TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Nate

Primetime Disscussion Thread

Wow, it really is like Survivor Series never happened - right into Slammys hype. How bizarre (great, now I have that song in my head).

Apparently Jake Roberts has returned to the WWF from his "Oriental tour". Ok then. Wasn't he at Survivor Series?

The video package on Brutus Beefcake where he cuts some hair, spraypaints jobbers, and then shows them a mirror causing them to comedically freak out was entertaining.

I like this Don Muraco promo where he calls out Butch Reed as Bruce Reed, "what your mommy and daddy named ya".

Yeah, they hyped it for two months and then not even a peep about the show. I figured we'd at least get Heenan gloating about Andre winning the main event. Anyone know why they act as if the show didn't happen? I know some have mentioned Andre's poor performance, but it couldn't have been so bad (compared to the quality of his matches at that point) that they'd treat it like some house show.

And I'll assume they're in Vegas to tape the Slammy's, right?

Maybe it has to do with the nature of the event itself. I mean, Vinnie Mac only started Survivor Series to stick it to Jim Crockett and hurt his Starrcade 87. So maybe it was just viewed as a one-off sort of thing. Not to mention the results didn't have any real storyline affects. I admit though, it's very odd and it's a shame we don't have Heenan sticking Andre's win right into Gorilla's face.

I damn near pissed my pants when Gorilla called Heenan a walking advertisement for birth control

That's an old favorite of Monsoon's. He used that to describe heel Lou Albano countless times. Blassie said that once about a crowd. An oldie but a goodie.

A few notes...

-Frenchie Martin apparently has a Goldberg-like streak going. It appears that Frenchie (Andre the Giant's close friend) has been on the last couple of weeks and is always winning. Even Poffo is doing jobs to him (twice) and Poffo does two jobs on the show. Weird.

-Very cool them being in Caesar's but it's clear that it wasn't the best day to shoot. The wind was whipping strong and blowing Heenan and what was left of Monsoon's hair everywhere.

-It's been said before but the look on Vince's face during the Piledriver video is classic.

-Which reminds me...you can take Gorilla and Heenan out of the Prime Time studio but you can't take the merchandise out of Prime Time. They still have a bunch of crap in front of them.

-Some sexual innuendo as Gorilla asks Heenan if Miss Betty is at the ranch.

-Frenchie Martin apparently has a Goldberg-like streak going. It appears that Frenchie (Andre the Giant's close friend) has been on the last couple of weeks and is always winning. Even Poffo is doing jobs to him (twice) and Poffo does two jobs on the show. Weird.

Frenchie Bernard was Andre's friend/caretaker, not Frenchie Martin.

Don't worry, you don't really miss anything. The matches are almost as bad as the prior weeks and there aren't even any interesting segments of note. Even Heenan and Gorilla don't drop the quotables with as much regularity here.

Let's see, that PTW show was from 11-30-87 so I would bet most of it was taped before the Survivor Series actually took place. Thus the lack of hype or mentions. Wouldn't shock me if the next show had plenty of Series fallout on it.

I did at least like the New Dream Team vs. Young Stallions on this show.

Resnick didn't last long in the WWF. It didn't really sound like he did much either, since Mean Gene was still ruling the interviews. According to some biographies, Resnick had already left the WWF by 1987 and went to the women's wrestling group, LPWA.

Let's see, that PTW show was from 11-30-87 so I would bet most of it was taped before the Survivor Series actually took place. Thus the lack of hype or mentions. Wouldn't shock me if the next show had plenty of Series fallout on it.

I did at least like the New Dream Team vs. Young Stallions on this show.

I agree. I remember watching shows a week after a PPV, and Gorilla would flat out say, "Tune in NEXT week for recaps" and such.

Also, I'm hazy on the history and all, but how did Andre get the rematch with Hogan at the Main Event? (The next big show coming up in the timeline) Was it based off the fact Andre won the match at Survivor Series?

I think it was, yeah.

I forgot... the first Royal Rumble is right around the corner, and that features the contract signing between Hogan and Andre for the match on The Main Event.

Wow, that was one of the first wrestling shows I can recall seeing, since I remember Andre beating down the poor Bulldogs. I know I first started watching between that first S. Series and the first Rumble.

But we're approaching the beginning of the end of his title reign with Dibiase wanting to buy his title reign. Love how crazy that made the Brian.

Beefcake/Valentine was pretty good too.

It's weird how the commentators don't make a big deal about Hart being Valentine's new manager once the match starts, given Ventura's pre-match interview. I'll assume that because the Superstars tapings tended to go on for ungodly durations, Hart had already appeared as Valentine's manager earlier in the taping.

I'm only a bit into this show, but Heenan's already had some great lines in the studio vis-a-vis Gorilla's anatomy references and giving clearance to air the SNME footage.

Cool seeing them get into the DiBiase angle, too. Since I wore the Coliseum Video of Wrestlemania IV or as a kid, I've seen many of the interviews and segments associated with this angle.

I love how Tunney was "out to lunch" around 9pm.

Gorilla Monsoon was very open about the fact they weren't live and often mentioned that the show was being taped early in the day.