TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Nate

Primetime Disscussion Thread

You never knew what you were going to get with Lord Alfred. Sometimes he chastises the heels for being dirty, but then in another match he'll root for them because he has an unspecified reason for disliking the face.

Very good Prime Time today, from New Year's Eve 1987. Gorilla and the Brain are back at Caesar's Palace, bickering as always. A few notes from the show...

-Ted Dibiase appears as the special guest of Bobby Heenan. This would set up Dibiase buying Andre's contract shortly thereafter and lead to Hogan losing the title.

-Features Jake Roberts vs HTM for the Intercontinental title. Really a glorified punchfest but still worth a view. We get The Bulldogs vs the Islanders were Heenan and company steal Mathilda. Watch as the Bulldogs fall on their butts going after her.

-We get first mention of The Royale Rumble. Some interesting notes...The Killer Bees vs Demolition is announced for the card and we never get that match, unless it was the dark match. Monsoon calls the RR a "free gift to the fans of the WWF." More like Vince's second attempt to screw over Jim Crockett, who was holding the NWA's first real PPV that night.

-We get footage of the Slammys, featuring some (but not all) of the kickass brawl between Jim Duggan and Harley Race. Also we're "treated" to a performance of Stand Back by Vincent Kennedy McMahon.

-Gorilla makes a total falsehood twice during the show, stating that Jake Roberts is a former IC Chamipion trying to get his title back from HTM.

-More on the Patera/Hayes vs Demoltion feud, one I don't remember at all.

Prime Time notes:

- Monsoon notes that Bam Bam was a big star in 1977 (but then corrects himself).

- I laugh every time Monsoon mentions Miss Betty ("I thought Miss Betty knew all about fruits").

- Mean Gene REPEATEDLY says "Rumble Royal".

- Ron Bass keeps saying it's a 30 man match, but Monsoon indeed confirms it's only a 20 man field when explaining the rules to Heenan. Was it originally going to be 30 until they realized the time constraints involved with being on free TV, or was The Outlaw a fortune teller?

- There is, no joke, a match between Iron Mike Sharpe vs. S.D. Jones. Heenan has a funny bit in the studio after this clash of the men who never win.

- Heenan twice causes Monsoon to completely break at the end of the show by making fun of Bruno's commentary.

No, Savage gave Gene a tour of his house (hung up the phone on a Japanese promoter offering him $400,000, suggested he send the three wrestlers to America where he'd beat them for free), then he was an in studio guest and declared "I like the natural boobs".

Yeah, Gene thanked the good folks at CV for the segment. I also think it already aired on TNT before, but it was good. I was trying to mentally picture if the pool in the segment was the same from the Flair / Liz photos.

TNT had some entertaining stuff.

-Savage is an absolute riot here, pretty much just playing with the crowd and saying his usual bizarre stuff.

-Mr. Homoerotic Paul Orndorff was on and cut a pretty good promo which had several in the audience cheering him. Gene reverted back to his usual "Orndorff had family members in the crowd" bit.

-A lot of sexual innuendo here with Savage and even Heenan's line that he was watching what Gene was doing as his hotel room.

-In today's PC world, I don't think putting on jackets with the stars and bars and waving Confederate flags would go over too well.

My version of Prime Time has sped up time and ends during the Rumble Royal conversation, but I enjoyed what I saw. They were really pushing Bret hard. It was funny in the Bret / Roma match, Bret did the 2nd rope elbow the way he does it if he's going to miss, but it actually hit and was the finisher. Wacky.

Pretty good stuff. Love how Monsoon was reading Heenan the riot act about passing up his shot at the WWF Championship and Heenan admitting he was only pursuing the title for the money it brought. It's a shame the Brain never got to manage the WWF Champion, even if it was only a minute. Great Heenan/Monsoon banter overall.

Good point about the Bret match. Bret was one of the few heels that Monsoon pushed hard.

Some more innuendo, with Monsoon noting that Steve Lombardi has found himself in a lot of compromising positions. This led to another joke about the "Terry Garvin School of Self-Defense."

Another funny bit is Andre referring to the WWF Championship as the "World World Heavyweight Championship." He would refer to it as that after he won the title regularly...think he might have called it the World Tag Team Championship too.

Anyone catch the last episode TNT? Good lord is Jake out of it. I was half expecting him to go Heroes of Wrestling on everybody.

"I'm a send tretter not a send follower."

Edited by Petrol CB

The last episode of TNT is up. It's amazing how much fun they were having with Jake Roberts, who was supposed to be a heel. And was Ricky Steamboat roided out or what?

Anyone catch the last episode TNT? Good lord is Jake out of it. I was half expecting him to go Heroes of Wrestling on everybody.

"I'm a send tretter not a send follower."

He didn't sound drunk or wasted to me. He sounded very legible. Sounds like he just goofed.

Watching now...the Jake bit is hilarious as he and Gene do a ton of cheesy double entendres about Damian.

Sheik just dropped a Rikidozan reference?? How was this guy even a heel given how hilariously silly he was on these TNT shows?

Because he was from IRAN! And they were just coming off the Iran hostage crisis, so it would have been a little hard to do that.

Yeah, I was actually laughing when Okerlund and Jake were making all those dick references.

I watched that part last night and it was pretty damn funny. I guess they figured it was the last show so they'd let them get away with that stuff. Jake was making a jerking off motion too, only he didn't do it with the snake. ;) Jake was still a heel here but you never would have known it the way he's interacting with everyone. Even the fans are on his side, with one of them asking when he'll put Steamboat out of his misery. That's what I liked about the TNT audience. They weren't plants like with the later studio audience for Prime Time in 1991. They cheered for heels like Piper and Orndorff and laughed at the jokes of Savage and Heenan. Not bad for an 80s WWF crowd.

I'll have to watch the rest later...I hear Slick shows up.

TNT was one of those shows that got better the more I watched it. When I first saw it the reaction was like "A talk show with wrestlers...ugh." But then I watched more and it was a lot of fun since you get to see different sides of these guys in unscripted segments (or at least only moderately scripted bits). The heels got cheered because they showed a different side than they would in a typical promo.

Sure, Sheik was from Iran but if you watch these interviews how can anyone hate the guy? Or Volkoff either? They were so goofy and ingratiating that I doubt I'd ever boo them after seeing this stuff.

Sheik is all kinds of awesome. I got his autograph once. The guy in front of me handed him one of the old rubber Sheik wrestling figures for him to sign. He took it and said "Oh, very valuable. Worth 500 dollar!"

If Muraco and Fuji had done those Fuji Vice skits now, they would have become so popular that the WWE would have had no choice but to turn them face. Huge push today I think.

Saw the rest of the show. I think Scott Keith was right that everyone was on mushrooms. The show was loaded with sexual innuendo. We had Gene saying that after seeing Elizabeth's picture, Steele went into the men's room. Liked Slick saying he liked the bear because he was black.

TNT is mixed with me. Some episode are really boring. They did a year-end show for 1985 which was forty-five of the longest minutes of my life. But with the right guest, the show could be really good. Roddy Piper, Randy Savage, and Bobby Heenan were gold on that show.

Exactly who is that Woman that I always see on the TNT shows? She's wearing glasses and holds up a sign throughout the program? Gene asks her a question during the show at 0:12 of the show. She asks Jake "The Snake" Roberts a question. She was one of the girls on The Bobby Heenan Show as well. I think she was on the Monday Night Raw episodes as well as one of the "Raw girls"

What relationship did she have with the WWE at the time? I wonder what she's up to today?

I really enjoyed TNT. It was a show I didn't watch as a kid, because it came on too late. I don't think we had cable when it first aired in 1984. The exhanges between Roberts and Okerlund throughout the show were really funny.

eoy1h.jpg

Does the TNT intro give anyone else goosebumps? Even after all these episodes, I still trip out to feeling like I am 6 years old again. That Cold War victorious sounding moderern classical music with the outer space behind the wwf logo was so Star Wars. Can you imagine that intro being used for Raw todayHow times have changed, my mind would always go into a time warp when hering the music, I'm expecting to see Reagan on a news flash