TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Nate

Primetime Disscussion Thread

Brain's got some gems on this week's PTW.

"You've got the Young Stallions with 310 teeth between the two of them."

(referring to Savage wearing a black and white stripe shirt) "Look, he's got on Patera's old shirt."

"And if you don't own a TV, you have no idea what I'm talking about."

Gorilla: Call your cable provider and tell them you want to be a part of Survivor Series.

Heenan: And if you live in Guam, just yell "Hey!"

The whole concept of Hogan's "camouflage" promo is insane.

What was with his heavy breathing too, like he was sucking air. Probably got into Piper's stash of cocaine.

Heenan took a few funny shots at McGuirk, saying "You're talking about dogs. You should know about that." Also another funny Heenan line is his explanation as to why Jim Neihart submitted.

"The referee asked him if it hurt and he said yes. Then he rung the bell."

That was a favorite of the Brain's.

We get to see the Stand Back music video too.

Eh the Stand Back stuff wasn't the hilarious Vince footage but was more just set to various matches. That entire Hogan interview with everyone else was truly surreal...great stuff. Orndorff looked like he was embarrassed to be there.

Here's a question regarding the Survivor Series booking. Was it always the plan for Graham to be taken out before that match and thus Muraco got that spot? Or did they really think Superstar could still go at all even after the bad hip?

I'm not sure about Graham. But he was definitely in no shape to wrestle at that point.

Monsoon acknowledged that Patera was a former IC Champ. Ventura tells Bruno that he remembers him strangling Superstar Graham with his shirt.

I believe the plan was to have Graham wrestle, but when it became clear he was in no shape to, they took him out of the match. I didn't realize they waited so long execute that angle. I'm imagining they announced on Superstars that weekend that Muraco was in and Graham was out.

I actually never knew Graham was originally supposed to be in the match until I got a poster promoting the event several years ago and saw Graham with Hogan's team.

The New PTW this week 11/26/87 features the Primetime Wrestling debut of some guy, Ultimate Warrior something or other. Wonder whatever became of him?

This is probably the worst content, wrestling-wise, I've seen on PTW since originally subscribing to the channel in 2007. They obviously didn't want anyone watching the Survivor Series to miss anything even remotely important. How about Bobby Heenan breaking out a "that's what she said" almost 20 years before it became a huge quote? Gorilla shouldn't have stretched that Bundy figure out so much. It made for a disturbing visual.

I could be wrong but the way Gorilla said it, Survivor Series was either occuring or was happening as the show aired. It's possible it was going on at the same time...I think Prime Time might have still been on Thursdays at this point. You know, I remember watching Prime Time religiously back in the day but I never remember them being on Thursday.

Since my Prime Time memory is apparently not up to snuff, I was wondering...a while back I read that Andre's performance was so bad at the Survivor Series that they didn't show footage from the event for two months. Anyone know if that's true? I wonder how they discussed the event on Prime Time. Gorilla ragged Heenan's team for weeks leading into the show but it was Heenan's team (namely Andre) that emerged victorious. Gorilla was never one to eat his words though.

We should soon be coming up to the point where Heenan sells Andre's contract to Ted Dibease. That should make for some fun Heenan/Gorilla banter. It's a shame Heenan couldn't have still be managing Andre when he won the WWF Championship. Brain deserved to manage the champ and get a big one over Hogan, even if it lasted only two minutes.

True, true. I think Heenan was supposed to be the original manager of Flair but quit because he couldn't keep up with Flair's partrying.

Airing at the same time as the Survivor Series...not a smart move by Prime Time. USA Network had literally nothing back then...they probably could have moved it a few days sooner.

I could be wrong but the way Gorilla said it, Survivor Series was either occuring or was happening as the show aired. It's possible it was going on at the same time...I think Prime Time might have still been on Thursdays at this point. You know, I remember watching Prime Time religiously back in the day but I never remember them being on Thursday.

Since my Prime Time memory is apparently not up to snuff, I was wondering...a while back I read that Andre's performance was so bad at the Survivor Series that they didn't show footage from the event for two months. Anyone know if that's true? I wonder how they discussed the event on Prime Time. Gorilla ragged Heenan's team for weeks leading into the show but it was Heenan's team (namely Andre) that emerged victorious. Gorilla was never one to eat his words though.

We should soon be coming up to the point where Heenan sells Andre's contract to Ted Dibease. That should make for some fun Heenan/Gorilla banter. It's a shame Heenan couldn't have still be managing Andre when he won the WWF Championship. Brain deserved to manage the champ and get a big one over Hogan, even if it lasted only two minutes.

Gorilla said that after this episode they would be moving to mondays

Interesting. But then again, the format of the Survivor Series consisted of insignifcant elimination matches. No titles on the line.

I just watched most of Prime Time. While I agree wrestling-wise the show was terrible, I thought that the Heenan/Monsoon interaction was top-notch. Heenan was really on his game here. Those two are proof positive that you don't need to curse or have sexual innuendo (though Heenan would slip in an occassional off-color joke) to be funny.

A few notes...

-The next episode would indeed mark the return of Prime Time to Monday. My guess is the ratings weren't so hot at that spot though the WWF would try to spin it differently. Why they didn't do this for that week's show, I'll never know.

-Favorite Heenan line was after Monsoon talked about how bad 1987 was for Superstar Graham and how the next year might be better for him. Heenan says "Next year might be better. They might lynch him."

-Got to love the topical humor. Heenan claims Rick Rude is the one whose causing trouble in the Princess Diana/Prince Charles marriage. "She wants the Ravishing One...and the Brain."

-The debut of the Ultimate Warrior, who was still pretty raw at this point. It's interesting how they keep comparing his body to Rick Rude's and how more than a year later they would be feuding.

-Debut of the Demolition music video kicked ass.

-I'll echo the point that stretching out the King Kong Bundy doll created a distrubing visual. I guess that was supposed to be the sexual innuendo for the show that week.

-Talk of the Slammys. Maybe we'll get to see Stand Back or that kick-ass backstage brawl between Harley Race and Jim Duggan.

I liked how Mike McGuirk was talking about the Ultimate Warrior and how his facepaint coukd throw people off. Heenan waits a few seconds and just deadpans, "Your's does." I laughed like mad.

Bruiser Chong summed up my exact thoughts of the show, right down to Heenan getting off a "that's what she said" and Monsoon's obscene Bundy doll stretching.

I found it odd how they began the show saying they were obviously pre-taped since Heenan and Monsoon would have been in Richfield for Survivor Series, but during the course of the show they made "live" references to how many turkeys Andre's team ate backstage and that sort of thing.

-Talk of the Slammys. Maybe we'll get to see Stand Back or that kick-ass backstage brawl between Harley Race and Jim Duggan.

I could swear I heard Stand Back in the background of some promo or other they had on PTW. Might have been the previous episode, though; I can't recall.

On the Primetime episode dated either 12-28-87 or 12-31-87 (I'm not certain which is the correct date) you guys are in luck as they show both the Vince "Stand Back" performance and the Duggan/Race brawl from the Slammys

ALso the next episode (11-30-87) is the first show where they host it outside of the studio - I think Heenan and Monsoon are at Caesar's Palace if I recall correctly

I actually like Gene as the host of TNT. The show still sucks, but his insistence on never straying far from the subtle mature humor keeps it interesting. Bret Hart only seems to be on the show so Gene can mock his hair ("it looks like hell"). Though they don't go with the rest of his outfit, the Nikes Bret is sporting here are badass.