they finally get the memo, it looks like my team's the one that will be punished. Oh well, at least we should be drafting high again next season. Maybe we can get Tebow?

No, you get the ultimate punishment -- Favre will lead them to 7-8 wins and a pick somewhere in the early teens.

Guest Vitamin X

Oh, then the pick turns into a second rounder! (If the Jets make the playoffs)

What in the everloving FUCK'S wrong with you? Ted Thompson is a shitty GM? Are you fucking kidding me? The guy who got the Packers tremendous salary cap relief, who focused on building the draft rather than free agency and has found diamonds in the rough like Greg Jennings, Nick Collins, Daryn Colledge, Jason Spitz, James Jones, Aaron Rouse, and Mason Crosby? Thompson's first pick ever as GM was Aaron Rodgers. To a certain extent, I think he really is gambling his entire job based on that, since the first year he took over he declined to resign Marco Rivera and Mike Wahle, which destroyed the Packers offensive line and made them go 4-12. But on the bright side, the team has quickly rebounded and found considerable depth on defense and offense- There's more decent to great running backs on the roster than we know what to do with, a plethora of receivers good enough to bust out a 5-WR set on multiple occasions last year, and a tough, very deep front seven on defense, and one of the best secondaries in the league. The ONLY question on this team is how well Rodgers can play. And if he fails, we have Brian Brohm and Matt Flynn to give it a shot.

Spitz is the pits, Jones faded down the stretch, the D-Line interior is in shambles now, and we have 2 Corners past 30.

It might be a rough year backing my Pack (I am a pessimist though)

I'm stunned. I never thought this would actually would go through.

If nothing else, the season just got a whole lot more interesting. I'd be shocked if Pennington's still in green and white by the end of the day.

As a Patriots fan...

I swear, Chad is the perfect back-up QB that will come in when the starter goes down and play well for 5-7 games. I decided to compare the past 4 seasons (healthy when applicable) after seeing randomguy's "pick machine" comment.

Brett Favre: 96 TD vs. 79 INT. He's thrown fewer than 16 INT just twice since 1996... 2001 and 2007 with 15.

Tom Brady: 128 TD vs. 48 INT

Peyton Manning: 139 TD vs. 43 INT

Drew Brees: 105 TD vs. 51 INT

Eli Manning (3 Years): 71 TD vs. 55 INT

Carson Palmer: 104 TD vs. 63 INT

Donovan McNabb: 84 TD vs. 30 INT

Jeff Garcia: 51 TD vs. 28 INT

Chad Pennington: 56 TD vs. 46 INT

Jake Delhomme: 89 TD vs. 58 INT

Matt Hasselbeck: 92 TD vs. 51 INT

Marc Bulger: 70 TD vs. 46 INT

Ben Roethlisberger: 84 TD vs. 54 INT

The Jets would have to give up three first round picks if they trade him. Who the fuck would agree to that?

I would give Pennington a look as backup. Dude is incredibly accurate.

I've always liked Pennington. Yeah, his arm isn't anything special and he's got a long injury history, but he's smart and makes good decisions. I think he'd be an upgrade at starter for a few teams.

I'm stunned. I never thought this would actually would go through.

If nothing else, the season just got a whole lot more interesting. I'd be shocked if Pennington's still in green and white by the end of the day.

It was said last night by Jets personnel that pennington would be released today.

Brett's the greatest of all time,.

No he isn't...

The record books say otherwise.

If you think a record book determines who is the best, then you have no idea what you are talking. Favre was a great QB, arguably top 5, but he is not better then Dan Marino, or Joe Montana. Matter of fact I think by the time Manning and Brady retire, they will surpass Favre, and likely break most of his records.

If you think a record book determines who is the best, then you have no idea what you are talking. Favre was a great QB, arguably top 5, but he is not better then Dan Marino, or Joe Montana. Matter of fact I think by the time Manning and Brady retire, they will surpass Favre, and likely break most of his records.

+1

If I were doing a Top Ten, it would probably go:

1. Joe Montana

2. Dan Marino

3. Johnny Unitas

4. Fran Tarkenton

5. Sammy Baugh

6. Tom Brady

7. John Elway

8. Peyton Manning

9. Brett Favre

10. Steve Young

The record-books give him the "career" ones, which were mostly due to his longevity than his skill. He holds no season or game records (Season ones are dominated by Brady, Manning, and a few for Marino), and he also holds Most Interceptions. It's like Emmit Smith: He holds all the career stuff, but mostly because he stayed around longer than guys like Sanders and Sayers. He's hardly the "Greatest Ever Running Back".

I was going to counter with Unitas or Marino as being better than Favre. Favre's a great quarterback, but not the GOAT.

I still can't believe he's going to be playing in New York. With the Giants defending champs and now Favre, football will be interesting here.

And yay for me and VX finally agreeing on something!