TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest hbk1010

Do you enjoy seeing a Woman get beat up, if shes an annoying heel?

Guest hbk1010

Ever since the late 90’(the start of the attitude era), that’s when woman were getting a lot more sexy and even having bigger roles. I remember at WrestleMania 16 when Stephanie McMahon got Rock Bottomed and People’s Elbowed the whole crowd went absolutely wild. I don’t even think anyone cared that she was a woman. Yes we all know it’s fake, but she is a woman never the less.

Even the smarter fans on the internet would love it as well, I remember visiting forums back when Trish Stratus got man handled by Viscera. There was people saying like “hell yeah, shut her up already” and “I hope Trish stays off TV for a while she is so annoying’. But if they’re so annoying, aren’t they doing there jobs right? Heels are meant to be hated.

There has also been times when the woman is a face and fans still hope they get hurt. I think it was back in 2003 and Stephanie McMahon was taking on The Big show in some sort of match. I remember reading on the forums “I hope Steph gets chokeslammed”, “I hope she gets pressed out of the ring and never returns to TV again”. lol I guess she wasen’t working the face character properly.

Anyway that’s all I got to say, was just wondering everyone else’s opinion on the subject.

It really all depends on how they are portrayed on TV. When Steph got Rock Bottomed at Wrestlemania 2000, the place went batshit crazy. Admittedly so did I. It's fun to watch a "loud mouth bitch" get what's coming to her from time to time, but in the end , you have to remind yourself Steph is still a woman, and a man shouldn't be assaulting her.

Assault on women is really dealt with kind of strangely in WWE. A few years back, Jericho handcuffed Test to the ring ropes, then held Stacy Keibler in the Walls of Jericho, while she screamed and cried and begged him to release the hold. The entire time JR and the King were condemning Jericho for doing that to her. Just a few short months later, Austin was doing one of his beer drinking things in the ring, and offered Stacy one. She drank it, but spit it out saying she didn't like beer, so she ate a Stunner for her troubles. All JR had to say was "She should have drank the beer! STONE COLD! STONE COLD!"

It was OK for Austin to give her a Stunner for not liking beer, but it was horrible for her to be put in the Walls of Jericho just so Jericho could get some heat against Test.

Lita taking the 10,000 chairshots of doom from Steve Austin in the Spring of 2001 was especially hard to watch.

In the end, I really don't like having to watch a woman get assaulted by a man in or out of the ring.

I would get annoyed anytime that a woman got attacked by Austin (as a face) because J.R. would always excuse it.

At Bad Blood, Austin stuns Mae Young. J.R.'s only thoughts are "Well, that's Austin, he's a rattlesnake, you never know when he'll strike."

The next night on Raw, Test is abusing Stacy some more, only now J.R. is all "Damn Test's black soul to hell" and the like.

Generally, I don't approve of women getting beaten up in general. The only exception that come to mind are when the Dudleyz spent a good month trying to put Trish through a table, mainly because Trish was really fucking with Bubba's mind and the entire angle was leading up to that one spot of retribution.

Bobby Heenan brought up this point in a shoot interview with Cornette. In talking about women managers/valets, he said there is no pay-off in the future, other than the T&A aspect. The point of a manager is that, eventually, he's going to get his ass kicked by the person he's antagonizing. The majority of women managers/valents, Sherri being a definite exception, cannot elicit the same response you'd get from a male manager taking a beating.

After seeing the entire run of ECW on TNN last year, I can safely say that they went WAY OVERBOARD on violence on women. It was fuckin ridiculous.

That said, I didn't mind what happened last night when Rotundo gave Jillian the airplane spin. It was certainly silly and most marks would agree that an annoying woman isn't going to draw much sympathy getting dizzy and placed on her feet.

Sherri was definitely special in the regard that Hogan could whip her from pillar to post and no one (men or women) seemed to feel sorry for her since everyone knew she'd be back angrier, crazier, and louder than ever.

Who the hell enjoys seeing a woman get beat up anyway ? However, since this IS wrestling after all where there's no such thing as logic (where a woman who doesn't want to either take off her clothes in front of thousands or having bi tendencies is either a jezebel or the most frigid woman there is), there are some cases where attacks can be effective. In my opinion, these attacks can only be effective in two scenarios :

- A face hitting his finisher on the bitchy heel. Case in point : Rock Bottom on Stephanie at WM 2000 or Austin giving the Stunner to Chyna at No Way Out 1998. Those were the first times Chyna or Steph were getting hit after months of getting away with their interferences. Those kind of attacks should only happen once since it will never have the same impact as it originally did.

- For a heel, there shouldn't be any serious kind of attacks like Austin hitting Lita with a chair. There should be a threat of attacking a woman, getting a "ooooh" moment, but it can't go too far. Also, those scenarios should always have the face making the save to prevent further damage. A good exemple of a scenario was recently showed on 24/7 in the Dusty vs Tully match : the Horsemen pushed Baby Doll on the floor and they were about to break her leg like they did to Rhodes and the whole locker room made the save. You have great heat put on the heels but you haven't crossed the line. The angle where Tully slapped Baby Doll was great but it was pushing the limit, you can't go further than this.

One moment that stuck out for me...when Rick Steamboat slapped Medusa in the spring of '92. That was truly a "Holy Shit" moment as Steamboat was the last person you'd expect to see do something like that. Then before the shock wears off, they finished off the angle brilliantly by having the Dangerous Alliance jump Steamboat and climax with Rick Rude ramming Steamboat's head into the concrete floor and breaking his nose.

That was a moment where they did it perfectly.

After seeing the entire run of ECW on TNN last year, I can safely say that they went WAY OVERBOARD on violence on women. It was fuckin ridiculous.

That's basically because Heyman understood his demographic...while his fans claimed to be cool and hardcore, they were basically mostly fat comic book reading internet geeks who probably weren't too successful with women in real life, so they got off on seeing some bitch get powerbombed through a table.

In AAA, it happens every week. They have 8 person tags which is a male/female/tranny/midget teaming. Seeing Gran Apache give his daughter a senton isn't that bad.

But I remember Rhino piledriving Sandman's wife through a table and that was brutal. Kinda hard to watch like Lita getting the shit knocked out of her by Austin and HHH. The worst is Mickie Knuckles. Seeing her and Ian Rotten make each other bleed is disgusting.

I don't particularly care for it, but I don't see how it's wrong, especially since the bulk of the time it's from the woman antagonizing the man. I remember trying to explain this view at a forum I used to frequent all the time when I got the 'net in late '99, and people were calling me misogynistic. Now? I'd say I'm more about equality than anything else: if the women want to get physically involved with the men, then they'll be treated as complete equals. That means anything two men would do to each other (wrestling moves, chairshots, table spots, etc.) can be done to the woman, and vice versa. Matters not to me so long as it's entertaining.

I love it when its Honky/Macho level of tease to build a match.

I like it when it was Sherri getting tossed around by Warrior after attacking him endlessly to further the Macho/Warrior feud.

I not found of it but it sells the feud when Jericho puts Stacy in the walls for extra heat.

I really don't like it when its Dudley's trying to put Trish through a table angle for the payoff not being a match.

I hate it when its Regal/Vince/Steph attack on Trish because it didnt move a storyline at all. Plus the barking like a dog thing was a little too much.

I utterly hate it when its Stone Cold 10K chairshot on Lita.

After seeing it a million times over, I'm really indifferent to it. I was more disturbed by that bladejob (or was it hardway) that Lita did several years back.

Yes we all know it’s fake, but she is a woman never the less.

From this perspective, I have no problem with it what-so-ever. It's not like I watch Trish going through a table and think "Oh my god, how could they subject HER to that!?" That's such a sexist point of view. So long as the female is trained to take the bump and is willing to take the bump, I don't really see the big problem. Is a female wrestler any less safe taking a move from a male competitor than a female one? Is Lita in any more danger from a chairshot from Stone Cold than she is a chairshot from, say, Victoria? Is Stephanie really going to be any more endangered by an elbow drop than anyone else The Rock delivered it to? No. I'd imagine, if anything, most guys would be more careful with the gals than the guys.

Where do you draw the line on this 'abuse' to women, too? Are you disturbed by Chyna wrestling Chris Jericho (besides the obvious reasons :P )? Would you be disturbed by Awesome Kong taking a move from a male opponent? Or is it just the frail petite young women that it's wrong to subject to wrestling against men?

From a perspective of the image it sends out, I'm not a big fan of it in most cases. But I'm certainly not 'disturbed' by it, so long as it's within reason.

Couldn't care less. I view it like any other wrestling angle; if it's good it's good, if it sucks it sucks.

This is how I see it too, if that alleviates any guilt you boys might have. Protip: It should.

-Annie

For me, it depends on the context. Things like Chyna trying to prove she can hang with the guys in the ring I have no problem with. On the other hand, Austin stunning Stacy for not drinking a beer was one of the more tasteless things I remember seeing in wrestling.

On the other hand, Austin stunning Stacy for not drinking a beer was one of the more tasteless things I remember seeing in wrestling.

For me that falls under the "it sucks" category. Austin's supposed to be a good guy but that's just an asshole thing to do regardless of what the recipient packs between their legs. However, people seem all against Austin wailing on Lita with the chair, but he was supposed to be a crazy scumbag heel.

I've smacked a few bitches in my day, but only ones who deserved it. I had a GF in college who had a habit of hitting when she was angry or didn't get her way. I let it go constantly. But one day I got sick of it, grabbed her by her throat and choked her out as I slammed her head into the counter top. When she came to and cleaned up all the blood from her face, she was a different woman. A TAMED and WELL-TRAINED woman

I've smacked a few bitches in my day, but only ones who deserved it. I had a GF in college who had a habit of hitting when she was angry or didn't get her way. I let it go constantly. But one day I got sick of it, grabbed her by her throat and choked her out as I slammed her head into the counter top. When she came to and cleaned up all the blood from her face, she was a different woman. A TAMED and WELL-TRAINED woman

info-bondage-2.jpg

I can't say I more than vaguely remember the attack on Lita that people are talking about here. Anyone have a clip of it?

Youtube to the rescue

I like how the comments run the table from "stone cold and hhh must have been drunk" to "i like seeing women get beat up". Good times.

That was ridiculous. The WWE has far too often pushed the envelope.

And to answer the thread question, no, not at all.

What I hate is when WWE books monster heel vs. face diva matches every time a face diva pisses off a heel GM for laughing about something that happened to him. Then she gets destroyed by the monster heel with the top face coming out way too late to save her from the beating.

I tell you what, Lita took that Pedigree better than about 95% of the males on the roster have ever done. Too bad she couldn't sell the beatdown worth a shit.