TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DrVenkman PhD

WWE 24/7 Classics OnDemand General Discussion

With next month being August and the Flight 24/7 thing all at the same time, we'll probably see SummerSlam 1992 (given away by the Bulldog shot on the top of the page, duh) in addition to the NJPW/WCW Supershow. Which I'm really looking forward to. It has Bam Bam Bigelow and Vader facing Doom. Oh hell yeah, son.

The MLG show from 89 is in some ways shit, in others not. Like say, they have the Bushwhackers against the Brainbusters. That's shit! On the other, they have Greg Valentine vs. The Blue Blazer. That should be interesting. I neglected to mention stuff like Savage/Hogan, Roberts/DiBiase, and Bret/Perfect on purpose. Oh wait, I just mentioned them.

I'm voting for SummerSlam 1990. All would be nice, though.

ONS '06 isn't up over here. It'll be up on the next update.

Summerslam 1992 holds a fond memory for me, it was actually the first thing I saw when i first got WWE 24/7 back in August of 2006 which is when Comcast finally got 24/7. Back then I didn't have a DVD recorder, so I wouldn't mind them putting it on again so i can record it this time.

EDIT: That month was ALSO Flight 24/7

Edited by shadylpete

Yeah, I much like June how KOTR 94 was their chosen Big One and KOTR 93 was the picked one, I think SummerSlam XX will be the picked one and SummerSlam 92 is set to air. It fits both the international theme AND the month of August theme.

wiki says that Bigelow and Vader vs. Doom was a dark match. Oh it had better not be. But Riki Choshu vs. Tiger Jeet Singh probably better be.

wiki says that Bigelow and Vader vs. Doom was a dark match. Oh it had better not be. But Riki Choshu vs. Tiger Jeet Singh probably better be.

I'm waiting for that epic El Gigante vs. Mr. Hughes matchup.

I bet they have shown SS 92 about 6 times on 24/7 since I've had the service. It's one of my favorite shows ever, but I do now have a DVD of it so let's have some different stuff here. SS 90 is a choice, eh? I wouldn't mind seeing that one again.

Should I waste my dvd-r's on the shorties for next month? I get the feeling they will have to do with all the bikini type stuff the divas have done, and not real angles or matches. I will probably record them just for my collection purposes, but I won't be as much looking forward to them as I usually am.

Just finished watching the Boston Garden card from March 1989. A few notes...

-We see Lanny Poffo's gradual heel turn as he rips Hogan in his poem and puts over Randy Savage, which is cool because he's his brother.

-One of these days, 24/7 should put all the matches between The Rockers and the Brainbusters in their shortie section for a month. These two teams never had a bad match and they had another great, long one on this show.

-We get another Hogan/Bossman match. It's not the traditional blue cage of that era but an actual cage like the NWA used at the time. There's also no Hogan suplexing Bossman from the top of the cage but this was another entertaining match. Bossman does a gory blade job and the two of them had pretty good chemistry together.

Saw the new Primetime episode they had posted. They had the complete Pildriver music video and it might be the gayest thing I've ever seen. Found out that Arnold Skaaland was in it too. Gorilla shoots with a laugh that Arnold has found himself in a lot of compromising positions. Monsoon and Heenan throw in another shoot about Steve Lombardi being from the "Terry Garvin School of Self-Defense."

The Survivor Series is hyped throughout the entire show, which gets annoying. Heenan cracks at a picture of Hogan's team that the last time Ken Patera was in a room with that many guys, they were asking him to step forward and be identified.

For the time being, the patented Dr. Venkman Week to Week Detailed Schedule of Doom is on hiatus. I really enjoyed doing it when we had monthly threads and still enjoyed editing the first post of this thread, but at least for now have decided to discontinue it. A few reasons:

1. I'm not entirely sure people actually read it, especially with it now being post 1 on what is currently a 5 page (40 per page) thread. Even before that, people would say things like "Where is the new MNW?" when the schedule I wrote up would clearly answer that (in this scenario, it was a 5 week month so there was an extra week gap between episodes)..

2. Way back when I first started doing this, the Sunflower site was something I stumbled upon via wikipedia and didn't really advertise. Everyone here knows about it now and can use it themself. Ditto for Cawthon's site. Basically the only I thing I did was take Sunflowered grid and make a "nicer" layout broken down by the week, then researched the show where possible to add matches, which leads too...

3. Spoilers! As weird as it might sound (and since this is something I've been thinking about since bob_barron mentioned not reading the schedule thread, the idea of decade old spoilers probably isn't that odd at all to some of you), I'm starting to get a bit tired of trying to skim the results of a show to get an idea of what the matches are without seeing the results, despite the fact with the majority of the Raw shows I already watched them as they aired 11 years ago! I've decided I want to go into things fresh, being pleasently surprised by things I no longer remember, or in the case of house shows or PPVs I missed, results I don't even know. I was going to look up the results of Living Dangerously 99 to write a two sentence preview for it, then thought, "Why? I'd like to go into this fresh!".

So, that's it. Let's just read the Sunflower and WWE.com and discuss it here. Fun for everyone!

I personally liked your updates and read them each time...Your layout was way better to read!

Although I dont get 24/7 anymore on my TV, I did find a supplier that records everything and mails it to me each month.

So, I still read here about updates and such, so I know whats coming!

I certainly appreciate that, flairfan. I did find my layout easier (and I suppose I could still do it without program previews), but it's now become something where I was getting too into looking up what shows were about when I just want to enjoy them.

Here's something for you current subscribers to think about: I don't really think anything will come of it, but I sent some feedback basically stating at the current schedule it will be about six years for the Monday Night Wars series to wrap up so I had an idea: On the weeks there isn't a new MNW era Raw and Nitro, air Raw chronologically from the week after the last Nitro plus throw in SmackDown from episode one.

I know the Invasion turned out really crappy but after reading several archived F4W newsletters, I'm pretty anxious to see episodes of Raw (like the ECW/Alliance deal) air again and so on. So, obviously I'm only one guy, but if others think this is a good idea (and how can more content be a bad idea?) feel free to also send them similar feedback.

New schedule is up, filled with puppies and all.

Toward the end of the month they're showing some popular SummerSlam matches. Both the World Tour 1992 and World Tour 1996 Coliseum Videos will be up as well, and the second PPV event they're showing will be IYH #4. That is a...weird show. But it's in Winnipeg, so it fits the theme.

You'll love the match list for World Tour 1992 when you see it.

World Tour 1992 was one of the tapes I rented most as a kid. I'm not sure why but IIRC there was a cool Texas Tornado/Ric Flair match on it.

World Tour '96 on the other hand is a pretty awful tape from what I remember. There's even a Bret Hart/Steve Austin match that manages to be not very good.

Oh. My. God.

spman sent me World Tour 96 as a rib. It is the WORST TAPE EVER. This will be comically bad to watch, perhaps. World Tour 92 is a tape I bought from a store in 2005 because it looked good on paper, but I recall being let down (Savage vs. Michaels is Savage selling his knee the entire match).

And they're showing the October 95 In Your House! What an absolute rib by the producers next month. Well done guys.

In case you're curious, these are the match listings for the two Coliseum tapes being shown next month courtesy of The History of WWE website...

World Tour 92 (8/27/92)

- The Mountie (w/ Jimmy Hart) pinned Kerry Von Erich with his feet on the ropes at 13:16 (Battle Royal at Albert Hall - 10/3/91; London, England; Royal Albert Hall)

- The British Bulldog pinned WWF Tag Team Champion IRS (w/ Jimmy Hart) with the running powerslam at 12:48 after knocking Hart off the apron (UK Rampage '92 - 4/19/92; Sheffield, England; Sheffield Arena)

- The British Bulldog (w/ Andre the Giant) pinned Earthquake with a powerslam at 8:15 after Andre hit Earthquake with one of his crutches (10/5/91; Barcelona, Spain)

- Roddy Piper pinned the Barbarian with a sunset flip at 6:31 (10/5/91; Barcelona, Spain)

- The British Bulldog won a 16-man battle royal by last eliminating the Mountie; participants included: Shawn Micahels, El Matador, Bret Hart, Sgt. Slaughter, Col. Mustafa, Jim Duggan, the Nasty Boys, Repo Man, the Legion of Doom, and several others; order of elimination (midway through match): El Matador by the Mountie via backdrop, Bret by the Mountie as Bret attempted to eliminate Jerry Saggs, Road Warrior Hawk accidentally eliminated himself, Col. Mustafa by the Bulldog, Duggan by the Mountie as Duggan attempted to eliminate Jerry Saggs, Repo Man by Slaughter, Slaughter by the Mountie after Jerry Saggs assisted from the outside, Saggs by Bulldog via clothesline after the Mountie accidentally used his cattle prod on Saggs, the Mountie by Bulldog; after the bout, Bulldog and Slaughter celebrated the win (4/14/92; Munich, Germany)

- WWF IC Champion Bret Hart pinned Rick Martel with a small package at 13:02 (UK Rampage '92 - 4/19/92; Sheffield, England; Sheffield Arena)

- WWF World Champion Randy Savage pinned Shawn Michaels with the flying elbow drop at 14:26; after the bout, Michaels and Sensational Sherri attacked the champion's injured knee with a chair - forcing him out of the battle royal later in the night (4/14/92; Munich, Germany)

This is one of the few Coliseum Videos from the early 90s that I haven't seen (perhaps I've blocked out of my memory). The only matches that don't sound horrible are Bret/Martel and Macho Man/HBK (and I've heard from various sources that the latter is a huge let down). The tape with the cool Texas Tornado/Ric Flair match I was mentioning earlier was the very similar titled Wrestling World Tour.

World Tour 96 (1997)

- Yokozuna & Ahmed Johnson defeated Marty Jannetty & Leif Cassidy when Yoko pinned Cassidy with the Bonzai Drop after the Pearl River Plunge from Ahmed (5/96; Kuwait City, Kuwait)

- Bret Hart defeated Steve Austin via submission with the Sharpshooter after avoiding a suplex (5/9/96; Kuwait City, Kuwait)

- Kuwait Cup Quarter Finals: Davey Boy Smith pinned Duke Drose with the running powerslam after Drose missed a top rope headbutt (5/96; Kuwait City, Kuwait)

- Kuwait Cup Semi-Finals: Ahmed Johnson pinned Owen Hart with the Pearl River Plunge (5/96; Kuwait City, Kuwait)

- Kuwait Cup Finals: Ahmed Johnson pinned Hunter Hearst Helmsley with the Pearl River Plunge; after the bout, Ahmed was presented with the Kuwait Cup (5/12/96; Kuwait City, Kuwait)

This tape is boring as hell but at the same time, mildly interesting. I don't remember that half of the matches featured Ahmed Johnson. I guess that speaks for the quality of the tape.

The October '95 In Your House...that's the one with Diesel Vs The British Bulldog main eventing, right? Good lord, that show is almost as bad as King of The Ring '95. In fact, pretty much the only reasons that it isn't is it's two hours instead of three and there's slightly less King Mabel. The discussion thread for that one on here should be interesting.

Edit: Fixed for anyone who didn't want to be spoiled like poor Venk was. Didn't know anybody would be so touchy about fifteen year old Coliseum Video results.

That would be the show. Without looking up the card, I believe we're also treated to Marty Jannetty vs. Goldust (which I recall when I rented the tape in 1996, I really wanted to like but didn't) and Shane Douglas jobbing the IC title 15 minutes after receiving it by forfeit.

As awful as it is there are probably a lot of people who may not even be aware a World Tour 96 tape exists (with good cause) so you could at least justify that 24/7 is unearthing some hidden tape. Bret/Austin isn't good but it has a notable finish.

Holy tape spoilers, KKC!

The non-spoiler (for Venk) card for In Your House IV

We get (in order)

Hunter Hearst Helmsley Vs Fatu

The Smokin' Gunns Vs The 123 Kid and Razor Ramon for the WWF Tag Team titles

Goldust Vs Marty Jannetty

Yokozuna Vs King Mabel

Dean Douglas Vs Razor Ramon for The WWF Intercontinental title

The British Bulldog Vs Diesel for the WWF World title

Yep, not a very good show at all. I don't remember it (haven't seen the show in ten years) but the tag team title match might not be bad...

I'm not picky about spoilers - especially since I actually own both of those tapes and would read full house show results to make preview listings - but a lot of 24/7 viewers like to go fresh into what they haven't seen. I also am finding not reading the results of past shows a nice change - the old brain can only remember so much so seeing things I don't remember is fun.

I was pretty sure they did Yokozuna vs. Mabel on that show but I was hoping I was mistaken. Sigh.

You know, as a kid I used to rent the hell out of that 1992 World Tour tape since I was a huge Bulldog fan. I might have seen the 96 tour as well, but it likely sucks.

Keep in mind for the Savage/HBK match on that tape that Macho was selling the leg from WM 8, since Flair put him in the Figure 4 a lot. In fact I think Savage sold that leg quite literally for the rest of 1992.

You know, as a kid I used to rent the hell out of that 1992 World Tour tape since I was a huge Bulldog fan. I might have seen the 96 tour as well, but it likely sucks.

Keep in mind for the Savage/HBK match on that tape that Macho was selling the leg from WM 8, since Flair put him in the Figure 4 a lot. In fact I think Savage sold that leg quite literally for the rest of 1992.

Did you ever read the story about when Flair won the title back from Savage in his autobiography? It was during a TV taping and it wasn't going well. Savage was just constantly selling the leg injury and trying to "protect" it. Heenan came out and made a sign, which stopped the match. Flair and Savage both walked to the locker room where Vince read them the riot act. They came back out and finished the match. Flair said it never aired on television but Prime Time Wrestling aired it a few weeks after it happened. I had it on tape for years but I stupidly got rid of it. Obviously, Flair and Savage stopping the match didn't make the show. ;)

I saw the match on Superstars at the time and thought it was a very good match, but then again this has been eons ago. What was it that Vince hated about the match? It sounds to me like Macho was just doing a primo job of selling.

I only ever saw clips on Superstars of what I remember to be a REALLY slow count by Hebner while Savage was unconcious (courtesy of Razor Ramon, I believe) in the figure four. I don't believe the full match aired outside of Prime Time, which we did not get in Canada. If it did air on Superstars, I must have missed it that week and saw clips on Challenge.

It looks like they're skipping two weeks worth of RAW (the last one in Aug 97 and the 1st one of Sept 97). Apparently, RAW didn't air those weeks, but why can't 24/7 just air the Friday Night's Main Events that aired in their place? Two weeks of continuity is a lot to skip, esp. considering that the groundwork for the Attitude Era is being laid down.

I saw the match on Superstars at the time and thought it was a very good match, but then again this has been eons ago. What was it that Vince hated about the match? It sounds to me like Macho was just doing a primo job of selling.

I never saw it on Superstars either. But I think I might have briefly stopped watching aroudn that time.

Flair said the match between the two just wasn't working. Flair said that all Savage was concerned about was selling the leg. Haven't read the book in a while but that should be the sum of it.

I'm still trying to understand why Savage selling his leg is a BAD thing. If you watch most of the 1992 booking Flair would destroy Macho's leg repeatedly and Savage was even selling it big time at SummerSlam. Is it shocking that he would continue to sell it during the match with Flair?