TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Nate

Primetime Disscussion Thread

I watched TNT before it expired, I didn't even realize that fake Macho Man was Lord Alfred. It was a pretty brutal segment though. Monsoon and Heenan were the highlight of the show. I did like the recap of the Hogan/"Orndoff" angle though.

Prime Time is pretty good this week. Some nice angle advancement with the DiBiase trying to buy the belt saga (Heenan making fun of Jack Tunney's vague answer about the legality of it is great) and Jumping Bomb Angels vs. The Glamour Girls is always a good time.

I think these are the only TNT episodes left to air:

7/30/86

8/6/86

8/13/86

8/20/86 (not sure if there was an episode on this date and I believe it was then pre-empted for 2 week)

9/10/86

9/17/86 (this is definitely the final episode

I hope they air a new show and don't go back to the beginning of TNT

I agree that Prime Time was very good.

-We finally get a reference to the Survivor Series at the beginning of the show.

-The Jumping Bomb Angels vs The Glamour Girls is another awesome match and their style still holds up today. Got to love the fact that the match actually ended in a powerbomb.

-I don't remember the Demolition vs Haynes and Patera feud. Must have been a very short-lived program. Love Ventura's line that Patera "must think he's back in Cell Block C."

-Heenan and Monsoon were great as always, with both getting off some great lines.

-The Jumping Bomb Angels vs The Glamour Girls is another awesome match and their style still holds up today.

When I first read this, I thought it said that their hair styles still hold up today. I slapped my forehead and then quickly realized I'm an idiot.

Kudos to Bobby for calling bullshit on dubbing the Slammy's the 37th annual. His jab at Putski's short frame is priceless, too.

Yeah, what the hell was with calling it the 37th Annual? You might slip that past a little kid but an adult? That company can be weird sometimes.

Watched the new TNT episode. A lot of time was spent building the new feud between Hogan and Orndorff. I say Hogan hit him intentionally. ;) Some good lines by Heenan and Okerlund along the way and Lanny Poffo We also get an appearance by Harley Race. Although he's not acknowledged as a former NWA World Champion, Okerlund puts him over as a great competitior and one of the famous names in the sport. Lord Alfred Hayes makes reference to going to Kansas City to challenge Harley in 1976. Not one of Harley's better interview segment but having gotten to see more of Harley Race on 24/7 and various DVDs, I have to say that he reeked all kinds of awesome. Great worker, legit tough guy, who cut realistic promos. Him and Tito Santana are two of my favorite "24/7" wrestlers.

This PTW episode currently has too much bad wrestling and too little Heenan / Monsoon. Didn't we already see this Warrior / Iron Mike match a few months ago? Maybe it was on an Old School show before.

Ah well I did at least enjoy Stallions/Conquistadors from this show and the main event was fun as well. They did book the same lame countout for Houston/Davis and Strike Force/Islanders though. I've always thought that if guys were making every attempt to get back in the ring the ref needs to let it go and stop the count at 9.

There was a fun exchange between Monsoon and Heenan on that Prime Time episode...

Heenan: "They've been treating me great. They had a sign at the hotel saying "Blue Eyes is back in town.""

Monsoon: "That's Frank Sinatra, Brain."

Heenan: "Who?"

Monsoon "You keep talking like that, you might find yourself sleeping with the fishes."

Heenan: "He's going to take me scuba diving?"

Good Lord, this 12/24/90 Prime Time is full of awesome nostalgia from my era of wrestling. A Mountie vignette, Ted DiBiase buying off The Fink as a set-up to Mr. Perfect getting the IC title back, Royal Rumble updates~! (Andre was supposed to be in it!), etc. Heenan and Monsoon are at it right out of the gate too ("Where do I stick this?" "I'd like to tell you where you can stick it..."). Fun stuff all around for me even if most of the matches are squashes.

Then they hype their 2.5 hour New Year's Eve special which has Shawn vs. DiBiase and Jannetty vs. Martel. I wish that was on too :(

Good Lord, this 12/24/90 Prime Time is full of awesome nostalgia from my era of wrestling. A Mountie vignette, Ted DiBiase buying off The Fink as a set-up to Mr. Perfect getting the IC title back, Royal Rumble updates~! (Andre was supposed to be in it!), etc. Heenan and Monsoon are at it right out of the gate too ("Where do I stick this?" "I'd like to tell you where you can stick it..."). Fun stuff all around for me even if most of the matches are squashes.

Then they hype their 2.5 hour New Year's Eve special which has Shawn vs. DiBiase and Jannetty vs. Martel. I wish that was on too :(

Yeah, I was hoping to see that New Year's special too. They should really air it next week.

Fun banter from Gorilla and Heenan. I wish they had the Prime Time from 1989 where Heenan had to dress up as Santa and then he tells the kids Santa is a "swerve" and doesn't exist. This leads to Roddy Piper hitting the studio and beating him up (with comedic grunting) and getting fired from the show. I remember being pissed as a kid when he wasn't back.

I miss the old Update segments and the ones used to hype PPV. Wish they could have shown more of Hennig/Von Erich. Von Erich was his usual coked out self during his brief promo.

-- Pretty funny to see an Undertaker promo where he points to the camera and laughs.

-- Dustin Rhodes' fake Cajun accent is hilariously terrible.

-- This is one of those rare appearances by alternate universe Jimmy Snuka, wearing a goatee, long tights, and boots.

-- That had to be the most subdued Ultimate Warrior promo I've ever seen.

-- Pretty funny to see an Undertaker promo where he points to the camera and laughs.

-- Dustin Rhodes' fake Cajun accent is hilariously terrible.

-- This is one of those rare appearances by alternate universe Jimmy Snuka, wearing a goatee, long tights, and boots.

-- That had to be the most subdued Ultimate Warrior promo I've ever seen.

Snuka was disgustingly juiced on this show.

-The Mountie's promo and Gorilla talking about him was classic. He does acknowledge whom he used to be.

Monsoon's reaction to Heenan smashing his gift was classic. "WHAT ARE YOU DOING?!"

Also love the bit with George Steinbrenner in the audience cheering on Heenan and Perfect. The strangest thing might have been Lord Alfred constantly saying how baseball did an injustice by kicking him out.

As a Giant fan, noticed Heenan talking about Phil Simms getting injured. This would lead to Hostedler taking over and the Giants winning the Super Bowl. Good times!

The Rockers photo used for the Royal Rumble update is perhaps the gayest looking tag team photo of its kind possible. The close crop paired with Marty and Shawn facing the same direction makes it look like Shawn's holding Marty from behind.

I think I know what you are referencing but Warrior used to do that a lot in his promos. He would add in who he was speaking to in weird spots.

"I, Sgt. Slaughter, will walk into the Royal Rumble"...

Just a weird Warrior thing and it caught me off guard too.

Unless I missed it and he really did screw up.

What was Lord Alfred's problem with the ref during the Haku match? He was on the poor guy's case all throughout the match.

I would buy a "Best of Prime Time Wrestling" DVD even if it only had the studio portions. The Brain was on fire in this one.

"Why don't you just sit down?"

"I can't, there's a tree in my chair."

"It's an artificial tree so I did an artificial job in decorating it."

The ref's counts were pretty slow. I can see where he was bitching.

I also like how Hayes went back full heel and mentioned how he only got himself presents at Christmas.