TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
EVIL~! alkeiper

NWA Weekly Programming Thread

Yeah, Jones was a fourth-rate Bobby Heenan. I've seen some footage of him from his heel wrestler days in the Mid-Atlantic and he was quite good. But he was never able to translate that into being a manager. I don't get what was with the Hitler costume either.

So that's why Magnum got stripped, because he punched the head of the NWA? Cool. I hope that's going to be on World Championship Wrestling. I recall Dusty later getting stripped of the U.S. title for accidentally hitting Crockett with a baseball bat.

One thing I forgot to mention is that I love when Flair keeps saying that Hawk is going to need a respirator to go thirty minutes for him. Flair trashing the Roadies on the mic is always gold.

Yeah, the big Magnum/Nikita Press Conference is coming on the 5/31/86 episode and on the following weeks episode, David Crockett announces that the NWA has stripped Magnum T.A. of the U.S. title due to what happened at last weeks press conference.

If your interested, the Full Story about their fued is located here:

http://blogs.phillyburbs.com/blog.php/?p=29383&cat=204

I haven't watched yet, but from the system's picture preview it looks like this week's episode features the debut of Big Bubba Rogers.

Wicked... I assume that's where he debuts by no-selling the chair shot from Dusty and then beating him down right then and there.

Edit - Nevermind... that apparently comes later...

Just watched the show. Once again, Cornette is the MVP with his crazy rants against the James Boys (especially when Tony said Tony Zale was one of the James Boys) and Baby Doll. Damn, does his face get red. Cool that Big Bubba has now been introduced. Other highlights...

-Awesome bit with Flair breaking Morton's nose. So Flair damaged Morton's face twice and Morton never really got revenge.

-The Nikita/Magnum press conference. I know it was for the storyline but just why the hell did Magnum bring his mother to the press conference?

-I have to say, Jimmy Garvin is pretty damn funny on the mic.

-Love the look on Whatley's face after the tag team match with Barbarian and Von Rascke where he's pointing to Jimmy Valiant's ponytail.

-Good arena footage, with the Horsemen beating up Morton (and of course, the good guys arriving way too late) and Blanchard busting up Garvin.

All and all an entertaining show.

Just watched the show. Once again, Cornette is the MVP with his crazy rants against the James Boys (especially when Tony said Tony Zale was one of the James Boys) and Baby Doll. Damn, does his face get red. Cool that Big Bubba has now been introduced. Other highlights...

-Awesome bit with Flair breaking Morton's nose. So Flair damaged Morton's face twice and Morton never really got revenge.

-The Nikita/Magnum press conference. I know it was for the storyline but just why the hell did Magnum bring his mother to the press conference?

-Love the look on Whatley's face after the tag team match with Barbarian and Von Rascke where he's pointing to Jimmy Valiant's ponytail.

-Good arena footage, with the Horsemen beating up Morton (and of course, the good guys arriving way too late) and Blanchard busting up Garvin.

It should be getting much better with the Nikita/Magnum angle progressing to where it ends up and when Big Bubba has a confrontation with Dusty Rhodes. Jim Cornette talks about it in his shoot interview, and I can't wait to see it.

It should be getting much better with the Nikita/Magnum angle progressing to where it ends up and when Big Bubba has a confrontation with Dusty Rhodes. Jim Cornette talks about it in his shoot interview, and I can't wait to see it.

I forgot to mention this a while back but one of Cornette's funniest commets was when he repeatedly called himself a macho man.

Great NWA show today!

Spoilers...

We don't get Magnum/Nikita since Magnum was stripped of the title (more on that later) but we get a Flair/Rhodes title match featuring the return of Ole Anderson, who cuts a great promo. This is followed by an even better promo for Dusty about Ole. Jimmy Valient and Manny Fernandez attack Jones's army and cut Whatley's hair.

Magnum is officially reprimanded (but not fined or suspended for attacking Nikita at a press conference). You'd think he'd be happy about that but instead, he punches out the NWA president and is stripped.

Some good lines on today's show, with Cornette telling how he plans to train for his match baby doll "with my good friend, Richard Simmons." An even better line is from Jiimmy Garvin (who cuts entertaining promos), railing on Magnum whining about his mother and telling him that "If she knew you were a dancer in San Fransisco, she would probably kick you out of the house."

That Magnum angle is hilarious stuff. I've heard of it for years but seeing it made me wonder what the hell this guy was thinking. Geigel basically gave him a slap on the wrist and was feasible about the whole press conference fiasco, and then he punches out the president of the NWA?

I've noticed a pattern on these NWA shows though. The shows with the most arena footage or interviews away from the studio tend to be more exciting. The TV studio setting is just too antiseptic or something.

I have to admit, I always liked the studio setting. Something about it was cool. Plus, the fans at times cheered the heels. You see some instances of it on this show.

You're right on about Magnum. If he had tried to force Magnum to apologize, you would have something. But getting stripped of your title for a reprimand? That's just plain dumb. Then you have the Crockett's who opposed the decision? Opposed it? He just punched a guy who let him off with the lightest possible "punishment." And while we're at it, I'll ask again...what the hell was Magnum's mother doing at the press conference?

Got to love wrestling logic. ;)

I have to admit, I always liked the studio setting. Something about it was cool. Plus, the fans at times cheered the heels. You see some instances of it on this show.

You're right on about Magnum. If he had tried to force Magnum to apologize, you would have something. But getting stripped of your title for a reprimand? That's just plain dumb. Then you have the Crockett's who opposed the decision? Opposed it? He just punched a guy who let him off with the lightest possible "punishment." And while we're at it, I'll ask again...what the hell was Magnum's mother doing at the press conference?

Got to love wrestling logic. ;)

The only justification I can think of is that Nikita had his "uncle" at the press conference.

Uncle Ivan is at least a wrestler and part time manager for his nephew. Magnum TA's mom hadn't even been on TV before (that I know of) and I was perplexed when she was there.

At least when Dusty would do these "babyface gets stripped of the belt" angles he would inadvertantly hit a promoter or something, thus being stripped but he didn't mean any malice.

While not as good as last week's show, this week's was pretty good. MVP was the greatness that is Ole Anderson. He looks good in a squash match where both him and Arn are getting a lot of cheers. We get to see footage of a Horseman beatdown on the Rock N Roll Express and Dusty. We should be seeing more of those now. Then Ole proceeds to cut another great promo. He doesn't scream, he doesn't curse but he gets the job done.

Cornette calls Baby Doll a big fat pig right to her face and continues to entertain. The Midnight Express gets a tougher match than usual against Sam Houston and Denny Brown. Cornette makes some crack that Baby Doll should marry Sam Houston, which she did a year or so later. Apparently, that's what got her on the outs with Dusty and the NWA. Don't know the full story there.

Baby Doll got heat, and was subsequently fired, over dating Sam Houston because he was a jobber and she was a top star. Wrestling protocol is that stars date stars, and going against that gets you heat. It's why CM Punk had heat when he was dating Maria. Obviously she wasn't a 'star', but he was considered to be dating above his station, and it was frowned upon.

And yes, Ole Anderson is a fantastic promo guy.

Baby Doll got heat, and was subsequently fired, over dating Sam Houston because he was a jobber and she was a top star. Wrestling protocol is that stars date stars, and going against that gets you heat. It's why CM Punk had heat when he was dating Maria. Obviously she wasn't a 'star', but he was considered to be dating above his station, and it was frowned upon.

Got to love the bizarre world of wrestling. The silliest things get you heat.

One other thing I forgot to mention but this show features the return of Krusher Krusnov (Barry Darsow). He blames his knee injury on the Road Warriors distracting him. We get footage of his TBS match with Sam Houston several months earlier and we see him jump off the top ropes and legitimately not being able to move his leg. I don't think they showed that clip when the match originally aired in 86 because it's clear he couldn't do anything. The Road Warriors are nowhere to be found and don't come out till the end to cost him the match. Really poor editing job done here by the NWA.

Got to love the bizarre world of wrestling. The silliest things get you heat.

One other thing I forgot to mention but this show features the return of Krusher Krusnov (Barry Darsow). He blames his knee injury on the Road Warriors distracting him. We get footage of his TBS match with Sam Houston several months earlier and we see him jump off the top ropes and legitimately not being able to move his leg. I don't think they showed that clip when the match originally aired in 86 because it's clear he couldn't do anything. The Road Warriors are nowhere to be found and don't come out till the end to cost him the match. Really poor editing job done here by the NWA.

From what I also recall, Dusty had eyes for Baby Doll as well, which lead to the outrage that she'd go slumming with Sam Houston.

Dusty wanted Baby Doll? I can see why she chose Sam Houston...

A few other things about this episode...cool segment with Magnum blasting Ivan in the belt. Also, all the Rock N Roll Express related contests. They said that if you wanted the rules, you can request them via letter. Reminded me how things have changed. These contests always required a self-posted envelope.

Miss Rock N Roll Express...that's a creepy contest though. ;)

The amusing part of that is that the NWA wanted girls 14-17 to register for the RNR contest. There was another that was more in the "win a date!" vein for females over 18, but man I can't help but think that the 14-17 year old contest is a strange idea. Wonder what happened with that?

The amusing part of that is that the NWA wanted girls 14-17 to register for the RNR contest. There was another that was more in the "win a date!" vein for females over 18, but man I can't help but think that the 14-17 year old contest is a strange idea. Wonder what happened with that?

Heheh. I don't know. I imagine if the date did happen, it consisted of the girl with Morton while Gibson sat creepily in the corner not saying anything.

I absoutely loved the Andersons squash with them throwing the jobber at his partner because they were tired of beating him up and wanted fresh meat.

Six teenage girls on a bus with the R&R. Good thing the internet (or Chris Hansen) wasn't around at that point.

This week is Big Bubba Rogers no-selling the chairshot. And damned if Dusty Rhodes doesn't look like a bitch needing Magnum T.A. to come down with weapons to save him from a one-on-one confrontation. Prior to that, I'm sure that suplex from Baby Doll is the most embarrassing bump Randy Mulkey ever took.

Short but sweet today.

The Big Bubba bit was pretty damn cool. Dusty would use that angle more than eight years later with Meng. Dusty definitely looked like a bitch with Magnum rushing to his aid with a pair of shovels.

Other notes...

1) Jim Cornette gets the politically incorrect line of the night. "Last week, a man broke into Baby Doll's apartment. She yelled "Rape!" and he yelled back "No!""

2) 24/7 forgot to edit out the number that you can call to get Great American Bash tickets.

3) Magnum is still whining like a bitch about being stripped and refusing to admit it was his stupidity that led to it.

4) Flair's match leads to a confrontation with Hawk and a classic Horsemen beatdown. Whoooo!!!

Short but sweet today.

The Big Bubba bit was pretty damn cool. Dusty would use that angle more than eight years later with Meng. Dusty definitely looked like a bitch with Magnum rushing to his aid with a pair of shovels.

Other notes...

1) Jim Cornette gets the politically incorrect line of the night. "Last week, a man broke into Baby Doll's apartment. She yelled "Rape!" and he yelled back "No!""

2) 24/7 forgot to edit out the number that you can call to get Great American Bash tickets.

3) Magnum is still whining like a bitch about being stripped and refusing to admit it was his stupidity that led to it.

4) Flair's match leads to a confrontation with Hawk and a classic Horsemen beatdown. Whoooo!!!

Cornette was at his pinnacle of insults when it came to the Baby Doll feud. He absolutely ravaged her on the mic.

I about did a spit take when Cornette said that line about rape. Oh man, that was hilarious. Cornette really rules these shows. I'm surprised at how awesome Jimmy Garvin is on the mic, as he usually brings the funny with some politically incorrect humor as well.

Jimmy Garvin's great. His promos are ones that I really look forward to. He plays the classic heel. Talks a big game (and he really ran down Wahoo) and then turning into a chicken**** when he gets what he asked for. Still love the bit where he said that Magnum's mother would probably kick Magnum out of the house if she found out he was a dancer in San Francisco.

If you want to watch Jim Cornette unleashed, go to youtube and type "Jim Cornette Dairy Queen Massacre." If you want to know what Cornette would have said to Baby Doll if television rules let him.