TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
AnnieEclectic

Does anyone here -play- music?

Just curious, I've never been one to simply sit back and enjoy something, I have to -do- it. Couple years back I got a guitar and amp and got hooked, still playing to this day. 'Course I still suck but I still play since it's fun.

Any other aspiring musicians here? All I see is stuff about -other- musicians. What do you make?

-Annie

i have no musical talents what-so-ever.

i can't make a kazoo work.

when i was in the 2nd grade, we had a class-wide music and singing thing. they gave me the triangle because they knew better than to give me anything more complicated.

though if i had one of them expensive keyboards, i could prolly lay down some beep boop beep shit, but the world doesn't need more electronica crap.

i'm a stunningly mediorcre guitar player. if your band ever needs someone to do some killer nondescript strumming, i'm your man.

I have some excellent equipment (84 Gibson Explorer with a classic Music Man head, Ibanez Artwood Acoustic) but I am embarrassingly bad at playing.

i'm a stunningly mediorcre guitar player. if your band ever needs someone to do some killer nondescript strumming, i'm your man.

Funny, since my specialty seems to be nondescript lead riffs. We could make a totally nondescript band that bases themselves more on costume and style!

*looks at ipod*

I mean, I listen to that type of stuff so there's an audience! :D

-Annie

I can play a mean skin flute, but nothing besides. Many frustrating failed attempts at learning guitar and piano litter my past.

I've been a violinist for 17 years (I'm 22.)

Damn! I love violin too, I would imagine you're rather good having played so long. If you ever want to throw some violin tracks into weird melodic metal, let me know ;)

-Annie

When I was MCing a high school talent show back in 11th grade, an act called Reg Gae didn't show up so me and a friend filled in for them by playing a cover of "I Shot The Sheriff" and I played the hand drums. That's the extent of me playing music.

Guest Tzar Lysergic

I play guitar and bass guitar. Working on building an aeolian wind harp. I'm also adept at finding samples, and am an amateur producer.

I played violin for years, but it took a back seat because I played multiple sports and was always busy. I have a classical guitar that my grandfather won in a poker game years and years ago before he died. I have started to learn to play it three times, and I always let it go. I need to pick it up and not put it down.

I've been playing guitar for a year and a half. I'm told that I'm improving at a rapid pace, but who knows?

That's exactly how I feel. People tell me my skills are improving but I guess as you see it increase in a very small rate daily, you don't see it. Sort of like how you never know you're really gaining weight until suddenly you're a fatass.

-Annie

Been a guitarist for the last 8 years or so. I'm pretty solid, considering all I learned to play was metal by learning to read/write tablature and then playing Slayer and Metallica tunes, and I do a lot of fast picking and tremolo shit. I'm currently in a band that plays a groove-laden blend of hardcore and thrash metal...which comes down to use sounding a lot like Roots-era Sepultura meets Stop at Nothing-era Dying Fetus.

Excyde

No tunes up yet, but should be up in the next few weeks. Yeah.

Been playing guitar for 20 years now. I'm a passable rhythm player nowadays, though I am going through a rut where I need people to jam with more than anything else, since playing to tracks is getting boring, and learning new songs is tedious.

Guest Smues

I was a percussionist through high school but not good enough to make it at the college level so my musical life is over.

When I was in the 5th grade I played the Cello. Next year I was like "wow, this is lame" and switched to bass. Been playing that ever since. A couple years after that I picked up the guitar. I'm pretty bad at both of them.

I played the flute for three years in from 7th until 9th grade. I picked it up a few weeks ago and I can't even remember how to make sounds.

Guest Beastalentier
though if i had one of them expensive keyboards, i could prolly lay down some beep boop beep shit, but the world doesn't need more electronica crap.

No, you definitely couldn't, and no, more of it couldn't hurt.

I played Alto Saxophone from 7th to 11th grade, picked up the Tuba because all the Tuba players were graduating halfway through my Junior Year and I wasn't going to beat out the All-State First Chair on Sax for a spot in the band that went on Tour.

Played Tuba for a couple years in college while studying to be a Music Teacher, realised that teaching would be a horrible career choice for me, and dropped instrumentals completely.

I still have my mouthpiece though, maybe I'll buzz in it for old times sake.

Guest Beastalentier

TaigaStar just covered Cluster '71 in its entirety with her that-there-new-fancy-schmancy keyboard thingy, before and after killing a whole box of Donut Sticks.

I'm pretty good at guitar, but the blue/orange hammer-ons are hard.

Beat me to it. My real guitar work has suffered a bit since GH was introduced to me last April.

There was discussion a few months ago whether I played, or my name was a gimmick. I genuinely have been playing since I was 9-1/2 (I'm currently 23). I have an Ibanez electric and a Bentley acoustic (yard sale, bay-bee!). I mostly play metal and power chord shit. For about 5 or 6 years, all I played was blues, which I still do pretty often on my acoustic.

Interestingly, I wanted to play drums when I was 5 or 6.

I picked up the bass this past December. As I spend almost all of my time up at school and I didn't bother to bring it with me I hardly ever play it. But I am able to play two songs - Meat Loaf's "Rock & Roll Dreams Come Through" and the Strike Force theme from Piledriver: The Wrestling Album II, "Girls in Cars". Oh, also I can play Marilyn Manson's version of "Sweet Dreams (Are Made of This)" but that doesn't count since the bassline consists of all of three notes.