TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DrVenkman PhD

Legends Programming

Holy shit!! On the Tony Atlas Vs. King Kong Bundy match, Bundy has a full head of hair, has a blue Onsie on and is known as Chris Kanyon!!!!!!

I'm going to second this because wow, what odd and rare footage. The match is pretty bad with a bunch of slow motion arm wringers and I almost stopped watching after seeing the novelty of head of hair Chris "KKB" Canyon in the ring, but I persevered to see Tony Atlas GORILLA PRESS SLAM~! Bundy. Now that was something.

Eh, I was rather disappointed with the Legends show...sure it was great hearing the stories the panel had to share, but I would have liked to see more mention of some of the current guys rather than simple gloss overs. Hell, they barely talked about JYD. Also, there was ZERO mention of Harlem Heat and Booker T specifically. Look, I understand bridges were burned, but Booker T is the most decorated African American star not named The Rock and not mentioning him at all is ridiculous. It's not like he killed a family.

Eh, I was rather disappointed with the Legends show...sure it was great hearing the stories the panel had to share, but I would have liked to see more mention of some of the current guys rather than simple gloss overs. Hell, they barely talked about JYD. Also, there was ZERO mention of Harlem Heat and Booker T specifically. Look, I understand bridges were burned, but Booker T is the most decorated African American star not named The Rock and not mentioning him at all is ridiculous. It's not like he killed a family.

I was also kind of surprised there was just passing mention of Ernie Ladd, considering he is a Hall of Fame member, and Watts was on the panel. Watts did talk about him some, but not as much as I thought he would have. They did bring up the fact Ladd was pretty much the first African American booker, but they didn't even discuss how Ladd was really one of the first African American heels as opposed to a non-threatening type babyface.

The exclusion of Booker T was inexcuseable. They've had no problem mentioning Kurt Angle on this show before. I agree more could have been said about JYD and Ladd too. But I still enjoyed it. Needed to be longer.

Yes, they could have added at least another hour talking about stars of the modern era. No mention of Ahmed Johnson...wasn't he the first black IC champ (in other words, the first black singles title champion)? Not to mention he was scary over prior to his summer 96 injury. No Bobby Lashley mention. Not good enough, E.

Yes, they could have added at least another hour talking about stars of the modern era. No mention of Ahmed Johnson...wasn't he the first black IC champ (in other words, the first black singles title champion)? Not to mention he was scary over prior to his summer 96 injury. No Bobby Lashley mention. Not good enough, E.

Ahmed was red-hot. IC Champion and before he got injured, he won a battle royal to face HBK for the World title. His injuries though destroyed him.

That Faraaq promo was interesting and he actually mentions Bobo Brazil being U.S. Champion in 1997. Speaking of Brazil, I thought the promo they showed of him from Florida was pretty damn good.

-Liked the part where Tony Atlas talked about how bad his relationship with Rocky Johnson was. Those two really could have had a very successful run if they could manage to get along. I was sure what to expect from Atlas but he was a very good storyteller.

-Ole Anderson came across as a real prick, huh?

In Ole's world he's the greatest wrestler to ever lace up a pair of boots, and anyone who wrestled after 1985 doesn't know how to work. Atleast from what I've seen of his shoot interviews.

In Ole's world he's the greatest wrestler to ever lace up a pair of boots, and anyone who wrestled after 1985 doesn't know how to work. Atleast from what I've seen of his shoot interviews.

Yeah... that's Ole 100%. He is also bitter that more "entertainment" style performers outdrew him (Jim Cornette tells a story in his shoot interviews about how Ole was always pissed that the Cornette/Baby Doll angle got a higher spot on cards than Ole did).

I'd be remiss if I didn't add to the discussion the tidbit from the Flair shoot that Ole slapped a young (maybe teenaged?) David in the face just for kicks one time.

I don't think he was a teenager (If I remember right, it was at an autograph signing/show), and it was right after David had started with WCW. Although, I might be mistaken.

After watching that roundtable, I think Watts should be brought back as a panelist for future roundtables.

He'll be back for the Legends of Texas Wrestling roundtable during March.

What the hell is "WCW Main Event"? Was that the name of their Sunday night show? I thought it was WCW Pro but maybe that was Sunday morning. Anyway, it's really odd because I expected a small studio match for Hogan/Kamala but they're in a big arena with a set. They kept talking about COTC until the point I realized the Clash show was apparently on right after this show ended. I guess my question is why the hell did WCW run a free show from the Clash arena with a Hogan main event BEFORE their free Clash show on the same network? This seems a bit stupid.

Hogan vs. Atlas is fun if only for Hogan's technicolour dreamcape and him telling Atlas he should be "shining his boots". They have a 2 minute match which seems to end rather mysteriously - Atlas is on the offense, they cut to the crowd, then Hogan gives Atlas an atomic drop on the top rope. Odd way to end a match.

What the hell is "WCW Main Event"? Was that the name of their Sunday night show? I thought it was WCW Pro but maybe that was Sunday morning. Anyway, it's really odd because I expected a small studio match for Hogan/Kamala but they're in a big arena with a set. They kept talking about COTC until the point I realized the Clash show was apparently on right after this show ended. I guess my question is why the hell did WCW run a free show from the Clash arena with a Hogan main event BEFORE their free Clash show on the same network? This seems a bit stupid.

Hogan vs. Atlas is fun if only for Hogan's technicolour dreamcape and him telling Atlas he should be "shining his boots". They have a 2 minute match which seems to end rather mysteriously - Atlas is on the offense, they cut to the crowd, then Hogan gives Atlas an atomic drop on the top rope. Odd way to end a match.

WCW Main Event originally aired on Sunday nights when it debuted in 1988, moving to Saturday mornings in summer 1996. WCW Pro was on Saturday mornings before they moved it to Sundays and placed it an hour earlier.

In 1995 and 1996, Main Event was used as the live countdown show for PPVs, and they decided to do a Sunday Clash with the live main event format. It only happened this one time with a Clash (IIRC, Vader vs. Arn and Flair to set up Arn vs. Flair at Fall Brawl was the main event of the Clash.)

WCW Main Event originally aired on Sunday nights when it debuted in 1988, moving to Saturday mornings in summer 1996. WCW Pro was on Saturday mornings before they moved it to Sundays and placed it an hour earlier.

In 1995 and 1996, Main Event was used as the live countdown show for PPVs, and they decided to do a Sunday Clash with the live main event format. It only happened this one time with a Clash (IIRC, Vader vs. Arn and Flair to set up Arn vs. Flair at Fall Brawl was the main event of the Clash.)

I fondly remember the hey-day of TBS' weekend triple threat:

-Power Hour on Friday night

-World Championship Wrestling on Saturday afternoon

-The Main Event on Sunday afternoon

I guess my question is why the hell did WCW run a free show from the Clash arena with a Hogan main event BEFORE their free Clash show on the same network? This seems a bit stupid.

If I recall from an old Observer, it was something to do with Hogan's contract, if he had wrestled on the Clash show they would have had to pay him a lot more money (same reason he didn't wrestle on some PPVs that year also)

I used to love watching Saturday Night as I either got ready to go out in high school or was settling in for a night at home. I definitely miss great WCW Saturday evening wrestling.

I almost forgot...

In addition to the weekend TBS shows, you always had Worldwide in syndication somewhere on Saturday morning, you had the WCW/WGN show for a while, plus Superstars, Wrestling Challenge, and then All-American Wrestling on Sunday mornings.

The weekends used to be loaded.

On the Legends of Wrestling: WrestleMania show, I noticed for the first time during the clip of Pete Rose's ranting on Boston from WrestleMania XIV that both Linda McMahon & Stephanie McMahon are show in the crowd reacting to what he's saying. In fact, Stephanie is on her feet cheering.

Hogan vs. Henning was a match I actually enjoyed. It's from a Thunder in 1999 which raises the question, "Why the hell was Hogan wrestling on WCW Thunder?" I though his contract opted him out of such things.

It was cool seeing the Hogan/Backlund tag team match. That was one of Hogan's only matches before he won the title and it was the passing of the torch with Backlund being phased out. Funny to see Hogan use more scientific wrestling and some of his old Japan moves.

I read a few years ago they aired those Championship Wrestling shows with Hogan, Orndorff, Piper, Mean Gene debuting. I would love to see those again and the Bobby Heenan Show.

That Monsoon/Andre boxing match is oddly entertaining. It basically turns into Gorilla and Andre trying to outdick each other.

I enjoyed the look back at Gino Morella, the intelligent 1961 heel.