TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Nate

History of ECW

Is this beatdown from The Sandman the genesis of Gertner's neck brace?

No, that came after The Eliminators hit Total Elimination on Gertner at Barely Legal 97.

Anyhow the previous episode (6/18/96), during the Pulp Fiction promos, WWE muted Blue Meanie (doing Bluedust) when he sang Shes A Maniac to quote Chris Farley in Tommy Boy, as Stevie was rinsing off his blue paint. Damn you can't even have a wrestler sing two words of a copyrighted song I guess. And I know this because I remember this episode well,and I even have the original airing on tape.

Hey it's the 100th episode of the History of ECW! Some funny interplay in the opening studio segment ("I made some of the worst wrestling you ever saw sound interesting" - Tazz referring to the Eastern Championship Wrestling episodes).

There's some wacky audio glitch during Pitbull #2 entrance. You hear nothing, then you hear the dubbed ECW theme that they also use for The Pitbulls. Then you hear the "channel changing" sound effect they use to cut between Joey Styles and matches, then some hockey arena type fanfare music, then finally The Ramone's "Blitzkrieg Bop" (though no lyrics are heard).

I know people give TNA (and even WWE with the Scramble matches) guff over complicated rules that take multiple screens to explain the rules (and with good cause), but Jesus Christ, the "Rage Of The Cage" match Joey was plugging? What the HELL was that all about?

Let me see if I have this correct.

It was a "six man tag" between Raven/Richards/Brian Lee and Dreamer/Sandman/Terry Gordy. Raven and Sandman were inside a cage. Richards and Gordy were brawling from somewhere else to the floor - whoever got to the floor first gave their team a 2 on 1 advantage in the cage. Meanwhile, Dreamer and Lee were having a "Falls Count Anywhere" in Philadelphia match OUTSIDE the cage. AND, if anyone pinned Richards, Raven lost his ECW title.

Huh?

Yeah that was a match I'm sure Russo had to have seen that influenced his later work. And since Raven didn't lose the belt all that stuff really ended up meaning nada.

I noticed with the last episode that was, Holiday Hell, and probably the episode on now, ECW shows on 24/7 now have a warning screen advising that the shows are intended for an adult audience. This bodes well.

Wow. My only exposure to Louie Spicolli until now was his run as Scott Hall's lackey in WCW (which I loved but it never produced any matches other than a couple of squashes), but he looks like he could go in this match against Devon Storm. Shame.

Having not looked at 24/7 at all in the past two weeks, is this the same episode where Dreamer fights Taz? I have that original airing on a tape somewhere and I remember thinking that ECW could have been onto something with Spicolli. He was pretty over as a midcard face for a while there.

Having not looked at 24/7 at all in the past two weeks, is this the same episode where Dreamer fights Taz? I have that original airing on a tape somewhere and I remember thinking that ECW could have been onto something with Spicolli. He was pretty over as a midcard face for a while there.

Wow. My only exposure to Louie Spicolli until now was his run as Scott Hall's lackey in WCW (which I loved but it never produced any matches other than a couple of squashes), but he looks like he could go in this match against Devon Storm. Shame.

Have they gotten to the episode where Louie fights Sabu or the match vs Johnny Smith? Both are pretty good matches for Spicolli.

That's an understatement Zack, Louie was insanely over at the bingo hall in the most recent episode. The pops he got caught me off-guard as I had forgetten how over he got in such a small time, due mainly to in-ring talent and natural charisma alone. Time nakes you forget he was the man to popularize the death valley driver. The fans ate up everything he did in that match vs Storm.

Joey joking with Taz about his hatred of Devon Storm was hilarious.

Not to sound misogynistic, but I think that when they started chanting "One More Time" after he Spicolli Drove Damian Kane(?), if he had done it to the girl instead, he would have been over for life as an ECW Arena god.

It's ironic that the ECW stuff from that mid 1996 era that survives with time is the stuff people cared a bit less about at the time. The whole Raven/Sandman angle doesn't really hold up that well with time, but the RVD/Sabu feud and subsequent teaming against Furnas/Kroffat is tremendous stuff. As is the Spicolli stuff.

Yeah. It's not amazing, but it's one of RVD's better matches without Lynn, Sabu, or Storm (face it: you know you like the few RVD/Lance Storm bouts there were) in ECW.

It is decent but some of the spots are strange looking, as in you could tell RVD wasn't quite there yet as a performer. And by the way RVD and Balls Mahoney had some kick ass matches on TV, not so much at the one PPV however (it was adequate but overlong). Bigelow/RVD was awesome too, but they never wrestled each other much beyond the title change.

That's quite the swimsuit Francine has in the opening of the soon to be gone episode of ECW. Douglas kind of resembles Billy Gunn when his hair is wet.

Tazz's comments about Devon Storm were amusing, now I have to go find the rebuttal Storm sent F4W.