TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
NoCalMike

Making MP3s into ring tones?

So I have a cell phone, the LG Rumor. I can download MP3s onto it and play them, but the phone won't seem to let me set them as my ringtones. One of my friends said a lot of phones won't let you set entire Mp3s as ringtones and that you have to break them down into smaller sound files that loop.

Is there any free software that will let me chop my songs into smaller files so I can use them as ringtones or am I just missing an option on my phone....

HELP!!!

Update: So I guess it is a Sprint PCS policy not to allow downloaded MP3s be used as ringtones.....I visited the store today and the guy gave me the url for a website similar to www.mobil17.com that Cartman was nice enough to post for me. I will check both sites out.

So are there any hidden fees when using these websites? I mean I don't have the vision pack for Sprint, so I know I will be charged for "casual data usage" for the 10 seconds it takes to download the song file(which usually comes out to about 3 cents per song), but other then that there should be no charges from Sprints end......so no hidden fees from these websites, right?

You can do it yourself with iTunes.

First, in iTunes you need to go to Prefs, then Import, then change your import settings to mp3 (I used 112kbps, quality is less important than compactness for my ringtones). Then, find the song you want, and go through the song to figure out which part you want to be the ringtone (IE: 00:30.00 to 00:42.00) and then Command-I to get info on the song. Under the Options tab in the Get Info menu, check both start and stop time and enter the start and stop times for the ringtone section (IE: Start time 00:30.00 End Time 00:42.00). You may want to play it once to make sure it's well cropped. Then, just select the song in your library and go to Advanced -> Convert Selection to MP3. It will automatically convert ONLY the portion of the song that you selected to a new, cropped MP3 file, which can then be dragged onto the desktop and used. This is infinitely easier than trying to crop and convert in another application, and now you can have the coolest ringtone on the block in half the time!

Those are directions for a Mac, but I am pretty sure you can do them with Windows.

You can do it yourself with iTunes.

First, in iTunes you need to go to Prefs, then Import, then change your import settings to mp3 (I used 112kbps, quality is less important than compactness for my ringtones). Then, find the song you want, and go through the song to figure out which part you want to be the ringtone (IE: 00:30.00 to 00:42.00) and then Command-I to get info on the song. Under the Options tab in the Get Info menu, check both start and stop time and enter the start and stop times for the ringtone section (IE: Start time 00:30.00 End Time 00:42.00). You may want to play it once to make sure it's well cropped. Then, just select the song in your library and go to Advanced -> Convert Selection to MP3. It will automatically convert ONLY the portion of the song that you selected to a new, cropped MP3 file, which can then be dragged onto the desktop and used. This is infinitely easier than trying to crop and convert in another application, and now you can have the coolest ringtone on the block in half the time!

Those are directions for a Mac, but I am pretty sure you can do them with Windows.

It's a bit different using a PC, but I figured it out. Thanks again.

someone explain how to use iTunes to get it done on a PC

pleeeeease

Open Itunes

File-Import-Select file....

EDIT: home now, ok here we go....

Open Itunes

File-Import-Select the file you want to import from wherever you keep your mp3s..once it is imported into your itunes playlist, right click on the song and click "get info" then go to the options tab, in the options tab there is the start time/end time counter for you to put in. Once you input the start/stop time, click ok to close the tab with your settings saved. Then right click on the song again and select "convert file to mp3" then you will see a new copy of the song pop into the itunes playlist, which is the new abbreviated version of the song......