TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DrVenkman PhD

WWE 24/7 Classics OnDemand General Discussion

The 1992 Wargames is one of the best things WCW ever produced. It's about as vicious and brutal as mainstream wrestling could get circa 1992. The 1991 match isn't as good really, but maybe it's because I was distracted by Rick Steiner and Sid blatantly calling spots throughout. Seriously watch the match with that in mind, they practically have a conversation!

Yeah, Sid is pretty audible in calling spots at certain points in the match.

I thought War Games 91 was a great match but I agree that Sid calling the spots was bad. What made it even worse was that he was calling spots after every move.

Also... I'm glad we're not getting Wargames '97... the ending of that match made me absolutely furious.

I'm disappointed as a completist, but especially coming off of Arn Anderson's retirement and the subsequent spoof of the speech, that was about the worst blowoff I've ever seen, so we're agreed.

I actually quite like the 1997 Wargames finish, but like with everything WCW did they never followed it with anything decent. Hennig and Flair should have had this massive, hate filled feud culminating with Flair beating the shit out of him. Instead Flair didn't really do much about Hennig's betrayal, Hennig had a heatless US title run, and then jobbed to DDP at Starrcade with no fanfare.

I didn't think Hennig's U.S. title run was that bad.

Not only is the Bockwinkele/Hennig one-hour draw up but also a complete episode of Mid-Atlantic Championship Wrestling. I've been waiting to see one of these for a long time.

It wasn't long ago on AWA Wrestling on ESPN Classic that they had a Classics segment with that 1 hour draw match, maybe the last 5 minutes or so. It was good to see the whole match, though.

Funny enough, from the March 11, 1991 WON put up in the archives today:

"An awful lot of people picked up on Sid Vicious and Rick Steiner calling set-ups for spots."

This was noted in the Troubleshooting but it looks like a quick change was made and Mania XXIV was replaced with last year's Vengeance / Night of Champions. I noticed the Sunflower update removed it (well, I noticed then forgot, but Al reminded me) and now I see they've actually added Vengeance 2007 to the list. So, that's something weird but I thought 4 weeks after the DVD release was a bit soon to be putting Mania up, though I guess it was the same time frame last year).

I have a theory on this - 24/7 tends use DVD versions of PPVs where available. 24/7 is also a standard definition service broadcast in 4:3. No "Fullscreen" DVD version of Mania XXIV was produced, just the widescreen version which is letterboxed for 4:3 viewers. Obviously they have a 4:3 version available since people without HDTVs would have watched that version on PPV, but it's something to think about.

Actually, the WM 24 DVD is a 16:9 video that is cropped using the "pan & scan" setting in the IFOs to display as 4:3 full screen on 4:3 TVs.

Funny enough, from the March 11, 1991 WON put up in the archives today:

"An awful lot of people picked up on Sid Vicious and Rick Steiner calling set-ups for spots."

Yeah, I noticed that too and got a good laugh. It's interesting to note that there isn't mention of Sid nearly killing Brian Pillman, and if there is... I must have missed it.

Kelly Kininski's promo is quite awful and stuff. That was a fun show though, setting the stage for Greg The Hammer vs IRS at SummerSlam 91. I also like those multicoloured checkered tights Piper used to wear in Mid-Atlantic.

Kelly Kiniski cut what might have been the worst promo ever. He just rambled on and on and said stuff and swalloed constantly. This is where Bob Caulde as the interviewer should have stepped in a dictated the promo.

Really enjoyed the Mid-Atlantic Show too. Brisco/Jones was good. Jones was more effective here as a heel (I hear his Mid-Atlantic prime was quite good) then he is as the buffoonish manager in the mid-80s. Though if Jerry Brisco really cared about his brother, he would have stayed at ringside to prevent Humperdink's interference. Speaking of which, House of Humperdink dominated the show. Joe LeDuc was actually pretty good in the ring and on the mic.

It was funny seeing Valentine and Rotundo there. Three years later, Valentine and Beefcake dethroned Rotundo and Windham for the WWF World Tag Team titles and six years after that, Rotundo as IRS beat Valentine at Summerslam 91.

There was at least one instance where Kininski got lost in his train of thought (and when all you keep saying is "and stuff", I don't know how much thought there is to get lost in) and Caudle jumped in to give him direction but it didn't seem to help much.

From the Wrestling Observer update today:

--Jim Ross on his web site talked about going to Connecticut on Thursday for a 24/7 taping where he, Ric Flair, Mick Foley, Tazz and Gene Okerlund discussed the greatest wrestling factions as well as the most important moments in wrestling history. He said it was the most controversial Legends Roundtable ever, taped for three hours and unfortunately, likely edited down to one hour. Flair in particular had a lot to say about WCW and when it got brought up that the NWO was one of the great factions. They were, and boy is that a subject you could talk about forever. Also coming up as one of the biggest moments in wrestling history was the 1997 Survivor Series. I can imagine that discussion given Flair doesn't like Bret Hart and is best friends with HHH and Shawn Michaels, who were integral in what happened, and Mick Foley, when it comes to that subject, has always been strong in thinking in the other direction about what happened.

Needless to say,

I CAN'T WAIT to see these two episodes. It's about time they got Flair on the panel.

I know it's been said before, but it would be nice if the WWE decided to put all the Legends Roundtable discussions on DVD at one point. They could easily do the series where they highlighted individual talents as one collection (The Andre the Giant/Iron Sheik episode alone should be made available to as many people as possible... such a funny episode), while the "theme episodes" - Territories, Wrestlemania, Characters, etc. - could be another package.

I hope theres no editing, I wanna see them in their entirety. If not DVD releases, I wouldn't mind them replaying the episodes during the months were there is no new episode, so i could record them onto DVD myself.

Okay that sounds like a great show that is upcoming. That said, in my book Flair can't say SHIT about Bret not wanting to job to Michaels when he himself left WCW with the title in 1991 and even showed the belt off on WWF TV. And yes we all know Jim Herd is an idiot, but maybe if Flair had still jobbed the title to Luger despite his problems with Herd and left WCW then I'd listen to his trashing of Bret.

Okay that sounds like a great show that is upcoming. That said, in my book Flair can't say SHIT about Bret not wanting to job to Michaels when he himself left WCW with the title in 1991 and even showed the belt off on WWF TV. And yes we all know Jim Herd is an idiot, but maybe if Flair had still jobbed the title to Luger despite his problems with Herd and left WCW then I'd listen to his trashing of Bret.

You're right... Herd was an idiot. He was an idiot to the point that even though he hated Flair with a passion, he still didn't have the patience to fire him AFTER the Great American Bash that year. He fired him a week or two before Flair was set to headline the event, thus forcing WCW into such a horrible position. The title belt situation was complicated due to the fact it was still the old NWA belt, and Flair had the much talked about deposit on it due to the fact the NWA required the champions to put it down to ensure they wouldn't sell the belt. Herd wouldn't pay the money back so Flair kept it. WCW sued, and that's why the WWF had to blur the image. The precedent established there pretty much guaranteed Hart wasn't going to show up on Nitro with the belt, but yeah, he still should have done the job.

Still, Hart told Vince he would drop the belt to anyone but Michaels on the way out, Flair said the same thing about Luger, which led to Herd firing him.

Beast, if that is true about Flair refusing to job to Luger then that might be worse than Bret refusing to job to Shawn. Bret had in fact already put Shawn over in the Iron Man match for the title, whereas Flair had retained over Luger via every bullshit screwjob you could imagine from 1988-90.

The fake Alex Wright music (I think it's fake) on Thunder (though I guess it's on Nitro these days too) is some of the best music I've heard WWE overdub an original WCW theme with. They should give it to someone on the roster now.

That Alex Wright techno music isn't his real music? It seems very much like it is. Fits his gimmick and everything. From watching these old Nitros and the Thunder on 24/7 right now, I have a whole new enjoyment of Alex Wright. The guy was hysterical.

It sounds natural on Nitro but it has a really "overdubbed" quality to it on Thunder.

Bryan Alvarez had a great analysis about Alex Wright in a late 2000 F4W: In 1996, he was a talented guy wrestling on a roster full of REALLY talented guys. This became really obvious when he was wrestling with the likes of The Harris Brothers and the rest of WCW's rag tag roster before it died.

I think Wright's problem was that the gimmick that made him entertaining (Eurotrash pretty boy dancer) is something that a guy can't really main event while doing. Berlyn was the attempt to get him away from that image, and it could have worked had he not been killed out of the gate by the 1-2 punch of Bagwell and Duggan at Fall Brawl 99.

I think Wright's problem was that the gimmick that made him entertaining (Eurotrash pretty boy dancer) is something that a guy can't really main event while doing. Berlyn was the attempt to get him away from that image, and it could have worked had he not been killed out of the gate by the 1-2 punch of Bagwell and Duggan at Fall Brawl 99.

Alex Wright's gimmick reminds me a little of Santino Morella's. That would have been a fun tag team.

For the time being, the patented Dr. Venkman Week to Week Detailed Schedule of Doom is on hiatus. I really enjoyed doing it when we had monthly threads and still enjoyed editing the first post of this thread, but at least for now have decided to discontinue it. A few reasons:

1. I'm not entirely sure people actually read it, especially with it now being post 1 on what is currently a 5 page (40 per page) thread. Even before that, people would say things like "Where is the new MNW?" when the schedule I wrote up would clearly answer that (in this scenario, it was a 5 week month so there was an extra week gap between episodes)..

2. Way back when I first started doing this, the Sunflower site was something I stumbled upon via wikipedia and didn't really advertise. Everyone here knows about it now and can use it themself. Ditto for Cawthon's site. Basically the only I thing I did was take Sunflowered grid and make a "nicer" layout broken down by the week, then researched the show where possible to add matches, which leads too...

3. Spoilers! As weird as it might sound (and since this is something I've been thinking about since bob_barron mentioned not reading the schedule thread, the idea of decade old spoilers probably isn't that odd at all to some of you), I'm starting to get a bit tired of trying to skim the results of a show to get an idea of what the matches are without seeing the results, despite the fact with the majority of the Raw shows I already watched them as they aired 11 years ago! I've decided I want to go into things fresh, being pleasently surprised by things I no longer remember, or in the case of house shows or PPVs I missed, results I don't even know. I was going to look up the results of Living Dangerously 99 to write a two sentence preview for it, then thought, "Why? I'd like to go into this fresh!".

So, that's it. Let's just read the Sunflower and WWE.com and discuss it here. Fun for everyone!

They're slowly updating the 24/7 page. ECW One Night Stand '06 has won the PYBO for July and the 3 choices for August are 3 different Summerslam events. 1990, 1994, & 1999 and my vote goes to 1999 on that one.

The weekly listing is updated as well and shows the PYBO as being added already (ONS 06), I don't have it yet here in Boston on Comcast.

Well, August is Flight 24/7 again. Ivan Putski is HOF. The Legacy Of Stone Cold Home Video from earlier this year is also on, as well as WCW Japan Supershow '91. The shorties are all Divas moments and matches in bikinis :D