TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DrVenkman PhD

WWE 24/7 Classics OnDemand General Discussion

It's funny but back in the 80s there were a lot of roid based angles. If you've watched old AWA shows on ESPN Classic of late you no doubt have seen the Col. DeBeers vs. Scott Hall feud where DeBeers refused to wrestle Hall because he was a roid freak.

Sept_wwe247_web_000.jpg

Was anyone here a subscriber during that month (I'm assuming it's September 2005). I'm curious what the "10 Years of WCW" deal was.

Wow, I wish I was a subscriber during THIS period:

Feb_wwe247_web.jpg

And I thought February 07 and 08 had weak themes.

I thought they would show Rumble '92 as the second big one. No surprise. Haven't seen the whole show in YEARS.

I've never seen the full event, so it's something to look forward to after I order 24/7 tomorrow.

EDIT: Or tonight, which I just did.

Edited by KingPK

Outside of the amusing Piper/Mountie match the actual entire show of RR 92 isn't too amazing. Well and New Foundation vs. Orients is an okay tag match. That show is all about the Rumble.

The company appears to be considering moving 24/7 from an on-demand PPV subscription type service to its own television channel. They are doing a marketing study which I sense was trying to present evidence to cable companies that people will switch from satellite (or to satellite) based on the ability to see the channel as a free service. Basically it seems to me to be a step in the direction Vince has talked about needing for years now, which is a WWE television channel. The key to having that channel with national clearance for old programs, is that if USA changes power and they don’t want wrestling anymore, or My Network goes down and nobody else is interested, they have a clearance for their programming.

OK, I just read this in the Observer, and am not sure what to think, because my crappy little cable company up here only got 24/7 a few weeks ago and I'm loving it, and I have a feeling that if they changed it to a channel, I wouldn't be able to get it anymore.

A broadcast channel may work fine (I have a DVR so no problem) but I like the VOD format right now. I don't want them to change it anytime soon, especially if they had to re-clear all the licencing agreements with cable companies.

I can't believe I missed that Observer note, although I haven't read it in depth yet. Just the contract stuff and some small notes. Or is it from this week's second issue?

I can't believe I missed that Observer note, although I haven't read it in depth yet. Just the contract stuff and some small notes. Or is it from this week's second issue?

It's from this week's second issue. It's the first story in the WWE section.

I much, MUCH rather have a VOD service as I like being able to pick and choose what I want when I want. I work kind of an irregular schedule and don't have a DVR so I would hate missing something.

There's two problems with a regular channel. Either you end up missing a lot due to schedule conflicts, or they replay everything often and you see the same crap over and over. I like the current concept as I've got a certain amount of time to spend watching wrestling, and I can watch it at my leisure. I'd hate to get home from work and tune in only to find out my only viewing option was IYH 5.

It depends as for *me* it would be better if it was it's on channel as I could probably pick up more stuff on it than the ~20 hours a week/2 weeks that are up right now. But then I have the recording space and tuners to do so.

I suppose there's no reason they can't do both ala movie channels. The idea is to have a vehicle for their first run TV if and when the time comes they need to do so (I think that will be a disastrous day, but we'll see). I suspect they would cycle the weeks programming the same way cable channels now cycle programming in a loop, but your Raw and SmackDown would air first run on a Monday and Thursday/Friday and show up OD later.

I suppose there's no reason they can't do both ala movie channels. The idea is to have a vehicle for their first run TV if and when the time comes they need to do so (I think that will be a disastrous day, but we'll see). I suspect they would cycle the weeks programming the same way cable channels now cycle programming in a loop, but your Raw and SmackDown would air first run on a Monday and Thursday/Friday and show up OD later.

That works.

I'd be in favor of it being a regular channel if just because it could lead to them releasing a ridiculous amount of footage to have a regular schedule more like non-movie channels.

I'm curious if they could get enough ad $ to make it worthwhile, though.

I'm curious if they could get enough ad $ to make it worthwhile, though.

Aha, another reason why I wouldn't like the change: it probably wouldn't be commercial free anymore.

Cogeco officially changed the menu name of 24/7 to "WWE Classics" today (with the channel name showing up on the guide as "WWE 24/7 Classics On Demand"). Threw me for a loop for a second.

Hey, WWE.com announced October's theme already! They haven't been this on the ball in awhile.

OCTOBER 2008: TAKE ME OUT TO THE BRAWL GAME

All October on WWE 24/7 Classics On Demand, we look back at baseball themed matches and moments such as:

At WrestleMania XIV, baseball’s hit king, Pete Rose, feels the wrath of Kane.

On WWE Superstars, Mr. Perfect shows off his hitting skills with Baseball Hall of Famer Wade Boggs.

On NWA World Championship Wrestling, the Four Horsemen use some heavy lumber on Dusty Rhodes.

The Showdown at Shea: The historic outdoor event from Shea Stadium in New York featured WWE Champion Bob Backlund and Pedro Morales vs. The Wild Samoans for WWE Tag Team title. Tatsumi Fujinami vs Chavo Guerrero for Jr. Heavyweight Title. Steel Cage grudge match between Bruno Sammartino and Larry Zbyszko. Andre the Giant vs Hulk Hogan. Ken Patera vs Tony Atlas for WWE Intercontinental Title.

Plus, relive great moments from the Hall of Fame career of Big John Studd

Forgot to check the update this morning, but damn, that looks like a great way to start of what should be a wicked month of programming.

As for October, I ditto the reactions to being able to see The Showdown at Shea. Pretty historic card right there.

OCTOBER 2008: TAKE ME OUT TO THE BRAWL GAME

Grab some peanuts and Cracker Jacks and join WWE 24/7 Classics in October for “Take Me Out to the Brawl Game” – a look at memorable events, matches and moments involving America’s pastime.

Legends

Hall of Fame: Big John Studd – Follow the career of one of wrestling’s true giants, from his early days as an Executioner, to his success in the AWA and NWA, and on to Superstardom in the WWE. See the evolution of Big John Studd’s famous Bodyslam Challenge and the legendary rivalry with “8th Wonder of the World,” Andre the Giant. Plus, see Studd’s emotional 2004 WWE Hall of Fame Induction. Hosted by Gene Okerlund.

The Big Ones

Showdown at Shea 8/9/90 – This historic outdoor WWE supercard at Shea Stadium in New York City is presented for the first time ever on television. This incredible event features Bruno Sammartino battling former protégé Larry Zbyszko inside a Steel Cage. See a rare battle between Hulk Hogan and Andre the Giant. WWE Champion Bob Backlund teams with Pedro Morales to challenge the Wild Samoans for the Tag Team titles. Plus, Japanese Superstar Antonio Inoki, Tatsumi Fujinami and others in action.

Old School – Two (2) rarely seen cards from historic venues. First we go back to 1988… the Dodgers are on their way to a World Series victory, while WWE invades the Los Angeles Sports Arena. Hulk Hogan faces King Haku in a Helmet Match. The Ultimate Warrior defends the Intercontinental title against the Honky Tonk Man. Jake “the Snake” Roberts battles “Ravishing” Rick Rude. Then we go back to 1986… the Red Sox are looking to end their World Series drought and WWE takes over the Boston Garden for a tremendous event. “Macho Man” Randy Savage defends the Intercontinental Championship against George “The Animal” Steele. The Machines get a boost from “Piper Machine” to face King Kong Bundy, Big John Studd and Bobby Heenan.

TV Classics

The Monday Night War – WWE and WCW continue to vie for sports entertainment supremacy with two (2) head-to-head battles. Raw highlights include “Hitman” Bret Hart vs. Triple H and the debut of Kane. Nitro features high-flying cruiserweight match-ups as Eddie Guerrero faces Ultimate Dragon and Rey Mysterio battles Dean Malenko. Plus, The Steiner Brothers challenge nWo’s Scott Hall and Syxx for the WCW Tag Team Championship. Hosted by Michael Cole.

NWA Supertowns on the Superstation – Special presentation from 1987 as the top stars of the NWA are featured in great matches from around the United States. World Champion “Nature Boy” Ric Flair faces Nikita Koloff. TV Champion Tully Blanchard battles Dusty Rhodes. Plus, a dangerous Scaffold Match pits the Road Warriors against The Midnight Express and much more.

Shorties

WWE’s favorite Big Leaguer, Abe “Knuckleball” Schwartz, steps out of the dugout to bring you baseball themed memories from the world of sports entertainment. Moments feature all-time baseball greats Wade Boggs, Dave Winfield and Pete Rose. See Cactus Jack and Mikey Whipwreck face Public Enemy in an ECW Brawl Game Match. Plus, don’t miss lumber swinging legends like “American Dream” Dusty Rhodes, Sting and the Four Horsemen

Survivor Series 1992 won the PYBO. The next vote is between Halloween Havoc 1992 (yes!), IYH: Buried Alive, or No Mercy 2004. Winner out of those should be clear cut.

Yes, I totally called the Abe thing! I also didn't realize Showdown at Shea was in 1990 :P

I stuffed the ballot for Survivor Series 92. Well, not really, but I think I voted for it once a day or so. I haven't seen it in years and while the undercard kinda stinks, it should be fun to see the two main events.

Halloween Havoc 92 and Buried Alive both aired in October 2006. I know what 909 is thinking, because it sounds exciting to see a WCW PPV you may have never seen, but it's a pretty bad show.