TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
EVIL~! alkeiper

Monday Night Wars

The WM switch was definitely a rumor that started swirling. I remember it being reported on the local newspaper info line I would call for news. Sushi-X may have tossed it out there too. Seemed plausible the night after the Rumble with the Tyson/Austin throwdown.

What does everyone think? Would that show have been as meaningful or important if they went the alternate route and Tyson was able to wrestle and take on Austin? Or did they get enough mainstream coverage with Tyson just being involved, allowing them to have a mega moment for Austin's first title win.

Austin's first title win HAD to happen at Wrestlemania. There was no other way around it.

Were those fans on Nitro real fans or were they plants? I vaguely recall some Observer tidbit on another thread saying WCW had planted fans rush the ring. That seems incredibly irresponsible to me.

Translated lyrics to the rap of Los Boricuas

Whassup?

Stand up and say whassup?

What's, up? {*repeat 3X*}

[Chorus]

People over there whassup?

If you feel me, stand up and say whassup?

Whassup? (Whassup?) Whassup? (Whassup?)

You can get with this, or you can get with that

You better come get with this, cause this is where it's at

[Verse One]

I be skippin and jumpin and, leavin the competition

Makin 'em disappear like your favorite magician

I ride that {motherfucker} 'til the wheels fall off

And I bounce 'em back to back 'til they necks get soft

Most of the time you see me, I'm tryin to keep it simple

These are the type of people to get popped like a pimple

Statin my claim to fame

To be one of the baddest-ass {niggaz} to step foot in this game

And I haven't even started yet~!

But you can better believe I'ma yank it off a sure shot bet

Whassup? (Whassup?) Say WHOA

[Chorus] - last "Whassup?" refain + "WHOA!"

[Verse Two]

Steady stickin and movin like there's no time left

I did it before the fall and like I lost my breath

Baby that's what happens when you snooze you lose

Grip yo' fate when you breakin the rules

They tellin me Jack was nimble, they said he was quick

But I bet that {nigga} can't do the {shit} that I did

Rippin and runnin the tracks, can't believe yo' eyes

The most gifted, intelligent surprise

It ain't even time to give up

I gotta be on my J.O. out like...

Be givin the dap back so you better watch out

And tell that {bitch-ass nigga} keep my name out his mouth

[Chorus] - same as last time

[Verse Three]

I'ma keep on pumpin and stompin as I please

I know you see me comin movin like a stampede

Been known for bringin the drama just to {fuck shit} up

It's all because of the drama that enough's enough

Bringin the entertainment, slash, top billing

Suntan Superman, Ron Killings

I be trippin and takin the risks, goin against the grain

Them are the reason and the cause of why I'm insane

Definitely makin impressions, and leavin you standin and guessin

My tongue be goin off like a Smith and Wesson

I can really get posted up, make noise and that's a fact

You better get ready for me, cause IT BE LIKE THAT~!

I've heard Michaels didn't want to face Owen and obviously Austin didn't want to wrestle him again after Survivor Series. So politics kept Owen's career from going any higher. HBK/Owen would have been ideal but they just used that up on an upcoming Raw. Think they wrestled on a house show too.

Watched some of that Nitro and it was good. La Parka & Psychosis v. Rey Mysterio & Juventud Guerrera was awesome with some unbelieveable spots. Scott Keith is right that that should have been put on Starrcade.

I remember the Goldberg/Mongo feud had ended. I always thought it ended with McMichaels laying out Goldberg with a pipe, getting back his ring, cutting a promo about it, their match being canceled and Goldberg disappearing for about four weeks, only to come back stronger than ever. Didn't know they continued to feud next week. Though Mongo gets up in about ten seconds and goes after Goldberg. Amazing they were trying to keep Mongo of all people strong. After a few weeks, Goldberg was stronger than ever and the Mongo feud was not mentioned again.

Amazing they were trying to keep Mongo of all people strong.

Like him or not (I think he sucks) but Mongo was OVER in 1997, especially around the time of the Horsemen breakup. Remember the Clash match against Jarrett when he won the US title? I'm shocked to this day that he did so much jobbing around that era, pretty much putting over Hennig, Goldberg, and the Bulldog one after the other. Plus, I was always a little surprised he didn't make it onto the roster for WCW/nWo Revenge. Did Bischoff just stand there drinking a cup of coffee while Mongo was talking to him or something?

Another tragedy if they cut the new MNW episodes will be the time it takes to relive Mongo's glorious last moment in WCW-getting bleach thrown in his eyes and disappearing forever.

Amazing they were trying to keep Mongo of all people strong.

Like him or not (I think he sucks) but Mongo was OVER in 1997, especially around the time of the Horsemen breakup. Remember the Clash match against Jarrett when he won the US title? I'm shocked to this day that he did so much jobbing around that era, pretty much putting over Hennig, Goldberg, and the Bulldog one after the other. Plus, I was always a little surprised he didn't make it onto the roster for WCW/nWo Revenge. Did Bischoff just stand there drinking a cup of coffee while Mongo was talking to him or something?

Another tragedy if they cut the new MNW episodes will be the time it takes to relive Mongo's glorious last moment in WCW-getting bleach thrown in his eyes and disappearing forever.

I take it Benoit was involved in that?

This last Nitro had two really good matches (and some decent stuff early on), but some things happened here that soured my opinion of the show and eventually turned into downright hatred of it.

A.) It's too long. Add 53 minutes of commercial to that and you have the running time as it was then. Now I understand why they blew all sorts of big matches on Nitro. They had to do so in order to keep you sitting through the show for that long. Adding to that, they just fill most of the extra hour with pointless Gene Okerlund interviews, so it's a great thing I'm able to FF. All we ever hear is that the NWO is going to get it someday, blah blah blah, and then the interviewee proceeds to get his ass kicked by the whole group for the next month.

B.) Lex vs. Buff angle went well, and then it was blown apart by the finish. Buff being a heel and all, he should have ran away about 30 seconds into the match. Instead the NWO comes out and Lex tosses Buff over the top for the DQ. WHAT.THE.FUCK.

C.) Their babyfaces were buried throughout the show via video package. This has continued for months on end. Then they go out there, have a match, and get buried even worse. If they lose, they lose in a way that makes them look like shit. If they win, they get mauled by the NWO. They never get ANYTHING which constitutes as some sort of victory.

D.) Bret Hart's debut was such an egofuck for Bischoff that I contemplated turning it off right then and there.

Really, the first hour of that show was the only thing resembling competence. Other than Savage/Booker (which was good in that a WCW guy actually put up something of a fight and didn't get screwed in a way that made him look like a loser), the last two hours were a real big chore.

This fella in a yellow "Bob Backlund For WWF World Champ" sure enjoyed going to the Manhattan Center for Raw based on this string of 1993 Raw's I've been watching On Legacy.

This new episode of Nitro is actually very boring. In fact, I'd actually want to watch Kid Rock's performance at WM25 again! Plus, this week's RAW has been put up 23 times since 2004. All in the month of December. And now we got a fucking CHRISTMAS show on demand in APRIL! Seriously, what the fuck?

Checking out the latest update, now we're back to the beginning of the Monday Night War. Not that it's not cool to see but why the **** are they going backwards when they're almost at the point of the Attitude Era took off? Is this more of their "family-friendly" programming? What, is the Attitude Era stuff now banned?

I don't mind them showing stuff from the beginning because, I didn't have the service available to me until the RAW after Survivor Series 1996 had just started airing, though I wish they would keep showing multiple 1998 shows each month.

They are probably trying to lure in new subscribers. Or maybe they are doing it so they have more time to edit the 98 shows, lots of logo burring to do, plus they got to hack up Nitros so we don't see Benoit, especially when it gets to the Booker T feud.

They are probably trying to lure in new subscribers. Or maybe they are doing it so they have more time to edit the 98 shows, lots of logo burring to do, plus they got to hack up Nitros so we don't see Benoit, especially when it gets to the Booker T feud.

Damn, I didn't even think of the Booker/Benoit feud! I'm going to be upset not seeing those matches, but I'm sure they're easily available on the internet.

Ummm...they are still continuing with the Raw and Nitros they are up to. The RAW and Nitro's from 12/29/97 will be updated on May 5th.

They are going to be showing the beginning ones, and the ones they are all ready up to.

Yes, but now there theres LESS of the current MNW each month. Now theres only 1 per month as opposed to the usual 2 per month. "MNW The Beginning" will be getting 2 per month instead.

They could just, I dunno, show the full Nitros with the Benoit/Booker matches. I don't get why they do it there and not with a DVD release. Benoit is all over the SummerSlam box set I have, yet WWE cuts him out of stuff on 24/7. I wouldn't go out of my way to throw a Benoit match onto a compilation, but it's lame to edit him off shows when people are paying a subscription to see this stuff in its entirety.